Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That’s true, but TBF when you’re dealing with a gambling problem it’s not that simple.

I wish all my problems were spending too much on my hobbies, that would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Alright, March is coming to a close. This is my first time making a Sankey diagram/chart/whatever, so it's not pretty but it's a good visualization

Bad news first -- I did go over my eating out budget (by the price of half a dinner at a lovely sushi place we inexplicably decided to try). I have another 50 earmarked for a grocery trip to close out the month, won't be eating out again.

Everything else stayed under budget successfully, and I saved in quite a few areas (gaming poo poo, mostly).

I managed to go ~1200 less spending than regular income, which bodes well for future months when I can't expect to earn as much extra as I did this month.

And then the good news -- Between overtime at work, freelance writing, and trivia ("working" one way or another ~14 hours a day), I managed to earn nearly an extra $1600. I can't rely on this every month, but I used ~$400 of it to take care of things for the August trip so I don't have to worry about it in 3 months and poured the additional $1150 into CC Payoff . I still have car insurance, building a reasonable emergency fund, and some yearly subscriptions to handle in June before I can think about just taking a vacation where I'm going to blow some money for fun (plus the rest of my CC debt, ofc).

I miss DFS but I've been just playing free contests and it's not really much worse.

I'll get my up to date account totals figured out in the morning/afternoon, I'm up way too late (was writing, not F5ing crypto spreadsheets, I promise)

Re: Emergency Fund -- I'm still getting it off the ground but Ally Savings is a good place for that, right? Open to other suggestions.

e: "escape room" does not need to be its own discrete category, i know. breaking it out for now but i'll roll it into gaming stuff in a future month

Spokes fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 25, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
First, amazing progress and keep it up. I believe that you'll find that making strong healthy progress toward these goals will one day eclipse the high you get from sports betting.

Don't fret over missing the budget here and there. Budgeting is a practice that takes time and also you have to roll with the punches. Life comes at you and you don't always respond perfectly. As long as you are sticking to your plan for the most part you're going to come out looking great.

How do you make those sweet visuals. I love it and I have tons of data to play with.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Very nice progress! Now, it's just a question of making it repeatable ;)

tuna melt
Mar 28, 2010

TraderStav posted:

How do you make those sweet visuals. I love it and I have tons of data to play with.

Sankeymatic is good for this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

tuna melt posted:

Sankeymatic is good for this.

Ok, this is REALLY cool. Think I'm going to have fun with this. Want to have it auto-generate based on my YNAB extract. Think I'll throw in pre-tax contributions/withholdings too. Will make my monthly finance meetings with my wife go much better!

For content: this is my budget for January, so allocating lumpy expenses also. Don't pick it apart too much please...

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

TraderStav posted:

Ok, this is REALLY cool. Think I'm going to have fun with this. Want to have it auto-generate based on my YNAB extract. Think I'll throw in pre-tax contributions/withholdings too. Will make my monthly finance meetings with my wife go much better!

For content: this is my budget for January, so allocating lumpy expenses also. Don't pick it apart too much please...

Oh that bookmark is going straight into my 'debt strategies' folder, that's so cool.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Yeah, I did one for both the months of the year and then a 2017 final spend including tax withholdings and it all to get a full picture of where my money went. Pretty freaking great.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Missed the final question on HQ trivia tonight, so this topic almost had a very abrupt end. Win some, lose some. Back to the grind.

edit: for people who don’t spend their lives playing lovely trivia, the prize was $21k

Spokes fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 29, 2018

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Spokes posted:

Alright, March is coming to a close. This is my first time making a Sankey diagram/chart/whatever, so it's not pretty but it's a good visualization

TraderStav posted:

Bah, thanks for that, guys! I have seen Sankey's before, but I never thought to apply it to personal finance... A couple hours later, my budget & reconciliation macro has a section to output Sankey code. I tried using a Power BI Sankey visualization and it loving blows, but that site works pretty nicely. Why the gently caress does Power BI not have Sankey?!

Spokes posted:

Bad news first -- I did go over my eating out budget (by the price of half a dinner at a lovely sushi place we inexplicably decided to try). I have another 50 earmarked for a grocery trip to close out the month, won't be eating out again.

Everything else stayed under budget successfully, and I saved in quite a few areas (gaming poo poo, mostly).

I managed to go ~1200 less spending than regular income, which bodes well for future months when I can't expect to earn as much extra as I did this month.

And then the good news -- Between overtime at work, freelance writing, and trivia ("working" one way or another ~14 hours a day), I managed to earn nearly an extra $1600. I can't rely on this every month, but I used ~$400 of it to take care of things for the August trip so I don't have to worry about it in 3 months and poured the additional $1150 into CC Payoff . I still have car insurance, building a reasonable emergency fund, and some yearly subscriptions to handle in June before I can think about just taking a vacation where I'm going to blow some money for fun (plus the rest of my CC debt, ofc).

I miss DFS but I've been just playing free contests and it's not really much worse.

I'll get my up to date account totals figured out in the morning/afternoon, I'm up way too late (was writing, not F5ing crypto spreadsheets, I promise)

Re: Emergency Fund -- I'm still getting it off the ground but Ally Savings is a good place for that, right? Open to other suggestions.

e: "escape room" does not need to be its own discrete category, i know. breaking it out for now but i'll roll it into gaming stuff in a future month
Good progress man. April is right around the corner, you can do it again! I like how your extra income basically fully went to paying off extra debt - your trip planning basically fits in your normal budget. You're going to have a lot more money to invest, and spend, once you're done with the debt payoff, especially if you steer clear form buying horseboats.

*I* like tracking bigger recurring items (bills, discretionary, whatever), like your various game things. You may add another level of category for it, so you can see "Gaming Stuff" as a whole, and then the various items under it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
How often do you go out and do trivia anyway?

Veskit fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 29, 2018

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

Why the gently caress does Power BI not have Sankey?!

It does but it's not out of the box. You have to go find it in BI's little "visuals gallery" bullshit.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/visual-awesomeness-unlocked-sankey-diagram/

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Higgy posted:

It does but it's not out of the box. You have to go find it in BI's little "visuals gallery" bullshit.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/visual-awesomeness-unlocked-sankey-diagram/
I added this one on Monday and played around with it. I'm not very good with Power BI, but this visual is prettttty garbage... Is there a better one? It's the only one I could find.

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104380777

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

it's April Budget time!

This is what I'm looking to do. I spent a bit of extra money at the end of last month because I'm dumb and counted my chickens or whatever. Not going to convince myself I've stuck to my April budget until 12:01 on May 1.

Anyhow, going into April with a credit card balance of $1694.05, which I'll be able to cut in half this month assuming no additional income, and a little luck will get me back to zero. I hopped on a Spotify family, so that's paid for the next year. Anything particularly egregious in there, any tips, whatever?

Veskit posted:

How often do you go out and do trivia anyway?

Didn't go at all in March, used to go about twice a month. The rise of free mobile apps with prizes has been really good for both making extra money and not spending it to go out and scratch the trivia itch

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

If Spotify is something you intend to keep long-term, maybe budget the renewal fee over the course of the next 12 months so you have the money ready to go when the bill is due?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

IllegallySober posted:

If Spotify is something you intend to keep long-term, maybe budget the renewal fee over the course of the next 12 months so you have the money ready to go when the bill is due?

That's a good idea. Once i've got my credit card paid off i'm going to include the yearly stuff in the month-by-month. still need to tally everything up but i've been laser-focused on the debt right now.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Spokes posted:

That's a good idea. Once i've got my credit card paid off i'm going to include the yearly stuff in the month-by-month. still need to tally everything up but i've been laser-focused on the debt right now.

I hear you there, I've been doing the same thing- for the irregular bills though, it's really nice to have the money set aside to pay it in one shot and not have a nasty surprise :)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

IllegallySober posted:

I hear you there, I've been doing the same thing- for the irregular bills though, it's really nice to have the money set aside to pay it in one shot and not have a nasty surprise :)

I do this with some pretty small dumb annual renewals - the smallest one I budget monthly is my financier.io fee - $12 budgeted over 12 months lol. I guess I was really exuberant when I got started with the budgeting.

The HOA and the annual garbage tags make sense, though.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Op, how'd March end up?

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I do this with some pretty small dumb annual renewals - the smallest one I budget monthly is my financier.io fee - $12 budgeted over 12 months lol. I guess I was really exuberant when I got started with the budgeting.

The HOA and the annual garbage tags make sense, though.
I do this too - I don't have anything that's $12/yr, but I have a $35/yr. I just add all subscriptions (they're all annual, but that doesn't matter) together and divide by 12 and there you are. I have a table in my spreadsheet to handle these, they're all itemized out but have the same category so zooming in the pivot shows each item.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

SiGmA_X posted:

Op, how'd March end up?
I do this too - I don't have anything that's $12/yr, but I have a $35/yr. I just add all subscriptions (they're all annual, but that doesn't matter) together and divide by 12 and there you are. I have a table in my spreadsheet to handle these, they're all itemized out but have the same category so zooming in the pivot shows each item.

This is also what I do (Prime and Costco + monthly subscriptions). I also have a monthly line item for my motorcycle insurance, renter's insurance, etc. that's the yearly cost / 12.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Alright, for the first time since... 2013, I think, I have more money in my Checking account than balance on my Credit Card. I don't necessarily think I'll get to zero this month but I'll at least be able to pay off my balance due at the end of the month and stop paying interest. Continuing to plug away!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Spokes posted:

Alright, for the first time since... 2013, I think, I have more money in my Checking account than balance on my Credit Card. I don't necessarily think I'll get to zero this month but I'll at least be able to pay off my balance due at the end of the month and stop paying interest. Continuing to plug away!

Isn't this a great loving feeling?

Doesn't it feel awesome to not be paying a company hundreds of dollars a month for the privilege of continuing to use their money?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Spokes posted:

Serious congrats, dude :)

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

That’s awesome, great work. The trick is to have that every month and it feels great.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Spokes posted:

Good work dude, paying interest sucks and having sight of that 0.00 credit card balance with cash still in the bank is a great start to financial security :)

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
You're making fantastic progress. Whenever you feel like faltering, try remembering that credit card and how you are so drat close to controlling that thing and not letting it control you.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I miscalculated taxes from last year and thought I had enough withheld from my day job to cover trivia winnings, but I was about $1400 short, so that was a real kick in the pants (i've adjusted withholding for what I expect in 2018). Just filed that, so the chances of vegas have drastically gone down, especially since it seems like the trivia app bubble is bursting. More time for freelance writing, i suppose. We went to a baseball game with cheap tickets and didn't buy food inside, so it worked out to be much cheaper than expected. Budget is just fine for April so far. No news is good news! ("no, you had a $1400 expense you could have predicted if you weren't bad at math, that is not No News"). I know. I'm seeing where I can trim the budget this month and in subsequent ones. Not giving up on Vegas yet (Vegas means debt free with 2k in the emergency fund and $1k saved on top of that for the trip by June 1. I understand that that's not the 100% ideal path because my efund should be *much* higher but it's a goal i feel is attainable and if I get there i'll be briefly rewarding myself on my way to bulking the efund up to 9-12 months and then upping my 401k contribution). The most recent UFC card getting shuffled around ten times during fight week was a lot less stressful not having money on it!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Roll with the punches, my man.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

You’re doing great. A tax bill just means you got an interest free loan from a Uncle Sam. Try not to beat yourself up and I hope you nail your savings goal.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You’re doing great. A tax bill just means you got an interest free loan from a Uncle Sam. Try not to beat yourself up and I hope you nail your savings goal.
This. Keep plugging along, you've been making amazing progress!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

How much have you won from trivia that you were $1400 short on taxes? :captainpop:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

$42,069

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Jesus. I guess Ready Player One wasn't that far off after all, there is gold in them hills.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo. How does one get in on this?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Higgy posted:

Holy poo poo. How does one get in on this?

1) Duck.
2) Let the joke go over your head.

Should have done $69,420.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

1) Duck.
2) Let the joke go over your head.

:golfclap:

For real though how do you owe that much in taxes on trivia winnings? That’s some crazy prize money

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

In 2016-2017 about 15,000 total, mostly from a now-defunct site called Riddleverse and a go90 show called “The Runner”. This year has been equally crazy with the meteoric rise of HQ and copycat apps (The Rock is giving away 300k tomorrow!). I have a real legitimate game show appearance upcoming as well, but I have to be super tight-lipped on that until it airs and I haven’t mentioned it because a one-time windfall (if I win anything) isn’t going to mean much if I can’t stick to a budget.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Wow, you some trivia monster? Sorry if it's too rubbernecky but if you want I'd be curious about the gameshow experience once it has aired.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Well, it looks like the smartphone trivia app bubble is bursting, meaning things not looking so good about Vegas. That's okay, there's always more OT at work or writing. I'll see what I can do but I'm open to not going if that's what it takes.

I made 58 cents in interest on my nascent emergency fund this month, which is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Ritznit posted:

Wow, you some trivia monster? Sorry if it's too rubbernecky but if you want I'd be curious about the gameshow experience once it has aired.

Yeah, I'll post about it in here, if only in order to figure out how my budget changes if at all after winning a prize (or not). Should be in the next month or so

I don't really have anything interesting to post today (or this week). Spent a little too much eating out early in the month but still well within grocery and impulse food budget so it'll be almost completely making food at home over the back half of april, which is just fine. Just checking in and letting everyone know I didn't relapse into putting my life savings on the rockets to win the championship or whatever (though... +165 is a hell of a price). Thanks for reading, everyone! See you May 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Spokes posted:

Yeah, I'll post about it in here, if only in order to figure out how my budget changes if at all after winning a prize (or not). Should be in the next month or so

I mean, can you explain how you'd budget in your gambling winnings ahead of time? Like from a practical standpoint.

• Locked thread