Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Can you stop/save a run to return to it later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

In Training posted:

Can you stop/save a run to return to it later?

yup, you can save and quit out of any screen

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
lmao only now noticed theres an undo turn button you can use once per battle

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

lmao only now noticed theres an undo turn button you can use once per battle

just in case u missed em, the game also displays the enemy turn order, also you can see enemy movement distance by clicking on em (especially good for choosing where to place your units when you start a mission)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not even worrying about long-term victory right now, since inevitably I get worn down. Right now it's all about doing cool things. I set up two Vek to deal enough damage to each other to kill them both from full health, since one of them exploded.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ending spoilers. It's cool that you can tackle the final battle even if you've only finished two islands, I played a poo poo ton of FTL and I bounced off the end game pretty much immediately and that's not going to happen to most players this way. The battle is really really good and while I was able to beat it the first time I tried it it's not cause it wasn't hard, I was taking like five minutes to a turn lol. I'm pumped for trying it with more islands finished, and I hope they change up the battle or the ending in some way if you do that.

It does feel weird getting ending credits so soon, so if you're the kind of person who can't play a game after seeing the ending don't do it, but I'm glad I played it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Plebian Parasite posted:

do the fire mechs suck poo poo or am i just not playing them right?

they have really bad damage output so you have to rely on positioning tricks a lot. make the enemies shoot each other, bump them into each other (or your own dudes), etc.

the swapping mech is really strong, you can insta-kill stuff by swapping them into water, swapping them onto spawn points is nice as well. get the +1 range right away.. +2 range is more expensive but you should get that at some point as well

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Man as smart as this game can make you feel, when you miss something really obvious it just burns so much.

Final fight, real good condition, came up with a great plan for turn one and...just...completely ignored a mob doing 3 dmg thinking it would only do 1. Wrecked my pumped up Prime (who had intentionally tanked one hit while sitting on a spawn) in a single turn and it's gg.

Real solid run otherwise, had a perfect first island for the first time so that felt good.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This game rules.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
The squad where you have the electric whip is really fuckin cool. My small brain is having a hard time figuring out how to properly chain lightning though.. also how do you guys typically place your mechs at the start of combat. Because I always end up having problems because I put a guy in the wrong place for one reason or another. Game ftw

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i think there's only 2 good deployment rules 1 good rule, 1 maybe rule

- put artillery where they can access the longest possible width of the map
- maybe try to place others in move range of initial bugs so they soak the hits, not the cities

but ymmv, depending on squad you might prefer bugs attacking cities (so you can bump them off with upgraded no-city-damage artillery, say) so you'd want to deploy out of bug range

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 3, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

or you might try to deploy such that the bugs are goaded into a dam trap or terraformer :getin:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

placing toward the center of the map is probably good too since movement is so limited but depends on where bugs are actually gonna spawn so shrug

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rediscover posted:

The squad where you have the electric whip is really fuckin cool. My small brain is having a hard time figuring out how to properly chain lightning though.. also how do you guys typically place your mechs at the start of combat. Because I always end up having problems because I put a guy in the wrong place for one reason or another. Game ftw
It passes through all objects, including boulders and poo poo. It's the only squad I've unlocked so far. I don't like the grapple tank much, but of course you can always build a custom squad.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

rediscover posted:

also how do you guys typically place your mechs at the start of combat. Because I always end up having problems because I put a guy in the wrong place for one reason or another. Game ftw

If it doesn't ruin my units positioning by putting them in the middle of nowhere, I try to put everyone in a line on a column that doesn't have a building behind the line. In the best case scenario it'll make a velk waste a ranged shot when you just move away on your following turn. Situationally useful, but if there's a spider on the map they're pretty heavily biased to snaring your units so you can bait out a defensive spider cocoon by placing your units in an L shape.

Probably the most useful thing is to just get that pilot that shrugs off webbing and smoke. I'm not sure if it's a bug or what, but the AI has absolutely no problem with wasting their actions trying to snare her repeatedly. Just put whatever mech she's in at the very front and ignore everything that targets her.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
it passes through boulders??? poo poo

i feel like the grapple mech is dead weight til you can put a real weapon on it, but once you do the armor bonus is nice

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
making a custom squad with the first prime robot that pucnhes stuff, the smoke missile launcher mech, and the charge mech with treads just absolutely wrecks everything

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

rediscover posted:

I put the whip guy on one side and the hook guy on the other side and the artillery in the back. Good luck.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Starting to get the hang of the electric whip mech & friends squad and pwning rear end right now. The feel when you figure out a turn after staring at the screen for 10 minutes and pulling off a flawless victory is just... Mwuah. So good

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
this game is so incredibly sick. won the final battle by the absolute skin of my teeth, and lost my original/best pilot on the final turn... his sacrifice will be remembered

there's just so much depth in the mechanics. the science mechs feel much trickier to use than the others, but every time i manage a water kill or spawn block or monster fratricide with them, it feels so good...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I was one turn off from a two-island victory. I only made it to the second phase of the last fight because one of my buildings resisted what would have been the attack that killed me. Sadly, I only had one power going into the very last fight, and while I managed to hold them off most of the fight without getting hit, eventually they overwhelmed me. I just couldn't prevent all the final attacks. So close though!

God drat I love this game.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

I was one turn off from a two-island victory. I only made it to the second phase of the last fight because one of my buildings resisted what would have been the attack that killed me. Sadly, I only had one power going into the very last fight, and while I managed to hold them off most of the fight without getting hit, eventually they overwhelmed me. I just couldn't prevent all the final attacks. So close though!

God drat I love this game.

I love it too. I’m out On the town right now and I still just keep thinking about it and how I’m gonna play it when I get home. The hooks are in deep

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I got a 4 island victory with the lightning whip team. I had one guy die because he got hit by a falling rock that I didn't see.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The lightning upgrade that makes it pass through buildings is fully sick.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Picked up a 2 island victory with rusted hulks, probably coulda done more, but i didn't.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the rusting hulks loving own. just got my first 4 island victory with them. unlocked all but 1 of the default squads and theyre definitely the easiest/most intuitive

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The Rusting Hulks are the only ones I haven't got my head around. I love Blitzkrieg and the Steel Judokas are fun too. Rift Walkers are also very solid.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Pewdiepie posted:

This game rules.

Yah

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I just had the craziest normal game. I encountered enemies I'd never seen before, a boss Psion - which boosted all the Vek's health, regeneration, and made them explode - and lost three pilots in one fight. I had to check and make sure I hadn't changed the difficulty.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the boss psions are obnoxious cause usually they give the grunts explode so the first turn or two its really hard killing them safely

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Aston posted:

The Rusting Hulks are the only ones I haven't got my head around. I love Blitzkrieg and the Steel Judokas are fun too. Rift Walkers are also very solid.

You gotta be a little selective with the map selection beforehand since the jet is totally useless if things don't line up just so. You also need to lean really heavily on your science unit, especially when you get 'shield self', it turns into one of the best defensive units in the game.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Secured my first win earlier. 2-island victory with Zenith aka metal gear rex & friends. perfected both islands and didnt take a single hit to the power grid + i got like 6 coins/achievements lol. feels good but also it was on easy so i dont want to count it as a real life victory. I put it on easy just to peep what the differneces were and it was so much easier i just steamrolled the whole game in under an hour. my conclusion is if you only play on easy your a little bitch

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I got my first victory on Hard. It's really not too bad as long as you keep the Vek numbers under control by blocking spawns as often as possible.

My favourite ability is Vek deal extra damage to each other (the default passive on Steel Judoka 3). With it upgraded once all vek at the same level kill each other in one hit, it's a really good way to kill the alphas with 5 hp quickly.

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
Advance Wars on Gameboy Advanced

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

HELLBITCH posted:

Advance Wars on Gameboy Advanced

can stop being gay in every thread you post in, please.

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting

rediscover posted:

can stop being gay in every thread you post in, please.

you first lol

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Aston posted:

I got my first victory on Hard. It's really not too bad as long as you keep the Vek numbers under control by blocking spawns as often as possible.

My favourite ability is Vek deal extra damage to each other (the default passive on Steel Judoka 3). With it upgraded once all vek at the same level kill each other in one hit, it's a really good way to kill the alphas with 5 hp quickly.

yeah I beat my first game that I tried on hard. booted up thinking it was gonna be insane so I used a custom squad but honestly it felt like the exact amount of challenge the game is supposed to have. slightly more spawns and more strong enemies but it didnt feel that much worse than a normal run using one of the gimpier squads

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

HELLBITCH posted:

you first lol

Lol

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Just had my first Flame Behemoth normal win. Love how I had to change my entire playstyle from the standard squad. This game rules and is ridiculous value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I just had the craziest normal game. I encountered enemies I'd never seen before, a boss Psion - which boosted all the Vek's health, regeneration, and made them explode - and lost three pilots in one fight. I had to check and make sure I hadn't changed the difficulty.

they should have gone all the way with that one and had it do shell and psychic attack psion stuff too because it's definitely the easiest boss, it has 5 health and does no damage

I have seen a robot boss listed in pinnacle before but all of those runs have died before I got there so I don't know anything about it

• Locked thread