Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oh hell, they must have added the maps to slime rancher after i stopped playing heavily. that was always a thing the game sorely needed.

also i always really loved finding crates in the game, because something about them was nice and i enjoyed busting them open even if half the time they have practically nothing i would care for. it helps that they just keep respawning in various places every day ingame.

on a related note it looks like the nimble valley update is getting added tomorrow: http://steamcommunity.com/games/433340/announcements/detail/1658885938981053526

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's also just way more satisfying to fill out the community center and engage with that aspect of the game since it's pretty much the intended way to go through it all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a great change they made to the game was that you no longer have to replant crops. used to be that the plots would run for a few cycles and then peter out, needing another fruit/veggie to be shot into the receptor to start anew, but i guess the devs realized that having it run out really served no purpose other than annoyance.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also the 'question mark' on the honey slime's picture is just the shading of its mouth, which is open and drooling a bit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's only one slime that you can't find in a base form and the lp hasn't run into it yet

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i enjoyed using the caves to freerange a bunch of phosphor/honey largos and had a couple cuberry trees growing to feed them. also i think i used the overgrowth to freerange some tabby/boom slimes? it's a lot more fun than keeping them in pens.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

unless there's some mod fuckery going on i think haley is the only one it's possible to dance with at the flower dance, because her birthday is the only one that happens before it and you can get a lot of relationship with her from giving her a loved item

which, yeah, leads to a lot of people disappointed in not being able to participate unless they know this

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Leal posted:

Shane can as well, as he also has a birthday beforehand. He also likes sugar peas and of course he loves beer, good thing he is at the bar every night! I'm sure giving him a beer on his bday will get the needed hearts alone.

ah, i'd never paid much attention to the new romance options. as long as it's a loved item for the person then it should give enough to make up the hearts needed. i guess that makes for 2 who can be danced with in the first year, then.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there was a point in the game where i thought 'hey, pink plorts are worthless aren't they' and then i unlocked the lab

also the spiral steam from the pump is a reference to spiral knights, a game which i think some of the devs of slime rancher worked on before this?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also the ogden sidequest can be a bit grindy but the rewards from it feel mildly more useful than the mochi sidequest's ones. the tradeoff is that the mochi stuff takes less time to do if you're remotely decent at it. ogden's tofu is really good for making money if you already have some good slimes. mochi's most basic reward is just 150 newbucks for every 10 of the thing you get for her, and there are a good handful of plorts that are basically around that same amount which you can get two of from a largo. they both end up getting you some nice stuff, but part of me did wish that the wilds weren't as annoying as they can be to explore.

kind of wondering if the devs have more planned, update-wise, or if they're maybe thinking about a slime rancher 2? a sequel that just has more of everything in general would be amazing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

man, there's really not all that much redeeming about the wilderness farm, is there? i'm waiting for the multiplayer update to come out before i play again but i'm missing my forest farm already.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the quantum slimes will swap with their projections if they're exceptionally hungry or just bored, but it's never really an issue if you just put them somewhere where the game isn't actively trying to keep track of them. you can also just feed them or splash them with a little water to get them to quit doing it. i also had quite a bit of trouble getting my hands on my first phase lemon because even when the trees have grown fruits it's hard to see on the flickering model.

the zone after the ancient ruins is cool as hell and what little 'story' exists for it was a nice little capstone on everything for such a casual and chill game, so i'm looking forward to that being shown.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I found it by accident on my first visit to the desert.
Its really not that rare.

given how it works ingame it is explicitly rare

only one a day spawns and only in one of 70+ spots across the entire zone

on an unrelated note i dunno if i'd say beatrix is meant to be the exact opposite of hobson. in regards to how the game plays out we don't actually know what she'll ultimately 'choose' and it leaves it kind of open-ended. hobson and beatrix start out in the same position, what with being on the ranch, so it's neat that things are left up to however the player wants to interpret it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's not only required but ethical to install a mod that removes harvey's awful mustache

also forest farm is absolutely best farm in terms of utility and aesthetics

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kurieg posted:

Also, slime rancher is 40% off on steam right now.

only 12 bucks for a chill as hell game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Glazius posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty nice credit scene. What triggers further letters from Casey? Just plot progress, or time?

i think it's a combination of both? once you reach the glass desert and start going into it, reading the hobson notes, it seems like the final stretch of casey letters starts picking up even if it's been a while since you've had any. there might be some triggers in the slime key doors and the like that will enable more letters to show up. it's all meant to roughly culminate in the player finding that last point out at the end and getting the final messages.

i think i first found that final spot when it was night and the giant slime-faced moon took up like half the screen. it looked pretty great.

e: there we go, forgot i had this

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 16, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for the record, the legendary fish found off the end of that pier in summer doesn't require it to be raining to show up. it'd sure be AWFUL if any of them were restricted by both season and weather

which is why one of them is, of course

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there is no failstate whatsoever in either slime rancher or stardew valley, so basically you never need to stress about a single thing. in slime rancher especially, because most everything is easily replaceable even if there's a catastrophic tarr chain reaction on your ranch somehow.

also i'm sad that the 'real' use of the gilded ginger hasn't been shown yet

which is putting it in a master gordo snare

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think one of the recent patches actually made it so less time gets eaten up if you beef it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i remember when i had harvest moon: friends of mineral town that there were townspeople who would court the various romantic interests and being a dumb kid i spend quite a while getting my poo poo in gear until a point where the final heart event between some guy and the girl i was trying to marry (the one brown-haired lady who liked booze) was set up to trigger in a specific part and so to get my final relationship stuff in i learned to avoid that area like crazy until it was safe

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you still need to stick a gilded ginger in the max rank gordo snare >:c

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the mochi update is the thing that made me confident that a slime rancher 2 would be really drat good, because it adds such a unique little minigame using the mechanics already there and shows how much creativity they have room to show off.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oh hell, i didn't notice until now that the rush video shows off golden gordos. i was hoping those would be gone over at some point, and i've never actually done rush mode before so i had no idea they were spread out around it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the idea of the 'food desert' pretty much exists because some areas aren't even viewed as being worthy of a grocery store so most of what's available is just (mostly) dirt cheap and absolutely horrible quality stuff at corner marts or gas stations

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it didn't have much fanfare which is funny given what it is but a few weeks ago slime rancher added a 'party gordo' update where every weekend a party gordo appears somewhere and you can pop it to get a bunch of decorative ornaments for your ranch. i think the presents containing ornaments can also rarely spawn like normal crates around the map in hidden spots, too.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/433340/announcements/detail/1656641115401038466

nothing major of note, but it's neat how the devs keep adding fun stuff like this.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dreadwroth posted:

I like that the assembly manual tells you where to get the mats for things, it's a really nice QOL thing.

sometimes a little mystery is nice in terms of how to go about things but yeah in a game where it's like 90% crafting i want the thing to tell me directly most of the time

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

with every update that comes out i'm reminded of how much i enjoy stardew valley's music. fall and winter's, especially.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you two are doing a pretty good job on selling me on this game, although i dunno if i'll get it as of yet. it seems pretty relaxed and upfront about what kind of game it is which is nice. the art is also just ignorable at absolute worst and enjoyable otherwise, which helps.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

figured it was worth noting but the drones update for slime rancher should be coming out soon. would have been nice if it was in earlier, but, presumably in the next couple days people will soon have little helper bees around to do stuff for them

they come with a wide variety of things you can program them to do!

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 17, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That is a seriously impressive level of graphical polish theyve done on this.

it's seriously to the point where it's cool and all that they're supporting the game with all these updates but i would absolutely want to support them by buying a sequel with all of this stuff in it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

looks like the drone update actually went out today

https://steamcommunity.com/games/433340/announcements/detail/2644060501243246153

i guess they're water-powered, and need to be splashed once a day more or less to keep functioning

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Scalding Coffee posted:

Maybe you can make them wear any outfit you have for slimes.

there was definitely one wearing googly eyes in a gif i saw, and as also said one was wearing shades. so yeah you can use the deco pods on them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

someone please tell the devs to make a sequel so i can give them more money

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

grats on the archiving! i was glad to see it kick back into gear and start putting things on it again. i just hope the slime rancher devs announce plans for a sequel, as i've posted about before, probably multiple times now. unfortunately, though, june 18th is the same day that bloodstained comes out. sorry, slime rancher devs, i will be occupied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, thanks for the lp! i need to dig into another run of the game sometime just to check out all the added content. i know i'm definitely one of the people constantly calling for like a sequel or something and really wish monomi park would give us excuses to throw cash their way.