Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

DisDisDis posted:

They got compared a lot back when I was watching them and I think NGE's the better show. I have zero affection for either one at this point though so. Every animation fan should see EoE at some point though.

Hm. I don't feel like there's much similarity to compare them besides them both being really good, but NGE and Madoka are both easily among the greatest anime ever made, and you can't really go wrong with either of them. IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Extremely disagreed on the second one :twisted:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I think it's because the Deconstruction meme was at its peak at the time and they were seen as the deconstructions of the mech and magic girl genres respectively

And I could see how you'd draw comparisons between the shinji - dad and madoka -kyubeii relationships

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
edit: nvm

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu WILL affect you deeply.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm a massive Haruko Kumota fan and every time someone brings up Rakugo it gets more and more hosed up that I haven't read or watched it

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

I'm a massive Haruko Kumota fan and every time someone brings up Rakugo it gets more and more hosed up that I haven't read or watched it

Dis: “I’m so hosed up”

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Who here hasn't busted a nut to a Haruko Kumota joint

RME
Feb 20, 2012

it probably doesn’t help that everything gets compared to Eva too

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
If you want a good long cry watch 'Grave of the Fireflies'.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

bogoodski posted:

As an outsider, I will say that the vigor in which some points are being expressed here and the fans' passion that it reflects, makes me think that the anime at the source of it must be pretty good to warrant that sort of emotion.

I definitely want something that requires emotional investment. I’m one of those “go big or go home” type of people, and I don’t really do anything just “in passing” (I can’t even post on a message board concisely; clearly!), so I think I want a show that leaves me emotionally fatigued at the end of each episode. So far, Bebop has been pretty successful at doing that. Though, the more intensity in that regard, the better. (Also, as a glimpse of my next review, this sentiment is why the Ballad of the Fallen Angel was so compelling to me while episodes six and seven, which seemed more emotionally moderate in nature, were less so).

What I’m trying to say is: You can’t make me cry! And I hope your recommendations take that as a challenge.

I appreciate your honest and open-minded approach & I think ADRTW could use more posters like you.

Droyer posted:

Since you don't have any particular preference, my suggestion would be that once you're finished with Bebop is to try something completely different every time so you get a kind of sample platter of anime, though I think it's a bit early to give out specific recommendations right now.

I agree! Every poster here has their own wildly different preferences for anime, and the best way to know where you fit is to dip a toe in all the different pools! Of course, I'm gonna go ahead and recommend one...

I think you should watch My Hero Academia. It's a hugely popular current anime in one of the longest-standing, most popular genres (superpowered battle anime). It's big on the big dramatic confrontations and tearful moments, and it's very accessible, since it has a quality dub and it's hugely influenced by western superhero comics. I can't think of a better way to get a keyhole look at 'modern anime'. It made me cry twice, and hell, you've already posted in the thread.

*This chart represents our votes for Anime of the Year 2018. I'm not expecting it to mean anything in particular to you, just to show 'hey, preferences are all over!' I'm hugely into the kind of cute-girls-exploding-things anime that posters like CubeTheory think ruined anime, for instance.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

DisDisDis posted:

Who here hasn't busted a nut to a Haruko Kumota joint

... I had to look up who that was, and, ... me.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

... I had to look up who that was, and, ... me.

you should get on that

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'm like 99% sure that's not my thing :shrug:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

u sp33k l33t br0 posted:

If you want a good long cry watch 'Grave of the Fireflies'.

I would be kind of concerned about somebody who doesn't at least tear up while watching Grave of the Fireflies.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

I'm like 99% sure that's not my thing :shrug:

There's a sexy hostess single mom in Itoshi no Nekkoke

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i know a girl....

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Davincie posted:

i know a girl....

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

DisDisDis posted:

There's a sexy hostess single mom in Itoshi no Nekkoke

Hmmmmmmm

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Thundarr posted:

I would be kind of concerned about somebody who doesn't at least tear up while watching Grave of the Fireflies.

I watched that movie in a film class and one guy didn't cry because humans deserve suffering

If it was animals he would have cried

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Oh.

What was Catholic school like?

E: alternatively, Jewish school.
We have a whole holiday where we contemplate how terrible we are!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Oh.

How do you celebrate that? I assume you had a proper Festivus pole?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Naw, you don't eat all day and you go to temple.

There's a reason i don't practice actively.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I ctrl+F Utena and found no results in 4 pages what the heck guys

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda wonder if it's helpful to new watchers to explain the sort of categories/genres/audiences of stuff.

Like, Shounen vs Seinen for example.

My Hero Academia is a shonen which is basically the equivalent of Saturday morning cartoons- it's targeted towards tweens/teens pretty much and (generally) is supposed to have positive messages/good endings/etc. Japanese TV/publishers allow for a lot more violence/grey area morality/sex/etc than US Saturday Morning cartoons and equivalent media ever did so characters can indeed die on-screen, there can be blood/intense violence, some moral greyness, "fanservice", etc. but it still follows very standard patterns. In the end the good guys almost always win and the badguys almost always lose, and friendship/cooperation/etc are the catalyst for victory.

Weekly Shonen Jump is basically the big magazine for this stuff and is where One Piece, My Hero Academia, etc. are all published and their whole motto is "Friendship, Effort, Victory". Like anything out of WSJ is going to follow that sort of pattern, particularly "battle shonen". It's not like this sort of thing following "The hero with a thousand faces" is surprising but if you start watching/reading shonen it'll all seem very familiar very quickly.

Like sometimes I question using Cowboy Bebop as an entry point for this stuff because it's really loving good but it's structure isn't like most of the stuff people here usually watch. Like going from Bebop to something like MHA or any battle shonen really is pretty huge change in structuring/tone/etc.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Fabricated posted:

I kinda wonder if it's helpful to new watchers to explain the sort of categories/genres/audiences of stuff.

Like, Shounen vs Seinen for example.

My Hero Academia is a shonen which is basically the equivalent of Saturday morning cartoons- it's targeted towards tweens/teens pretty much and (generally) is supposed to have positive messages/good endings/etc. Japanese TV/publishers allow for a lot more violence/grey area morality/sex/etc than US Saturday Morning cartoons and equivalent media ever did so characters can indeed die on-screen, there can be blood/intense violence, some moral greyness, "fanservice", etc. but it still follows very standard patterns. In the end the good guys almost always win and the badguys almost always lose, and friendship/cooperation/etc are the catalyst for victory.

Weekly Shonen Jump is basically the big magazine for this stuff and is where One Piece, My Hero Academia, etc. are all published and their whole motto is "Friendship, Effort, Victory". Like anything out of WSJ is going to follow that sort of pattern, particularly "battle shonen". It's not like this sort of thing following "The hero with a thousand faces" is surprising but if you start watching/reading shonen it'll all seem very familiar very quickly.

Like sometimes I question using Cowboy Bebop as an entry point for this stuff because it's really loving good but it's structure isn't like most of the stuff people here usually watch. Like going from Bebop to something like MHA or any battle shonen really is pretty huge change in structuring/tone/etc.

Well I don't watch battle shonen so :colbert:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

OP is definitely taking the thread well in stride but personally i find the tendency to hover and worry about new fans' initiation into the medium to be kinda patronizing. i don't think he is assuming Bebop is the standard, and he obviously values the experience of trying new stuff so i'm sure the difference will be apparent when he gets to watching a shonen series. ultimately, terms like "shonen" are just indicating the target demo. they aren't terribly relevant since they don't really indicate depth of story/characters/themes or even the degree to which violence and nudity may be present.

half the time a series gets labeled as one or the other solely based on the magazine it happens to run in.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

bogoodski posted:

Okay, since recommendations are coming in, I might as well tell you about my preferences. Though, to say that I have preferences is really a stretch. Seriously, I’m bookish to the degree that I’m uncomfortable even mentioning it because I sense it comes across as obnoxious.

Hey, that's cool. Don't be down on your being a bookworm! Tell us some of the books you like reading, and maybe we can recommend some anime to watch that are like them!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hunter x Hunter 2011 version is also really good

Moyashimon is also really good

Barakamon too

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I get the feeling it might not be a good idea to overwhelm the op with the subtle nuances between shounen and seinen 7 episodes in to cowboy bebop. Maybe let him get nearer the end before showering him with the complete top 50 anims he must see.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Oh.

This was a public university

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Namtab posted:

I get the feeling it might not be a good idea to overwhelm the op with the subtle nuances between shounen and seinen 7 episodes in to cowboy bebop. Maybe let him get nearer the end before showering him with the complete top 50 anims he must see.
It's not really subtle. This makes me want to dig out my Bebop DVDs- I haven't rewatched it in a long time.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

DrSunshine posted:

Hey, that's cool. Don't be down on your being a bookworm! Tell us some of the books you like reading, and maybe we can recommend some anime to watch that are like them!

Or just recommend R.O.D - Read or Die OVA (original video anime). It's about a nice lady who really likes books.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Evangelion isn't really a good recommendation for...well, anyone, anymore. It's next to impossible to legally acquire outside of Japan without breaking your wallet in half.

I really wish my DVD set hadn't gotten stolen. :sigh:

Beato Believer posted:

Or just recommend R.O.D - Read or Die OVA (original video anime). It's about a nice lady who really likes books.

I'm gonna second this. R.O.D. OVA is great.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Dexie posted:

legally acquire

Never said anything about that m'boy

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ease of/legality of acquisition are worth considering when it comes to a recommendation but for something like Evangelion it would be laughable to expect someone to shell out cash for inflated OOP discs that give no money to any of the rights holders.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I own all the eva dvds

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

bogoodski posted:

What I’m trying to say is: You can’t make me cry! And I hope your recommendations take that as a challenge.

Thanks for the guidance and discussion.

I probably can't, but the music in Cowboy Bebop goddamn might. :gbsmith: Stick with it, looking forward to watching along with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018

DrSunshine posted:

"Bookish" may have been the wrong adjective. "Studious", maybe? I really enjoy learning, for learning's sake. I go careening down a lot of Wikipedia rabbit holes. I've studied Russian (without success) for a long time. I've studied programming (with more breakthroughs, but still no success -at least not financially) for a shorter time.

Okay.

No review tonight. I watched Heavy Metal Queen last night. I want to write a review, but the words just aren't coming to me. I keep trying but each attempt has just devolved into a nonsensical digression that I read and then delete.

You all are being awfully kind in ensuring that my introduction to anime is a fruitful one. So, in return, I'm not going to allow my contribution be just a review written for the sake of writing. I mean, this isn't the Rolling Stone, I know, but I do want to provide words worth reading.

So, I'm going to watch another episode and collect my thoughts. Hopefully, I'll have something for you tomorrow.

• Locked thread