Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I've pulled out plenty of Strange Diamonds. Had a hard time getting Royal Jelly until I stuck my apiaries in one particular zone.
Lava Dust.... Lava Dust is my bane.

Also agree that while Ogden's stuff is more useful (FARMS) but Mochi's worth doing. Mochi's stuff takes you like, 3 in-game hours to do tops and it's pretty fun to do. Getting a full tank of Kooka's for Ogden can take an entire in game day sometimes.

Of course, then Thorn lucks out and get's a Lava Dust right off the bat and like, 4 kooka balls one after the other. I've run around there plenty and have a hard time finding just 1.

Edit: Admittedly, I did find a bunch on my first time through there but they seem rather annoying to spawn on repeat trips.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I've pulled out plenty of Strange Diamonds. Had a hard time getting Royal Jelly until I stuck my apiaries in one particular zone.
Lava Dust.... Lava Dust is my bane.

Also agree that while Ogden's stuff is more useful (FARMS) but Mochi's worth doing. Mochi's stuff takes you like, 3 in-game hours to do tops and it's pretty fun to do. Getting a full tank of Kooka's for Ogden can take an entire in game day sometimes.

Of course, then Thorn lucks out and get's a Lava Dust right off the bat and like, 4 kooka balls one after the other. I've run around there plenty and have a hard time finding just 1.

Edit: Admittedly, I did find a bunch on my first time through there but they seem rather annoying to spawn on repeat trips.

If you haven't found out that Thorn is a filthy lucker by now...

Still, getting lava dust is a right pain. Diamonds is just a matter of persistence, Lava is too, but I have like three diamonds and have found no lava.
Kinda annoying.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, Slime Science. Makes you want a second set of tanks on the vac just for science vials.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wait, the main artist is the guy who worked on spiral Knights? Oh poo poo he does the comic Three Panel Soul and used to make Mac Hall, I should have recognized his style.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Glazius posted:

Man, Slime Science. Makes you want a second set of tanks on the vac just for science vials.

That's one of the few annoyances I have with this game. 4 tanks + water is pretty reasonable but I wish that you could fill multiple tanks with a single item. You can't, you gotta dump that tank full of whatever before you can pick up more of it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Dreadwroth posted:

Wait, the main artist is the guy who worked on spiral Knights? Oh poo poo he does the comic Three Panel Soul and used to make Mac Hall, I should have recognized his style.
There's definitely one particular Three Panel Soul strip that you can point at and go "This is why Slime Rancher"

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Dreadwroth posted:

Huh. No wonder I was getting a weird sense of deja vu from the character designs.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He did some good work on the Marathon mod he worked on, but I think the files are lost to time now.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Ah, found it. Sure, it was for Spiral Knights, but when you look at Slime Rancher, you KNOW that stuck with him.

Dreadwroth posted:

He did some good work on the Marathon mod he worked on, but I think the files are lost to time now.
RED? Looks like the original Infinity stuff is still there but the A1 conversion is gone.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Stardew Valley

When fighting your enemies, use their friends' heads against them.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Surprised you are selling almost all the Salmonberries. I found them super handy for eating for health/energy while mining, and they are probably the cheapest gifts in the game - there are like 8 or so people who like them (not just Linus/Leah). Not sure if 5 gold a pop is worth selling for.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Yeah, I pretty much used salmonberries as early energy or turning them into jam for a small profit boost at least.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Filthy lucker indeed. Red cabbage on the cart and you had the money to buy it. Now all you need is the Rare seed before fall.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I love how happy Robin is when building stuff. Hammers a few times, stops to enjoy the moment before hammering some more.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Gully Foyle posted:

Surprised you are selling almost all the Salmonberries. I found them super handy for eating for health/energy while mining, and they are probably the cheapest gifts in the game - there are like 8 or so people who like them (not just Linus/Leah). Not sure if 5 gold a pop is worth selling for.
:same: to both

Something you can effortlessly have huge stacks of makes the perfect energy recovery item, even if each one doesn't restore much at a time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Salmonberries are energy fodder, while other special forage (spring onions) are better to sell.
Salmonberry Jam however, is an overall good gift because it counts as an artisan good and gift's don't care how expensive their base item is.

Of course, in the early game when you're pretty much 100% Money Making Game then there's no reason not to sell hundreds of salmonberries.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It might be tempting in the early game to sell the salmonberries for up to 1700 bucks, but 8 of them give the same energy and healing as a Life Elixir. They're a lot easier to guarantee in spades than Life Elixirs as well, even if you tell Demetrius to turn the cave into a mushroom farm. Rushing Foraging 4 takes some gumption and/or luck, and running around for as many berries as you can snag does take away time for other things, but it pays off extremely well since you can end up with over 40 Life Elixirs' worth of energy in your pocket that you can eat as you need it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Thadius posted:

Filthy lucker indeed. Red cabbage on the cart and you had the money to buy it. Now all you need is the Rare seed before fall.

I imagine luck evens out if you just check every day but don't show anybody your misses.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

man, there's really not all that much redeeming about the wilderness farm, is there? i'm waiting for the multiplayer update to come out before i play again but i'm missing my forest farm already.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I'm unreasonably upset that Thorn hasn't planted those ancient seeds yet. They grow in any non-winter season, don't just save them for the greenhouse or something :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

You don't save Ancient Seeds for the Greenhouse.

You save them for seedmakers.
So you can make more of them without having to rely on digging them up via RNG.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

EponymousMrYar posted:

You don't save Ancient Seeds for the Greenhouse.

You save them for seedmakers.
So you can make more of them without having to rely on digging them up via RNG.

Yeah but you still gotta have the fruit for that, no reason not to plant 'em (except not breaking the game) considering when he found 'em

Nuckelavee
Feb 25, 2014
Yami, the stump game is you have to pound a nail into the stump in one hit, otherwise drink. It's how I got drunk for the first time

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Nalesh posted:

No, a Geop Slime, when you give it its Blooming Onions, you get pun plorts.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Now I need to listen to/watch those loons playing Wind Waker again

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

This is great.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
FYI Slime Rancher is on sale for $12 on Steam.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ciaphas posted:

Now I need to listen to/watch those loons playing Wind Waker again

He also recently re-revived the Darksouls 2 LP.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dreadwroth posted:

FYI Slime Rancher is on sale for $12 on Steam.

It is totally worth it.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yes it is, Ive been ranching them slimy rascals but I probably have too many stuffed into each paddock.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

I don't think there is a metal slime and that fits the style so damned well, too bad there already is an odd onion in the game, so blooming onions wouldn't make the cut...

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Slime Rancher

What could be inside all of these treasure pods? And what's on the other side of this ancient plort door? Stuff for me.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Can confirm, the next area of slime rancher is indeed difficult if you don't know what you're doing. Even when I was comfortably done with it, there were still secrets to uncover and finish off. Plus parts of it are locked behind other parts. And it brings back that mechanic we all loved from Ocarina of Time: Timed quests!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I've only had one slime in my corral of Quantum Largo's ever escape from it. They only seem to do the quantum teleport stuff when they're unhappy.

I also had to get my Phase Lemons from a box. I don't know why it is but I have never seen a lemon on any of those trees ever. Probably because you have to stick around in this area for their grow cycle to complete but the terrible secret of slime ruins is that the door gimmick is just that: a gimmick. You can very easily hit the button once and get almost everywhere in the ruins because most of the doors are outright redundant.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the quantum slimes will swap with their projections if they're exceptionally hungry or just bored, but it's never really an issue if you just put them somewhere where the game isn't actively trying to keep track of them. you can also just feed them or splash them with a little water to get them to quit doing it. i also had quite a bit of trouble getting my hands on my first phase lemon because even when the trees have grown fruits it's hard to see on the flickering model.

the zone after the ancient ruins is cool as hell and what little 'story' exists for it was a nice little capstone on everything for such a casual and chill game, so i'm looking forward to that being shown.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Quantum slimes are the ones I throw into the docks area, with the puddle slimes. They don't seem to be able to get themselves into the farm proper from down there.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Leal posted:

Quantum slimes are the ones I throw into the docks area, with the puddle slimes. They don't seem to be able to get themselves into the farm proper from down there.

Huh, a use for the docks... I ended up stuffing them on the main farm because that way I could keep an eye on them. Damned things kept getting out if they were anywhere else, even with only ten of them in the corral and the food at medium. And since the little shits can do the phase thing out of a pen, what make you think they can't just as easily get into another pen? I ended up losing my nuke slimes and my quantum/spoiler slimes that way. Which was a pain because it happened AFTER I sold all the plorts.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So given the rich economy outside slime world, what the qubit are quantum plorts for?

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Pretty much you would expect them to be used for, quantum mad science experiments that may or may not destroy the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The ruins were kind of disappointing to me. Just one new slime and one new fruit. The next area is much better.

Phase lemons didn't always grow normally on the farm. Originally you had to stick a fruit in them to get them too. Providing your own fruit wasn't a problem - just grab the free pogofruits from the grassy area - but since the fruit didn't drop off naturally, you could only get them if you happened to catch the tree while the fruit were ripe. It was a huge pain.
Phase lemons are the "awkward" fruit to go with odd onions being the awkward veggies and roostros the awkward chickens, where they follow their own rules rather than being something you can get reliably.