Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well Blitzkrieg was a disappointment. Maybe if I came in with a pilot with +1 mech power so that the lightning whip boy could use buildings out of the gate, but without that I justcouldn't do any work. Lost on the first island. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

KPC_Mammon posted:

Difficulty seems tuned pretty well, so far I like the smoke team (beat it on normal first try) and hate the railgun/shields team (can't get past a single island). Anyone else have luck with them?

I beat my second run thanks to those guys. Get the rammy guy his +health ASAP, you need to be able to rely on him for damage without spending shields on him. Note that he can charge whenever, he doesn’t have to attack an enemy. Making the beam bot’s beam safe for allies is really good as well, lets you worry less about positioning.

What really carried the game was giving rammy guy a acid tank buddy module, though. Just having an extra body is already good, but being able to acid guys and, after upgrading, push, is wild. It can start shooting right when it’s created, too.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Put me down for "game good". I don't know if it's FTL good but it's easily $15 good. I really like how you know exactly what the enemies are going to do before each turn. When things go bad my reaction is always, "Ah, I didn't think this through." That's a nice contrast to FLT where it often felt like dice rolls had more effect on the outcomes than my decisions.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
One of the best quality-of-life upgrades I've found so far is the upgrade for the Rift Walker artillery mech's cannon that lets you target friendly buildings at 0 damage because it really opens up the options for utilizing it to prevent power grid damage. Especially with the scorpion Vek that have to get right next to a building, you can play keep-away with those guys while the rest of your squad does work.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ciaphas posted:

Well Blitzkrieg was a disappointment. Maybe if I came in with a pilot with +1 mech power so that the lightning whip boy could use buildings out of the gate, but without that I justcouldn't do any work. Lost on the first island. :(

You can chain it with the boulder and your other mechs until you've got the building power up. I usually go for damage over the building chain though.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
First rift wanker clear on normal at 8ish hours, thus I feel the game is easier than FTL.. but most certainly fun.

(I really suck at FTL)

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You can chain it with the boulder and your other mechs until you've got the building power up. I usually go for damage over the building chain though.

The boulder mech is incredible. You can use the boulder to block shots/movement, and also block Vek that are coming up.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

My laptop has trouble playing rogue legacy and bastion chugs. It runs nearly a constant 70 degrees celsius and it calls me a big homo. this game makes me want to risk setting my house on fire just so I can play it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm a little worried this game doesn't have the legs FTL has. Beat it on my second try, beat it a few more times without really having the opportunity to build the mechs any differently. Maybe once I unlock more squads and can do customization there? But the upgrades are just so expensive and the mech reactors are so limited that it doesn't seem like there is much room for customization beyond squad selection. Fun, but starting to feel samey after like 6 games.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Ciaphas posted:

You really need to abuse the grapple. Those dorks just gave me my first victory. I finished my second island and sold off some upgrades and completely forgot to upgrade my mechs when I hopped into the final island, so all I really had were just the basic units and the fully upgraded whip.

Stick to the maps with water and you'll be OK. Instant kills are always good. Also keep in mind you can use grapple dude to block a 1-damage hit, and you can lay down rocks for blocking.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'm not seeing the "doesn't have FTL's legs" issue here. The game lets you customize and change things, the maps are different each time. And it has FTL's Easy/Normal/Hard (or as Subset prefers to balance them: Normal/Hard/gently caress) settings. Also all the teams are wildly different, and as said you can make your own.

Did the Frozen Titans and I must say that it's the opposite of Zenith's "KILL EVERYTHING" as its abilities let it just shut the enemy down. I spent a lot of turns using my artillery as a wall since its default attack self-freezes it. Just park it up on surfacing dude and shoot somewhere, it blocks the Vek and you don't take damage. I didn't kill a single boss enemy the single game: every time I saw one I froze it and kept it frozen.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Note to self. "Building immune" artillery does not apply to satellite launch rockets :sigh:

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

The first time through with the starter squad it seems pretty shallow but it really opens up as you unlock new stuff. I would like to see maybe more maps with battlefields >8x8 and squads >3 but so far it's really cool.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Section Z posted:

Note to self. "Building immune" artillery does not apply to satellite launch rockets :sigh:

Allies are also not buildings. :v:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Got a 2 island win on normal on my first game, unlocked blitz and lost on the first map in 8 minutes

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Section Z posted:

It does apply to ice covering a building, so if you want to break five layers of ice for a star, maybe don't use your artillery.

Artillery is the worst.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mystic Mongol posted:

It does apply to ice covering a building, so if you want to break five layers of ice for a star, maybe don't use your artillery.

Artillery is the worst.

Yeah I discovered that one bit out myself earlier. However there's nothing saying you can't use the knockback to slam a Vek into the ice to break it though.

Also I love that challenge. Literally "just let the Vek have fun."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Where am I getting these additional coins from? I know I got some from getting the listed achievements, but I have more coins than just the 3 I've completed.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Picked up the game and can't wait to get home from work to try it. Played a ton of FTL so I'm willing to support the devs sight unseen. I imagine there will be lots of updates and support in the future so the game should only get better.
How's the soundtrack??

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Argue posted:

Where am I getting these additional coins from? I know I got some from getting the listed achievements, but I have more coins than just the 3 I've completed.

Every achievement, not just the three per team, gives one coin each.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What up with these goddamn assholes always focusing on buildings and not on my fighty bois. Is there an AI directive like "focus on objectives" or is it just random targets.

Pro tip: if you're gonna use the beam/shield team put the +armor pilot in the charge mech. Changes the fuckin game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Early lesson: Blocking new enemies is super-important. Also stepping on a burrow, throwing a boulder to kill an enemy, and having the boulder block another burrow... :cabot:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Blocking spawns is very important. On the penultimate turn, any blocked enemy spawn is an enemy that will never spawn. 1HP to effectively instant kill a monster is incredible value.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
A note for the future: confuse ray does NOT work on burrowers, despite clearly not being a "move" effect. :argh:

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

I'm a little worried this game doesn't have the legs FTL has. Beat it on my second try, beat it a few more times without really having the opportunity to build the mechs any differently. Maybe once I unlock more squads and can do customization there? But the upgrades are just so expensive and the mech reactors are so limited that it doesn't seem like there is much room for customization beyond squad selection. Fun, but starting to feel samey after like 6 games.

Try random squads. There is plenty of replayability.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Are the level up skills fixed for the special pilots? Or are they randomly drawn?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

The balance here is so superb and I`d only suggest one thing: scale enemy spawn blocking damage with turn count to mechs (1 damage on first turn, 2 on second, etc) and keep it at 1 for enemies no matter the turncount.

Game is beyond excellent. One reviewer called it Billiards and I agree. Billiards x Sudoku x Chess or just Sudoku x Chess might be enough to describe it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

jokes posted:

What up with these goddamn assholes always focusing on buildings and not on my fighty bois. Is there an AI directive like "focus on objectives" or is it just random targets.

Pro tip: if you're gonna use the beam/shield team put the +armor pilot in the charge mech. Changes the fuckin game.

In the long run the buildings are more important than your robits. That's by design.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Just won with the flame squad and I can why everyone was having trouble with them. Everyone probably did what I did the first time they used them and went "Flamethrowers, coooool!" and didn't realize they were a movement based set. It's all about moving and shuffling enemies about while they burn to death and once you figure that out they become hilariously awesome. Once you upgrade the flamethrower's range for the Prime mech you get to chose which tile gets pushed which is an interesting bit of control. Also if you can't get a good spot to land an artillery shot to set someone on fire or push them around, never be afraid to nail any rising Vek because that way they start on fire (though they won't take damage that turn). Oh and the little floating robot is hilarious for shuffling enemies about (or just dunking them into the water) once you get the range upgraded. Mine was borderline OP because I put Harvey on him, who's bonus is that his self-repair also pushes all four adjacent tiles away so I could swap places or I could push enemies.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Man, everyone's beaten this game already it feels like but I keep going back after one island just to mess with stuff. Whoever said Goo is a motherfucker isn't lying though, that thing cost me a perfect run.

My one complaint, and it could just be me, is I wish reactors were a little more plentiful because it feels like there are all sorts of neat upgrades but never really enough to go around to really start seeing some of the wackier combos, either that or some more equipment that doesn't take reactors for default use. I know there are some like that already, I just got one that lets me judo flip enemies for my Rift Walker mech. I dunno, I like tinkering with stuff. But even so, it feels great to clean sweep a level, I'd been shying away from the "kill X enemies" objective stages because I don't always focus on kills so much as damage mitigation and I wasn't sure if it would cost me my perfect run, but nothing feels better than making it all come together just so with a turn to spare.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Just won with the flame squad and I can why everyone was having trouble with them. Everyone probably did what I did the first time they used them and went "Flamethrowers, coooool!" and didn't realize they were a movement based set. It's all about moving and shuffling enemies about while they burn to death and once you figure that out they become hilariously awesome. Once you upgrade the flamethrower's range for the Prime mech you get to chose which tile gets pushed which is an interesting bit of control. Also if you can't get a good spot to land an artillery shot to set someone on fire or push them around, never be afraid to nail any rising Vek because that way they start on fire (though they won't take damage that turn). Oh and the little floating robot is hilarious for shuffling enemies about (or just dunking them into the water) once you get the range upgraded. Mine was borderline OP because I put Harvey on him, who's bonus is that his self-repair also pushes all four adjacent tiles away so I could swap places or I could push enemies.

Do units that are on fire take damage when pushed, or something?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Do units that are on fire take damage when pushed, or something?

Nope, they take one damage at the very start of the turn, before the environmental effects even drop. If an enemy has 1 HP you can set them on fire and know they're as good as dead. The Prime's flamethrower also has the bonus that it does 2 damage to enemies that are already on fire.

The flame squad is all about using your team's giant variety of enemy moving skills to keep pushing them about as they burn to death...and as you slam them into mountains and each other, or just push them into the ocean. That being said, getting their artillery's 3-core upgrade where it does 2 damage on the center tile is a much needed, and welcome, source of direct damage when you do snag it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is absurd how good the smoke team is. Smoke in general is just insanely good.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Couldn't get past the first island on Normal, but beat the game first try on Easy.

Not the best place to be in, challenge-wise :smith:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ImpAtom posted:

It is absurd how good the smoke team is. Smoke in general is just insanely good.

I got insanely hosed on the First Island playing with the Smoke Team with a spider spawning boss. I couldn't do anything and I think it may have been impossibe since the airplane won't smoke over two squares that early, the pusher guy just gets blocked or pushed into grid, and the arty just can't kill fast enough.

Other than that, seems decent

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
this game is fuckin good

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I've got a Harold Schmidt pilot (on repair, push all adjacent targets) who has +reactor, and he's been oddly effective on my Fog Team. Stick him in the pulse mech, and his power completely replaces the repulsor gun, allowing me to move the electric fog to the science ship and thus rush to +1 fog damage as soon as I get a single reactor core. (also this is the only way to get levels on that stupid push mech)

This dumb game's got options. Don't be afraid to switch off Archimedes!

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 28, 2018

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
God I still haven't had a chance to sit down and do a run. Everything sounds so good :cry:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Those 420 Smoke Erry Day guys seem hard to use, the jet's constraints on attacking and the artillery guy's awkward smoke placement leaves me confounded. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

ImpAtom posted:

I came here to post this. Their support guy is amazing, upgrade him to get shields and he can just sit on spawn points all day. I also was lucky enough to get the smoke air drop that covers 5 tiles in smoke- so I just coat the spawn area with it and everything dies without my mechs having to do anything. The jet is awesome with a pilot who has extra mobility. With a few upgrades it basically does 4 damage- 2 from its attack, 2 from the smoke.

I just had an amazing run with them, then lost because I accidentally pushed my jet into a fatal hazard on the final mission. What a braindead move.

I haven't had as much luck with the other squads, although I did manage to beat the game with Rift Walkers once. Really enjoying it so far.

Blisster fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 28, 2018