Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

turing_test posted:

Congrats!!! I can’t believe they make you stand the whole fine, jeez. I imagine it makes focusing pretty hard!
You don't stand for a few hours a day? What type of cave do you work at?! (I thought sit/stand stations were just the norm in Corporate America... poo poo, I also have one at home.)

I find it easier to stand unless I'm exhausted or bored as poo poo, and then I am more prone to sit or wander off to a conference room and not get anything done...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

SiGmA_X posted:

You don't stand for a few hours a day? What type of cave do you work at?! (I thought sit/stand stations were just the norm in Corporate America... poo poo, I also have one at home.)

I find it easier to stand unless I'm exhausted or bored as poo poo, and then I am more prone to sit or wander off to a conference room and not get anything done...

I do have a sit / stand desk but I prefer to sit down when I have to focus on something. Maybe I'm just bad at standing.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
This thread has the weirdest loving derails

Thanks for the kind words, everybody (and thanks for helping me get in financial shape through this thread so i'm not poo poo at saving the money). Onward to June!

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
How many shitcoins are you gonna buy with those winnings???

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

This thread has the weirdest loving derails

Thanks for the kind words, everybody (and thanks for helping me get in financial shape through this thread so i'm not poo poo at saving the money). Onward to June!

Just watched through the highlights on the show, nice job sir!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
AHHHHH just watched it, you played it perfectly imo. So calm under pressure, too - major major props, I can't imagine the pressure that you must have been under. Super congrats!!!

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
That was a cool and fun watch, you did really well. Congrats!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Just watched that too and well played!!! Congrats!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
How much did he win?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Walked away with 30k since the 50k question was some bullshit about Victoria's Secret models

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The YouTube link had it if you can watch it, but he walked away at winning $30k. I'm curious about the withholding on that. I assume like bonuses, they automatically withhold at >25%.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

SpelledBackwards posted:

The YouTube link had it if you can watch it, but he walked away at winning $30k. I'm curious about the withholding on that. I assume like bonuses, they automatically withhold at >25%.
I doubt it, its a business paying a contractor. 1099. But I'd assume he'll owe 22-24%+15.3%+state if any.

And you mean 22%, thanks deferring reality I mean TCJA.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 3, 2018

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

SiGmA_X posted:

I doubt it, its a business paying a contractor. 1099. But I'd assume he'll owe 22-24%+15.3%+state if any.

And you mean 22%, thanks deferring reality I mean TCJA.

I don't think you pay FICA tax on lottery/game show type stuff.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Droo posted:

I don't think you pay FICA tax on lottery/game show type stuff.
You're right, my bad, it's just ordinary income. And they are subject for withholding - I think at the bonus tax level but I'm not digging around the IRC further.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Yeah, I believe it's just subject to the regular income tax on that money -- i don't think any withholding was done, though. I also traveled out of state to tape the show, so that'll be some work to figure out. (Thanks again for the all the encouragement on millionaire, everybody! I worked my rear end off to study and make it on and I'm really fortunate it went as well as it did.)

Anyway, I looked at the June budget I posted earlier and realized that a lot of the numbers aren't realistic since I'm going to be on vacation for a week and if I don't realistically budget for fun spending and food i'm going to blow right past my amounts and then not care about logging anything. So I've bumped up impulse food and gaming, just for this month. I did get renters insurance, and bundling it with auto only raises the total amount I pay annually by ~$40. I hope nobody minds me bumping this topic even though it's not a giant flaming wreck of entirely bad habits anymore. Here's my June budget:

pre:
Auto-spending amounts

Rent/Utilities	$950.00
Dog Needs	$50.00
Auto-savings	$30.00

Saving amounts and goals

Emergency Fund	$325.00
Ann. Payments*	$162.00
New Bed/Couch	$50.00
Tokyo 2020	$125.00
Good DDR Pad	$50.00

Elective spending

Groceries	$175.00
Hulu Cable	$44.00
Transportation	$40.00
Impulse Food	$200.00
Gaming/Trip	$300.00
date night	$40.00
Gym Fees	$10.00
Netflix Monthly	$8.00
Patreon Subs	$5.00
Charitable	$35.00

*Annual Payments -- Dashlane, Amazon Prime, Financier.io, Spotify, Car reg+smog, New Clothes, Holiday/Birthday Gifts, Dog Medical Deductible, Car/Renters Insurance
Total Budget -- $2,599.00
This is my first time using the pre tag to get everything to line up, so if it makes everything look lovely or isn't allowed or anything just let me know and I'll fix it. I've done the July budget as well so I can see the savings amounts go back up after my trip but I'll save you all the monotony of posting it here (for now!). I'm not satisfied with the amount I'm contributing to my e-fund this month, so I'm going to see if I can get OT at work and put it directly into there.

Also, speaking of money! HQ trivia is doing a promotion for the NBA finals where they offer a game worth $100k for game 1, $200k for game 2, etc etc. If playing free trivia for money intrigues you, this is a hell of a time to start playing. I won't shill my referral code because you probably have a real, not goon friend that plays (ask on facebook!).

Regardless, thanks for reading another kaczynski-esque screed as i vomit my financial thoughts onto this dead gay forum.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Disliked. The hero's voyage should be achieved by overcoming multiple obstacles, as he engages in a journey of self-discovery and realising what it truly important to him. Cornholio is a good example.

This was too easy, no sense of character development. I was not invested in his redemption. I suggest an unplanned pregnancy or a emerging drug habit in the upcoming reveals.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

John Smith posted:

Disliked. The hero's voyage should be achieved by overcoming multiple obstacles, as he engages in a journey of self-discovery and realising what it truly important to him. Cornholio is a good example.

This was too easy, no sense of character development. I was not invested in his redemption. I suggest an unplanned pregnancy or a emerging drug habit in the upcoming reveals.

But John, isn't it nice when things just... work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl2U1p3fVRk

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

But John, isn't it nice when things just... work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl2U1p3fVRk
Lol, that was pretty amazing. Never saw it before. Hope it was real, instead of CGI.

But the narrative just doesn't fit. For the anti-hero / outright villain to turn to the Light so quickly within 6 pages?!? It just comes out as lazy writing.

There needs to be a reveal where it turns out that he way overspent and these are all lies to cover it up. Cornholio and Zaurg had multiple episodes of those, they were great!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

John Smith posted:

Lol, that was pretty amazing. Never saw it before. Hope it was real, instead of CGI.

Off memory there was a cut halfway but that’s it. I’m glad others still remember that video, it’s the first thing I thought of when I read the quote.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Of course nobody understands the reference but very often in my line of work I ask my trainees who have prepared for and executed a plan successfully because of preparation and meticulous practice, "isn't it nice when things just work?"

I use it almost as often as I remind them that "when you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edCqF_NtpOQ

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Of course nobody understands the reference but very often in my line of work I ask my trainees who have prepared for and executed a plan successfully because of preparation and meticulous practice, "isn't it nice when things just work?"

I use it almost as often as I remind them that "when you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edCqF_NtpOQ

Without even watching it, it was the ellipsis/pause before 'work' that made it instantly spring back in my mind and I haven't seen it in near on a decade I'd guess.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Nam Taf posted:

Without even watching it, it was the ellipsis/pause before 'work' that made it instantly spring back in my mind and I haven't seen it in near on a decade I'd guess.

The people I'm giving this line to are now like 25 at oldest so they were 10 when this commercial came out. Sad!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I still don't believe the tires going up the goddamn ramp are real.

(i mean, the rational part of me does and i've read way too many articles about it at this point but just look at it!)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Spokes posted:

(i mean, the rational part of me does and i've read way too many articles about it at this point but just look at it!)

They’re weighted with a weight at top centre. Knock them and the weight is enough to pull them up a ramp. Look at how they oscillate as the weight settles at the bottom and picture a slab of metal strapped inside.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spokes posted:

So... you gonna man up and do the right thing here? That drug habit isn't going to pick itself up.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
His habit is gamboling and hopefully, sports betting becomes legal nationwide so we can have lots of I can't believe my team lost to the Browns now I can't pay my rent threads. How can I make $1,500 in a day.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Two weeks out of debt and my finances are already slowly being swallowed up by the sticky purple lifestyle creep. I've blown through a third of my (increased) June impulse food budget and it's only the 7th. Posting to keep myself accountable and stop spending money like a dipshit. GF's car has been in the shop so I've been doing all the driving, leading me to just pop into mcdonalds or wherever as I pass by. Hopefully I can quickly turn this around. Just letting anyone reading this thread know that it's still difficult once you're out of debt! kind of like losing weight, i guess, though I wouldn't know anything about that.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Pack meals or snacks if you're going to be out for a while. Whenever I'm out for a couple of hours I at least pack a water bottle so I don't waste a couple of bucks and 5 minutes in a drive thru getting a drink.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Spokes posted:

Two weeks out of debt and my finances are already slowly being swallowed up by the sticky purple lifestyle creep. I've blown through a third of my (increased) June impulse food budget and it's only the 7th. Posting to keep myself accountable and stop spending money like a dipshit.
Stop spending money like a dipshit, also start eating delicious healthy snacks instead of McDs and you'll lose some goddamn weight and stop lining your arteries. My dad died of a heart attack at age 45, don't gently caress yourself over like he did. What's your worst impulse place? McDs? Cut it out completely. Whatever the worst/most common place is, just make it a hard and fast rule you can't go there. Instead, bag up some baby carrots or keep an apple/banana/orange in the car with you at all times for snack emergencies.
Also, if you do buy fast food, make it a rule you have to get out and do like ten burpees before eating. That alone will be enough to stop the small cravings from getting at you.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
OP, the post below is filled with bad advice. You're a game show winner. You deserve some delicious greasy food and you can afford it with your big $$winnings$$. Just budget properly for it. Remember, you're going to need to properly fuel your body for those burpees.

moana posted:

Stop spending money like a dipshit, also start eating delicious healthy snacks instead of McDs and you'll lose some goddamn weight and stop lining your arteries. My dad died of a heart attack at age 45, don't gently caress yourself over like he did. What's your worst impulse place? McDs? Cut it out completely. Whatever the worst/most common place is, just make it a hard and fast rule you can't go there. Instead, bag up some baby carrots or keep an apple/banana/orange in the car with you at all times for snack emergencies.
Also, if you do buy fast food, make it a rule you have to get out and do like ten burpees before eating. That alone will be enough to stop the small cravings from getting at you.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

OP, the post below is filled with bad advice. You're a game show winner. You deserve some delicious greasy food and you can afford it with your big $$winnings$$. Just budget properly for it. Remember, you're going to need to properly fuel your body for those burpees.

gently caress off zaurg and go drink your own thread full of piss that you abandoned

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

don't be a dick, zarg

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

zaurg posted:

OP, the post below is filled with bad advice. You're a game show winner. You deserve some delicious greasy food and you can afford it with your big $$winnings$$.

This kind of thought process right here is why the majority of people who have big windfalls (especially game show/lottery winners) end up WORSE off financially afterwards.

Hopefully you had a plan for your winnings (e.g. 50% pay off debt, 35% retirement, 10% e-fund/savings, 5% fun). If not, make a plan for whatever is left and then action it straight away! Whatever splurging you've already done comes out of the fun portion.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spokes posted:

Two weeks out of debt and my finances are already slowly being swallowed up by the sticky purple lifestyle creep. I've blown through a third of my (increased) June impulse food budget and it's only the 7th. Posting to keep myself accountable and stop spending money like a dipshit. GF's car has been in the shop so I've been doing all the driving, leading me to just pop into mcdonalds or wherever as I pass by. Hopefully I can quickly turn this around. Just letting anyone reading this thread know that it's still difficult once you're out of debt! kind of like losing weight, i guess, though I wouldn't know anything about that.
I sense some exciting episodes coming up!!! This could be the start of a long slide down...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

gently caress off.

John Smith posted:

I sense some exciting episodes coming up!!! This could be the start of a long slide down...

Also gently caress off.

Spokes, you made good progress, be proud of it, there’s always a backslide, what’s key is tempering it now. I think you can do it.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Leng posted:

This kind of thought process right here is why the majority of people who have big windfalls (especially game show/lottery winners) end up WORSE off financially afterwards.

Hopefully you had a plan for your winnings (e.g. 50% pay off debt, 35% retirement, 10% e-fund/savings, 5% fun). If not, make a plan for whatever is left and then action it straight away! Whatever splurging you've already done comes out of the fun portion.

yeah, after taxes it's probably going to be about 99% e-fund, which should get that secured and good to go, then I can start dumping surplus money in actual investments (1% fun, which is basically my trip later this month). I taped a year ago, so I've thought about the different things i might want to buy for fun but waiting has gotten me to talk myself out of them. (eg i don't need a new computer, this one works fine and it's not like there's new games i actually want to play).

Also I have to imagine the bfc regs rolling their eyes every time this topic gets bumped and then reading it to see it's a zaurg or JS post. double whammy!

Days without buying fast food: One!

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok, but honest truth is I am genuinely a bit disappointed. It is not that I wish ill for you, but I was just getting emotionally attached to the story and then you just fix it with your windfall from out of nowhere.

It is a bit like WTF :aaa: I consider Cornholio as the ideal BFC story. He achieved happiness while the journey itself was both entertaining for the audience and enlightening / enriching for Cornholio. Still, I shall try to wish you well I guess.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I still think you should do a recreational activity :colbert:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Spokes posted:

Days without buying fast food: One!
Pretend you can hear me behind you cheering "yaaaaaay Spokes, you're so awesome!"

And yeah, activity. Disc golf. Where in SoCal are you? There's gotta be a course nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Spokes someone gave me a disc golf set years ago and I never played. I'd give you the set if you want. I think it's still in my closet.

But you should do couch to 5k.

• Locked thread