Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the worst teleconf platform
bluejeans
skype 4 biz / lync
webex
zoom
gotomeeting
join.me
some other bullshit
View Results

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

anyway does anyone use ms teams? the fucker in work whos in charge of this poo poo wants to move us to sfb because it comes with the office 365 licence so id like to at least be able to argue theres a better option by the same vendor

teams is probably better than skype, in that single-sign on doesn't work at my place and it freezes and crashes before ever launching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

at my old job i was only working with people in other offices but i had to be at my office for some reason so i would just dial into meetings in the morning in my car and tell them that all the noise was skype's fault. it worked for about a year before they figured out i was actually attending our hour long stand up meetings while driving

one dude at work is into vintage scooters and he has popped into our team meetings with a handlebar-mounted iphone and a helmet headset. It sounds pretty fine actually, quite amazing.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Partycat posted:

at least the latest client fixes where if you pressed ] on your keyboard your computer dings . still working out how (y) is a woman but (x) is a stop sign.

my org has a bunch of different versions in use and there are two different sets of emotes with a small amount of overlap.

you can also crash the newer version clients by spamming emotes from an older version.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Jonny 290 posted:

one dude at work is into vintage scooters and he has popped into our team meetings with a handlebar-mounted iphone and a helmet headset. It sounds pretty fine actually, quite amazing.

#blessed

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

the worst thing about outlook 365 and teams is GIPHY integration

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Mad Wack posted:

Our work told us to keep it professional and I guess that means no cat gifs in teams.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I used to work at a company that enterprise accounts for: Slack, Googleapps, Bluejeans, Zoom, meet.me and gotomeeting or whatever that poo poo was called.

somehow people still managed to send out unsecured, open to everyone with the URL, weekly global team calls.

They also set a 4 day global retention/deletion policy on Slack so it was completely useless for anything.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

that's actually the best thing

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Shaggar posted:

sad but true

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

does it omit the integration because one thing I do not like is a service that jams an unrelated distracting animation into chat and scrolls content off the screen

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Skype for Business status: I was in a call, and I finally found the option to turn off the "auto-mark me busy if I plug a monitor" in the menu, but not before accidentally hitting the 'Meet now' button right next to 'Tools'. Hitting 'Meet now' puts the call you are currently in on hold without prompt (but plays waiting music to everybody else on the other call), and then starts a conference call with only you in it while showing an error message that you're alone in there.

Brilliant features.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
:perfect:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive noticed that the more bullshit sounds a conf system plays, the worse it is

zoom: decent, does little dings for join/part
slack: ok, beeps and boops
skype for biz/all those horrible 'webmeeting' apps -

<five second chime including reverb tail>
BRITISH LADY: welcome to the conference. you are now in listen only mode. Please wait for a moderator to unmute
<echoed five second chime from everybody on an HP Elitebook that has no functional noise cancellation>
<interminable series of tunes, riffs and chimes every time any one of the 378 people in the meeting change a setting on their computer>

Ah, business

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jonny 290 posted:

BRITISH LADY: welcome to the conference. you are now in listen only mode. Please wait for a moderator to unmute
<echoed five second chime from everybody on an HP Elitebook that has no functional noise cancellation>
<interminable series of tunes, riffs and chimes every time any one of the 378 people in the meeting change a setting on their computer>

Ah, business

webex doesn't say anything when i join with my computer, it's nice.

i do, however, have the at&t conference speech pretty much memorized

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i refuse to do any calls without video

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

Ah, business

being in any teleconference with three hundred people sounds like teleconference hell

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
work is pretty good about it, they put that poo poo on lockdown presentation mode for any big call or videoconf

its a small blessing

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

MononcQc posted:

"auto-mark me busy if I plug a monitor"

:confused:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

presentation

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
At my job our work trucks have these big Motorola cell phones that kind of look like walkie talkies with a big red emergency button on top. Anyway if you wanted to directly talk to someone you had to put their 4 digit pin in. If you didn't put it in but pressed the chirp button, it would broadcast to every field employee and supervisor at the same time. One day I'm just sitting in my truck and I hear "SO I TOLD HIM IF HE'S GOING TO gently caress ME THAT HE SHOULD AT LEAST BUY ME DINNER FIRST!".

A sympathetic union brother got on and announced "YOU'RE ON THE AIR, STUPID" to let him know to not further embarrass himself.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jonny 290 posted:

Ah, business

carry on then posted:

webex doesn't say anything when i join with my computer, it's nice.

i do, however, have the at&t conference speech pretty much memorized

When you "dial my video conf system" with webex you get "do do do do Welcome to WebEx. Please Press 1 to join the meeting".
In case it's a prank call???

Anyway I hope you know how to send a 1 on your video conference system because it's NOT the normal DTMF 1

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

our teleconference system uses different voices by region, apparently, because our india office has a british lady while we have an american voice. sometimes its a mans voice. i honestly dont know how many voices the system has and ive been here for 7 years :shepface:

on the chime thing we have a slack clone that lets you send a notification chime to a room, which one coworker does randomly in the mornings. for meetings, I set my system to do not disturb (macos) which squelches everything… except this app which chimes very loudly through the room speakers, then chimes again for every reply in the chat room

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

walked past the conference room twice today and both times the people in there were standing around the table yelling into someone's phone instead of using the tens of thousands of dollars of teleconferencing equipment because as it turns out the speaker button on the iphone works like 100% of the time.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

with judicious mutes and either a good car speakerphone or headset this is still possible and convincing. its only when they ask if you can see the screenshare that it gets dicey

still, a year is impressive and probably a better use of your time for an hour long morning meeting

yeah we always had rally up on the screen share and my manager was obsessive about rearranging things during calls so it was hard to guess what they were looking at sometimes. it helped that we had a couple QA people dialing in from chennai and their office always had dogs barking and car crashes going off in the background for some reason

i'm pretty sure my manager started paying more attention after someone flushed a toilet during standup one day and forgot to mute

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Anyway I hope you know how to send a 1 on your video conference system because it's NOT the normal DTMF 1

it is just not if you’re trying to make that sound with a captain crunch whistle or something, it is signaled out if band . there is often also a checkbox so you don’t press 1 when you setup the call.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Nothing in the WebEx portal that I can see.
The app itself has almost no options either.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
whenever I get a join.me invitation I know it's going to be a shitshow because nobody seems to pay for them.

the mute all button is only available for pro and business accounts.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Media Bloodbath posted:

whenever I get a join.me invitation I know it's going to be a shitshow because nobody seems to pay for them.

the mute all button is only available for pro and business accounts.

you don’t need to pay, you just send them a headshot

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

okay yeah someone was definitely snoring on this call i'm on

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i thought bluejeans only existed where people were desperate to keep bridging some poo poo old room system into the call rather than figuring out that a few months of bluejeans subs would cover ripping out some old polycom gear and replacing it. i cant imagine using bluejeans out of choice.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

replace it with what ? pc based systems are prone to gently caress up when the virus scan starts in the middle of your call .

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

replace it with the sweet embrace of death

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Thanks Ants posted:

i thought bluejeans only existed where people were desperate to keep bridging some poo poo old room system into the call rather than figuring out that a few months of bluejeans subs would cover ripping out some old polycom gear and replacing it. i cant imagine using bluejeans out of choice.

conference room A/V systems are often $100k+ per room dude

people will go a long way to avoid replacing them

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

kitted out conference rooms are great if you have a bunch of offices and you build all the rooms out the same, but trying to interop with other companies never works and probably never will. im a believer in the idea of just having little meeting pods that people can take their laptops to and use hangouts or zoom or whatever. definitely not for every company though, some people really like to treat meetings like a big occasion.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

we have five different sets of a/v set up scattershot in our building and dedicated a/v team to help set up every meeting

even then people whine relentlessly when someone forgets to go on mute while they throw their toddler in the dishwasher

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

we have super expensive creston systems in every room, with VC in half the rooms

the screen on the outside with whether the room is booked or not never works
the rooms with TVs look like poo poo, maybe because of the virtual whiteboard matrix
the CJs have to change the video cables every year because lenobo keeps changing what they provide. currently the cables are VGA or HDMI with a MDP and USB-C dongle zip-tied to it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

luv2find creston tp hdmi cables damaged because clunky laptop dumbos dont understand good things

the tablet controls are okay, but the rooms have a thin client for shares and they constantly cycle and show 'room pc connected/disconnected' over the screen and sometimes used to steal focus from your system if someone bumped the mouse

some of the bigger rooms have two cameras which predatorily zoom and focus on sounds like some chameleon robot boss glowering at anyone that speaks but when video switches theyll just zoom in and out ineptly trying to focus on one speaker before giving up and going back to room view

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

meanwhile, the cisco jabber app for desktop is actually okay and i can do screenshares and video and all that poo poo and use my nice bt headset from my desktop

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my employer has multiple Microsoft surfaces in every meeting room and uses skype for business for all of them, but 99% of the use case is people emailing themselves whiteboard drawings.

all meetings almost are face to face. when I interviewed there, they tried to call me on regular skype from a surface’s skype for business and we’re amazed it wouldn’t work since they had such a great setup.

half my conference calls to this well-equipped company turn out to be done on a cellphone. at least I got decent headphones that work for all cases, but yeah. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
was just on a call with a cat meowing

• Locked thread