Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Co-worker called me last night to say he can't get in to work this weekend to sort his contractors because snow. Guess who's getting 35 hours of pay this weekend?

:negative: it's me, I'm working 7 days a week because I want the money.

Hilariously the guy who can't come in has a 4wd with snow tyres, I've a 60hp 2wd rollerskate with rain tyres but the snow didn't hit us as hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Woke up, declared herself "all better" and ran outside where I shortly had to holler at her to stop chasing the dogs with a stick.

Kids are awesome.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Some guys are leaving to go work with Rolls Royce, going from a 3 week rotating nights afters days to continental shifts, some hosed up 28 day 2 days 2 afters 3 nights 2 off kinda poo poo if you're not familiar. I can't immediately bring to mind a number you'd have to pay me to do that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

RR as in Trent, not silver ghost.

But your point still stands.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Never thought I'd say it, but I full-on regret leaving Kitchener.

The place?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

We were together for 7 years before we got married, that was 12 years ago. Both of us had friends that got married within a year or two of meeting, none lasted more than a couple of years total. Best of luck Rhyno, no one knows what the future will bring but having put up with each other for years previously is a dammed good foundation for resisting the poo poo the future will bring.

Like the heated discussion we had at 2am this morning about the loving duvet. Pro-tip, get a much bigger duvet than the mattress size.
Pro-er-tip, get 2 matching duvets

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fingers crossed for you.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Not the top of the page but have a Biscuit:

7 months old now. His mom's owner said he's a lab/shephard mix but we have no idea what this dog is made of.

Analysis complete
100% good boy

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well superficially it sound like he needs to sever and get therapy, also stop drinking.

Yes I'm aware how simple I make that sound.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You start reading thinking it'll be funny or pathetic then quickly realise the internet was a mistake and some people deserve no better fate than to be ground up for fertiliser. Live.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

angryrobots posted:

If someone left me a Rolex, I'd sell it and buy a fast car. gently caress watches, it's 2018.

This. I mean I can kind of get not wanting to sell something that was left to you, on the other hand I really try not to accrue more stuff and I might not be poor but £25k would make life less stressful and I'm sure "be less stressed and give the kids more life experiences" would make a better inheritance than a watch I wouldn't wear (unused to watches), couldn't wear(would have to take it off all the time at work), wouldn't dare wear (A watch worth more than the average annual income in this country) and doesn't even keep good time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Any UK guys going to the Classic & Restoration show at the NEC?

Probably my little brother. I'm grabbing every weekend shift I can get away with at the moment so no ogling the Minors for me.

Morris. Morris Minors. Shut up.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

I finally got the missus to almost entirely stop texting and driving

A few days ago, she was going 45mph, took both hands off the wheel, looked into her lap and started to text. So I grabbed the wheel and kind of yelled, "You are your mother!* Put the drat phone down, hold the wheel with at least one hand, and loving look where you're going." I wouldn't apologize for anything besides raising my voice**. She threatened to kick me out of the car 15 miles from home, and wouldn't talk to me for almost the entire evening/morning after our date. Yesterday, she told me that whenever she looks at her phone in the car, she hears me yelling in her head and puts the phone down to wait for a red light first. Not ideal, but progress was made and the "acting like your mother" gambit actually paid off in my favor

*I once tried to jump out of a moving car on the interstate and walk home to Chicago from southern Michigan instead of being in the car with her mother any longer. She has Bluetooth voice activated calls/texts but thinks that holding the wheel and looking at the road are optional parts of driving. Even on the highway, with her small children in the car, we'd catch her watching facebook videos every few minutes while neither hand held the wheel
**Her mother's terrible driving actually turned my generalized anxiety into a real panic disorder. I still let very few people drive me places without lots of Xanax. And that's 4 years and 2 therapists after I drove with her last

:stonk:

That's horrifying.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

angryrobots posted:

From the article posted.

I'm very on the fence about driverless tech, but reasonably you have to admit that there are situations where accidents can happen, regardless of whether the driver is a piece of software or sentient meatbag.

LIDAR. Shadows.

I bet Volvo are heavily regretting partnering with Uber right now, they'll forever have their name and a picture of their safest SUV linked to the first autonomous driving kill.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

rdb posted:

I thought tesla already had that honor with a model s vs. semi turning left.

Autopilot != Autonomous. Some dipshit watching a film while his glorified lane departure system steers him into the side of a turning truck is entirely a different class of accident to "autonomous vehicle with safety driver kills a pedestrian", exactly the sort of accident we're repeatedly told will disappear because of how good AI drivers will be.

E: also blaming shadows when the system uses lidar that can easily spot a (small) human is terrible. That's why they're used, they're not dependant on ambient light.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

What a page :psyduck:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

everdave posted:

Hyundai Elantra (4 door, not the GT).

Is the consensus pretty much I need to spend $400+ on Thule or Yakima? Anyone have experience with Rhino Rack? Seems those would run $300 or less.

You know that $275 you just saved? Spend it on the Thule and you get the benefit for years.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Depends on the chain and to the same extent, that particular store. I use Malvern Tyres mainly, they've never minded awkward requests but then I never turn up at peak times.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Are you on a stock photo somewhere as "bystander"? :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Facebook is loving toxic. If it wasn't the only way to keep in touch with certain people I'd delete it right now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well I hope that shuts up everyone who was talking about suicidal pedestrians throwing themselves at great speed into traffic it won't

I'm going to guess the driver will be fined or sued for negligence, Uber will eat a fine and make a statement promising to learn from this tragedy, we'll get another death in a couple of months. :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kirsten Bell chat is good but I've been watching Wynonna Earp on Netflix and Dominique Provost-Chalkley is just dreamy :allears:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If I was a "driver" for this program right now I'd leave asap, they'll try to throw her to the wolves and they haven't a great history of treating their employees/independent contractors well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Nope. That was 90% Ubers fault.

I didn't say she was at fault, just that she'll get poo poo on for it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

As the owner of a 60bhp car who's ET and 0-60 are about the same, the 1/8th is less tedious for the spectators :haw:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

I meant having the camera there to cover their own asses. It's clear their LIDAR system poo poo the bed, and Volvo's own pedestrian protection system either failed or was overridden

I read somewhere that anything factory in the Volvo was disabled to avoid it interfering.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The idea of having a human being sit in the car and watch patiently for the 1% of the time it runs over a pedestrian vs the 99% of the time it boringly trudges through featureless suburban grey is also one that is doomed to failure.

1 death in 4 million miles, she maybe had 5 seconds where she could have made a difference? Yeah there's no chance a human can monitor that reliably.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

YOU GUYS I CAUGHT ME ONE OF THEM SOFT AND PRETTY SMELLING THINGS, YOU KNOW, THE MYTHICAL HAIR TIE BEAST

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I don't think I can read the news anymore. I'm exhausted from being terrified.

I choose to believe one of these posts is in response to the other.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

everdave posted:

Also I may Be the only person on earth seriously
Drooling over the new 19 Corolla hatch

I hope you're not the only person, my job security depends on enough Europeans liking it in the next 6 years.

Though I'm eager to find out whether the 177bhp option is any good and whether it rides as nice as the other TNGA vehicles.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

I had to look this up and I'm disappointed that it doesn't stand for Toyota North Goddamn America.

Tenuous nipple gazing arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

So, the correct response to "here's your raise, it's lower than you expected even though you did great this year because you're near the top of your pay window, no I can't tell you what that is, your only chance of a significant raise is your uninterested boss supporting you in your next 3 annual appraisals to a level you haven't seen in the 10 years you've been with us" is to get the CV up to date, right? I'm a little short on fucks to give right now, truth be told.

E: guess what discipline I'm in Enourmo?

• Locked thread