Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Spokes posted:

gently caress it, you folks are (still) right about DFS and it doesn't matter how much more i earn if i can't kick the habits that got me here.

i'm playing the free march madness bracket thing on fanduel so i didn't self-exclude there; i will as soon as ncaa is over

I'm getting myself out of this hole even if it's miserable, and i'm sure it won't be nearly as bad as i think it will. I'll find a new hobby or just go to the gym more or something. thanks for all the effort so far, i'm still dreaming of being debt free with vacation money earned on top by June. i've been working like crazy!

Congrats, that's a very positive step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Spokes posted:

This is wild, y'all. I know the month isn't over and it's only the first month, but we are movin' on up!

Those average month totals :stare: What an improvement!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Very nice progress! Now, it's just a question of making it repeatable ;)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

If Spotify is something you intend to keep long-term, maybe budget the renewal fee over the course of the next 12 months so you have the money ready to go when the bill is due?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Spokes posted:

That's a good idea. Once i've got my credit card paid off i'm going to include the yearly stuff in the month-by-month. still need to tally everything up but i've been laser-focused on the debt right now.

I hear you there, I've been doing the same thing- for the irregular bills though, it's really nice to have the money set aside to pay it in one shot and not have a nasty surprise :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Spokes posted:

Alright, for the first time since... 2013, I think, I have more money in my Checking account than balance on my Credit Card. I don't necessarily think I'll get to zero this month but I'll at least be able to pay off my balance due at the end of the month and stop paying interest. Continuing to plug away!

Serious congrats, dude :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

moana posted:

So like, have you already taped it and just can't tell us how you did, it is it like a live recording? If there's a place to watch online, link it when it's up!

Yeah, this. That's awesome!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Spokes posted:

Yeah, that's exactly it. It's been under NDA for the last year (I taped in July). That's part of why I fought so hard to get my spending under control; I didn't want whatever was left after taxes (if I won anything) to just go to debt and bullshit, I want this to be the turning point of my financial life and get started toward a healthy retirement fund. I'll post a link when it's available!

So hypothetically if you win money, do they not pay you until after the show airs and they make sure you didn't break the NDA?

Edit: this might make a good Ask/Tell thread if you hadn't already considered it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Super cool, dude. Congrats!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

zaurg posted:

Renter's insurance is a scam.

Well all insurance is, but especially that one.

Higgy posted:

This is a bad and wrong take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Congrats!

• Locked thread