Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Johnny Joestar posted:

a great change they made to the game was that you no longer have to replant crops. used to be that the plots would run for a few cycles and then peter out, needing another fruit/veggie to be shot into the receptor to start anew, but i guess the devs realized that having it run out really served no purpose other than annoyance.

Oh wow! That's a pretty big quality of life improvement. Good on them for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I feel like you should be able to use the kinetic blast to knock down all the cuberries from the tree.

Also slimes are natures trash compactor.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Nalesh posted:

I feel like you should be able to use the kinetic blast to knock down all the cuberries from the tree.

That would make life so much easier... Honestly, getting berries from the trees is such a pain. I like that nearly every fruit and veggie is a pun after you get past carrots though.

I tend to mix a lot of things with rock slimes because Heart Beets are easy to find, and farm. Odd onions suck but eh... Though if I really want to talk about one of the most annoying fruit to get, then I will have to wait for a specific slime to appear. Bloody thing is such a pain. By the way, is the only way to get hunter slimes that aren't largo to break up the Gordo? Because that seems a bit limited. I ended up just collecting a bunch of hunter plorts and feeding them to the honey slimes. Minty Mangoes are about the same level as cuberries to grow.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zebrin posted:

By the way, is the only way to get hunter slimes that aren't largo to break up the Gordo? Because that seems a bit limited.

You can find them stray in patches of tall grass but they're very aggressive about eating plorts so they largo up pretty quick (and it's hard to tell their largos from the more common tabbies at a distance). It's best to vac up a few plorts and spread cloaking technology to an easier-to-locate slime.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's only one slime that you can't find in a base form and the lp hasn't run into it yet

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nalesh posted:

I have to ask, what series is that picture from? Because any manga about slime ranching seems worth reading.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Omnicrom posted:

I have to ask, what series is that picture from? Because any manga about slime ranching seems worth reading.
It's not actually about slime ranching. My tablet with my manga reader app is currently out of power, so I can't remember the Japanese name the thing gives me offhand, but it's an isekai/cooking manga. It was only in the most recently translated chapter that the guy met and acquired a slime pet.

Fake Edit: Looking it up on a manga reader website, the name is "Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi". No, I don't know what it means translated.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The docks are very useful because it's four more ranch plots to stick pink largo's on because lord knows you need that many pink plorts for slime science :argh:

Zebrin posted:

I tend to mix a lot of things with rock slimes because Heart Beets are easy to find, and farm. Odd onions suck but eh...
I did the same. Gotta get those sweet sweet 4 plort per slime harvests!

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can find them stray in patches of tall grass but they're very aggressive about eating plorts so they largo up pretty quick (and it's hard to tell their largos from the more common tabbies at a distance). It's best to vac up a few plorts and spread cloaking technology to an easier-to-locate slime.

They're also pretty rare to spawn in my experience. Their gordo is pretty much the best source of non-largo'd hunter slimes in the game. I've seen only a handful otherwise.
This is balanced by the fact that pretty much every feral slime in the jungle is a hunter largo and there are a billion of them so it's really really easy to get their plorts.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

The docks are very useful because it's four more ranch plots to stick pink largo's on because lord knows you need that many pink plorts for slime science :argh:

Free ranging your pink slimes/largos solves that issue quite well. :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i enjoyed using the caves to freerange a bunch of phosphor/honey largos and had a couple cuberry trees growing to feed them. also i think i used the overgrowth to freerange some tabby/boom slimes? it's a lot more fun than keeping them in pens.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I tried freeranging in the overgrowth.

One water tank later, I had to get more slimes.

A penned slime is a safe slime :colbert:

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
You don't free range largos, or more then one type of slime in the same area. Pens are for largos, free range is for keeping like, 40 pink slimes in the overgrowth ranch. Put up a pair of carrot farms to grow stuff, and the eternally spawning fruit, carrots, and chickens will feed the rest. It is so low maintenance that you literally just walk through once in a while, slimevac up everything, and fire the pinkies at one of the gardens.
I just wish that I could put the barriers that keep slimes in one area up around the entrances.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Stardew Valley

8357 completes her form assimilation and TheStrawhatNO brand recognition, while I'm coming for Highwang's title of "filthy lucker".

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

So it's now a three way battle for the title between Thorn, Jadestar, and Highwang :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

unless there's some mod fuckery going on i think haley is the only one it's possible to dance with at the flower dance, because her birthday is the only one that happens before it and you can get a lot of relationship with her from giving her a loved item

which, yeah, leads to a lot of people disappointed in not being able to participate unless they know this

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

unless there's some mod fuckery going on i think haley is the only one it's possible to dance with at the flower dance, because her birthday is the only one that happens before it and you can get a lot of relationship with her from giving her a loved item

which, yeah, leads to a lot of people disappointed in not being able to participate unless they know this

Shane can as well, as he also has a birthday beforehand. He also likes sugar peas and of course he loves beer, good thing he is at the bar every night! I'm sure giving him a beer on his bday will get the needed hearts alone.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

This is just how I imagine BOb sounding

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Nalesh posted:

So it's now a three way battle for the title between Thorn, Jadestar, and Highwang :v:

I seem to recall people wanting to lynch Xaiter during his Binding of Issac lp for his luck.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Leal posted:

Shane can as well, as he also has a birthday beforehand. He also likes sugar peas and of course he loves beer, good thing he is at the bar every night! I'm sure giving him a beer on his bday will get the needed hearts alone.

ah, i'd never paid much attention to the new romance options. as long as it's a loved item for the person then it should give enough to make up the hearts needed. i guess that makes for 2 who can be danced with in the first year, then.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Sorry, just a random green haired girl. Feel free to pretend she is from whatever game you want though. :v:

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Can confirm, you are extremely lucky in finding three ancient seeds. I spent ages in the mines looking for two artifacts that I will not name to finish the museum. Now I'm just waiting for you to find them both in seconds upon getting to the right level.

Also, I think I know what you're gonna breed your honey slime with. Does it involve getting to Ogden's retreat with meat in hand? That's what I did. I also popped all the Largo slimes you can get to right now. Have way too many keys and only one door to open with them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Since you kinda mentioned it ThornBrain, you can use the Scythe instead of a weapon selected when farming / talking to villagers or whatever, so you don't waste energy/destroy anything like the sword but also don't have the block for a missed right click.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Also you're a bit off on how luck works. It's actually a range from -0.1 to 0.1, and each fortune teller message has a possible range of values that it can mean. For instance "feels neutral" can mean a value from -0.02 to 0.02, excluding exactly 0 (which has its own message of "absolutely neutral"), while "good humor" means anything from 0.02 to 0.07.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do the Joja guys ever show up for a festival? I imagine they're not even going to do the Junes thing where they're notionally interested in the community.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Morris is the only Joja guy in town, the employees are all townsfolk who have their schedule eaten up by manning the front counter.

And yeah, Morris does not attend festivals.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

Hell I think the only one you can actually form a relationship with is Shane. Which becomes a lot easier once you finish the community center.

Does make half of his relationship scenes make no sense, though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Sam works at Jojamart too, although it's easier to forget that.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
GQ did a big article about the developer of Stardew and how it came to be. It's a pretty interesting read.

https://www.gq.com/story/stardew-valley-eric-barone-profile

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

There is actually a way to reach Pierre at the Spring festival - the walk that leads up to the community center area is blocked off, but only so that you can't reach the upper section of the town, and you can travel to the left behind the shop and hospital to reach him.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Slime Rancher

Today calls for expansions for the ranch, new ways to suck resources right from the ground, and some slight Jurassic Park-ing.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

Oh man, unlocking a new area before you have someone else's ranch to use to store the new slimes?

Get ready for lots of Tarr on Thorn's ranch, guys.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thadius posted:

Oh man, unlocking a new area before you have someone else's ranch to use to store the new slimes?

Get ready for lots of Tarr on Thorn's ranch, guys.

There's really only two types of slimes that are absolutely, 100% no good idea, loving terrible for having next to other pens.Naturally the only solution is to cross them into largos and give them their own area far, far away from anything else.

(plus side is they can feed themselves if you put a garden close by, how exactly they do that is left as an exercise for the uninformed reader.)

E: Sorry it's three.
Three types of rambunctious slime boys

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 23, 2018

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

The only thing I haven't managed to do yet is finish off the 7Zee rewards club and find one specific item for the Slimepedia. Both of those just take patience and diligence at this point in the game. There are also some achievements I'm just not going to do, like 'pen three types of largos in one pen.'

Man, once you get to the point when you have all the money, you just have no time to yourself anymore.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there was a point in the game where i thought 'hey, pink plorts are worthless aren't they' and then i unlocked the lab

also the spiral steam from the pump is a reference to spiral knights, a game which i think some of the devs of slime rancher worked on before this?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Johnny Joestar posted:

there was a point in the game where i thought 'hey, pink plorts are worthless aren't they' and then i unlocked the lab

also the spiral steam from the pump is a reference to spiral knights, a game which i think some of the devs of slime rancher worked on before this?

The main dev and lead artist, at least.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
This LP got me to reinstall and start playing Slime Rancher again, and it's a blast. Somehow I never thought of taking the saber slime plorts home to combine with my OWN slimes, I only sold the plorts I've gotten so far. Now I'll need to figure out a good combination for them. Right now I believe all my combinations are Rad/Boom, Rock/Tabby, Phosphor/Crystal, and Hunter/Honey. Every combo has a favorite fruit or veggie so I don't have to deal with raising chickens and worry about catching more chickens/roosters when they get old.

also the Fruit Cocktail achievement is for having three different fruit trees growing on your ranch. Pogofruit, Cuberry, and Mint Mango are the three you can access right now I believe.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also the ogden sidequest can be a bit grindy but the rewards from it feel mildly more useful than the mochi sidequest's ones. the tradeoff is that the mochi stuff takes less time to do if you're remotely decent at it. ogden's tofu is really good for making money if you already have some good slimes. mochi's most basic reward is just 150 newbucks for every 10 of the thing you get for her, and there are a good handful of plorts that are basically around that same amount which you can get two of from a largo. they both end up getting you some nice stuff, but part of me did wish that the wilds weren't as annoying as they can be to explore.

kind of wondering if the devs have more planned, update-wise, or if they're maybe thinking about a slime rancher 2? a sequel that just has more of everything in general would be amazing.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

Actually, Mochi's first reward, Mochi's Extra Mile, is a 5-10% chance (Don't quote me on numbers) to get double the sale value of a plort when you take it to the market.

It's too unreliable to go 'I'll sell all these things and thanks to Mochi have enough to afford the next level of the reward's club' but if you were already selling a load of stuff on the market, it'll be some extra bucks in your pocket.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

kind of wondering if the devs have more planned, update-wise, or if they're maybe thinking about a slime rancher 2? a sequel that just has more of everything in general would be amazing.

Their roadmap has two more big updates planned: an automation update, which adds drones to slime science to take over some of the grunt work for you, and one centred around Viktor. No idea what they're planning further out though. I do love this game and hope they keep going with it or a sequel; it's fertile ground for new ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Their roadmap has two more big updates planned: an automation update, which adds drones to slime science to take over some of the grunt work for you, and one centred around Viktor. No idea what they're planning further out though. I do love this game and hope they keep going with it or a sequel; it's fertile ground for new ideas.

Tenebrais posted:

drones to slime science to take over some of the grunt work for you

Tenebrais posted:

drones

You know, if they hadn't already taken my money, I'd say take my money for content like that.