Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It looks like your biggest problem is justifying the "just this once!" expenses. You say your big MtG purchase was reasonable because you won't have to spend anymore for a while, but you're also going to spend $1,000 on a MtG vacation.

And I know how that game works - when the next set rotates in you're going to be dropping another couple hundred bucks, no doubt.

"Willing to sacrifice" is meaningless and worthless. You need to actually make the sacrifice if you want your expenses to be lower than your income. Your budget doesn't even remotely match your actual expenses because your budget doesn't include the Just This Once expenses that seem to be perpetual.

You are in Debt. You owe more money than you have, and it's getting worse and not better.

Your debt is an emergency - https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/04/18/news-flash-your-debt-is-an-emergency/

You also likely have some addiction problems with the fantasy gambling (and MtG probably preys on that a bit too... who doesn't like the thrill of peeling a pack open and seeing that Jace the Mind Sculptor!!!) but I am not qualified to comment on that. You might consider seeking help if your debt is a result of (and will keep worsening due to) your gambling habits you can't quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Your monthly budget of $2,800 doesn't account for the two upcoming vacations and your annual auto insurance, which (all combined and annualized) increase your monthly expenses by $250.

Your expenses are $3,050 and your income is $2,900, so

Spokes posted:

"if i can stick to my budget

it looks like you can't!

Spokes posted:

I am a week into actual hardcore budgeting and this is all new to me.

Doing hardcore budgeting is the same as sitting on a stationary bike and programming in an intense workout. Don't think you've accomplished anything until you're actually pedaling.

I know your plan is to work extra to make up for it, but that's not really how budgets work, and any unexpected money really should going toward your Debt Emergency.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Spokes posted:

Alright, this is not what I wanted to hear, but you're right. okay. if I can wipe out *all* my debt by June 1, I'll go, if I can't, I'll stay home. I think I can make enough extra money to do it, and I know that sounds ludicrously overconfident and stupid, but is that reasonable enough to shoot for?

Dude, it's an awesome and good goal to shoot for! "Make enough money to wipe out debt, pay for a vacation, and book that vacation" is a good goal.

My only concern is that you'd pay off the debt and reward yourself with new debt from the vacation.

You don't have to play a sport if you don't want to. That guy is being weird.

• Locked thread