Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the worst teleconf platform
bluejeans
skype 4 biz / lync
webex
zoom
gotomeeting
join.me
some other bullshit
View Results

• Locked thread
DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Jonny 290 posted:

one dude at work is into vintage scooters and he has popped into our team meetings with a handlebar-mounted iphone and a helmet headset. It sounds pretty fine actually, quite amazing.

getting creamed while trying to share a powerpoint with the team in mumbai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DJ Commie posted:

getting creamed while trying to share a powerpoint with the team in mumbai

worse future: not getting creamed and having to do it every day after that

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

who actually uses the lovely multiplayer whiteboards and for what purpose

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Partycat posted:

who actually uses the lovely multiplayer whiteboards and for what purpose

The electronic ones with the digitizer pens?Judging by the warning signs posted on all of ours, I think the only time they get used is when people try to draw on them with real dry-erase markers.

Oh I'm in the teleconference thread you are probably talking about a Skype thing.

lwoodio fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 23, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I used a hardcopy whiteboard on a consulting gig once, when we filled it up someone pushed a button and the surface moved like a conveyor belt while the thermal printer below spit out a printout of its contents

it was a pretty miserable experience and of course nobody ever actually looked at the printout again

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

I used a hardcopy whiteboard on a consulting gig once, when we filled it up someone pushed a button and the surface moved like a conveyor belt while the thermal printer below spit out a printout of its contents

it was a pretty miserable experience and of course nobody ever actually looked at the printout again
oh man these things are everywhere in the public service here. the printing is so garbage, even funnier are the newer models which are just plugged in to a normal printer. surely those were designed and sold after smartphones were a thing, who prints a copy instead of just snapping a photo...

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

buhbuhbuht my opsec!!!

we have a special app that will email it to your work email for pics. the app is coded in-house. the app drops all exit data so photos turn up sideways and olds get real upset about it apparently

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Agile Vector posted:

meanwhile, the cisco jabber app for desktop is actually okay and i can do screenshares and video and all that poo poo and use my nice bt headset from my desktop

It takes jabber like 10 second s to open an existing chat.

I also broke group chat for the entire company once by pasting a large lounge file in

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

It takes jabber like 10 second s to open an existing chat

your computer is lovely or something then

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

r u ready to WALK posted:

embed http://conferencecall.biz in the background of this thread

I legit find this an acceptable alternative to my normal white-noise app for sleeping.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

our new chat client uses a web renderer and eats 400mb of memory doing nothing, plus is slow as gently caress when you actually try to do anything

advice to improve it is "open it in chome instead" :suicide:

e: but it's apparently going to revolutionise things because we can build BOTS BOTS BOTS!!!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Which one is it
I am finally gaining traction on replacing skype for business at least for chat, we need something that can run on-premise but there's way too many options

I guess the main candidates right now are Zulip, Mattermost or Matrix, where Matrix seems like it would appeal the most to nerds and the least to management

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

I legit find this an acceptable alternative to my normal white-noise app for sleeping.

this is the most hosed up thing in the entire thread

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

our new chat client uses a web renderer and eats 400mb of memory doing nothing, plus is slow as gently caress when you actually try to do anything

e: but it's apparently going to revolutionise things because we can build BOTS BOTS BOTS!!!

what the gently caress is wrong with people

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

don’t use any that tries to pretend a web page is an application

it’ll be poo poo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol name and shame

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Captain Foo posted:

this is the most hosed up thing in the entire thread

You clearly spend an insufficient amount of time on bridges?

:shrug:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Schadenboner posted:

You clearly spend an insufficient amount of time on bridges?

:shrug:

suicide requests are banned in yospos

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

carry on then posted:

suicide requests are banned in yospos

And yet the Windows 10 thread continues apace.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

carry on then posted:

lol name and shame

It's this: https://symphony.com/

Like, it's supposed to work for external contacts as well but of course security don't allow that, so the only thing it gives us is chat rooms (which we had before but nobody used) and hash tags. I think it uses end to end encryption as well which is cool I guess?

their sales people were like "it complete replaces the need for email! Your team can just send you hash tags!" and I rolled my eyes so loving hard

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

anyone saying that chat is a replacement for email has never used their inbox as a quick and dirty way of getting an idea of tasks that need actioning.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what else is it for

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

carry on then posted:

lol name and shame

literally everything built on electron

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
hipchat also seems designed to be used primarily through a browser. since thats stupid as gently caress, I downloaded the desktop client. when you ctrl+f to find something in a chat, the search results open in a browser tab :waycool:

also its only used because the ability to create chat rooms was disabled in skype for business

pain

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MononcQc posted:

Skype for Business status: I was in a call, and I finally found the option to turn off the "auto-mark me busy if I plug a monitor" in the menu, but not before accidentally hitting the 'Meet now' button right next to 'Tools'. Hitting 'Meet now' puts the call you are currently in on hold without prompt (but plays waiting music to everybody else on the other call), and then starts a conference call with only you in it while showing an error message that you're alone in there.

Brilliant features.

Trip report: the option actually does nothing.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

cursed

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

hipchat also seems designed to be used primarily through a browser. since thats stupid as gently caress, I downloaded the desktop client. when you ctrl+f to find something in a chat, the search results open in a browser tab :waycool:

that’s because HipChat like Slack is not an application, it’s a web page, and just putting a wrapper around it to show the web page in its own process doesn’t make it any more of an application

web pages pretending to be applications are inherently broken

delenda est JavaScript

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

eschaton posted:

delenda est JavaScript

this exact thing is written in big letters on one of the bathroom walls where i work

coincidentally bathroom wall graffiti is probably a superior alternative to everything mentioned in this thread for communication

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FOR A GOOD LINE CALL
9-1-888-YOU-RMOM
FOLLOWED BY THE POUND SIGN

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Agile Vector posted:

FOR A GOOD LINE CALL
9-1-888-YOU-RMOM
FOLLOWED BY THE POUND SIGN

will there be a webex?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
we have both gotomeeting and webex at work, and they work fine, except our webex has computer audio disabled at the organization level so i can share my screen and files from my desk while bathed in the sultry sound of distant, muffled audio, because i work for sadists, apparently

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

better to have a thousand muffled batphones than a single laptop mic

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Pioneer makes a Surprisingly-Decent speakerphone you plug into your iPhones lightning port, and it has a pass-through for power. If I’m in a small conference room with ~4 people, I just use it for dialing into a call instead of fussing with the avaya system.

e: they also make wired lightning headphones that have solid auto-muting for your mic, and it works on the system level so you get to see the Mute button blinking on and off in phone.ipa. I’ve slurped noodles during a call and nobody could tell.

Jimmy Carter fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 27, 2018

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

just received a Skype for business call. I pressed the little phone button to accept it, and the pop up went away. The call window never started and I just kept hearing the ringing song with no way to do anything about it.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I used to work at a company that had this one scrum master who would dial into every meeting with his laptop mic permanently un-muted so that every time we talked we'd get this obnoxious feedback from his computer. We would tell him, every single meeting, please keep your mic muted and he'd reply yeah yeah and sometimes do it (and sometimes it'd take a few tries on the same call).

It got to the point where he was a net negative on the project for solely this reason, going beyond the scrum master's usual impact of "an unnecessary but harmless participant"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

ADINSX posted:

I used to work at a company that had this one scrum master who would dial into every meeting with his laptop mic permanently un-muted so that every time we talked we'd get this obnoxious feedback from his computer. We would tell him, every single meeting, please keep your mic muted and he'd reply yeah yeah and sometimes do it (and sometimes it'd take a few tries on the same call).

It got to the point where he was a net negative on the project for solely this reason, going beyond the scrum master's usual impact of "an unnecessary but harmless participant"

mods please add a soundtrack of heavy breathing to this thread

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

eschaton posted:

that’s because HipChat like Slack is not an application, it’s a web page, and just putting a wrapper around it to show the web page in its own process doesn’t make it any more of an application

searching for something in the slack desktop client does not open a browser tab though

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

searching for something in the slack desktop client does not open a browser tab though

so it opens it in the same embedded browser

not an improvement

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mods please add a soundtrack of heavy breathing to this thread

this and also a distorted feedback warble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

ADINSX posted:

i play mute whack a mole all the time on big calls, luckily skype 4 biz lets me do it - even better when the person doesn't realize they've been muted and just keeps talking to mute

talking to mute

• Locked thread