Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

ThornBrain posted:

Stardew Valley

Fortune favors getting your rear end kicked by flying snakes.

What an... odd looking... figurine?

Probably not what it's actually a reference to, but I couldn't resist

Icedude fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Uh, hot dang. I knew you could get Iridium ore from panning, but gems too?

All I ever got was iron and gold.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
You filthy lucker.

I'm not even mad about the Iridium and the Diamond. But finding a loving strange doll?

Next you'll tell me you found another one in the rest of the week.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

He'll find the mask next week I bet.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What an interesting little experience panning for metal is.

Can you upgrade the pan?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Glazius posted:

What an interesting little experience panning for metal is.

Can you upgrade the pan?
Nnnnnnnnnnnnope. You get a copper pan that gets you piddly stuff (unless you luck the gently caress out) and that's only if you're actively looking because otherwise why would you permanently occupy an inventory space that could hold something else.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
By that time you've almost certainly got the deluxe pack, but still, keeping it on your hotbar with all your other tools and possibly your sword is just silly.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
My Time at Portia

Decided to focus this look at Portia on the first major story segment of building a bridge to Amber Island and the dungeon therein, so we'll be wrapping this up later this week with part 5. In the meantime, some ruin diving and nifty discoveries.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Stardew Valley

I'll have what she's having.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That cutscene and some of the other new content really shows off how much ConcernedApe's coding chops have improved between patches.

e: Also, every time I've gotten a letter from Clint giving me a gold bar, it is the day after I've given him a gold bar. It's happened at least three times now.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 19, 2018

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

Eh, the duck feather isn't as big a deal to me. I typically have like three ducks at a time, so I was getting one eventually.

No, I think I know where I'm going to cry 'filthy lucker'. Especially if that fade-out text was leading up to what I think it was leading up to.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I too haven't had too much of an issue with duck feathers when having three ducks.

My issue with duck feathers is a bit weird though. I got them pretty consistently but for some reason I could only get 2 duck eggs out of 3 ducks. Which leads me to believe that one of my ducks was on Duck Feather duty the entire time before I got fed up with them and replaced them with blue chickens :v:

Also I tried out the demo for My Time at Portia and I regret not having the money to snag it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

with every update that comes out i'm reminded of how much i enjoy stardew valley's music. fall and winter's, especially.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
Hey! My Time at Portia! love the game I'm surprised you didn't buy roses from Alice for the harder to befriend people I basically left tens of thousands of gold at her shop.

EDIT: quick tip to anyone who wants to try the game, don't bother with relics for the first month just mine the ores.

FailAtMagic fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 19, 2018

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
My Time at Portia

Don't bring your nice clothes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you two are doing a pretty good job on selling me on this game, although i dunno if i'll get it as of yet. it seems pretty relaxed and upfront about what kind of game it is which is nice. the art is also just ignorable at absolute worst and enjoyable otherwise, which helps.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Johnny Joestar posted:

with every update that comes out i'm reminded of how much i enjoy stardew valley's music. fall and winter's, especially.
All of its music is super good, which adds another layer of impressiveness to this one-dev game.

It would have been easy to make some of the stuff like, say, the seasonal songs boring and forgettable, but they're not. And the fact that it's seasonal songs, plural, is something I never realized I wanted in an HM-alike until SV - you're going to be playing each season for a couple hours, why listen to the same song over and over?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I haven't kept up with Stardew Valley, have you guys already gone into the Deep Lore on Abigail?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
My Time at Portia

Final look at Portia, wherein we explore the Amber Island cave, set up the Dee-Dee Transport system, and finish up the first season.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do appreciate how your overachieving rival makes sure things get built out in a certain length of time.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Stardew Valley

Getting both the greenhouse and an absurdly rare item that I trade for an absurdly good sword.

Irish and I also try out the multiplayer beta with Mugiwara Yoshi and his partner Dakota.
(Apologies for weird audio issues; only Irish and I recorded game audio, and Dakota's noise gate was set so high that it cut out a lot of their voice.)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

You haven't got an Iridium Band yet, you need to collect two to hit peak filthy luckiness.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
First time playing, I got my Prismatic Shard from the quarry the very next day after unlocking it.
Being a wikia dwelling scumbag that I am, I kept it for the sword and wrecked through skull cave until some monster dropped another one on a lucky day.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I wonder if Abigail calling her snowman a "snow-goon" is a Calvin & Hobbes references

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I remember fishing up a useful rare thing in winter while trying to get the winter fish.

The Prismatic Shard followed soon after I started Skull Cavern. You can get a lot of geodes in there with mega bombs :getin:

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

Yeah, getting a shard from an omni geode is basically one of the few ways to get them, so nah, not gonna call you a filthy lucker this time.

The few other ways are from a mystic node, gem node, iridium node, one of the shadows, a mummy, fishing it up, or one of the flying serpents.

That being said though, it was a .4% chance. So long as you don't pull another one out of a geode, I'll keep my mouth shut.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Some 70 hours into My Time at Portia and I have to say that you're going to need a lot of Carbon Steel. No, like way more than that. Nope, even more. Just - just build three Industrial Furnaces, and have two of them make nothing but Carbon Steel, while the third makes Charcoal. Constantly.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

AltaBrown posted:

Some 70 hours into My Time at Portia and I have to say that you're going to need a lot of Carbon Steel. No, like way more than that. Nope, even more. Just - just build three Industrial Furnaces, and have two of them make nothing but Carbon Steel, while the third makes Charcoal. Constantly.

Getting a comprehensive cutter/grinder was like a gift from the gods.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

AltaBrown posted:

My set up was 2 industrial furnaces making carbon steel and my leftover 2 civil furnaces churning out charcoal.
With three more industrial furnaces filling in gaps as needed (freakin' bronze bars! :argh:)

Tenebrais posted:

Getting a comprehensive cutter/grinder was like a gift from the gods.

They are really great. If you can power them when you get them.

I couldn't :v: I was far off from orange-flavored power and electricity generation was the last thing Petra figured out for me before giving me research notes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

They are really great. If you can power them when you get them.

I couldn't :v: I was far off from orange-flavored power and electricity generation was the last thing Petra figured out for me before giving me research notes.

Interesting. As soon as I made my first, the weekend spot-checking prizes changed from power crystals to the yellow cubes. Maybe that was a coincidence though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

That's probably the case, I started getting those soon (I was just too busy/too stockpiley to actually use them.)

It still doesn't help when you build one on a monday :v:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Absurd clothes and out-of-bounds tricks. Everything a growing alien robot plant needs.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
So, did anyone else get that mental image of people walking behind Emily's curtain and into a blank white purgatory and just saying "I need clothes. Lots and lots of clothes." a la The Matrix?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Lazy Bear posted:

So, did anyone else get that mental image of people walking behind Emily's curtain and into a blank white purgatory and just saying "I need clothes. Lots and lots of clothes." a la The Matrix?

Absolutely. And I'd expect no less from the true master of the dark arts.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The iridium band has a 10% attack boost on top of the magnet and glow ring effects. Also I think the effects stack if you wear a second one, which arguably beats out the ring of Yoba.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The best character for a human sacrifice is Haley, fight me.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

She's definitely the worst bachelorette. That tiny amount of redemption with the cow comes really late. If not for being the only blacksmith, Clint would be a surer bet for a virgin sacrifice though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Haley and Alex both feel like CA was struggling to characterize them beyond "the archetypical Meathead Jock and Popular Girl Who Wouldn't Date You In High School". At least Alex gets a tragic backstory, I guess.

I'm not even sure why he put them in if he was that short on ideas - the other bachelors and bachelorettes don't always have the deepest stories, but at least it feels like he was trying with them.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I give Ape a pass on the writing, considering how good pretty much everything else is and he made it all himeself as far as I know which is pretty impressive in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
"Eat poop, and reproduce." -YamiNoSenshi.