Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the worst teleconf platform
bluejeans
skype 4 biz / lync
webex
zoom
gotomeeting
join.me
some other bullshit
View Results

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sorry i missed the invite can someone tell me the discussion so far? uh huh. so is there a screen share too? can you add me? wait no it didnt share add me again thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

*beep beep*

*beep*

i got disconnected can you add me again?

Caganer posted:

i'm the galaxy brain who literally dialed in with his phone while the other scrubs at the w3c curse at their webex client

literally me, but replace webex with 20 year old cisco phones and wired headsets while i multilimb diety brain my bt headset and walk to get coffee

luckily nobody wants, nor can, do video calls at their desks. not that people used them when we could. mine effectively viewed my monitor back because i never moved the new phone when they swapped them

flakeloaf posted:

pisssss

flushhhhhhh

been a while since we got one of those but i was on for a 'nah im not listening to this pointless call what do you need?' mumble and mute a few weeks and and he wasnt wrong :shepface:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

figured out where they hid the meeting control panel and now i can literally drop people form the call with no warning or audio confirmation, making 'accidental' disconnects possible for annoying participants :getin:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mad Wack posted:

soooooo... a blockchain?

careful youll triple the userbase!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

at my old job i was only working with people in other offices but i had to be at my office for some reason so i would just dial into meetings in the morning in my car and tell them that all the noise was skype's fault. it worked for about a year before they figured out i was actually attending our hour long stand up meetings while driving

with judicious mutes and either a good car speakerphone or headset this is still possible and convincing. its only when they ask if you can see the screenshare that it gets dicey

still, a year is impressive and probably a better use of your time for an hour long morning meeting

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

our teleconference system uses different voices by region, apparently, because our india office has a british lady while we have an american voice. sometimes its a mans voice. i honestly dont know how many voices the system has and ive been here for 7 years :shepface:

on the chime thing we have a slack clone that lets you send a notification chime to a room, which one coworker does randomly in the mornings. for meetings, I set my system to do not disturb (macos) which squelches everything… except this app which chimes very loudly through the room speakers, then chimes again for every reply in the chat room

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

luv2find creston tp hdmi cables damaged because clunky laptop dumbos dont understand good things

the tablet controls are okay, but the rooms have a thin client for shares and they constantly cycle and show 'room pc connected/disconnected' over the screen and sometimes used to steal focus from your system if someone bumped the mouse

some of the bigger rooms have two cameras which predatorily zoom and focus on sounds like some chameleon robot boss glowering at anyone that speaks but when video switches theyll just zoom in and out ineptly trying to focus on one speaker before giving up and going back to room view

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

meanwhile, the cisco jabber app for desktop is actually okay and i can do screenshares and video and all that poo poo and use my nice bt headset from my desktop

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

buhbuhbuht my opsec!!!

we have a special app that will email it to your work email for pics. the app is coded in-house. the app drops all exit data so photos turn up sideways and olds get real upset about it apparently

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FOR A GOOD LINE CALL
9-1-888-YOU-RMOM
FOLLOWED BY THE POUND SIGN

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

mods please add a soundtrack of heavy breathing to this thread

yeah mods add the one gal on my thursday calls that has an earbud mic

Mad Wack posted:

i play mute whack a mole all the time on big calls, luckily skype 4 biz lets me do it - even better when the person doesn't realize they've been muted and just keeps talking to mute

talking to mute

its honestly more productive that way for most people

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

but they put it on the intranet! yes yes this email tells you what it was about but now you can see the c levels tell jokes! in silverlight because nobody can figure out mp4 and someone heard flash is bad now

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i finally gave up and bought noise cancelling headphones because everyone else talks like theyre in a windstorm in neighboring desks/conference rooms very far away from me and they helped immensely

they also double as a headset and i can play music on them while on a call so i can multitask ignore my calls at a whole new speed never imagined before

today i listened to an audiobook on a conference call and it made it the most informative call in my career

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Doom Mathematic posted:

Could you not have just skipped the call entirely? Was someone taking attendance?

theres about one minute of time im needed and the other participants are hellbent on being there the whole time in case something needs my feedback, which it never does

this is a weekly status meeting that could be done in 5 minutes of short reviews but the group somehow turns into a 40 minute discussion with topics that are better one to one calls

meanwhile they spam dumb emails all week that could instead be handled in this meeting. its the most tedious waterfall project group ive ever worked with

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

at least the other devs will just call me directly and we hammer that poo poo out in a few minutes, but you add a designer that doesn't listen, devs that are overworked, and a ba that's being forced to pm and it all goes to pot quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Schadenboner posted:

Please do not prepend your posts with a description of your sex life.

lol

Mad Wack posted:

i have been skipping a bullshit call for three months now and every week the minutes come out with “absences: Mad Wack” and it feels great

ahaha if only we had minutes, if i skip I get passive aggressive ims and a thank you for joining so the meeting can start :rolleyes:

it is easily the poorest run meeting I attend each week and it devolves into people sniping at each other about nonsense features so I won't lie that sometimes it can be entertaining and worth attending

• Locked thread