Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I suspect a chunk of Spokes’ issues is identifying categories he needs to budget for. Had he identified these categories, he’d have a stockpile and exceeding wouldn’t be an issue. Basically, he’s budgeting against only part of his expenses and that throws all of his estimates out.

Spokes, as a thought exercise, what other things in your life generate random, infrequent expenses? I mean some of this thing’s are absorbed by an emergency fund, but a pet needing medical care is not an ‘emergency’ because it happens eventually. Additionally, breaking out ‘pet food’ from ‘groceries’ helps understand whether it’s you or your 17 cats that are eating all the food.

Have a go at identifying these things and then intelligently going through them and letting us know where you plan to categorise them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Thing is, if you get all those irregular expenses covered and balance an emergency fund sufficiently, getting out of debt is literally just waiting on it to happen. It may not happen as fast as you hope, but it wouldn’t happen that fast anyway when you have to take on unexpected expenses and end up throwing them on your CC.

If you get them all right, you know more accurately where you can cut out any extra fat to move the dial towards getting out of debt faster.

If you need help, lay out a description of each expense (don’t bother with expenses if you worry about being judged - we can handle budget limits later) that you’ve recorded since you’ve tracked them, and we can help identify which categories should be appropriate.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

John Smith posted:

Lol, that was pretty amazing. Never saw it before. Hope it was real, instead of CGI.

Off memory there was a cut halfway but that’s it. I’m glad others still remember that video, it’s the first thing I thought of when I read the quote.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Of course nobody understands the reference but very often in my line of work I ask my trainees who have prepared for and executed a plan successfully because of preparation and meticulous practice, "isn't it nice when things just work?"

I use it almost as often as I remind them that "when you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edCqF_NtpOQ

Without even watching it, it was the ellipsis/pause before 'work' that made it instantly spring back in my mind and I haven't seen it in near on a decade I'd guess.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Spokes posted:

I still don't believe the tires going up the goddamn ramp are real.

(i mean, the rational part of me does and i've read way too many articles about it at this point but just look at it!)

They’re weighted with a weight at top centre. Knock them and the weight is enough to pull them up a ramp. Look at how they oscillate as the weight settles at the bottom and picture a slab of metal strapped inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Congratulations on the progress and particularly on developing sound financial habits. Consider dropping by one of the more general threads with periodic updates to keep yourself honest so that you don't start slipping on e.g. fast food.

• Locked thread