Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Benetton probably would have won the 1994 WCC if they had literally anyone other than Jos Verstappen in the second car.

I don’t know if it’s Verstappen or Alliot that wins the “worst driver with longest career” title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The B194 was a difficult car though. Strange as the B192 and B193 were easy driving cars from the sounds of it.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

De Cesaris is a good driver.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I felt C.Fittipaldi should have amounted to much more stateside. IIRC he only won twice in top cars. He was ok in F1 in average machinery.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1997 and 1998 are the best CART years and it's almost entirely because of Zanardi.

Montoya was badass too.

1997 is the best, then '98. 1996 and 1999 are pretty drat good as well. Gugelmin and Moreno were also massively entertaining, I liked seeing the ex F1 guys find success.

I personally think Michael Andretti was also at the top of his game between '94-'01 but was basically always had the wrong tires/engine/chassis or didn't get the breaks. The F1 disaster was character building in a way I guess.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The biggest frauds were Tagliani and Carpentier who hung around forever despite winning like zero races, despite CART parity in 2000 being so nuts that Roberto Moreno had a shot at winning the championship.

Other notable frauds: Bryan Herta, Scott Pruett, PacWest as a team after 1997

Add in Penske from '97-'99. Especially 1999. Yeeessh. Herta was actually promising early on. To be honest, you could add basically any of the younger Americans to the fraud list. Barron, Hearn, Gordon (who I really like) Mears Jr., etc. The younger US talent all seemed to burn out rapidly, aside from Vasser (who was probably the best American aside from Andretti) and Memo Gidley (massively underrated).

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

DoctorGonzo posted:

What happened to Adrian Fernandez?

He wound down his career after the CART era. He kicked rear end.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Gordon was very good, but was a case of very bad career decisions, almost all self-inflicted.

Remember when he basically called the Ford engine a piece of poo poo on air after in blew at Road America in '96? Oh Robbie...

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

PacWest as a team after 1997

Also Davis racing, who took Jim Hall's excellent single car effort and ran it into the ground. In 1996 Gil De Ferran was winning races and had full sponsorship, in 1997 poor Gualter Salles had to sit out in qualifying more than once because the team couldn't pay Ford in time and his highest finish was like 7th.

For some reason Lola paid those donkeys to run around at the back of the field with Arnd Meier in 1998. Unsurprisingly, they learnt nothing.

Frond fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 5, 2018

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1996. Bold statement but despite it being one of the most famous CART moments ever I think that pass should have been illegal.

Zanardi owning Herta repeatedly over the period of 1996-1998 is funny, to me. But I agree, it was a poo poo move.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Zanardi probably should have been the '96 Champion but he wasn't great on ovals and Vasser drove smarter that year.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

DoctorGonzo posted:

He passed Herta before the corner, he went off track because there wasnt any space left. It doesnt matter he passed Herta next year clean.

The year after in Vancouver he ran Herta off the track.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Zanardi's F1 career (both stints) is odd. He looked below average in the first part and out to lunch in the second. Gugelmin, Lehto, and Blundell all drove in F1 around the same time and looked much better (although in Blundell's case he had pretty good cars) but in CART it was reversed.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Who cares about TR-Honda. Let them run around at the back.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

McGuinty posted:

The final corner of Magny Cours is extremely good for being a proven fraud binmen sifter. Too bad about everything else having to do with that circuit. France is cursed with having to choose between two equally boring tracks (3 if you count Le Mans Bugatti), just because magnesium burns Frenchmen hotter than the surface of the sun, and apparently chunks of volcanic pumice to the face at racing speed are bad for your health and your personality.

Paul Ricard is good, I just wish they left out that chicane. Dijon-Prenois is also good.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Magny-Cours sucks a bag of dicks.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Apropos of nothing did anyone ever explain what the poo poo was up with the weird-rear end livery Newman-Haas used for one season only in 1990

The pink might be for Energizer.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1990 also had the original Target Chip Ganassi car which was weird as hell. Also weird that it's an '89 Penske that Chip got when he bought Patrick Racing.

I love that at some point there were three teams on the grid which had descended from Patrick Racing, and two of them still exist!

Cheever, what might have been. Another pretty good F1 guy (and the last successful US F1 driver) that did not do all that well in CART.

The CART wheelcovers were cool.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I always liked how plain Newman-Haas's liveries were, the white-black sidepods for the first K-Mart/Havoline cars, and then the plain black ones, so the 1990 one is a bizarre outlier that I've always thought was weird

Some of the later NH cars were different colours. Fittipaldi's car was Red in '97, Then light/dark blue in 2001, Then Green/Yellow/Blue/White in 2002.

Also, unrelated;

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

This was a cool livery but it wasn't used for very long.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Tsaedje posted:

Spa and Suzuka

Suzuka is lovely. It’s sorta a waste that Honda owns it but w/e.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1992-1994 are probably the poorest F1 seasons of all time. 1995 at least had a few memorable races like Spa, and 1997 is one of my favorite seasons ever, with a massively competitive field.

I liked 1993. 1994 has some good moments but it's mostly pretty lousy. 1992 sucks balls, aside from De Cesaris and Alboreto's Indian Summer.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I think that was Ericsson's best ever race. The performance was Ghinzani-Esque.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Power Rankings after Bahrain;

1. Ferrari
2. Mercedes
3. Red Bull
4. Haas
5. Renault
6. McLaren
7. Force India
8. Toro Rosso
9. Sauber
-69. Williams

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I might be wrong but I think Bahrain was an anomaly. Still, TR doesn't look to be the slowest so that's a plus. And from the way they talked themselves up in the offseason McLaren looks quite unimpressive, but it's still early.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I'm sad because Williams looks loving atrocious. For the love of god put anybody else in the car.

Frond fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 13, 2018

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

Which apparently is the result of them not having the nose cone ready for safety testing in time? They were making a big deal out of how the McLaren is completely missing s-ducts in the nose that the rest of the cars have.

If true it could lead some credibility to the 'mclaren will improve' matra going around

I still think they will.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

McGuinty posted:

Phwoar, bringing back a classic marque would be pro as gently caress, very synergistic. Ron would be proud.

The Matra V12 was used for a helluva long time by racing standards. It's was basically unchanged from it's inception and was used by Ligier until the end of '82.

I dunno if it's a trick of the eye but the JS19 is such a massive-looking car.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

For some reason people forget how awful the last two McLaren-Mercedes cars were.

For some reason people forget how bad McLaren has been since 2008 or so.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I'd say it started after Senna left, with a few red herrings here and there.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Williams is probably a low midfield car at best but it really made me wonder about cars which were let down by a poor driver pairing.

IMO an obvious one is Williams in 89/90 when they had Boutsen/Patrese, which is your classic double-B-driver lineup. I don't think it could have fought for the title in 1989 but it definitely could have in 1990, as ugly as the 1990 Williams is. I think Tambay-Arnoux for Ferrari in 1983 (which actually won the WCC) probably could have been improved on as well.

I really wonder how good the FW12 would have been in '88 if it had it's Honda RA168E like intended...I've been watching '83 too and I'm inclined to agree - Arnoux was/is really loving good, but Tambay, while skilled, probably wasn't Ferrari material.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Also during Paul Ricard '83 Ferrari blew 8 engines in practice.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

1500quidporsche posted:

The 90 car was a championship winner in the hands of someone like Prost or maybe even Mansell. That by far was the worst line up and that car had pace when one of the drivers randomly woke up and decided to put in a fast lap.

Boutsen was a slow fast driver. Patrese also tended to randomly lack motivation during races - this was true for his whole career more or less.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1988 was the year of people doing heroics with a Judd on both sides of the Atlantic funny enough, Bobby Rahal dragging the Truesports Judd (after getting blackballed for dallying with Ferrari in the offseason) to third in points with a Pocono 500 win is still underrated.

Yeah Bobby's '88 was really impressive. During 88-91 in CART if you didn't have a Chevy-Ilmor you were not going to win. Exceptions are Bobby and Teo Fabi's Porsche.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They win it comfortably if Pironi didn't nearly die in 1982, I'm almost positive of this. The 1984 car was a true dog though.

Ferrari/Pironi should have got the WDC in '82 - as much as I love Keke. I think the '84 car was bad because the design was just too drat old by that point.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I'll add Al Unser Jr. to the "really loving good drivers doing amazing things in poor cars". He won 5 times in a March.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Ilmor years were really foreshadowing what would eventually play a big part in killing CART - the engine makers having way too much power and playing politics.

Pat Patrick should have known better...

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Chibi GP is Super Formula. Hiroaki Ishihura drives a Chibi Itasha.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Watching 1998 and I forgot that even boozed up and driving those awful Penskes he'd still sometimes put in a random blinding performance before inevitably blowing up. He was good even though he sounded like he had an IQ of 80.

1998-1999 is really sad because you could tell the PC-27 was crushing his soul. He's was a real talent, probably top 5 in the CART era.

1999 Penske is really drat weird. Flopping back and forth between the Lola and in house car, reverting to a single car team, hiring Tarso Marques and Alex Barron for some reason (although Gonchi was good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

1500quidporsche posted:

The thing with 83 too was Brabham really came out of nowhere with their B spec car and started dominating. I don't think Renault or Ferrari expected Brabham to come on so strong.

The early car was also pretty promising if not reliable. The early BMW Turbo also had crippling lag, and it was really apparent on starts.