Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Faust keeps smarming it up big time. This game needs more Faust.

...And less game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Honestly this was borderline the dullest thing so far.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

And he didn't even get an answer.
I'm almost certain that's because there isn't really much to reveal in this story and the writers felt the need to spread out the reveals. Well, they could have thrown us some bone and at least revealed why Faust wears this huge scarf.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Let's make sure the villain mugs at the camera every chance he gets while wearing a fluffy boa constrictor that conceals his face at most angles.

And make sure the hero sounds like he's tromping around in metal greaves during the cutscenes and clicking around in stilletto heels during actual gameplay.

(I think the game means Faust has longevity and youth, though neither is eternal. Not really how the myth works but okay.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I only noticed now, but somehow the characters have no textures in their mouths beyond their teeth. :psyduck: Instead there's just a black void beyond their jaws.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That OHK spear is getting kind of ridiculous.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

NGDBSS posted:

Instead there's just a black void beyond their jaws.

That's because this game, and it's characters, have no soul.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's so satisfying to see a boss just get wrecked instantly. :allears: Being able to kill bosses with a single hit seems to be this game's version of mercy to the player.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

EagerSleeper posted:

It's so satisfying to see a boss just get wrecked instantly. :allears: Being able to kill bosses with a single hit seems to be this game's version of mercy to the player.

Especially when that boss was being a smug poo poo right before getting wrecked. "It seems as though I... underestimated you a bit" indeed.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

My favourite part is his recoil animation.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

So, the next level's footage is... uh... 50 minutes long, so it might take a while.

But here's a sample of the game's gorgeous writing

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Is... is she saying he should have just killed her without remorse?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think it would've been better if Gretchen just said that keeping someone around with good morals + doubts about Faust would've been useful some hundred years down the line by the time she resurrects, but this is more confusing so hence it makes the cut. Or maybe everyone in this game is an rear end in a top hat, including the witches. I could accept that too.

For Heinrich's cardinal sin of wanting to do the right thing, his punishment is death life.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I'm pretty sure Gretchen is an rear end in a top hat, but neither she or the writers think she is.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Something about this level gets in my hair.

The Entangled Castle

Try walking the way this guy does for an hour.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

That thunder phantom face reminds me of the Mouth of Sauron from Peter Jackson's Return of the King.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Clogged shower is now a video game level environment

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Now there goes any sympathy I might have had for this game. No matter how fabulously colored, giant spiders are a sign of creative bankruptcy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I have to say, I had no clue why you ended up missing your entire torso twice in a row. Can't tell the explosion from you just killin' a man.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Glazius posted:

Yeah, I have to say, I had no clue why you ended up missing your entire torso twice in a row. Can't tell the explosion from you just killin' a man.

I really like how every so often Gretchen would yell out in concern when Heinrich gets hit by something. When he straight up explodes badly enough to have his goddamn body ripped in half and his limbs flying, she's completely nonplussed.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
This game is going places. I don't know where those places are, and I'm not sure the game knows either, but drat it, the game is determined to go there.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The writing is rather sad, especially since you can't blame it on time constraint. A lot of the problems could have been solved by going for a "less is more" approach. Keep it simple and the story would have been better of and some time would have been saved which you can put into gameplay instead. God of War had a very simple story in the first game, it just set every character's motivation and the stakes of what was going on and it worked just fine. This game has a basic premise for a story that will do the trick with no problem.

However, even if they wanted to go one step further with the writing, a decent writer could have easily pulled it off. All the story stupidity in Rapunzel's castle which we've seen so far was easily fixable and they can even pull of a decent plot twist as well. All this game needed was some self awareness. Story-wise that is, chance is the gameplay never had any chance to be good due to time constraints, even if the game developers were competent in that area as well.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
"Once we're inside the castle, I'm sure we'll be safe from the stupid"

Oh my sweet summer child ...

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Ah, I thought that looked like mirrored text as I was watching it, and it turns out it is. However it's also German, or possibly fake German.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
It really is German, but as far as i can decipher the low resolution it is just gibberish without plot relevance. I don't think the plot involves any coffee, peppermint or rasberries. Lorem ipsum.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I've found the one thing that can instantly kill Heinrich while Gretchen's OK.

Furious Lightning

Our host tonight is...

She never got better after that trip to Willy Wonka's.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Witch of hair :psyduck:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Having hair just everywhere was kind of creepy at the start.

Giant sized bosses really are just an excuse to give the animators some more work, huh?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

HardDiskD posted:

She's like a low-budget Millia Rage. With no personality.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This obnoxious castle'd better end on a high note.

To the Unforeseen Future

What's the first thing that comes into your mind when you think about Rapunzel?

It's this now.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

That fight is incredibly boring, especially given that it's against a hair-themed prognosticating ghost giant spider witch. You'd think they could have come up with something interesting in that mess of adjectives.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Honestly I'm surprised that they didn't go further in aping Yunalesca. Maybe throw in a phase change or more connection to the plot beyond Heroic Sacrifice [Type 6]?

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
It seems nobody here appreciated the hair theme, so I wonder why the game developers thought it would be a good idea.

The worst is, a lot of the stupidity could have been avoided if they dialed back on the hair theme a little. Make Rapunzel a witch of threads instead of hair. Threads is already strongly associated with fate and destiny in various literature. If she is a witch of not just physical threads, but also supernatural threads like threads of fate and such, her future telling ability would have been easier to swallow. As for her name, if she is a witch of threads, it makes sense that she would also be very fond of long hair. So make Rapunzel a nickname she got that eventually became her main name.

Anyway, the twist that Rapunzel killed herself to shield Gretchen is a good enough twist on it's own. It's just hard to appreciate it among all this mangling of the story. They had a death scene that could have been sad if it wasn't for the horrible execution.

Actually, they had a second twist that was completely missed because the writers did not even realize they had a twist. All the other witches turned against the humans while Gretchen did not. Why is that, is it because she is a better person? The death scene with Rapunzel made it clear that if Gretchen hadn't been warned, she would also have become a monster hellbent on destroying humanity. So, let the player think that the idea is that Gretchen is just a very good person, but then reveal that she just got lucky. However, the writers don't seem to fully grasp this. When Gretchen sees the other witches committing atrocities, she is looking at a mirror. This is what she would have been if it wasn't for dumb luck. The dialog she has with the other witches don't follow trough on that however.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Crystalgate posted:

The worst is, a lot of the stupidity could have been avoided if they dialed back on the hair theme a little. Make Rapunzel a witch of threads instead of hair. Threads is already strongly associated with fate and destiny in various literature. If she is a witch of not just physical threads, but also supernatural threads like threads of fate and such, her future telling ability would have been easier to swallow. As for her name, if she is a witch of threads, it makes sense that she would also be very fond of long hair. So make Rapunzel a nickname she got that eventually became her main name.

That's a really clever idea. I'm sure the designers would never approve though, piles of hair are creepy and piles of thread are not.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

The hair theme could have worked if the had actually utilized it, but all we got was decor and one attack where she strung up Heinrich. A more Bayonetta approach where the hair became weapons or a puppeteer style with enemies being controlled by the hair would have been more visually interesting. As it was she looked as threatening as my cat, spitting hair balls and swiping when being loved.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
You can get the hair to work. You could both have the hair gimmick and unstupify Rapunzel's power even. However, you should know your limits. Are you able to actually pull off the hair theme and make it look creepy as opposed to a mess, both visually and in terms of story? If not, then don't even try. The writers of this game did not know their limits.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

One decent, if stupid, way to deal with the lack of bosses to carry the rest of the game would be for Verderende to have her own sub-boss squad. But I think we're gonna get 7 levels of filler.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

One decent, if stupid, way to deal with the lack of bosses to carry the rest of the game would be for Verderende to have her own sub-boss squad. But I think we're gonna get 7 levels of filler.

I'm expecting:
-2 stage levels
-1 boss fight level against the last witch
-2 more stage levels
-1 boss fight level against Faust's old man lackey
-1 more stage level
-2 boss fight levels against Faust

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

HardDiskD posted:

If the game was more competent, they could have made their own amusing system, instead of the classic eastern elemental circle. There is even a interesting creppy boss design hidden in there.

Witch of Hair
Witch of Bones
Witch of Eyes
Witch of Teeth
Witch of Hands

Verderinde is obviously the Titty Witch.

... :smugjones:

Eh, still more enjoyable than that pile of poo poo Dementia. :smuggo:

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm kind of rooting for Faust to get backstabbed at this point, honestly. It'd certainly let there be more stages chasing after whatever it was that dropped him.

• Locked thread