Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Spokes posted:

Who has two thumbs and isn't paying any credit card interest this month? This guy!

You said you still have to pay down your balance but aren't paying interest. Does this mean you only have the statement balance outstanding? Do you plan to pay that off by the due date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Spokes posted:

Yeah, my statement ended on 4/5 (or so) with a due date of 5/2. I paid on 4/20 everything i owed when that statement closed, meaning my entire credit card balance as of 4/5. My purchases between april 5 and now, as well as the money i owe for taxes filed in that window, are on the statement that closes on 5/5, with a due date of 6/2. I am optimistic that I'll be able to pay my *entire*, current, balance on or before 6/2.

It is entirely possible that i'm misunderstanding this because i haven't paid a balance completely off in years, but i'm pretty sure i'm avoiding interest this month. Please tell me if i'm doing something wrong because it is very, very possible.

You have to get back into the grace period for that to occur. So you probably will have some interest calculated for the next statement; assuming that you didn't pay the statement balance in full on 4/2; if you did then this should be the first interest free cycle. In either case that's great work!

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Inept posted:

I don't see a line item for renter's insurance. It's cheap and you should get it if you don't already have it. You don't want to get back in debt because a fire/burglary forces you to put a bunch of stuff on credit cards again.

It also covers stuff in your car that gets stolen or damaged and auto insurance won't cover that.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

You may consider dropping $5,500 into your Roth IRA immediately if you're not planning to max it out anyway. You can always pull contributions out if you need to, but otherwise you've got a bit more into retirement. That said, efund expansion ftw!
Sounds reasonable.

Yeah, Roth IRAs are really nice for this. Contributions can always be pulled out tax free; and you can even pull out investment gains on contributions made within the same tax year. You also can contribute to the previous year until tax filing is due; so you get an extra 4 months to catch up if you had a bad year prior. I personally really like Fidelity's Roth IRA set up. Free to set up and they have some really good ETFs and mutual funds to invest in.

The huge bonus is that the dividends and capital gains grow tax free as well and if you draw down in retirement there are no taxes paid on any of it (except the taxes paid on the money you contributed initially ofc). All in all Roths are really awesome.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Someone else could confirm this, but you have enough going in between this year and next year where you could consider some of their higher funds. The 500 Index is a 0.04 cost , it just requires $10k to buy.

Not sure if it’s good advice to do a fund like that over the retirement one, or whether it’s me posting because I’ve always wanted to be in the scenario to get a fund like that.

I assume you mean VTSAX, their total market admiral shares mutual fund. From my research there's no real good reason to go with that over their ETF offering (VTI). Same expense ratio and same overall portfolio, and the minimum buy in is just 1 share (currently around $143/share). I could be missing something tho.

• Locked thread