Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

:cry: i was so close on getting my Rift Walker perfect unfair game (0 failed objectives). hosed it up with 2 maps to go. failed on the last turn of this map because i forgot that the explodey rocks falling into the water would...explode.

*smashes abandon timeline*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

to be fair that's kinda a BS unintuitive mechanic

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

it took me about 500 tries (i played on four different devices and didn't keep track) but I finally did it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Congrats, were there any super good tricks you figured out

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

get lucky

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

real answer tho probably the biggest change i made was in map selection. i started ignoring most everything else other than building placement and water/acid/holes to kill vek easier. i prioritized maps with buildings further from the bottom edge of the map. don't do volatile vek, train, bomb missions. go for damage/fire psions first, take 1 mech reactor with you so you can get building immune on artillery right off the bat. that guy can move 2+ vek with one go so it's MVP.

other than that, getting lucky with the pod drops and just having things work out. definitely some tricky spots but just took my time to think about the best solution instead of rushing through like i usually do.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Well since this thread got bumped may as well advertise a new mod I’ve been working on with some other ITB folks. Vextra is a mod that adds… extra Vek! Like, a lot of them! Take a look:

Note: Vextra requires the relatively stable pre-release modloader 2.8.2 (or .1 or .0 but just use .2) to run and will not work on older versions below 2.8.0, as with many of the newer mods to release. If you do not wish to use the pre-release modloader, then you may wait for it to release, or use an older version of Vextra.

Get the Newest Version: https://github.com/Tatuzudo/Vextra/releases/tag/vBETA.0.2.0
Get the 2.8.2 Modloader: https://github.com/itb-community/ITB-ModLoader/releases/tag/v2.8.2

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
I decided to start with a new profile when Advanced Edition came out, so I've slowly been re-unlocking everything in between playing other games over the past months. After playing a bit with all 13 squads, I decided to try something a bit different:

That's the Gravity, Exchange and Control Mechs, all with their starting weapons (plus upgrades). Three Science-class mechs with no direct damage whatsoever, just a whole lot of positional manipulation and the Vek Hormones for extra enemy-to-enemy damage. Camila Vera's immunity to webs and smoke provided a little extra flexibility -- I had her in the Control Mech, but she'll be useful in any of the three. The best moment of the run was fully completing a high-threat R.S.T. map that required me to destroy two mountains and kill seven enemies (and protect a building) -- I just barely got enough kills there. I also unlocked one of the secret pilots on my way through Pinnacle!

Extremely satisfying way to get the achievement for completing three islands without swapping out pilots or equipment. I love this game so much.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Bumping to announce more big mods for those still playing. Over the last few months the modders have added three new islands!

Watchtower Security Watchtower's munitions failed to save them from the Vek. Now corporate remnants seek to regain control of the Island.
- 10 unique new missions
- A new terrain type unique to this island: Rocks, which prevent the next damage to that tile
- 5 new structures
- A new corporate pilot

Grab it here.

Far Line Charters Far Line Charters sends its cargo fleet to ply the dangerous oceans and supply humanity's remnants.
- 10 unique new missions
- A new terrain type unique to this island: Whirlpools, which cause the next damage to that tile to be lethal
- 4 new structures
- A new corporate pilot

Grab it here.

Nautilus Heavy Industry Extending far below the surface of the earth, N.H.I. plumbs the depths seeking rare minerals. Watch for falling rocks.
- 12 unique new missions
- 6 new structures
- A new corporate pilot
- This one made by me!

Grab it here.

Along with Into the Wild, that means you can actually play the game entirely using modded content if you want.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 13, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Entirely rad, a lot of love in this work!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Neat!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what are you supposed to...do, in this scenario

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

what are you supposed to...do, in this scenario

That boat can build platforms for you to stand on; additionally any damage to a target standing on a whirlpool is fatal. There's lots of weird stuff like that!

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

going for perfect 30k runs with every squad and my god the train missions are horseshit

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

They knew what they were doing with the armored train missions in the expansion update. So cathartic to watch those things slam through Vek without a care.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Pork Chops Aplenty posted:

going for perfect 30k runs with every squad and my god the train missions are horseshit

Remember to bring the lightning whip to every protect mission :science:

:eng99:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

but there's 40k now :rms:

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

crabrock posted:

but there's 40k now :rms:

i'm getting frustrated enough trying to do 30ks with no pilot deaths, grid damage, or missed objectives/pods.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i'm getting frustrated enough trying to do 30ks with no pilot deaths, grid damage, or missed objectives/pods.

i know the pain

gently caress them pilots tho i don't care about them.

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

crabrock posted:

i know the pain

gently caress them pilots tho i don't care about them.

Nice!

but it looks like you're still missing perfect runs with Rift Walkers and Zenith Guard

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

nah, i never made pilots a condition because they're easily replaceable and you can literally sell them for money.

crabrock fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 23, 2023

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

is it just me, or is Gana severely underrated, especially for hard/unfair? I'm coming around to the idea that he's one of the better pilots after using him for a bit.

I rolled a Skilled/+1 Reactor Gana recently and I've been crushing. Being able to drop a 5 HP tank in the middle of a cluster of enemies to draw attention on turn 1 is so useful. He also trivializes missions that are otherwise complete bullshit like the Boom Bots.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

All the robots are good if you get them with a +1 charge. It's Henry and Camila who are the forgotten champions.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Camila + Jet Mech OTP

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Camila is easily my MVP, followed by Abe. Henry is also very good, but maybe less flashy about it than Camila/Abe. Outside of Ralph Karlsson being kind of an obvious stinker, Chen Rong is probably the pilot that most commonly feels like she's not pulling her weight imo.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Abe is the dude that starts with armor and can use powerful recoil attacks with impunity, right?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That's the guy. I mostly play with "chaos squad" these days, so the mechs could be anything, and Abe is more often useful there, but he's still basically a poor man's Mafan.

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

1 building away, ugghhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

got this on like try #15. i also had an easy time getting the perfect 30k with them. guess i just like these guys.

is it just me, or is Gana severely underrated, especially for hard/unfair? I'm coming around to the idea that he's one of the better pilots after using him for a bit.

I rolled a Skilled/+1 Reactor Gana recently and I've been crushing. Being able to drop a 5 HP tank in the middle of a cluster of enemies to draw attention on turn 1 is so useful. He also trivializes missions that are otherwise complete bullshit like the Boom Bots.

yeah it's a really good pilot. i got lucky on my last run and he dropped

Only registered members can see post attachments!