Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

Ferrari isnt Fiat anymore

You’re right! Their majority shareholder is Exor.

...which is the holding company for the Agnelli family.

So yeah they’re basically still Fiat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Renault has a vested interest in giving their customers power unit parity, or at least they claim to, since they want to directly compare their chassis with Red Bull and McLaren. I’m sure that won’t last for long.

when does that new exec who was previously with the FIA and privy to everyone's designs off gardening leave and joining Renault? I'm guessing that's right around the time the Red Bulls and McLarens start blowing up start running into issues.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

What exactly is the point of the superhard tires? Did anybody even use hard tires once during the 2017 season? IIRC they only brought hard tires to one race, and even then people are going to opt for the 2 softer compounds instead.

I guess you use a couple of them during practice and qualifying but jeeze.

Demonstrations and filming days? Teams usually are required to use rock-hard tires for those to avoid gaining useful data.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schlesische posted:

when I said global Sportscar, I meant top-tier endurance racing.

GT Racing is amazing, but top tier Sportscar is and always will be the king of endurance racing.
There's something special about watching a team poo poo bricks as their "half the price of an F1 car" car gets run off the track by a Pro-Am Ferrari, or as it slowly makes its way back to the pits after an engine blow out.

Ever since beautiful Group C was killed by the coward Bernard C Ecclestone, it’s boomed and busted a few times. The boom of GT1, the mini-boom of LMP900/675, the low tide of 2012, the wonderful 2013-16 period, the Dieselgate exodus.

They’ve spun the problems from last year into a good opportunity, but Lord knows what will come next. At least we’re at a net positive for P1 this year vs last, which is somewhat amazing. Hopefully it’s sustainable and crosses over with IMSA’s top prototype class.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Powershift posted:

Homologated GT1. Min 1000 road cars per year.

They don’t even do 1,000 for GTE cars anymore, for GT1 (or whatever it’d be called) that’s impossible.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VodeAndreas posted:

Fixed that for you.

:stonklol: JFC

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Baku has produced, from a fan perspective, great races. However, the teams likely hate it because of how expensive it ends up being in terms of carbon fiber. That's probably why they want to drop it.

Three years into a five-year contract that was negotiated under Bernie, and there were articles from February this year with the Azerbaijani side already saying "the contract is unacceptable," soooooo

plus I'm sure Azerbaijan provides little for the teams from a B2B or B2C standpoint (aka a really nice way to say it's a corrupt oil state) whereas Miami is both a major US city and also 'the capital of Latin America.'

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Road trips are a thing.

The Midwest is for flying over, not driving through.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

Le Clerk is the first driver in a RBR-Toro Rosso situation for Scuderia Ferrari? I dont remember another one

Massa was brought from Sauber up to Ferrari when Rubens left, there were others rumored at the time but nothing recently quite like Le Clerc.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Iannone to Ferrari.

Crazy Joe will continue to knock out Hondas.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Everyone come to Seattle and I can show you all our very good bus system

Seattle is a nightmare to drive around and the buses are included in that.

Come to Tokyo, because Tokyo is the best.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

simplefish posted:

If you ignore the Sky commentary trying to create false drama, it's also the old "don't bother fighting a much faster car over a place we'll end up losing it anyway only with much worse tyres than if we'd just let them pass quickly" thing

And indeed, it worked out well for Ocon

Yeah, that was my read. Would probably have cost Ocon more to fight than to move over.

That, and the emergency “MGU-K kill switch” Toto has in the Mercedes garage.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I don't remember him doing anything noteworthy through most of this season. And certainly nothing noteworthy from KTM either. Are Aprilia still in GP? I figure KTM will end up at their level. Technically in GP racing but not doing anything anyone will ever remember.

the difference is Aprilia spend Minardi money on the GP program, whereas KTM has their money plus Red Bull cash to throw at developing the project. It's only their second year, but you'd imagine expectations rising in a year or two. They'll probably wind up just behind Honda, Ducati and Yamaha, whichever is weakest of those three, and ahead of Suzuki if their cubic dollar spend continues apace.

Zarco not only cracked under pressure but also dumped his long-time manager, sounds like he isn't as laser-focused on racing as before. That or the Yamaha has fallen that far back.

also rookie Sirotkin is faster than Stroll, and any other driver in the field (including Bobby K) would be even faster than both.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You Am I posted:

Is that like Luuke Skywalker?

Absolutely not. Uncle Luke is cool.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If the survey provides a write-in on graphics, the only correct answer is “copy the function of MotoGP’s program while giving it your own identity.” Because the MotoGP graphics are absolutely perfect.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I want the loving tyre symbols back.

I don’t give a poo poo that the very vocal lowest common denominator can’t or don’t want to understand them, they can ignore them, it takes a great deal of information away from the many millions who do.

I want the loving tyre symbols back.

I think up to last year you could also tell if the car was running on new or used sets of the tires too, which is a small but noticeable detail.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Renault are undeniably on the up as a factory team, but the gap to the front three looks pretty enormous currently. If they can bridge it by getting the rule change aero right over the next couple of years they're in a solid place come 2021. If they screw it up that's exactly when Dan is free to move on.

Red Bull aren't winning poo poo in the next two years either as it stands and it's very clear only Max would get a shot at the title if they were close.

Renault are still recovering from almost going out of business in their last season before the takeover. They’ve been re-staffing and rebuilding, and it’s entirely possible they could improve to a WDC/WCC level in another couple years.

This was likely Are Dan’s best chance to lead a team, as he wasn’t going to join Mercedes, Ferrari, or stay at Red Bull and be the lead driver. Renault don’t have the same built up driver talent as the other engine makers (or Red Bull), and Hulkenberg will probably be fairly easily dispatched. Danny Ricky is the leader there.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Mercedes does the same with Bottas, team orders are part of the sport right now if you're in the championship.

Multi 21 was a special scandal because Vettel wasn't necessarily the #1 driver at Red Bull, that's why Webber was so upset. At Merc or Ferrari that's not even a thing.

it was early in the season, Vettel broke the agreed team protocol (which Webber had respected in previous races), and then Vettel didn't get any notable penalty from the team for that. It was at that moment Webbah knew he was totally hosed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

“Ok Google, tell me what car is behind me.”

Lmao Jesus Christ that you babies are this butt hurt that somebody suggests not everything be loaded with tiny useless tech poo poo that doesn’t do anything.

Lexus is launching the new ES next month in Japan with rear-view cameras instead of mirrors. Audi has shown prototype models with it as well, so surely everyone else is working on it. Sports cars have used them for a number of years in racing (because it's much clearer and safer in the dark, especially considering mid-engine cars have lots o' engine in the way). It's not far fetched to suggest F1 may be looking at the technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

watched highlights of practice

what in the absolute gently caress is sponsoring Ferrari now