Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pine Bamboo Plum
Nov 5, 2009
Loving this LP so far! I picked up this game a few years back when I saw it being played during a Driver: San Francisco LP and enjoyed what I saw of it even though I'm not great with driving games. Unfortunately, I remember getting stuck in Cleveland and I've never finished the game. People were mentioning stage 6 and I don't know if Cleveland is part of that stage, but it would be nice to know if I just couldn't get past an infamous part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Desert Hills is a really fun stage. I always wondered if Zion and the Million Dollar Highway were the same police chase since they happen one after the other, but they're like 300 miles apart. Also if you think track re-use is bad now, buckle up.

Pine Bamboo Plum posted:

Unfortunately, I remember getting stuck in Cleveland and I've never finished the game. People were mentioning stage 6 and I don't know if Cleveland is part of that stage, but it would be nice to know if I just couldn't get past an infamous part of the game.
Nah you're good, Cleveland is the toughest sequence in the game (on Expert anyways) and probably what I'm most looking forward to seeing diacorn beat in one take. It's also the reason I decided not to LP The Run myself, so much poo poo is happening that adding video capture just made my computer crash. It isn't part of stage 6 but it's a massive uptick in difficulty all the same.

diacorn posted:

Would anyone be interested in a run through the Challenge Series after the main story is over to show this content off?
Please do, you could do them in reverse order to cross America and go back again :spergin:

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Pine Bamboo Plum posted:

Loving this LP so far! I picked up this game a few years back when I saw it being played during a Driver: San Francisco LP and enjoyed what I saw of it even though I'm not great with driving games. Unfortunately, I remember getting stuck in Cleveland and I've never finished the game. People were mentioning stage 6 and I don't know if Cleveland is part of that stage, but it would be nice to know if I just couldn't get past an infamous part of the game.
Glad you're enjoying it! D:SF is a game close to my heart, so much so that I was poised to LP it. I talked in another post near the beginning of my previous LP about why I chose not to go through with that.

Cleveland actually shows up in Stage 8, but it's definitely one of the difficulty spikes of the game, especially if you've never done it before or if you're not familiar with your car.

As mentioned, Cleveland can be chaotic for a variety of reasons, but I'll try and talk in a little more detail when the fun starts. I want people to feel like this game can be beaten, especially on Extreme.

tomanton posted:

Desert Hills is a really fun stage. I always wondered if Zion and the Million Dollar Highway were the same police chase since they happen one after the other, but they're like 300 miles apart. Also if you think track re-use is bad now, buckle up.
I figured that we just sort of Tesseracted our way onto the Million Dollar Highway out of Zion National Park, and the cops followed us. Who says Jack's the only one with offscreen powers?

diacorn fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 24, 2018

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

diacorn posted:

I figured that we just sort of Tesseracted our way onto the Million Dollar Highway out of Zion National Park, and the cops followed us. Who says Jack's the only one with offscreen powers?

Here's the thing about that...

From that look at Google Maps, there seem to be only 2 major possibilities for getting from southeastern Utah to the Million Dollar Highway (MDH henceforth): You can either take the I70 north through Utah and then go south on the 191 or within Colorado proper to get to the MDH, which makes no sense because Grand Mesa National Forest is in the opposite direction, or you go south out of Utah to approach the MDH going northward, which makes more sense for the route but means that Arizona and possibly New Mexico both get offscreened.

I can't say I expected to learn anything about US geography through these particular means, but any opportunity improve is nice.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Current Location: Independence Pass, CO

The Gallardo continues to impress. It can handle the frosty mountain passes of the Rockies with the best AWD supercars Tier 4 has to offer, and its excellent handling response lets us triage the visibility issues associated with heavy snow driving.

The Rockies throw ice at us as well, and at the speeds we're clocking, ice is a Very Bad Thing. Any wheel that contacts ice will skid and fail to put down power, and all four wheels on ice means we go straight into the wall. Additionally, snow-heavy parts of the road seems to negatively affect our grip even when we aren't actively gliding on ice; compare the grip we get on Interstate 70 to our issues as we get closer to the finish and the snow gets thicker.

No new licensed music today, but the final event does use a unique Brian Tyler song called "Choker". It is awesome.
  • Yellow-striped guardrails will break if you collide with them, and can send Jack to his death (though not without some resistance and slowdown as the guardrail breaks). This is a very real threat when the police are chasing and ramming into you, especially in Glenwood Springs.
  • Stage 5 is full of neat details and Easter eggs that flesh out the charming scenery. The most notable is the red news chopper that we see hanging in the air just off to the side of the pass when we start racing Cesar on Route 82. The chopper is seen later as we approach the bridge, and finally settles at the scene of the jackknifed 18-wheeler.
  • The signs to either side of Jack in the opening cutscene of the Summit race clearly spell out what's going to happen before the sirens are heard.
  • When outrunning the avalanches in the Summit race, the screen will turn white rather than red. "Whiting out" nets Jack a unique "Buried" failure screen. The time provided to avoid a white-out seems to decrease as the difficulty increases.
  • I've always observed Driver X to crash into the first boulder on the wide straight after coming out of the dark tunnel, just before the final push to the finish.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Is there no first-person view to avoid kicking snow up into the camera?

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

berryjon posted:

Is there no first-person view to avoid kicking snow up into the camera?
This comment made me remember that The Run does have first person and hood cams, and I went and tried both of them just now.

As it turns out, I'm terrible at driving in anything besides chase cam in this game. I'm used to being able to see what the rear of the car is doing, and the handling feels totally different when you're so low down because the camera isn't moving with the vehicle. Also, I discovered that pointing the right stick down to look back turns the camera all the way to the right in bumper and hood cams, so that's fun.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Since you brought it up at the end of the video , there are a couple of places in western Canada (and I assume the US) where they use artillery shells to cause snow slides and manage avalanches, here's a brief report on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOkqNcPNUvM

You'll notice they usually just use one gun to fire a few shells in order to clear an area. They don't have an entire battalion standing by, firing a barrage into the mountain side like they're declaring war on the Titans.

In less accessible areas they use helicopters to find trouble spots then throw bundles of explosives at it to dislodge snow.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You'll notice they usually just use one gun to fire a few shells in order to clear an area. They don't have an entire battalion standing by, firing a barrage into the mountain side like they're declaring war on the Titans.
Clearly they just wanted to scare us off. The Colorado Dept. of Transportation takes road closures very seriously.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
So now I'm wondering what kind of tricks and traps there would be for a snowy mountain region in Split/Second.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Have to justify inflating the defense budget somehow.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Since you brought it up at the end of the video , there are a couple of places in western Canada (and I assume the US) where they use artillery shells to cause snow slides and manage avalanches, here's a brief report on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOkqNcPNUvM

In less accessible areas they use helicopters to find trouble spots then throw bundles of explosives at it to dislodge snow.

They do that in Europe too. I was in Italy at one point during a gigantic snowstorm in the Alps and they were firing off canons with nearly clockwork regularity because there was that much snow on the ground.

It wasn't "full on artillery barrage" but it was relatively frequent.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
The Rockies are a great stage. It has huge plot holes (if Cesar wanted to buy a better life why the heck are he and his brothers spending $750,000 on three entry fees to the run and not literally anything else?), The Independence Pass track layout matches real life and the music owns.

One more unique Brian Tyler track plays in Glenwood Springs: That is Impossible, likely so named because it's impossible to hear over the constant police chatter and bad audio balance.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Rockies were probably my favourite stage in The Run despite the ice and snow (I also didn't have half the screen obscured with a v-sync error). The avalanches are great over the top spectacles even if they aren't quite as impressive as I remembered them.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Oblivion4568238 posted:

So now I'm wondering what kind of tricks and traps there would be for a snowy mountain region in Split/Second.
I think the avalanches would probably just replace the exploding canyon walls in the Airplane Graveyard/Canyon environment.

tomanton posted:

The Rockies are a great stage. It has huge plot holes (if Cesar wanted to buy a better life why the heck are he and his brothers spending $750,000 on three entry fees to the run and not literally anything else?), The Independence Pass track layout matches real life and the music owns.

One more unique Brian Tyler track plays in Glenwood Springs: That is Impossible, likely so named because it's impossible to hear over the constant police chatter and bad audio balance.
That song is awesome. Good ear! I had no idea that was where it was used in the game either.

I don't know where everyone is getting this $250K entry fee idea from, since as far as I can tell the maximum entry fee would be $125000 ($25M/200 drivers). However, the three 1970 El Camino SSes are valuable enough that they probably could have just sold those to buy a better life for their family. Here's a fully restored one in Canada for $109,000. I'm also assuming that the cars have the 396 and not the big-block 454 (since the BHP figures given for the Tier 1 base model are closer to the 375 HP this engine was rated for). A 454 might be more valuable.

Admittedly that car's on the high end, and may be commanding such a price because it's either listed in CAD or because there aren't many restored cars in Canada. This good-condition 396 goes for $47,900 USD, which is still a decent chunk of change.

EDIT: I'm stupid. It hasn't come up yet, but this is talked about in Calvin's blurb next stage.

Kibayasu posted:

The Rockies were probably my favourite stage in The Run despite the ice and snow (I also didn't have half the screen obscured with a v-sync error). The avalanches are great over the top spectacles even if they aren't quite as impressive as I remembered them.
I think the music and sirens do more for me than the visual spectacle of Frostbite 2. This game's graphics have aged well IMO, but it's definitely not the same watching the footage back as it is playing it, especially given how hard I was concentrating when the footage was recorded.

diacorn fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 3, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

diacorn posted:

I don't know where everyone is getting this $250K entry fee idea from, since as far as I can tell the maximum entry fee would be $125000 ($25M/200 drivers). However, the three 1970 El Camino SSes are valuable enough that they probably could have just sold those to buy a better life for their family. Here's a fully restored one in Canada for $109,000. I'm also assuming that the cars have the 396 and not the big-block 454 (since the BHP figures given for the Tier 1 base model are closer to the 375 HP this engine was rated for). A 454 might be more valuable.

Admittedly that car's on the high end, and may be commanding such a price because it's either listed in CAD or because there aren't many restored cars in Canada. This good-condition 396 goes for $47,900 USD, which is still a decent chunk of change.

Didn't the entry fee come up at the beginning of the game? I'm pretty sure Sam brings it up when she first propositions us about the race so she's either fleecing us or there's a disconnect in the writing somewhere. Also I'm going to assume whoever is organizing all this is taking a cut for themselves and not just adding every dollar to the purse so dividing the money evenly among the entrants doesn't really work. But it seems really inconsequential and is merely a plot device in a game series that should have no plot, ever.

As for buying and selling restored cars the markets (at least when I last looked into it) were surprisingly different - the US, for one, has a shitload more cars for people to choose from. They also had models never sold in Canada and have the benefit of places like Arizona, New Mexico and California that helped preserve whatever got dumped there. Just about everything that ends up in Canada turns into a pile of rust no matter where you live, and just about every car made back then was prone to rusting. Unless you got lucky or had an owner who really cared for the car you'll find few things from the 1970's or earlier still floating around.

The market in Canada is also helped by the fact that importing anything from the US is a colossal pain in the rear end; using your two El Caminos as an example the one being sold in Canada is considerably more expensive with the US one working out to ~$62,000.00 with the current exchange rate. But when importing the vehicle you also need to pay sales tax on it (18% edit: it's actually 13% where I live, not sure what I was thinking of) so we're now up to ~$70,000.00 or thereabouts and have not even paid to have the thing brought to the border or re-registered or make any adjustments to bring it into compliance with regulations up here. Oh, and if you get to the border and whoever is inspecting the car and paperwork thinks you're trying to weasel your way out of additional taxes/fees by understating the value of the car they can just look up it's Red/Black/Blue book value and assess dues based on that anyway. That's a difference of paying about $8,000 in taxes on the $62K car from the US or $14,100 based on the $109K car already available in Canada before they let you cross.

You may still save yourself some money importing the car in the end but I'd sooner sell my soul to the devil than deal with US Customs or the CBSA.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 3, 2018

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Didn't the entry fee come up at the beginning of the game? I'm pretty sure Sam brings it up when she first propositions us about the race so she's either fleecing us or there's a disconnect in the writing somewhere. Also I'm going to assume whoever is organizing all this is taking a cut for themselves and not just adding every dollar to the purse so dividing the money evenly among the entrants doesn't really work. But it seems really inconsequential and is merely a plot device in a game series that should have no plot, ever.

The market in Canada is also helped by the fact that importing anything from the US is a colossal pain in the rear end; using your two El Caminos as an example the one being sold in Canada is considerably more expensive with the US one working out to ~$62,000.00 with the current exchange rate. But when importing the vehicle you also need to pay sales tax on it (18% edit: it's actually 13% where I live, not sure what I was thinking of) so we're now up to ~$70,000.00 or thereabouts and have not even paid to have the thing brought to the border or re-registered or make any adjustments to bring it into compliance with regulations up here. Oh, and if you get to the border and whoever is inspecting the car and paperwork thinks you're trying to weasel your way out of additional taxes/fees by understating the value of the car they can just look up it's Red/Black/Blue book value and assess dues based on that anyway. That's a difference of paying about $8,000 in taxes on the $62K car from the US or $14,100 based on the $109K car already available in Canada before they let you cross.
I just remembered where this comes up. It does not come up in Sam's conversation with Jack at the start of the game, where she says only that the prize is $25M, and that Jack will receive a 10% cut for winning. The entry fee is confirmed to be $250K in Calvin's fluff in Stage 6, but we haven't gotten there yet in the videos. Based on the number of entrants, we can probably assume that the total purse is $50M, and that the organizers of the event are keeping half of it, which is still a horrendously bad payout.

So if both of those cars are in equivalent condition, the seller in Edmonton isn't making that large of a profit, especially given the car will eventually end up in Canada and face some significant rust issues. The prices makes sense, then. Thank you for clarifying!

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Current Location: Lismore, MN

When I swapped off the Gallardo, I completely forgot that Stage 6 presents us with some of the most technical driving in the game.

Most of it's in Badlands National Park, in which we spend a decent amount of ground. Lots of ups and downs mean our suspension is working overtime, and that's bad news in the Firebird. This car's handling characteristic is a lot like the Super Snake of yore, but whereas the Super Snake understeered, the Firebird will err on the side of oversteer. It also has an issue trail braking that we didn't see in the Super Snake, which I put down mostly to its old-school drum brakes and which can most clearly be observed at 3:06, as we turn back onto the freeway in Commerce City.

We also shake things up with another Rival, and this one 1v1s us. Calvin is tough, but only because Frostbite physics and the poor visibility over crests hampers our ability to drive effectively, especially when our suspension can't handle jumps without losing huge amounts of speed. The Firebird is a liability in the back half of Calvin's event, but you can correct for landing complications by lining yourself up properly if you see traffic coming.

Only one new song today, but it's a good one: "On the Road Again" by Canned Heat, a classic American blues-rock band. Alan Wilson makes a relatively rare appearance on vocals, backed by a droning sitar that wouldn't be out of place on a psychedelic record from the era. This is a great driving song, and the quiet of the song contrasts strongly with the roaring engine of the Ford GT to which the sing introduces us, as well as the very high overall speed of Highway 20.

Pine Bamboo Plum
Nov 5, 2009
Now I remember stage 6, because I had some trouble with the last two races of the stage. Since I don't play a lot of racing games, I had a lot of trouble with the technical driving of the 'make up time' event (I probably also chose a car that was completely wrong; see 'I don't play a lot of racing games'), and I'm pretty sure I beat Calvin because he had an unfortunate crash close to the end. Actually, he seemed to have a better chance of wiping out than all the other rivals I remember racing, but maybe that's just me. The hills and constant jumps meant that I was continually blind and sometimes I'd just land right in front of an oncoming truck, so uh...that usually sucked.

Gotta admit, I've been looking forward to Wednesdays more since you started this LP. It's a lot of fun watching what a race looks like when an actual competent driver plays.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
The Plains is an okay stage, I guess it gets overshadowed by what comes before and after. diacorn is a real trooper for doing it in a muscle car. Some thoughts:

- We may not see much of Colorado but the Commerce City race is true to life. They still re-use it later :ssh:

- The original lead singer of Canned Heat died after a fan handed him a vial of heroin at a show and he snorted the whole thing immediately.

- That make up time is rotten. My least favourite part has to be the thread-the-needle after the third checkpoint; those cars are there every time, I think the idea is for you to cut through the lot but the parked cars there always bug out, and sure enough if you pause at that point in the video you can see the them climbing on top of eachother, thanks Frostbite engine.

- Calvin Garret(t)'s theme is pretty cool and also not titled or in the soundtrack for some reason, so here's a mix of it that isn't bad.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Are there many famous Firebirds? I only know the one James Garner drove on "The Rockford Files".

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Quiet Python posted:

Are there many famous Firebirds? I only know the one James Garner drove on "The Rockford Files".

KITT from Knight Rider is about the most famous one there is, I would think.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm pretty sure Burt Reynolds would like to have a word with both of you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I might be confusing it with a stage to come so spoiler tags but after the avalanche in Colorado and the storm on the horizon in South Dakota I was expecting a tornado the whole way through and was kind of disappointed it didn't happen.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Right, so first of all, I've just binge-watched all of the videos so far. Great job, amazing driving, max respect. The Rockies looked like a nightmare to go through, and I can't believe you went through them on Extreme mode. (with perfect runs, no less).

So, I have a couple of questions about the game so far. My own context is that I'd played nearly every Need for Speed game from the originals (I, I:SE, II, II:SE, III: Hot Pursuit, IV: High Stakes, Porsche Unleashed and so on) up to Carbon, and then tried out the first Shift before giving up on the series. So y'know, I knew the older NFS games, and I knew the slightly less older tuner NFS games, but I don't know the current crop (which all have this Autolog thing).

1. Do you get to tune any of the cars? Obviously, there's no modification, but can you do any sort of tuning at all?
2. Does this game get any better? I mean, the last stage of the Rockies was impressive, but most of the game looks pretty terrible to play. You can't pick your tracks, all of the races are kind-of samey, and you can only pick your cars at specific steps (on gas stations that don't seem to show up all of that often, and can cause you to lose a race altogether).
3. Did the next NFS games get any better, or has it just been downhill since NFS: Most Wanted?

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

painedforever posted:

Right, so first of all, I've just binge-watched all of the videos so far. Great job, amazing driving, max respect. The Rockies looked like a nightmare to go through, and I can't believe you went through them on Extreme mode. (with perfect runs, no less).

So, I have a couple of questions about the game so far. My own context is that I'd played nearly every Need for Speed game from the originals (I, I:SE, II, II:SE, III: Hot Pursuit, IV: High Stakes, Porsche Unleashed and so on) up to Carbon, and then tried out the first Shift before giving up on the series. So y'know, I knew the older NFS games, and I knew the slightly less older tuner NFS games, but I don't know the current crop (which all have this Autolog thing).

1. Do you get to tune any of the cars? Obviously, there's no modification, but can you do any sort of tuning at all?
2. Does this game get any better? I mean, the last stage of the Rockies was impressive, but most of the game looks pretty terrible to play. You can't pick your tracks, all of the races are kind-of samey, and you can only pick your cars at specific steps (on gas stations that don't seem to show up all of that often, and can cause you to lose a race altogether).
3. Did the next NFS games get any better, or has it just been downhill since NFS: Most Wanted?

You're not allowed to tune anything, or even use all the cars available for challenge series/online within singleplayer, which is a huge bummer.

"Gets better" is sort of subjective, but don't really expect it to change. It's very much an arcade style "A-to-B as fast as you can so you don't have to insert another token" game from start to finish. I enjoy it but that's probably because I don't expect much out of it.

My experience of the NFS franchise is pretty limited (III, Underground 2, MW2005, Carbon, Undercover, The Run, MW2012, Hot Pursuit 2010, NFS 2015), but it doesn't really get much better. Black Box was my favorite NFS franchise developer so I'm biased towards their games and the original Most Wanted in particular. That said, Undercover was okay for what it was. Sort of open world mission based like Underground 2. MW2012 was easily one of my biggest disappointments playing this franchise. To me (and this is a very unpopular opinion, mind) it felt like Criterion was using the chance to develop another Burnout title, but with licensed cars. It did not feel at all like a NFS title to me, it just felt like a Burnout clone. Hot Pursuit 2010 was... forgettable, I guess, since I can't remember anything about playing it. I'm pretty sure NFS 2015 didn't do so hot in the reviews but I really enjoyed it with the exception of one specific Porsche VS S13 race where the NFS series' notorious rubber band AI shows up in full force. I loved the car roster and for once I was able to use an R32 GTR instead of an R34, so that was me happy as a clam. Tuning makes a big comeback a la MW2005 and you're even able to mod a S13 into a Sileighty. The over the top campy cutscenes from MW and Carbon return but they're more cringy than charming because the dialogue positively drips with "older people out of touch with the younger generation and fruitlessly try to establish some sort of connection." I completely skipped Payback because it released right around the time the Battlefront 2 microtransaction fiasco blew up in EA's face and I heard rumors that Payback was no better. Just my :2bux:

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Pine Bamboo Plum posted:

Now I remember stage 6, because I had some trouble with the last two races of the stage. Since I don't play a lot of racing games, I had a lot of trouble with the technical driving of the 'make up time' event (I probably also chose a car that was completely wrong; see 'I don't play a lot of racing games'), and I'm pretty sure I beat Calvin because he had an unfortunate crash close to the end. Actually, he seemed to have a better chance of wiping out than all the other rivals I remember racing, but maybe that's just me. The hills and constant jumps meant that I was continually blind and sometimes I'd just land right in front of an oncoming truck, so uh...that usually sucked.

Gotta admit, I've been looking forward to Wednesdays more since you started this LP. It's a lot of fun watching what a race looks like when an actual competent driver plays.

painedforever posted:

I'm glad you all are enjoying it!

Unfortunately, the difficult of the Make Up Time events can depend on what car you're driving, and the Gas Station system exacerbates that issue. There are four types of vehicle in the game, all catered to specific routes and challenges. The Stage 6 Make Up Time event goes the most smoothly in any of the Exotics, which tend to have good balance and responsive handling that reward a good racing line and smooth driving style. They also tend to have relatively high top speeds for the Tiers they appear in, which becomes important in the final section, which can be lost easily on Extreme if you don't come into the final straight at speed or can't make up for a bad exit off the downhill turn with a good top speed.

tomanton posted:

- The original lead singer of Canned Heat died after a fan handed him a vial of heroin at a show and he snorted the whole thing immediately.
I thought for the longest time that this was just something that happened in Pulp Fiction, but you're absolutely right. Bob Hite died in 1981.

The singer on "On the Road Again", Alan Wilson, also died on September 3, 1970 from a drug overdose, though his was barbiturate-related and may or may not have been a suicide. That was a bad month for rock music, as Jimi Hendrix died two weeks later and Janis Joplin died on October 4.

Quiet Python posted:

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

KITT from Knight Rider is about the most famous one there is, I would think.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm pretty sure Burt Reynolds would like to have a word with both of you.

We covered all the major ones here, though which one was the most famous Firebird in popular culture is up for debate. James Rockford had the newest Firebird for each year of the show's run (1974 to 1980 according to Wikipedia), which would technically make it the first. Burt Reynolds' Trans Am in Smokey and the Bandit was a 1976 with the front end of a 1977 model. The Firebird Formula featured in The Run is actually a 1978 model, though in the same generation of Firebird as the Rockford and Reynolds Firebirds. Had they waited one more year, the one we drive in The Run might have had a front end that looked like this:

painedforever posted:

1. There is no tuning like there was in Underground 2 or Shift, where you could tweak tire pressure, spring rates, gear ratios, and so forth to alter the on-track behavior of the car. The game also lacks a simplified slider system like the one seen in Most Wanted 2005, which I think is a real shame, as it'd be a natural fit for a revamped Gas Station system.

Cosmetics actually can be changed out at Gas Stations, but this system has also been simplified from the in-depth customization systems seen earlier in the series. When a car is selected at a Gas Station, players can select a "Kit", a preset collection of visual parts, for the chosen car. Each car has between one and three Kits in addition to the "Stock" Kit, and some also let you pick unique color schemes. The Gallardo we passed on Hwy 20 in Stage 6, for example, has the Aero Kit and a color scheme that removes the orange-and-white racing stripe unique to the Balboni edition. (For what it's worth, I'd never get rid of it, because I think it pops really nicely against the midnight blue color of the car we picked up in Vegas.)

2. Most of the blockbuster film moments in the game do happen after we get through Independence Pass. The game still has a few curveballs to throw, but we won't be seeing any new race modes or anything like that.

I think the game's narrow scope could be something of an advantage if more effort was put on immediately getting the player into races between very fast cars on a massive variety of roads. Most of the missteps The Run takes, in my opinion, revolve around a lack of refinement of the core game experience, which suffers enormously due to lack of creativity. The Run is perfectly fun to play, but it could have been so much more than what it is. What if the police used spike strips, rolling blocks, and air support like the Rockport PD from MW2005? What if we got a whole new route to race each time we reached a new event, instead of just racing the route we just did backwards, like in Stage 6? What if races were longer and had objectives that changed, or if the game was restructured so we could meet optional objectives to improve our Run time?

3. I don't think there's an easy answer to this one, honestly.

Most Wanted 2005 is highly regarded for a reason, but my tastes in NFS games may or may not be unusual. For example, I think ProStreet is a very good game. I appreciate that EA tried to do something different by drawing on sanctioned grass-roots racing, and that the game benefited enormously from its nonlinear approach. Between the new events on offer, different race announcers, and consistent car/progression curve, every new visit to the same environments felt different. I also like both Shift and Shift 2, especially the latter, which refined the simcade driving model of the first game and made it playable in the fastest vehicles.

Of the games you've played, which one was probably your most favorite? I might be able to recommend a newer NFS to check out. :)

Tofu Survivor posted:

I'm pretty sure NFS 2015 didn't do so hot in the reviews but I really enjoyed it with the exception of one specific Porsche VS S13 race where the NFS series' notorious rubber band AI shows up in full force. I loved the car roster and for once I was able to use an R32 GTR instead of an R34, so that was me happy as a clam. Tuning makes a big comeback a la MW2005 and you're even able to mod a S13 into a Sileighty. The over the top campy cutscenes from MW and Carbon return but they're more cringy than charming because the dialogue positively drips with "older people out of touch with the younger generation and fruitlessly try to establish some sort of connection." I completely skipped Payback because it released right around the time the Battlefront 2 microtransaction fiasco blew up in EA's face and I heard rumors that Payback was no better. Just my :2bux:
Honestly I kind of like the awful cutscenes in 2015. I acknowledge that they're cringy in that #fomo way, but at the end of the day, they're still just bad movies.

Are you talking about the one where you race Amy's 180SX in the Stella Artois 911? The rubber banding was real in the later part of that game.

And I was actually considering LPing Payback, but I put a stop to that notion as soon as I discovered Payback's microtransaction/gambling system, which has completely flown under the radar in the media since the game came out at the same time BF2 did. It's complicated, so I'll summarize it here. In Payback, performance parts are now "Speed Cards", and each car can have one each of six different parts. Each card has Perks (bonuses) to one or more stats (Acceleration, Handling, Nitrous Duration, etc.), as well as a Brand, and you can get bonuses by matching Brands on three or all six of your equipped cards. Each race win gets you one random card. If you don't like it, you can convert it. Convert three to turn them into a new card. The problem is that you can only choose a Brand, card type, or a single Perk on the created card-- you literally have to spin a slot machine for the other qualities. Naturally, you can engage in microtransactions to speed this process up, but the performance requirements of each story mission necessitate grinding or paying up if you want to have a chance.

diacorn fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 8, 2018

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

diacorn posted:

Are you talking about the one where you race Amy's 180SX in the Stella Artois 911? The rubber banding was real in the later part of that game.

That's the one. That she's so excited about how great the car is after the AI turns it into a total joke once you're driving only adds to the frustration. All that kept me going was seeing that other people were having trouble with it too.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

diacorn posted:

Unfortunately, the difficult of the Make Up Time events can depend on what car you're driving, and the Gas Station system exacerbates that issue. There are four types of vehicle in the game, all catered to specific routes and challenges. The Stage 6 Make Up Time event goes the most smoothly in any of the Exotics, which tend to have good balance and responsive handling that reward a good racing line and smooth driving style. They also tend to have relatively high top speeds for the Tiers they appear in, which becomes important in the final section, which can be lost easily on Extreme if you don't come into the final straight at speed or can't make up for a bad exit off the downhill turn with a good top speed.
And the graphics on top of all of that. How on earth you managed to not wipe out and crash with the snow blanking out half of the screen, I have no idea. I would've just turned off the particle effects (had that been an option).

Seems that the game favours Exotics really.

diacorn posted:

We covered all the major ones here, though which one was the most famous Firebird in popular culture is up for debate. James Rockford had the newest Firebird for each year of the show's run (1974 to 1980 according to Wikipedia), which would technically make it the first. Burt Reynolds' Trans Am in Smokey and the Bandit was a 1976 with the front end of a 1977 model. The Firebird Formula featured in The Run is actually a 1978 model, though in the same generation of Firebird as the Rockford and Reynolds Firebirds. Had they waited one more year, the one we drive in The Run might have had a front end that looked like this:

What ever happened to the Firebird anyway? I was a fan because of Knight Rider and the other late '70s and early '80s American shows. Did I have any of them? I think I had a bunch of Fieros that I'd pretend were Firebirds.

diacorn posted:

Of the games you've played, which one was probably your most favorite? I might be able to recommend a newer NFS to check out. :)
Well, the first four games were classics. I haven't played them in a decade, so the nostalgia glasses are on firmly. I liked the first two because of those excellent car videos (the ones for the Diablo and the XJ220 are still my favourites). The second two I liked because of the modding scene. I disliked the Porsche Unleashed for the longest time because I'm not a fan of Porsche, but I can't deny that the test car driver mode was excellent, as was the tootling around in the Classic Era in 356s and the earliest 911.

I think the game that I liked the most was Most Wanted. Carbon had muscle cars (which I have a weakness for), but Most Wanted was fun. It was in the daylight, so you could admire your cars. The Blacklist drivers were interesting (as were their intro videos), and collecting their cars was a cool bonus. Razer and that Detective were proper jerks, and were so much fun to hate. It was the complete package, really.

I tried to like Shift, I really did, but I just wasn't too sure about the "simulator"-type aesthetic. Too serious for my liking, I thought.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

painedforever posted:

Seems that the game favours Exotics really.

What ever happened to the Firebird anyway? I was a fan because of Knight Rider and the other late '70s and early '80s American shows. Did I have any of them? I think I had a bunch of Fieros that I'd pretend were Firebirds.
A lot of the game favors Exotics, so long as you know how to drive them effectively. That can be a high bar to set, though, when you're in a city with lots of sharp low-speed turns (where sports cars like the Datsun shine), or when you're in the low-to-mid-100s range on highways, where you're better served by a muscle car. But like every other game where competitive balance could be described via tier list, the actual performance differences don't hugely matter unless you're playing on Extreme or trying to set records, so just pick a car you think is cool.

Honestly, I feel like the Fiero was good enough that it could stand on its own merits. It was a mid-engined RWD sports car that competed with the also-cool SW10 MR2, and that was neat in the 80s. You see them around sometimes in the project and custom car scenes today.

And have you tried ProStreet? The game's set in the daytime, and the customization stuff is as robust as it was in Carbon and MW2005. Also, the game's main antagonist, Ryo, goes out of his way to be a jerk. He even shows up talking with the announcers sometimes about what a chump you are, and defending his hand picked crew when you beat them. You might really like it.

diacorn fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 12, 2018

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Current Location: Chicago, IL

The Firebird wears a little thin as we get into the back country. Roads are narrow and sometimes not even paved, necessitating fast reactions and pinpoint car control. A couple detours eventually set us right, but on the way we get a smorgasbord of new races and scenarios. This stage has it all: narrow technical corners in Wisconsin, super-fast highways near Chicago, and even a bit of urban driving. But interlopers want to see Jack fail, and the road to the Top 50 is fraught with peril.

At least we get a new song today: "Bulletproof Cupid" by Girls Against Boys, a song maybe best known for being on the soundtrack of 1996's SubUrbia (along with "NWO" by Ministry, which we were introduced to in Stages 3 and 4). This is a pretty cool song backed by a bluesy guitar riff, which quickly gets absorbed into the wall of noise the band produces. The band uses two bassists, and a lot of their work has heavy texture and usually healthy amounts of feedback. One of the guys who started the band was also with Fugazi before, but he was long gone by the time this album came out.

• The blue nitrous flames actually do count as light sources. Had I gotten closer to the walls in the covered bridge sections, you'd be able to see them light up.
  • The white Corvette in Riverside Drive actually starts behind you with a huge speed boost, much like the Impreza WRX in Loghill in Stage 4. If you use a vehicle like the Firebird with a strong nitrous, you can prevent the Corvette from overtaking you, which makes the first sharp left hander a lot easier.
  • The BMW in Kennedy Expressway can be most easily overtaken by saving all your nitrous from the first section and blasting it as soon as you pass under the walkway, thereby hitting your top speed where the BMW merges into traffic.
  • Taking the narrow off-ramp shortcuts in Kennedy Expressway requires very good control because your suspension is likely to unload as you crest the hills. Your car will drift wider than usual. Letting off the gas and turning earlier will let you take these shortcuts at speed.
  • As mentioned, the police chase section is restartable. This game does some weird things with scripted cutscenes, and treats this section as a separate event, except not really. It does get its own unique loading screen, which for some reason has the Glenwood Springs background. which is apparently from Stage 5 but not from any of the events we did.

diacorn fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 12, 2018

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Despite everything that happened in that update, the thing I found hardest to swallow was that you were able to catch up to a McLaren in a Firebird.

Doesn't say good things about me, does it?

The Ford GT40, what is that categorized as? Is it an Exotic?

I liked how the Fiero looked, I just don't think I saw it in any movie or TV show... until I saw How I Met Your Mother. I had like three or four of them (including one that had rubber tires). That, or 911s, I had so many of those.

No Lamborghinis, Deloreans, Ford Mustangs or Lotuses though, which made me sad. I didn't get any of those until I had kids of my own, and I'd tell me wife they were for the kids (they weren't for the kids).

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Lol, Youtube captions.

painedforever posted:

The Ford GT40, what is that categorized as? Is it an Exotic?
The Ford GT is classified as an Exotic, yes.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Well, it's a mid-engined 200 MPH supercar that would be considered an exotic in the US if there wasn't a Ford badge in the front.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I think that's what throws me about the GT40. As the guys at Top Gear like to point out, it was designed in the UK, which is why it can go around corners, and therefore is a supercar, not a muscle car.

How does this game categorize tuner cars? I'm assuming they're tuner cars, by the way, y'know, the older-looking cars like the old Datsun (or Nissan, whatever) and the older Audi that was available at the end of the last video. I mean, yeah, technically that Audi isn't a tuner, it's a rally car, but I'm hoping you know what I'm talking about.

Are those cars still competitive? Hell, are any of the cars really competitive with the supercars? The muscle cars have great straight-line speed, but so do supercars. I'm assuming that the old-style cars are great in corners, but so are supercars. You don't pay for any of the cars, so price isn't a problem. I dunno, is off-road the only place where supercars aren't as good as the others?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I have to say the rural Wisconsin levels look surprisingly accurate.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

painedforever posted:

I think that's what throws me about the GT40. As the guys at Top Gear like to point out, it was designed in the UK, which is why it can go around corners, and therefore is a supercar, not a muscle car.

How does this game categorize tuner cars? I'm assuming they're tuner cars, by the way, y'know, the older-looking cars like the old Datsun (or Nissan, whatever) and the older Audi that was available at the end of the last video. I mean, yeah, technically that Audi isn't a tuner, it's a rally car, but I'm hoping you know what I'm talking about.

Are those cars still competitive? Hell, are any of the cars really competitive with the supercars? The muscle cars have great straight-line speed, but so do supercars. I'm assuming that the old-style cars are great in corners, but so are supercars. You don't pay for any of the cars, so price isn't a problem. I dunno, is off-road the only place where supercars aren't as good as the others?

Tuner cars in The Run all fall under the "sports" category. The 240/370z, S14, Supra, Evo, WRX, pretty much all VWs, etc are classified as sports cars. IIRC they handle the best but tend to have a lower top speed than muscle or exotics. In my experience there's really no such thing as a car that's not competitive as long as you're picking from the highest available tier, but I only ever played on normal.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

But... diacorn isn't using the best car in every tier, is he? He's playing on Extreme, he isn't using any exploits, but he's chumping the competition.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

painedforever posted:

But... diacorn isn't using the best car in every tier, is he? He's playing on Extreme, he isn't using any exploits, but he's chumping the competition.

To be fair, we don't see how many times he plays each stage before he chumps the competition. I did notice the XP bar jumping around a fair bit, so I'm sure it takes him a least a few tries to get it right. Not to diminish the fact that he is chumping the competition, just that video editing is a thing, so it's probably not quite as easy as he's making it look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I'm sure he does practice, and has practice runs (he's shown off a few of them as well). But this is a racing game, and let's face it, he can't save after every checkpoint or overtake and then replay sections of a race at a time (which is how I wind up playing most games). Frankly, I wouldn't be able to do a perfect race on Normal, let alone on Extreme. So, he's either gotten good enough at the game that he can pull off perfect runs consistently... or he's a wizard, Harry.

I looked up NFS Prostreet, but I'm not convinced if I want it (sorry diacorn!). There seems to be too much of "Drive around this track several dozen times," and not enough of "Drive around these city roads and watch out for the incoming traffic!"

Y'know, I'm tempted to get Forza Horizon, but it's (a) stupidly expensive, and (b) a Windows Store game. Maybe I should just give The Crew a shot? Ubisoft just gave it away for free, so maybe I should pony up for its DLCs, and just play the stupid thing. Most of the modern Need for Speed stuff seems to be... well, not pointless, but just not all that good.

Hell, half of the reviews (or forums) online seem to think that you might as well get Burnout Paradise than Most Wanted 2012, because they're the same game (except that Burnout Paradise is available on Steam, and has excellent car crashes).

• Locked thread