Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
If you haven't tried disc golf, it's addictive and cheap as a hobby to keep you in shape. Jogging is great too, just don't end up like zaurg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

moana posted:

If you haven't tried disc golf, it's addictive and cheap as a hobby to keep you in shape. Jogging is great too, just don't end up like zaurg.

Kick ball is surprisingly competitive too.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Eating out Expenses for March so far:

3/2/18: Chipotle 8.62
3/4/18: Mexican Food 4.50

That's it!

This isn't as hard as I thought it would be, but I know I'm just getting started. I still haven't abandoned my stupid plan to pay off all my debt in the next three months. I've set what I think are attainable writing goals that'll meet that and re-evaluate every weekend after the big Sunday trivia games and how much OT i've worked the previous week. There's certainly the chance that I'll burn out or won't be able to find writing work, but the challenge is a powerful motivator (and i want to go play caaaaaaaaaaaaaaards)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Why the gently caress would you get chipotle if you have another Mexican place available? Tsk tsk

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Stop playing daily fantasy sports.

You're not smart enough.

DFS is for 1) professionals, 2) wall street quants to "unwind" with a different flavor of spreadsheets or 3) insiders.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Stop playing daily fantasy sports.

You're not smart enough.

DFS is for 1) professionals, 2) wall street quants to "unwind" with a different flavor of spreadsheets or 3) insiders.

Okay, so, quick question -- If the money i'm spending on DFS were being spent on, i don't know, League of Legends or whatever, would that be better?

I love the whole process of researching lineups and looking at matchups and all that poo poo, and it's probably the hobby i have the most fun with. I know the perception (rightfully so) is that it's much more like putting lottery tickets in my budget, and even i know that sounds dumb as hell. I'm treating the money as gone as soon as I deposit it--I don't have any delusions that i can "beat the system"

My budget for trivia/dfs/all other types of gaming is $200/mo. If i were to completely quit DFS and spend $200 on computer games and magic cards, would that be better? (and if so, why) I guess my question is, is playing DFS bad because it's inherently a stupid thing to do no matter the amount, or is it just that i should be focusing every dollar on my debt and this is just seems to be the most egregious expense?

I appreciate everybody's patience in the thread so far and i know that i come across as a complete blockhead. thanks!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Spokes posted:

Okay, so, quick question -- If the money i'm spending on DFS were being spent on, i don't know, League of Legends or whatever, would that be better?

I love the whole process of researching lineups and looking at matchups and all that poo poo, and it's probably the hobby i have the most fun with. I know the perception (rightfully so) is that it's much more like putting lottery tickets in my budget, and even i know that sounds dumb as hell. I'm treating the money as gone as soon as I deposit it--I don't have any delusions that i can "beat the system"

My budget for trivia/dfs/all other types of gaming is $200/mo. If i were to completely quit DFS and spend $200 on computer games and magic cards, would that be better? (and if so, why) I guess my question is, is playing DFS bad because it's inherently a stupid thing to do no matter the amount, or is it just that i should be focusing every dollar on my debt and this is just seems to be the most egregious expense?

I appreciate everybody's patience in the thread so far and i know that i come across as a complete blockhead. thanks!

Even if you were playing a pretty cash intensive game like, I don't know, Hearthstone, I think you'd be hard pressed to spend more than $150 a quarter, which is $50 a month.

Our family's line item for all-in entertainment budget is like $75-100 a month.

This isn't a humblebrag but we earn almost 8x what you do in any given regular month and still manage to spend less on our entertainment.

If you were spending $25 a month on DFS and didn't have any debt that would be one thing, but instead you've got a bunch and your spending remains out of proportion to what you earn.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 8, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Also, looking at your actual budget that you posted of last month's spending on the very first page of this thread, your sum total of goony entertainment expenditures (gaming, DFS, WoW, Netflix, is $879.93).

EVERY CENT of this is DISCRETIONARY spending, pretending otherwise by putting some of the numbers above the line (you have a budget for wrestling, Patreon and World of Warcraft) and some of it BELOW the line does not change the fact that you actively chose to spend every dollar of that money while remaining indebted to a credit card company to the tune of twice your monthly paycheck.

So, change my numbers around to reflect that my family spent 1/8 of your entertainment budget and you earned 1/8 of our income.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
If you know you are not able to beat the system why are you playing with real money and not funbucks? I go hog wild on the SAS Eliminator site and have a bragging rights fantasy league during football season and it doesn't cost me a penny

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Doccykins posted:

If you know you are not able to beat the system why are you playing with real money and not funbucks? I go hog wild on the SAS Eliminator site and have a bragging rights fantasy league during football season and it doesn't cost me a penny

FOMO, mostly -- same reason zaurg won't sell his goddamn shitcoins

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Also, looking at your actual budget that you posted of last month's spending on the very first page of this thread, your sum total of goony entertainment expenditures (gaming, DFS, WoW, Netflix, is $879.93).

EVERY CENT of this is DISCRETIONARY spending, pretending otherwise by putting some of the numbers above the line (you have a budget for wrestling, Patreon and World of Warcraft) and some of it BELOW the line does not change the fact that you actively chose to spend every dollar of that money while remaining indebted to a credit card company to the tune of twice your monthly paycheck.

So, change my numbers around to reflect that my family spent 1/8 of your entertainment budget and you earned 1/8 of our income.

this is exactly what i was looking for as an answer, thank you

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Spokes posted:

FOMO, mostly -- same reason zaurg won't sell his goddamn shitcoins

So, gambling. You're not really writing off the money in your head, you're also justifying the spending by thinking there's a slight chance you'll do well. Lottery tickets.

Stop gambling.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

A little over a third into the month, here's where I am

(I took $40 out of gaming and put it toward the credit card because $200 is a stupid amount and $160 is at least slightly less stupid.)

Takeaways: I could buy more groceries and going out to lovely restaurants isn't worth it.

The good news (well, besides me sticking to a budget) is that the extra-money plan is going well and i'm working my rear end off. Work OT has been available and i've been very fortunate with trivia apps/freelance writing. I'm optimistic about being debt-free with enough money available for a vacation by June, but if I miss my target i'll stay home and pout while I think about how much better my situation is than it was in February

Thank you, everyone who has come into this topic to call me a dumbass so far and for everyone who will continue to do so.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Hey if you cut your gaming budget to $80 a month, you can afford to pay fully $800 toward your credit card, which is 60% better than you were hoping at the start of the thread!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

You spend a lot on TV and music. Is the patreon necessary? You can do the Spotify family plan and save a decent chunk of change. There's a thread in the goonmart. What is in the Hulu plan that needs 44 dollars a month spent?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Veskit posted:

You spend a lot on TV and music. Is the patreon necessary? You can do the Spotify family plan and save a decent chunk of change. There's a thread in the goonmart. What is in the Hulu plan that needs 44 dollars a month spent?

The Patreon is a friend's business he's trying to get off the ground, but $9 from me a month isn't going to break him. Reduced this to $1.

Made a post in the goonmart thread about Spotify, I had no idea about the family plan thing. Definitely doing this.

Hulu is the live subscription with no commercials, it's basically a complete cable/DVR replacement. Between me and the SO this gets probably 4 hours of use a day. I'm open to possibly replacing it but it's excellent.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

What would you miss by just having the 10 dollar plan and a friend or family cable password?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Veskit posted:

What would you miss by just having the 10 dollar plan and a friend or family cable password?

There's lots of stuff that isn't available on regular hulu that we want to DVR and it doesn't seem like there's a way to do that without having actual cable. Open to suggestions though

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

How much is your internet? If you bundle it wouldn't it be cheaper at this point?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Veskit posted:

How much is your internet? If you bundle it wouldn't it be cheaper at this point?

Internet is $40ish with spectrum, going to look at bundle options tomorrow. Not optimistic but it’s worth a shot

I’ve got that money mustache post from earlier in the thread about “your debt is an emergency!!1” saved as my home page and I re-read it every time I open chrome. I feel stupid knowing I should have panicked months ago and realize how lucky I am to be in a stable place now where I can rebuild before poo poo inevitably breaks. I’ve sold all my video game cosmetics and stuff (csgo skins mostly) and am looking at games/collectibles I have sitting around that I haven’t touched in years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
moustache is a smug smarmy autist but the fact that you have two months post tax income in consumer debt is concerning so it's good you are taking that piece of advice seriously

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I don't presume to know what the APR on your credit card is, but if we guess 18% you're losing $1,080 a year on interest payments which means about $90 a month.

IDEALLY you would carve this interest out of your LONG TERM desired spending as you pay down your credit card, so that it's not just "scrape together whatever I can this month."

Also it helps you realize that every dollar you spend on paying down your debt is going to compound at 18% a year, so paying $500 instead of $800 costs you an extra $54 in eventual interest payments.

That's enough for a whole, brand-new AAA release video game.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I don't presume to know what the APR on your credit card is, but if we guess 18% you're losing $1,080 a year on interest payments which means about $90 a month.

IDEALLY you would carve this interest out of your LONG TERM desired spending as you pay down your credit card, so that it's not just "scrape together whatever I can this month."

I don't understand exactly what you mean by this. I'm reading it like it's a bad thing that i'm planning to "overpay" my debt based on my budget, but i doubt that's the intended meaning. is it just that erratically pouring money into fixing this isn't long-term sustainable, as opposed to having a structured amount in mind every month?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Spokes posted:

I don't understand exactly what you mean by this. I'm reading it like it's a bad thing that i'm planning to "overpay" my debt based on my budget, but i doubt that's the intended meaning. is it just that erratically pouring money into fixing this isn't long-term sustainable, as opposed to having a structured amount in mind every month?

No, what I'm saying is that even if you want to budget $200 a month going forward for games and toys, that while you've got credit card debt you should ALSO apply the interest payments you need to make toward that debt out of your discretionary spending.

Pay down your credit card debt as fast as is humanly possible, including eating beans and rice for months to make it.

DesolateRampage
Feb 16, 2011

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Pay down your credit card debt as fast as is humanly possible, including eating beans and rice for months to make it.

First part of this is good advice, second portion I would disagree with and think advice like that is why this sub tends to lose people (or scare them off) frequently.

Yes having consumer debt is not good, and he absolutely needs to adjust what he's spending each month. He seems to be correcting that, and most of the advice here is pointed, critical, yet solid advice. However this is not a situation where he owes $90k on a Full-Sail academy loan and makes $26,000 a year. He can eat like a normal human being while developing cooking skills for pretty cheap overall. The rice and beans thing is almost always overkill when recommended.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
im pretty sure its a metaphor

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
IDK, I like beans and rice.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Yeah my meaningful contributions ended at "spend $50 or less a month on games and gambling." I think you can eat what you want, provided it's mostly purchased from a grocer and prepared by you.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

DesolateRampage posted:

First part of this is good advice, second portion I would disagree with and think advice like that is why this sub tends to lose people (or scare them off) frequently.

Yes having consumer debt is not good, and he absolutely needs to adjust what he's spending each month. He seems to be correcting that, and most of the advice here is pointed, critical, yet solid advice. However this is not a situation where he owes $90k on a Full-Sail academy loan and makes $26,000 a year. He can eat like a normal human being while developing cooking skills for pretty cheap overall. The rice and beans thing is almost always overkill when recommended.

Yeah, I largely took it to mean "hey, eat at home a lot". It's a trip going from the occasional snack at home to cooking at least every other day. I've started making excellent quesadillas, so that's exciting.

In previous months when i tried to budget i'd get 2-3 days behind when entering things into ynab and then it wouldn't match my bank account and i'd get frustrated and give up, but this month it's taking a lot less maintenance so i'm still on top of it. really excited to compare my end of month totals to last month. Not-spending money is a lot less painful than I thought it would be. I've started dreaming about early retirement now that i know it's not impossible to save 30%+ of my take-home (or in this case, put it toward credit cards because i was a dipshit in my late 20s).

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

gently caress it, you folks are (still) right about DFS and it doesn't matter how much more i earn if i can't kick the habits that got me here.

i'm playing the free march madness bracket thing on fanduel so i didn't self-exclude there; i will as soon as ncaa is over

I'm getting myself out of this hole even if it's miserable, and i'm sure it won't be nearly as bad as i think it will. I'll find a new hobby or just go to the gym more or something. thanks for all the effort so far, i'm still dreaming of being debt free with vacation money earned on top by June. i've been working like crazy!

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Nice work man. You were throwing money away on that stuff and having the extra cash flow is going to help big time.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Spokes posted:

gently caress it, you folks are (still) right about DFS and it doesn't matter how much more i earn if i can't kick the habits that got me here.

i'm playing the free march madness bracket thing on fanduel so i didn't self-exclude there; i will as soon as ncaa is over

I'm getting myself out of this hole even if it's miserable, and i'm sure it won't be nearly as bad as i think it will. I'll find a new hobby or just go to the gym more or something. thanks for all the effort so far, i'm still dreaming of being debt free with vacation money earned on top by June. i've been working like crazy!

Congrats, that's a very positive step.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Spokes posted:

Great work here, glad to see a very healthy approach.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Exceedingly good work!

WE ARE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU ON THIS.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I can't believe those assholes are still advertising in this situation.

Way to go though this is a super positive step forward!

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This thread is boring if you’re just gonna take advice and make positive steps that better your financial situation

(Great job btw, that’s a great positive step)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Higgy posted:

This thread is boring if you’re just gonna take advice and make positive steps that better your financial situation

(Great job btw, that’s a great positive step)

Yeah, it would make me very happy to wrap this up in 4 pages and take my garbage posting to the investment threads.

Thanks for the encouragement so far, everybody!

edit because i don't feel like bumping this without something interesting, later fanduel. thanks texas south

also i earned 19 cents in interest on my emergency fund. Ally Savings is an okay place to keep that, right? the concept is new to me!

Spokes fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 18, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

This is wild, y'all. I know the month isn't over and it's only the first month, but we are movin' on up!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Spokes posted:

This is wild, y'all. I know the month isn't over and it's only the first month, but we are movin' on up!

Those average month totals :stare: What an improvement!

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

Nice progress! Don’t get complacent because you had one good month in a row. It’s like going to gym everyday for a week. That’s great and it’s commendable but you need to repeat it every week to see the progress you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

lol it's just wild to me that you were doing $1,400 average a month in your entertainment category. That's like the best kind of problem to have - "oh I've got a low cost of living and a high salary but I blow all my money on totally discretionary purchases."

"So do less of that."

"Oh wow, that really helped!"

• Locked thread