Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

ThornBrain posted:

Stardew Valley

Between blackberries and pumpkins, Fall is being good to me.

Blackberries and salmonberries are both affected by Botanist just like ground forage is. So really, it's not that ConcernedApe sucks at picking fruit but that it's his belief only an expert eye can tell what a quality berry on the bush looks like. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

No, you can't make Lewis eat his shorts. You'll see where they can be used in two/three updates.

... you can put his shorts in the grange display, can't you. I wonder if Robin's axe will go in there as well. They're probably not worth many points.

The bit about Joja Bluu being cheaper than water sounds funny, but that can happen. I was drink shopping once and noticed that 8 ounces of bottled water was 98 cents, but I could get 16 ounces of sports drink for a buck-eighty.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

On a side note, apparently I'm wrong about the shorts-eating, but you only get a unique response for it in the beta. As for the points from putting the judge's special shorts on display, well... we'll see about that. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dareon posted:

... you can put his shorts in the grange display, can't you. I wonder if Robin's axe will go in there as well. They're probably not worth many points.

The bit about Joja Bluu being cheaper than water sounds funny, but that can happen. I was drink shopping once and noticed that 8 ounces of bottled water was 98 cents, but I could get 16 ounces of sports drink for a buck-eighty.
Yeah, those filtered spring water bottles can get expensive. Where I live, a 1 liter bottle of Poland Spring is a buck-sixty or something like that, but a 1 liter bottle of iced tea is a dollar.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the idea of the 'food desert' pretty much exists because some areas aren't even viewed as being worthy of a grocery store so most of what's available is just (mostly) dirt cheap and absolutely horrible quality stuff at corner marts or gas stations

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Dareon posted:

... you can put his shorts in the grange display, can't you.
Oh my god I hope this is what you can do with them :allears:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Stardew Valley

Will my inadvertent procrastination pay off with a still-impressive grange display? Only the single judge can know.

(Updating today instead of Monday due to a CPU failure, and I want my schedule clear ahead of time just in case it's not fixed on Sunday.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The grange display isn't too difficult since it's mostly quality and variety.

Fish are a trap though. They stink.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

You can get star tokens from the strength game, but only 1 at a time if you get either the very highest or very lowest rating, which you showed very well requires almost frame-perfect timing so is seriously not worth the effort.

Slight is an understatement - the spinner has a 75% chance of landing on green vs. 25% for orange. It's the fastest way to afford everything at the store, but not necessarily more fun than playing the fishing game a bunch.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Or if you want to be a massive nerd, win the grange display, bet everything on green, reset the day if you don't win :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Resetting the day is weird, because I'd half expect the seed for random events to change, but when I did it because I accidentally hosed up a birthday (I thought Demetrius would like a cool rock!), I still got the same things from geodes and trash cans. Which was good, because I gave Demetrius the ice cream from the trash that had gone to Sam on the first cycle.

Once the topic came up, I checked youtube to see if you could put the mayor's shorts in the grange display. You can, and he gets embarrassed and gives you 750 starbucks. E: In the 1.3 update, you can put the shorts in the soup at the Luau. It goes about as well as you'd expect.

Meanwhile I'm watching two other Stardew LPs in addition to this one (Stumpt and Wanderbot are both doing multiplayer), and it's making me occasionally confused about what events have happened in my own game.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 21, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Stardrops are pretty much only there because of Power Berries, right? Maximum stamina upgrades don't make a lot of sense when you can just cart around whatever restoratives you want, unless restoratives regularly give you back more than your max stamina.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Between increasing your max energy and your skill levels reducing how much energy it takes to use your tools, with a few Stardrops under your belt you can do a full day's hard work and still have half a tank left. It's pretty great.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

You start the game with 270 energy, and there's exactly two items that restore more energy than that - an iridium purple mushroom and energy tonic (that you only really see either in the mail or for 1000 bucks a pop in the doctor's office). Still, being able to almost double your starting energy is good for both making consumables last a bit longer and for taking some of the pain out of staying up past your bedtime. The need diminishes once you have sprinkler farms and gold/iridium equipment, but it's still nice to have the buffer.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's illegal for mayors to love. But not for chickens to be blue.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Drinking during your medical checkup is also fine.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I love the smell of fresh-cut cedar. Ask Skippy, that smell is crack cocaine for a woodworker.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You filthy lucker. I hard teched to rabbits during winter because a rabbit's foot and a truffle are all I'm missing from the community center. Deforested the whole map.

And like you guys, I see absolutely zero problem with Marnie and Lewis hooking up. I'll bet none of the other townsfolk do either, because, news flash, this is a small town and you two literally make eyes at each other at the bar every night. Everyone has told everyone about it. Probably the only person who doesn't know is Jas.

Although (1.3 beta spoiler), If you shake a bush by the beach exit at exactly 40 past midnight, Marnie and Lewis jump out of it and run away. That's pretty funny.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Dareon posted:

And like you guys, I see absolutely zero problem with Marnie and Lewis hooking up. I'll bet none of the other townsfolk do either, because, news flash, this is a small town and you two literally make eyes at each other at the bar every night. Everyone has told everyone about it. Probably the only person who doesn't know is Jas.

There should be an option in that cutscene that's something like "You guys know literally the entire town knows and doesn't care, right?"

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

8357 has never been happier.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's the Baba Yaga with the hut that has the legs, she flies around in a mortar and has iron teeth. You basically don't want her to catch you out at night, she likes to eat people and mount their skulls on her fence.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Dreadwroth posted:

It's the Baba Yaga with the hut that has the legs, she flies around in a mortar and has iron teeth. You basically don't want her to catch you out at night, she likes to eat people and mount their skulls on her fence.

Especially now that she has her depth perception back.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Something I've wanted to do as an addition to this thread since the beginning is take a look at a similar game that I've enjoyed for many months now, and which Skippy Granola recently picked up himself: My Time at Portia. It's a crafting/construction game in the vein of many such games on Steam right now, (Rust, ARK, Minecraft, etc), except the crafting isn't a hollow replacement du jour for an incomplete concept. Crafting is the point, and so the developers, Pathea Games, built the game around it and populated it with its own unique art direction, characters and worldbuilding. The result fits nicely between Minecraft, Animal Crossing, and a bit of Stardew Valley.
Portia is still in early access, but the devs are constantly adding to it and improving the quality-of-life, and though yes, it can be pretty grindy, it's already a relaxing and engaging game that Skippy and I both recommend. If that doesn't convince you, then at least enjoy our adventures with grumpy, honey-voiced grandma Lurmph.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 5, 2018

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Oh wow, that is some fantastic music!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
...aaaaaaannnnnnd purchased.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Those caterpillars look so loving sassy. "Oh noo, I've been caught. What're you gonna do, use me as fish bait?"

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ive been playing the demo, man that game is good for what it is. The art direction is pretty great.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"The taste reminds you of spiders."

Well that could get quite a bit weirder even if you put something completely innocuous in there.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Well, Portia was on my wishlist for a while but you guys convinced me to buy it and dive in. Sounds like it's got enough in it to be worth the money.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kibayasu posted:

"The taste reminds you of spiders."

Well that could get quite a bit weirder even if you put something completely innocuous in there.

Betrayal.

Computers.

Cats.

Asbestos.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

People?

But what if you just wanted a social farmer? :(

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

"The taste reminds you of Julia."

There. Now I've gone and made it sad.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it didn't have much fanfare which is funny given what it is but a few weeks ago slime rancher added a 'party gordo' update where every weekend a party gordo appears somewhere and you can pop it to get a bunch of decorative ornaments for your ranch. i think the presents containing ornaments can also rarely spawn like normal crates around the map in hidden spots, too.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/433340/announcements/detail/1656641115401038466

nothing major of note, but it's neat how the devs keep adding fun stuff like this.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lazy Bear posted:

"The taste reminds you of Julia."

*organ music starts*

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Nothing like a prick rival you can't befriend.

Also no, Sam's not Tiana. She doesn't voice in this.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I like that the assembly manual tells you where to get the mats for things, it's a really nice QOL thing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dreadwroth posted:

I like that the assembly manual tells you where to get the mats for things, it's a really nice QOL thing.

sometimes a little mystery is nice in terms of how to go about things but yeah in a game where it's like 90% crafting i want the thing to tell me directly most of the time

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Kurieg posted:

*organ music starts*

Oof, good reference. Wasn't even going for that but... Yeah, right in the feels.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Remington didn't get it right, he called it the Civil Corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Stardew Valley

Fortune favors getting your rear end kicked by flying snakes.