Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You should totally do a slime fashion show once you unlock the slime fashiony stuff.

I love Slime Rancher. It's not just aesthetically cute, a lot of the writing is very sweet too. And for how simple the mechanics are - there's no slime husbandry or anything, you just keep slimes and feed them - it's remarkably addictive.

I think the main purpose of the music upgrade in the corrals is that it reduces the slimes' agitation, which is what gets them doing their awkward behaviours (like rock slimes rolling around and hurting you, or tabby slimes picking up random stuff and playing with it). I'm not super positive on how agitation works though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Seeing you run around the crystal slimes without a water tank was harrowing.

I'm looking forward to the Mochi Miles patch, I'd like to see more of what makes her tick as a character. Everything in this game is so sweet, I want to see what they'll do with her.

Also more slimes or whatever.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 10, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

By the way, the Slime Rancher update with Mochi's zone hit today. Check it out, all y'all that have the game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It took me a while when I first played to notice that the only words BOb knows are "Hello", "Chickens" and "Bob" with varying spelling.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 16, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

kind of wondering if the devs have more planned, update-wise, or if they're maybe thinking about a slime rancher 2? a sequel that just has more of everything in general would be amazing.

Their roadmap has two more big updates planned: an automation update, which adds drones to slime science to take over some of the grunt work for you, and one centred around Viktor. No idea what they're planning further out though. I do love this game and hope they keep going with it or a sequel; it's fertile ground for new ideas.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The ruins were kind of disappointing to me. Just one new slime and one new fruit. The next area is much better.

Phase lemons didn't always grow normally on the farm. Originally you had to stick a fruit in them to get them too. Providing your own fruit wasn't a problem - just grab the free pogofruits from the grassy area - but since the fruit didn't drop off naturally, you could only get them if you happened to catch the tree while the fruit were ripe. It was a huge pain.
Phase lemons are the "awkward" fruit to go with odd onions being the awkward veggies and roostros the awkward chickens, where they follow their own rules rather than being something you can get reliably.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I thought the song was (in-story) performed by Casey. It's a pretty drat androgynous voice, after all.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Also anything hungry enough can just break out of the corrals. And potentially into corrals, eating foreign plorts to become tarr and eat all your other slimes!

However, nothing in Slime Rancher is hard to replace if you lose it. The challenge is in reaching the slimes and foods in the first place; once you've filled a corral once you can easily find enough slimes to do it again.

Incidentally, there's a chance that items you drop if you drown will turn up on the coast of the Dry Reef where those stone ring formations are. Of course, if you're carrying food and drown at night, it'll have almost certainly rotted by the time you get there.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 22, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

One day I'll make a "fruit" salad out of tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure the long knock-out timer is why the game advises you not to go out at night early on. When you get knocked out you sleep for 12 hours then until the next 6am. So if it's day time, you'll sleep for twelve then the rest of the night, but if you get knocked out at night, you sleep for 12 hours, then it's late morning/afternoon so you go all the way through the day to the next 6am.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A good ending! I do love this game. And I am now more aware of otters!

I look forward to seeing you showing off the Mochi stuff.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I like that that Pierre heart scene starts with your character doing stuff you have definitely been doing with all the other characters in-game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I look forward to the automation update that's coming up next, whenever that is. Something to reduce the amount of grind in your ranch.

Apparently the silo update also increased the amount Mochi pays out for quicksilver plorts, too.

Edit: I gave Tumblr a search and there are a total four fanarts of Mochi Miles, but one of them did have her hugging Bea so I guess you were right on that one.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 11, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

And you're not going to post it?!

It's nothing special.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Well, Portia was on my wishlist for a while but you guys convinced me to buy it and dive in. Sounds like it's got enough in it to be worth the money.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

AltaBrown posted:

Some 70 hours into My Time at Portia and I have to say that you're going to need a lot of Carbon Steel. No, like way more than that. Nope, even more. Just - just build three Industrial Furnaces, and have two of them make nothing but Carbon Steel, while the third makes Charcoal. Constantly.

Getting a comprehensive cutter/grinder was like a gift from the gods.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

They are really great. If you can power them when you get them.

I couldn't :v: I was far off from orange-flavored power and electricity generation was the last thing Petra figured out for me before giving me research notes.

Interesting. As soon as I made my first, the weekend spot-checking prizes changed from power crystals to the yellow cubes. Maybe that was a coincidence though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I thought only Abigail and Alex referenced the same-sex relationship?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The drones might just be the cutest things in the game. Monomi Park have outdone themselves, I didn't even know that was possible.

Now to re-arrange my entire ranch to maximise how automatable it is! Since drones can be given generic categories like "fruit" and "plorts", you can have a section with two fruit gardens, and two corrals for slimes that like those fruits, and have one drone to feed them all and one to sell all the plorts.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Thadius posted:

Except that each drone can only carry one type of plort to a destination.

Nope, there's a general Plorts category! Though they can only carry one type at a time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The fact that someone has actually made that into a real song enriches my life.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The drones are the cutest thing in the whole game. :3:

The real fun is redesigning your ranch around what the drones are capable of, so each area has either only veggie or only fruit slimes. Then you have one drone feeding them and one drone selling them! All you've got to do is go round and water the drones every other day.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Heck yeah more Slime Rancher!

The new slime styles are all great. Apparently it actually meant an overhaul of how largos work behind the scenes - they're no longer each specifically modelled (there's four times as many now!) and instead generated programatically from the base slime model.
As a consequence there's actually models for pure saber slimes now, though they never spawn in the game.

My favourite style is the Arcane slime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I found the portable water tap useful to set up just outside my lab. The slimeulations wipe out your liquid storage so it's convenient to fill up right there to go water your drones.

Thank you for this LP! Slime Rancher is one of my favourite games just out of pure sweetness. It's good to see it get attention.