Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

bogoodski posted:

About to catch another episode(s). Review first!

Last night, I watched Jamming with Edward. It compelled me to immediately watch Ganymede Elegy. So, yeah, it was good.

What can I say, folks? I'm all in!

Despite whatever misgivings I may have about the character development during any individual episode (modest misgivings, as they are), the growth of the main characters throughout the duration of the series has been deceptively alluring. As much as I want to say that the Bebop writers try too hard to convince the viewers of the distinctiveness of each character's personality, that criticism seems hollow when I realize that right now I'm sitting here, wondering "What's Spike gonna get into tonight??!?"

Ganymede Elegy highlighted that character intrigue excellently, perhaps better than any Bebop episode since the Ballad of the Fallen Angel. In this episode, the impenetrable Jet demonstrated his vulnerability. And for this viewer, a fairly mild-mannered combat veteran-turned-pacifist, 2,500 miles from a past purposely left behind, Jet became so uniquely relatable.

Needless to say, Elegy was one of my favorite episodes. And as a counter to Jamming with Edward's off-the-wall "funness", its poignancy made the two a really rewarding viewing combo.

As a character, Edward is a fun addition to the family. Though, like Bebop as a whole, he isn't without flaw. But, here's the thing: I can't possibly sit here and opine negatively about a show when I had so much fun watching last night's episodes. And have so much excitement about tonight's. Maybe during future reviews I'll be more up for nit-picking but, tonight, pointing out Bebop weaknesses really feels like it's an exercise in missing the forest for the trees.

As an aside: Bebop does a wonderful job of accurately depicting technology that didn't really exist in that form during the show's time. Like Edward's toy drone, for example. Which may not be the best case because drones existed at the time of Bebop but it's the first example that comes to mind of a phenomenon that I've noticed a handful of times.

e - Original post referred to Edward as "Eddie." And that's weird. So, I fixed that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR4TDBXebWc

He's the Black Dog and when he bites he never let's go. :gbsmith:

Toys in the Attic is up next. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Toys in the Attic tends to be disliked by a lot of people I know for being a throwaway episode even for a throwaway episode.

I think it's kinda fun myself.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Toys in the Attic is a great episode.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Fabricated posted:

Toys in the Attic tends to be disliked by a lot of people I know for being a throwaway episode even for a throwaway episode.

I think it's kinda fun myself.

I like it too. I think it's dumb in a fun way, it's a good break from some serious stuff.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Toys in the Attic is a great Alien half-homage half-parody.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Toys in the Attic is a great, fun episode and it’s good to have something lighthearted here considering what comes after.

Mo_Steel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR4TDBXebWc

He's the Black Dog and when he bites he never let's go. :gbsmith:

Toys in the Attic is up next. :stonk:

Elm is such a great track. One of the more underrated pieces of Bebop music I think.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Thundarr posted:

I would be kind of concerned about somebody who doesn't at least tear up while watching Grave of the Fireflies.
Sitting through the previews for Black Panther there was an ad for "All of the Studio Ghibli favorites" and Grave of the Fireflies was there. I giggled to myself thinking "Somebody is in for a big surprise."

Also: OP: Cowboy Bebop had a strange release, where there were about 15 episodes originally, mostly concerning the main Spike and Jet plot threads. Some episodes feel like filler because they were filler to get to two 13 episode seasons. For me, once I really got to know the characters the filler episodes felt a lot better, especially the comedic episodes near the end of the series.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 5, 2018

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

Also: OP: Cowboy Bebop had a strange release, where there were about 15 episodes originally, mostly concerning the main Spike and Jet plot threads. Some episodes feel like filler because they were filler to get to two 13 episode seasons. For me, once I really got to know the characters the filler episodes felt a lot better, especially the comedic episodes near the end of the series.

Is that what happened? From what I had heard, it was just that the TV station refused to broadcast a lot of the episodes so they weren't shown until a while later when a satellite station re-aired the whole thing.

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018
Just a quick update:

Still chugging along through Bebop. I had a busy weekend, some good (learned what anemones are with a friend while checking out coastal tide pools), some awful (a nasty pothole put my car in the shop), so no review.

Other than to say that I watched Toys in the Attic. And I enjoyed it. Though, I wonder how I would have felt about the episode had it came earlier in the series. That is to say that Toys in the Attic benefited from me having developed an appreciation for the characters. Had this session occurred earlier in the series, its "throw-away" nature may have been more distracting. As it was, it worked, and I enjoyed it.

It was kinda neat to see how each of the characters approached their fears and their reaction (especially Spike's) to each of their fellow crew members being bitten. I'll be interested in seeing if the dynamic between the group is consistent throughout the series because it intrigues me how they are very much individuals, in for the bounty hunt, and on the ship, for themselves. Yet, every once in a while, I notice a little glimpse of empathy amongst them, toward each other.

Maybe this was a review. Sort of stream of consciousness.

Needless to say, if I'm casually referring to Bebop characters as if they're real, I must be into it!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

esselfortium posted:

Is that what happened? From what I had heard, it was just that the TV station refused to broadcast a lot of the episodes so they weren't shown until a while later when a satellite station re-aired the whole thing.
I got it wrong, you're right.

Should I edit my wrongness out?

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018

CannonFodder posted:

I got it wrong, you're right.

Should I edit my wrongness out?

I'd say no, just to keep from making the subsequent conversation more confusing.

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018
Jupiter Jazz Part 1 😲

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018

bogoodski posted:

Jupiter Jazz Part 1 😲

And Part 2.

A. Where did that come from????

B. When Bebop gets real, it gets real!

Two incredible episodes. I'm pretty floored.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I don't mean to be presumptuous, but I think I speak for all of us when I say: we're glad you like it :)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I speak for all of us when I say: we're glad you like it :)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

bogoodski posted:

And Part 2.

A. Where did that come from????

B. When Bebop gets real, it gets real!

Two incredible episodes. I'm pretty floored.
Truthfully, as time has gone on, I've preferred this two-parter to the other one.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Jupiter Jazz might be my favorite Bebop episodes. Gren rules

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Jupiter Jazz...just reading the name gives me goosebumps. Makes me want a stiff drink despite not being a drinker.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's got one of the best tracks in the series' really good OST at the end.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Oh I love Jupiter Jazz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQv3dCkY2Tk

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Has anyone said “watch jojo’s bizarre adventure!” yet?

Cause I’m saying it

Watch jojo’s bizarre adventure!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I say, just like with LoGH: not yet. No super long series yet.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

RIP, Jupiter Jazz is incoming. Vicious episodes are a slog

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

RIP, Jupiter Jazz is incoming. Vicious episodes are a slog

Jupiter Jazz already happened a bit up the page

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I consistently think that I've "outgrown" Cowboy Bebop and moved on to other things. But I rewatched Jupiter Jazz and yeah it still owns, Gren owns. This and the fact that one specific scene with Faye can still make me cry has made me a lot less "Pffft, Bebop"

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Expect My Mom posted:

I consistently think that I've "outgrown" Cowboy Bebop and moved on to other things. But I rewatched Jupiter Jazz and yeah it still owns, Gren owns. This and the fact that one specific scene with Faye can still make me cry has made me a lot less "Pffft, Bebop"

Which scene? 'Anything but blue' is the one that gets to me, but I can think of a couple candidates.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's the videotape from Speak Like A Child, though that one is good too

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Expect My Mom posted:

it's the videotape from Speak Like A Child, though that one is good too

:cry:
Also maybe spoilers for bogo.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Man I dont even remember Fayes backstory, maybe I should watch Bebop again

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I like Jupiter Jazz. The way Jet pulls out the radio to call back a bounty and then it's like "oh yeah..." :smith:

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018
Question:

Was Bebop written originally for American audiences?

I ask because the beginning and the end of Jupiter Jazz feature what appears to me to be a native American character. Or is the native American archetype so recognizable that the character makes sense to non-American audiences?

Thanks. About to watch Bohemian Rhapsody. I'll be back.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

bogoodski posted:

Question:

Was Bebop written originally for American audiences?

I ask because the beginning and the end of Jupiter Jazz feature what appears to me to be a native American character. Or is the native American archetype so recognizable that the character makes sense to non-American audiences?

Thanks. About to watch Bohemian Rhapsody. I'll be back.

nope. Watanabe developed it with another Japanese series as inspiration (Lupin the III) and it just happened that his desire to create a sophisticated show with an adult sensibility fit really well into the niche anime had previously carved in the west. native american characters (or at least characters in native american clothing) do appear in anime/manga before Bebop as well. characters like Bora and Oopa from Dragonball and Walken from Baoh (both early 80's series) are some of the first to come to mind, but i'm certain you could find examples further back.

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018

dogsicle posted:

nope. Watanabe developed it with another Japanese series as inspiration (Lupin the III) and it just happened that his desire to create a sophisticated show with an adult sensibility fit really well into the niche anime had previously carved in the west. native american characters (or at least characters in native american clothing) do appear in anime/manga before Bebop as well. characters like Bora and Oopa from Dragonball and Walken from Baoh (both early 80's series) are some of the first to come to mind, but i'm certain you could find examples further back.

Cool. As I thought about this question more, it occurred to me that it was sort of naive of me, given that most all of the characters are western, that the native American would be the one unrecognizable to a foreign audience. It's interesting (to me, at least) to really think about how little of a frame of reference I have for understanding an outsider's perspective of American culture.

Bohemian Rhapsody's playful nature had the perfect tone to follow up and counter Jupiter Jazz's emotional gut punch. Ed has been a fun addition. The best part of the series, so far, has been experiencing the individual characters develop their own uniqueness. Each of the characters is as compelling as Spike. Which I would have never guessed back in episode one when he was the clear protagonist.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dogsicle posted:

ease of/legality of acquisition are worth considering when it comes to a recommendation but for something like Evangelion it would be laughable to expect someone to shell out cash for inflated OOP discs that give no money to any of the rights holders.

worrying too much about methods of acquisition is a good way to break rules and rule out fantastic shows and films

similarly, the sooner you get used to watching subs the sooner you can watch things that are either real old and didn't get dubbed or real new and didn't get simultaneous English releases

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

dogsicle posted:

Also sandman/soundman from jojo’s bizarre adventure

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

dogsicle posted:

edit: double post. Watch jojo’s bizarre adventure

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Soundman is a character from 2004, so I don't think he works as an example.

Also Japan isn't completely foreign to the concept, as they also have indigenous people, the Ainu. And there has been way more Native American representation in Japanese media than there ever has Ainu representation in Western media.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

at the very least, both Walken and Soundman were created by Araki. not really surprising that an author who is really into western media would've picked up native american iconography. you could say similar of Toriyama since Bora and Oopa exist in the same world as a knock-off Terminator.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Golden Kamui is really good and is getting an anime soon. It heavily features Ainu characters and the author has a legit Ainu historian as a consultant to keep it accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
God, I can't even fathom a golden kamui anime. Like, basically every single chapter has horrifically detailed, gratuitous violence or sexual imagery, decapitation and dismemberment, just...lots of that stuff all the time.

It's a fantastic series beyond all that, but still, it boggles my mind that it will have a TV anime

• Locked thread