Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BloodBag posted:

How do you spend $43.99 on Hulu? Mine's $12.84 and the only option I have turned on is no commercials.

I would assume he’s paying for their version of Sling.

https://www.hulu.com/live-tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

Good morning, BFC

Figured I'd update the thread while I had some downtime at work (because i'm working, on a Saturday, because i was irresponsible with credit cards. )

Anyhow, here's where I stand currently:

Things... aren't dire? I'll be able to pay off my entire CC balance at the end of this month and then start socking away the $600-800+ per month i'm underspending vs my salary. I could cry.

I can't believe what a lovely situation I got myself into and how fortunate I was to turn it around (which I'm still in the process of; i'm certainly not jumping to the conclusion that I'm completely fine right now). I've read enough Zaurg threads to know that there's always the risk of running straight back into the red, especially for people who are historically lovely with money.

I'll continue to post updates, especially when i need advice or need to be talked out of a dipshit decision, but things are a hell of a lot better than they were in february. spending less money (and especially, not gambling) hasn't been nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I can't thank you all enough.

Nice! Keep it up!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

Congrats on being debt free

Do you think trivia winnings have replaced your DFS gambling urges? What happens when trivia slows down/stops?

Well, he’s doing this thing called actually planning for upcoming expenses, sticking with goals and not getting side tracked. So while no one should assume they’ll be perfect, I have a feeling the incentives he’s placing elsewhere (like goal of Tokyo 2020) is going to replace them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Get the gently caress out of here Zaurg you stupid loving clownbaby.

Stick to your thread and don't post in the rest of BFC you're literally the poster child for making stupid financial decisions despite the best advice in the forums pounding down on you like a hail made of gold nuggets.

This needs to be re quoted.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If you find a video link post it. I tried to record it but apparently I don’t get the channel (it the DVR hosed up).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

This thread has the weirdest loving derails

Thanks for the kind words, everybody (and thanks for helping me get in financial shape through this thread so i'm not poo poo at saving the money). Onward to June!

Just watched through the highlights on the show, nice job sir!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

OP, the post below is filled with bad advice. You're a game show winner. You deserve some delicious greasy food and you can afford it with your big $$winnings$$. Just budget properly for it. Remember, you're going to need to properly fuel your body for those burpees.

gently caress off.

John Smith posted:

I sense some exciting episodes coming up!!! This could be the start of a long slide down...

Also gently caress off.

Spokes, you made good progress, be proud of it, there’s always a backslide, what’s key is tempering it now. I think you can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

Thanks for the tip on Roth IRA. I opened one up with Vanguard today and put in $1000, I’ll top it off for the year once I get the Milli check. Need to sit down and figure out what a likely timeline for retirement is and then I’ll choose an appropriate target date fund.

Someone else could confirm this, but you have enough going in between this year and next year where you could consider some of their higher funds. The 500 Index is a 0.04 cost , it just requires $10k to buy.

Not sure if it’s good advice to do a fund like that over the retirement one, or whether it’s me posting because I’ve always wanted to be in the scenario to get a fund like that.

• Locked thread