Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I hope the new squads are all unlocked from the start, I don't enjoy the mechanic of needing to get a certain amount of Achievements to unlock squads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I ought to stop thinking I should play Normal when trying a new squad for the first time because it's ended up being too easy so far with Bombermechs and Mist Eaters... but thinking I might have a harder time with the gimmickier sounding new squads like arachnophiles and cataclysm so don't really want to change it. New squads have been awesome so far though
How big is the gap between Hard and Unfair?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Clarste posted:

Bombermech is gimmickier than Arachnophile, imo. They have a similar spawning mechanic, but the bomblings really almost entirely on swapping shenanigans while the spiders are more straightforward to use (just get a kill and earn a free pusher). Like, swapping shenanigans are so powerful that the team is probably better, but it's also by far the gimmickier of the two.

Some other stuff like the science mech and that ricochet gun seem a little weird but will see when I get there.

Just started Cataclysm and it's a blast so far, love dunking Vek into bottomless pits

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

RoboCicero posted:

Like many, Kai is so useful because they never get damaged if you wipe everyone out first. Most weapons's + damage skills are 2 or 3 cores, so having what's effectively 6-9 extra cores at the start of the battle smooths things out significantly.

I had them go "A time pod. You go get it." when a pod landed, then "I can't believe you made me get this." when I had them pick it up :haw:

Obvious choice but I think she is hands down the best pilot in the game now with Morgan Lejeune 2nd. Especially on Cataclysm and Arachnophiles where you want to be activating the special on-kill effects as much as possible and a near-permanently boosted mech will give you a much wider range of options to use them.
Yeah I think it's very easy to avoid mech damage anyway
Though there's still some mechs where a different pilot is a better choice to negate self-damage effects or whatever

Just finished my first Unfair run with Cataclysm / 4 islands and wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, though more than normal/hard there were a couple really tense turns where I had to spend a long time thinking things over or have to decide between failing an objective or taking grid damage etc.
It was a surprise to get an extra boss type enemy on every level on the 4th island and the last level, though didn't massively complicate things since the bosses in this game are mostly not really so bad. I assume goo and psion abomination aren't part of the list that can appear randomly on every level, I think if it turned out those were appearing on every level it would be better just to skip the 4th island.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
In other news like that it's funny when one of the seemingly useless abilities ends up saving your hide in an unexpected way.

I had a turn on the last unfair run where it seemed impossible and I was staring at it for a long time, the problem was one of the mechs was webbed and the other one didn't have enough movement to get where he needed to go. 3rd was OK but couldn't do enough on their own. I want to say it was like 2 vek were attacking the corporate tower and it seemed impossible to stop both of them.

Then looking at the pilots info I saw that the guy with not enough movement got the "masochist" trait that gives him more movement when not at full HP, so I had the webbed mech deliberately shoot him with a rocket and then suddenly he was able to run over and attack the enemy he couldn't reach before :rolleyes:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Yeah the only thing in this game I do sometimes hate is the limited nature of the undo, it just feels like really arbitrary difficulty. If they are going to give you the ability to undo at all, it seems like you should just be able to freely make use of it until you choose to end the turn. Otherwise it is far too easy to put yourself into a corner by mistakes like mis-clicking, misunderstanding a UI cue (like showing how enemies will be pushed by an attack), not understanding yet how the abilities of a new squad work etc. and in those cases being stuck because of "sorry you already used the 1 undo" just feels like dumb bullshit
Outstanding game other than that and the occasional need to grind Achievements for unlocks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Senethro posted:

I've now won a bunch of Unfairs with new and original teams, but I keep chickening out of going for an Unfair 4 island victory. Somehow the 4th Island always has a grabber, flyer, tumblebug and the Psion that perfectly counters my team.

But I just got Silica with reactor as my Time Traveler. Maybe this time?

It's a fun challenge, there is a fun surprise on the 4th island on Unfair and you should try it at least once.