Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

For sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Is there some sort of contest among drivers for who can wear the ugliest, most useless sunglasses?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'd forgotten how much I hated that DHL ad.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wirth1000 posted:

F1 Streaming Service will not be available in Canada.

None of hte broadcasters in Canada are airing the practice sessions.

How does this make sense???

Well, the streaming service isn't available anywhere right now, so... yes?

Also, only airing the race counts for keeping the broadcast rights, and as long as TSN manages that, they will keep it locked up.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Edward Mass posted:

Literally the F1 website does this. Quali is at 11PM PST.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lou Takki posted:

If you're in the US, FP3 is on ESPNnews channel and the Qualy will be on ESPN2.

ESPN is also streaming it in the U.S.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't Bottas do the same poo poo last year?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wheel gun is probably busted. Didn't work for Mag, and same gun probably didn't work for Gro.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's going to come down to how much Vettel can jam Hamilton behind him until the Mercedes overheats and has to drop back. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the Mercedes still has the same following problems it did in 2017.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Merc getting hot, but Hamilton backing off early to manage it. Expect a charge from him.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wirth1000 posted:

Leclerc just destroyed Stroll too

That's a big takeaway from this race, the Sauber cars are noted poo poo right now, and Leclerc was able to hold of Stroll without ever being challenged. Of course the Williams is also pretty bad, but it still has a merc unit in the back and qualified way higher up the pack.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

Hard :same:.

Yeah. Just goes to show what can happen in a pit stop. loving bizarre that it happened TWICE.

It was different wheels, so different guns, but they all share the same air pressure system, so if that wasn't able to supply all the guns fully at the same time, it could cause this. It happened to another team (Renault, I think?) a few years ago, but they caught it before the stop and switched to backup guns (the in garage air system is separate, iirc)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Mercedes posted a video explaining how the VSC pit pass happened in Australia. It's not really new info, but they do say exactly how it came about, and go into some detail about the exact rules that were in play in each section of the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3-ZQqU8m08

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

Ferrari: Let's complain about burning oil, then vent our burning oil to the atmosphere to show how much more we're burning than everyone else.

(Haven't watched the vid, no sound)

During engine start, Ferrari claims the seals on the turbo don't fit perfectly, so oil is allowing through and burned by the engine. Once the turbo heats up, the seals correctly mate and the burning stops.

During the race, it's no longer allowed to use turbo waste gasses as part of the combustion mix, so Ferrari chose to vent them out a port in the back of the car next to the rain light. Other manufacturers have chosen to vent these gasses into the exhaust or into the engine bay, where they aren't as noticeable.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wirth1000 posted:

With the V10s and V8s they had to run hot water through dedicated channels in the block just to heat it up so it can be started up lol

That's still true of current engines, though they have electric heating elements built in instead of external water. There are generators for each car on the starting grid if you look during a broadcast.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Frond posted:

I'm sad because Williams looks loving atrocious. For the love of god put anybody else in the car.

I don't think that would help. Williams is shaping up to have a really poo poo year, everything about that car is turning out to be wrong. They've somehow managed to gently caress up having the fastest and most reliable engine in F1, and everything else is just worse from there.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

I think Paddy Lowe is just that poo poo tbh

This I agree with, he's very over rated. And while people can rag on stroll and rag on sirotkin, and I completely agree that Kubica is better than both of them combined, Stroll isn't even measuring up to what the car could do last year, and no matter how much he sucks he isn't getting worse, so something happened.

Both Ferrari and Mercedes swapping rear wings around in China FP1.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ahhh gently caress, there is a huge loving chime sound whenever the flag symbol appears (red, yellow, green) and it's really badly done and much louder than anything else going on. I hope this isn't F1/Liberty loving around, because it's really bad.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I expect a bunch of ragging on Lewis about this FP spin, but it's one thing he's expressly explained as an imitation of Schumacher, who always pushed the limits during FPs to find out exactly where the edges of the envelope were, because spins and overruns barely matter in FP. I'm surprised we don't see more drivers doing this type of thing.

Also, Dan blowing it up.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The track is getting slower and slower, it seems. I'm wondering if anybody will push it too hard in Q2 and Q3.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haas / Grosjean already having problems.

If Soft is the tire to run, Ferrari is really working that tire better than Merc. That's opposite of what it's been so far this year, and it may be Merc is so gentle on the tire it doesn't stay warm enough. I don't think this is everything yet, though.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Party mode.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

Ferrari beating Merc's sector 1+2 times then pitting is one hell of a move.

Soft vs Ultra Soft, though. Ferrari tipped their hand for Q3, Merc can now dial in to beat them.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sulphagnist posted:

I really wanted that Kimi pole, god damnit.

Yeah, Kimi did something weird in that last sector. I want to see a replay.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

Aww yiisss Davidi, I’m ready.

Is that the F2 (Moto2) guy? I know I've heard that voice before.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

Something odd is going on for sure.

Williams slower.
Force India can’t keep up.
Lewis only 0.003 faster in quali than last year

Meanwhile at Ferrari they are 0.7 faster than last year’s quali.

I’m going to go with Mercedes works and customer cars not being allowed to burn oil rather than some magic Ferrari cheat mode - It’s hard to see how they could be using the oil in some sneaky way given that you can see it pissing out the back of the car all race.

They are still allowed to burn some oil, however a big change that wasn't really talked about is you now have to run the same oil formulation in qualifying and the race, which is new for 2018. No more super lightweight qualifying oils.

I'm leaning towards Merc really working on the tire wear issues that Ferrari had them beat on in 2017, and they've gotten to the point where they are so 'gentle' on the tries they couldn't get the tire temps up high enough during the out lap to really turn on the tires in the way Ferrari managed to. I don't think we will see the same gap going forward because no other track in the calendar will be as cold as this race is turning out to be, though the track should be warmer on Sunday, and that may be just enough.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Most races they have 3 tires that are in a row as far as durability, right?

I'm trying to remember a race that jumped a level like this, normal, soft, and then ultrasoft not supersoft. But maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to some races last year?

Feels like more pressure from Liberty to spice up the sport, along with the added/increased DRS zones we've seen so far.

I'm sure there was one, but I also recall it went ultra, super, then medium, and was useless. Everybody just ran the super. Or maybe super, soft, then hard? It jumped at the top end, not the bottom end.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Theophany posted:

I honestly think Are Dan's best move for now is to keep Red Bull sweet because they're starting to come good again and he realistically doesn't have a shot at Ferrari for 2 more years and, depending on the outcome of Hamilton's negotiations, Mercedes for 1-2 years. At least by staying at RBR he can pick off the occasional win, a few podiums and keep fresh in everybody's minds how good he is.

Yeah, but Honda. Dan’s also said he doesn’t want to still be racing in ~5 years, which will cut down his appeal a bit but also means he won’t jam up a seat if there are up and coming drivers from a team program.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Max really cut that corner...

Also, the Red Bulls both seem very slow?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

geonetix posted:

Hamilton going for the undercut

Swearing on air too.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Gunther Steiner: Red Bull have crashed into each other!
Romain Grosjean: Hold my beer!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Frond posted:

I’ll wait for confirmation but I feel that the Honda motor, while better, is not ready for Redbull.

Having pissed on Renaults croissants quite a bit, Red Bull may have little choice in engine suppliers for 2019/2020.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wirth1000 posted:

Also, Ed Wood is out at Williams after being chief designer for like 12 years. Lawrence Stroll flexing his muscle.

Williams is a sad sack of poo poo team being run into the ground by Claire's short sighted decisions of cash above all else.

I'd say Paddy Lowe making GBS threads the place up, guy is very, very overrated.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ferrari once again making GBS threads up their pit strategy. Only got away with it because Mercedes had an awful stop.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wirth1000 posted:

Leclerc loving owns so drat hard

Yeah, I want to see him get a big red ride.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

Lol McLaren just breezed past a Honda.

Not to defend Honda too much, but Hartley hasn't stopped yet and his tires are long since worn out.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

We're a bit early in the season for Ferrari to completely gently caress their strategy aren't we?

It's never to early for Ferrari to trip and stick their head up their rear end.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sulphagnist posted:

What's that widget on the front wing even for, if Verstappen's doing perfectly fine without it?

The endplate stops air spilling off the side of the front wing and being 'spun' by the outside of the front tire. That spun air forms a vortex that behaves like a tornado, pulled hard on anything it's 'touching'. If you can avoid that, forcing air up and over the tire, you reduce drag a lot.

This is one of the changes coming for 2019, they are widening the front wing so it matches the front tire width, and simplifying the wing designs. The goal is to make it easier to control these vortices and leave the air behind the car less disturbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ferrari: Trash on the Track, poo poo in the Pits.