Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Add me to the "wow exciting" pile. Would also love an Ask/Tell thread about the stuff you are allowed to talk about once it's aired!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Yeah, I'll answer anything in the thread here, and I'll look at making an A/T topic as long as I don't win enough for crackpots to want to hunt me down IRL or something.

And in more immediately relevant news: After another lucky run through trivia apps over the last week and the check from dog insurance showing up...

:dance: I'm debt free! :dance:

Made the final payment on my credit card today (bringing the account itself to zero) and have a healthy cushion in Checking so I don't have to go to the credit card before the next time I'm paid. The emergency fund (and separate account for annual expenses) is burgeoning and I'll be working to get that up to 9-12 months next.

It took a lot of discipline and a lot of work (but mostly a lot lot LOT of good fortune) to get here so quickly, and I'm not planning to increase my spending at all from its current point. Time to get the emergency fund to a good, healthy level, increase my 401k contribution further, and stay the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck away from fantasy sports. If I can just dump the money I've been underspending this year into savings, my situation is going to continue to get better fast. Hitting $0 net worth was an incredible relief, but I bet 10k is better and 100k is unreal.

Thank you all so much for pointing me in the right direction so often and telling me what I needed (and often didn't want) to hear. Now, to just not make another thread a year from now when my wife gets really into Wonderhangers...

I bumped up my withholding again at work so my takehome per month is probably going to be ~2600 or so for the rest of the year, but hopefully that'll lead to me not getting another nasty tax surprise next year. I'm under 2000 total spending per month now, so that shouldn't be a problem. I know there's probably concern that as soon as the trivia app windfall machine dries up I won't be able to make ends meet. If I can't easily meet my spending and saving goals I won't hesitate to come back here and ask for help--anything to not get way behind again.

Man. What a rush.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I don't think I've posted in this thread before, but I've been watching along. Congrats! Great work fixing stuff in an incredible amount of time (I suppose it helped to have a deadline, but not everyone would do it regardless).

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Super cool, dude. Congrats!

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
This is a cool thread and I had fun following along. The fact that you're already thinking about "what happens when trivia stops" makes me think you're gonna be fine.

How many goons have been inspired by Zaurg to fix their finances, maybe that was his true calling all along

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Spokes posted:

:dance: I'm debt free! :dance:

Congrats!!! Savor this feeling and remember everything about it. Then the next time you feel the temptation, just remember this moment. Well done and keep it up!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I'm dual-budgeting in YNAB and financier.io currently and plan to switch over before my annual payment is due, they seem pretty similar for my use cases.

Here's June's budget, open to input:

My current accounts as of June 1:
Checking: $900 (Currently $2200 but factoring in payment of the rest of May's purchases and rent on June 1, I'll get paid on June 5)
Credit card: $0 (holy poo poo, right?)
Ally Emergency Fund: $801.56
Ally Annual Purchases Savings*: $156.05
Bank of America Savings account: $439.71 (this is where the auto-transfers go, effectively a super-liquid tiny emergency fund since i can xfer right to checking if I need :10bux: immediately)

Projected income (after withholding increase) for the month is ~$2600.

*Annual purchases currently includes Dashlane, YNAB, Amazon Prime, Spotify, Car Registration/Smog, New Clothes, Christmas/Birthday Gifts, Dog Medical Deductible, and Car Insurance -- If I missed anything let me know!

"Gaming" is up to 150 from 100 because it includes the misc. vegas trip spending--hotel and tournament entry/cards are already paid for. I may need to pull from it to cover gas as well, depending on if I can split that. I've gotten back into Dance Dance Revolution to lose weight over the last couple weeks and I want to save up for a good pad to play on. (I see that category right next to Tokyo 2020, I know what you're thinking).

My primary goal is still to get a pretty big emergency fund going because my current work position still seems a bit tenuous (although I did just get a solid annual review, so I don't think I'm personally first on the chopping block).

As far as extra income going forward: without working as much overtime as I did over the last few months, I can really start looking at more efficient monetizing of my writing/programming/3D printing hobbies instead of pumping out lovely 500 word blog posts for blogmutt for $10 each to make ends meet (which i'm super grateful for). Sky's the limit!

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Congrats on being debt free

Do you think trivia winnings have replaced your DFS gambling urges? What happens when trivia slows down/stops?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

Do you think trivia winnings have replaced your DFS gambling urges? What happens when trivia slows down/stops?

Well, he’s doing this thing called actually planning for upcoming expenses, sticking with goals and not getting side tracked. So while no one should assume they’ll be perfect, I have a feeling the incentives he’s placing elsewhere (like goal of Tokyo 2020) is going to replace them.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

zaurg posted:

Nah, I don’t think so. I had never tried saving money before (that sounds very dumb but its true) and DFS isn’t nearly as good a feeling (and honestly, I’m a massive loser in it). I’ll probably play a very small bit with friends during the football season but it’ll come out of my already-allocated gaming budget. I’m planning to write more and try to get something serious published now that I’m not working so much; so I think I’ll be able to stay busy with that and other hobbies. Time will tell, though!

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
You have an Annual Payments category that covers a ton of stuff like mine cool

Do you think it would be better to separate that out into each category like BFC suggests, instead of lumping lots of expenses into one category? I get pissed on a lot for that, just curious of your view.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Good catch -- I do actually have them itemized in the budget itself, just didn't want to bore anyone by making the version i shared twice as long

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I don't see a line item for renter's insurance. It's cheap and you should get it if you don't already have it. You don't want to get back in debt because a fire/burglary forces you to put a bunch of stuff on credit cards again.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013

Inept posted:

I don't see a line item for renter's insurance. It's cheap and you should get it if you don't already have it. You don't want to get back in debt because a fire/burglary forces you to put a bunch of stuff on credit cards again.

Seconding here. I'm currently renting and renter's insurance is pocket change compared to the cost of the stuff that you have.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Inept posted:

It also covers stuff in your car that gets stolen or damaged and auto insurance won't cover that.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Renter's insurance is a scam.

Well all insurance is, but especially that one.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

This is a bad and wrong take.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

zaurg posted:

Higgy posted:

This is a bad and wrong take.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

zaurg posted:

You're an idiot. Don't post.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

see, now i'm on the fence... lots of people saying something is good, zaurg saying it's bad... what am I to do?

just kidding, i'll look into getting renters insurance asap

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

see, now i'm on the fence... lots of people saying something is good, zaurg saying it's bad... what am I to do?

This a good and correct take.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

ego symphonic posted:

You're an idiot. Don't post.

My posting has been a lot more effective in this thread than yours. :smug: Maybe try helping the OP instead of shitposting.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Get the gently caress out of here Zaurg you stupid loving clownbaby.

Stick to your thread and don't post in the rest of BFC you're literally the poster child for making stupid financial decisions despite the best advice in the forums pounding down on you like a hail made of gold nuggets.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Stick to your thread and don't post in the rest of BFC you're literally the poster child for making stupid financial decisions despite the best advice in the forums pounding down on you like a hail made of gold nuggets.

This needs to be re quoted.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Spokes posted:

:smug:

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

gently caress off zaurg

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
OP:
1) great work on getting back to debt free and a little paid ahead, A+!
2) I'm surprised your landlord doesn't require renters insurance! Its really inexpensive, and while yes, all insurance is a waste of money (til you need it!!), its very affordable and it insures you from ~poo poo happening~ because as you know, poo poo happens.
3) You may want to bucket your annual misc expenses like you are for your monthly, so you can see required (car reg) vs elective. Just an idea. Its pretty obvious they fit into your budget as is though, so maybe that's overkill.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

quote:

My posting has been a lot more effective in this thread than yours. :smug: Maybe try helping the OP instead of shitposting.
:wellpiss::wellpiss::wellpiss:

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 22, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

SiGmA_X posted:

3) You may want to bucket your annual misc expenses like you are for your monthly, so you can see required (car reg) vs elective. Just an idea. Its pretty obvious they fit into your budget as is though, so maybe that's overkill.

Do you mean like this? I posted it separately and it was when i was talking to zaurg so i understand if you skimmed past. If not, i'm definitely interested in hearing what you meant because i didn't understand it

Spokes posted:

Good catch -- I do actually have them itemized in the budget itself, just didn't want to bore anyone by making the version i shared twice as long

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Spokes posted:

Do you mean like this? I posted it separately and it was when i was talking to zaurg so i understand if you skimmed past. If not, i'm definitely interested in hearing what you meant because i didn't understand it
Mostly just moving a few of the items around to line up by type with this budget item list you made: There are MANY ways to skin the budget cat.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Hey folks -- Still doing alright, Millionaire is on tomorrow, looking forward to no CC payment on my budget for june and just shoveling piles of money into my savings account like an old-timey railroad train furnace room. I'll post a May retrospective on June 1 so I don't try to sweep anything under the rug at the end of the month as i am often wont to do

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Spokes posted:

Hey folks -- Still doing alright, Millionaire is on tomorrow, looking forward to no CC payment on my budget for june and just shoveling piles of money into my savings account like an old-timey railroad train furnace room. I'll post a May retrospective on June 1 so I don't try to sweep anything under the rug at the end of the month as i am often wont to do

Is this on GSN? What is your first name

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Droo posted:

Is this on GSN? What is your first name

ABC most places, i think -- some FOX affiliates, maybe? You can find the local listing here: https://millionairetv.dadt.com/ . It's on at literally 1 am some places, so I'll post a link in here when i get one. Name's John, I should be the only one on the episode today unless they do some weird cut or something.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

We could torture Jeopardy fans by making them watch this show in real time. Congrats on the cash

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Droo posted:

We could torture Jeopardy fans by making them watch this show in real time. Congrats on the cash

What'd he win?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If you find a video link post it. I tried to record it but apparently I don’t get the channel (it the DVR hosed up).

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

TraderStav posted:

What'd he win?

Here’s the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6E7D8DzaVM

just about enough to get my emergency fund finished

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Spokes posted:

Here’s the link:

Congrats! It's always fun to have some rooting interest for people on game shows. Unsurprisingly, given where we're posting, I had basically the same game as you, with the same easy/hard questions (although that's easy for me to say sitting here on my computer instead of on stage).

Good work putting in the work to prep for this. Even though it's not a life changing amount of money by any means, that'll be a nice boost.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Spokes posted:

Here’s the link:

Thanks for the link, I shall watch later. It'll be the first time I've watched WWBM since the early 00s!

Congrats, and as we keep telling you, good work getting the ~paying attention to monies~ under control. Zaurg could learn buckets from you! (Instead, he gets buckets of goon supplied golden showers)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Congrats!!! I can’t believe they make you stand the whole fine, jeez. I imagine it makes focusing pretty hard!

• Locked thread