Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The best would be if the final boss was Gretchen, especially if it turns out she was super evil and it would have been better for everyone if you let her die and get a gameover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Why is the spider boss singing "banana" over and over?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think that the hair-covering-a-castle-in-a-storm design and how Gretchen could've been a vengeful witch were clever touches, but as always, the execution is very poorly handled. I did kinda laugh at how they reused the same QTE twice though.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

EagerSleeper posted:

I did kinda laugh at how they reused the same QTE twice though.

No, SelenicMartian simply failed the first attempt at the QTE, so as is standard with these kinds of games, the QTE starts from the top when it is triggered again.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You may be expecting the worst but not this, I bet.

The Witch's Enclosure

Under all that armour wights are cute and fluffy.

OK, there's another set of armour under the first one.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
For all its faults, I think it's cool you can kill the Death Chaser in a Death Chase scene. Though making him so easily chumpable might be taking it too far (nah, gently caress Death Chasers).

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm starting to be really annoyed by the letterbox -> walk a step -> letterbox thing.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

For all its faults, I think it's cool you can kill the Death Chaser in a Death Chase scene. Though making him so easily chumpable might be taking it too far (nah, gently caress Death Chasers).

In practice I agree with you, but it seems so badly designed when you can kill them. Especially when the game doesn't acknowledge that in any way.

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
Mostly this whole sequence looks like the developers entered crunch time and were told they had to fill X hours of playtime, so they quickly grabbed some assets they had lying around, stuck some textures on them so it'd at least look kind of different and moved on with trying to get this thing out the door in at least a playable state. Which they, admittedly, succeeded at.

Also, I'm actually starting to like Minukelsus. The game might put him down at every possible opportunity, but his moveset clearly has some actual thought put into it and his character is consistently the least bland thing on screen.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly, the funny thing is that offensively speaking, it looks like the weak link is actually Heinrich himself. Minukelsus actually has good damage and crowd control packed into low-enough CDs that he can always do SOMETHING.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Minukelsus riding piggy-back cements him as the best character in the game.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Minkelsus...actually seems more competent than Gretchen? Like he's actually running around, stabbing fools and blowing them up with bombs with what looks like little input from the player, while Gretchen has to be yelled at to use magic and her default voice clip is whining for help.

Or maybe I've just had enough of this game's bullshit.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I cannot respect this environment, but I can respect Minukelsus. Someone cared about making the little nebbish pretty capable when he had to get serious.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I like what they made him into eventually, but the whole 'what are you doing here?' every.other.level. drives me up the wall and down the other side. It works once. Maybe twice at a push. It's been like five times now. Aside from Minukelsus's positive contributions, Selenic's comment about this level being a punishment for the player getting this far and continuing seems pretty spot-on.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Honestly, the funny thing is that offensively speaking, it looks like the weak link is actually Heinrich himself. Minukelsus actually has good damage and crowd control packed into low-enough CDs that he can always do SOMETHING.

Yeah, the section almost would have worked better as the player playing as Minukelsus rather than as Heinrich. Complete a section as Heinrich, complete a different section as Minukelsus, swap back and forth with a boss fight that ends at the same time and it'd have been pretty neat.

To make the dynamic the same, they could have introduced another homunculus made by Minukelsus as a fighter that the player controls directly and that fights similarly to Heinrich.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

In terms of level theme, they could have made the level a confusing mish-mash of the backstories of Heinrich and Minukelsus, kind of like the Meat Circus from Psychonauts.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I was wondering: since the witches are very much keen on enacting vengeance upon humans, why do they not start with Faust, who lead the mock trials and is actually responsible for their deaths? Is is a condition of the resurrection spell?

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
During Rapunzel's death scene, Gretchen said something in line of Rapunzel wanting to protect her from becoming a vengeance enacting witch or something. Further, Rapunzel had difficulties staying human. So, it seems the resurrection does something bad to their minds. We don't know how it works though and there's a chance neither does the writers.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Ratoslov posted:

In terms of level theme, they could have made the level a confusing mish-mash of the backstories of Heinrich and Minukelsus, kind of like the Meat Circus from Psychonauts.

I would definitly invested in little Heinrich & Gretchen's crazy mystic summer camp adventures. But it require competent writers.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Someone in the thread has asked for this.

The Witch's Enclosure

Here's some colour.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Here's some colour.

Still a huge loving mess.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I like how Selenic actively discourages people right at the beginning from not just liking, but even watching his content. Which only encourages us to keep watching so we can see what he has to say about the train-wreck, and just how it all ends up playing out.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Every video for the last five or so, I've thought it was going to be the worst. So I'm not gonna say this is the worst, but man this is dire.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
This game even sorta rips off Blood in the Sand - sending your enemies to the Tiddy Zone to be beaten down.

Also, which move is most worthy of the title "The Heinrich Maneuver"?

I'm sorry.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Melaneus posted:

Also, which move is most worthy of the title "The Heinrich Maneuver"?

I'm sorry.
Next update.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So are you familiar with the idea of "liar's hit points"? Like, okay, you're seeing a radial health gauge which looks to be three-quarters gone in the red zone, but what relationship does that bear to the actual hit point numbers you have to wipe out to take down an enemy? Maybe magic seems so ineffective because when the hit point gauge reaches that point, you've only dealt 1/4 of their actual hit points so there's plenty of room for Heinrich to land finishers?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Glazius posted:

So are you familiar with the idea of "liar's hit points"? Like, okay, you're seeing a radial health gauge which looks to be three-quarters gone in the red zone, but what relationship does that bear to the actual hit point numbers you have to wipe out to take down an enemy? Maybe magic seems so ineffective because when the hit point gauge reaches that point, you've only dealt 1/4 of their actual hit points so there's plenty of room for Heinrich to land finishers?

I think a lot of it is that the armor on some enemies has its own health pool, and it's a lot larger than their actual health pool, and also doesn't show up on the radial bar. I think it's more just poor design and feedback to players, because once they're out of their armor, the health gauges appear to go down normally.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What do you call it when a level is recycled twice?

The Witch's Enclosure

Rapunzel's art may be bland, but the cheap in-game model still failed to do it justice.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Can we leave Gretchen behind now? Heinrich and Minukelsus are actually more enjoyable at this point!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I want more bosses that can be frozen and oneshot, thank you. Also, the appearance of the rare phrase "I want more of this combat."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Why does Heinrich have such a fancy scythe if it is literally the weakest thing in the game. The actual farm implement is probably a better weapon.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

What do you call it when a level is recycled twice?

Knights Contract?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm not sure if the scythe doing next to no damage on the boss is much of a distinction, cause honestly it feels like the scythe does next to no damage on everything. And yeah it's as I said before Minukelsus MvP

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

I just noticed that Minukelsis' plague doctor mask doesn't have lenses.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Maybe he lost them while he was finding random pages from the witches' Monster Manual.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I thought I was prepared for everything Knight's Contract has to offer. And it's had moments. Early on I didn't think it was that bad. Even since then, there have been times when it's merely off-beat. Then the part at the beginning of the latest offering arrived, where the portal to a one-enemy, one-collectible region. Then the portal back. To a loading screen. Followed by zooming in on the player's character/party. Followed immediately by another loading screen before you can even do anything. And then the fact that throwing enemies off a cliff has no drawbacks and is so much better than the actual, intended combat.

It's moments like these that give birth to phrases like "I can't even". I salute Selenic for playing this game. He's a better man than I.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I wonder how the game would play if you had Minkelsus and Gretchen comboing off one another?

Probably just as bad as it already does, now that I think about it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

When implementing a 'rain' spell, it's advisable to make sure there's an actual projectile coming from above, instead of it spawning directly on the ground.

The Witch's Enclosure

Here's a scale model.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Ah, Verderende, Witch of Time-Wasting.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think it helps if you read "Witch's Enclosure" as a dirty phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

okay it doesnt

• Locked thread