Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

InitialDave posted:

That's an American term, it doesn't actually mean anything to me. Is it like maintenance, basically paying living expenses after divorce?

Because if so, I return to a very blunt why?

Alimony is a hold over from when after women got married, they stopped working.
It can still make sense in cases where on partner stopped working to raise children for a long period of time, because it can be really hard to enter the job market in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Found a comic book store!

Douche inside was arguing that Black Panthers powers are all drug induced so he's just another black crackhead.

So much for California being the promised land!

San Diego is weird.
Have you had both carne asada fries and a california burrito yet?

IIRC, you're also going to LA. There is nothing worth doing in LA but eating and looking at cars. But they are both amazing. Like I was s sick of Veyrons when I lived in socal. You can also get a good version of any food in the greater LA area if you know where to look.
Skip Hollywood and go directly the Mario's (Peruvian), thai town, or langer's (better pastrami than NYC, fight me).
Make a reservation of the Peterson vault tour (way better than the actual museum, which is also quite good. You have to make a reservation.
If you can get to the Mullin museum, it will be open on the 10th and the 24th this month, it is literally the most amazing car museum in the US if you like 20-30s era cars. You must buy tickets in advance. Totally amazing.

BraveUlysses posted:

California, home of the LAPD. anything you hear in a comic book store is literally child's play by comparison
LAPD isn't even nearly the worst department in the greater LA area.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 4, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Locator posted:

The homeless problem in SD is because the city doesn't or won't do anything about it, and the weather is pretty much perfect year around so somehow they all migrate there from places like where you came from where it's loving cold.

Most of these people are not from SD, so you shouldn't really let it break your heart (other than the homeless issue in general - not specific to SD), they could be homeless in Minnesota or Chicago instead.

I'd be curious if that is actually true. I hear it everywhere warm with a bit homeless issue, but when they do studies a huge percentage became homeless when living in the general area.

In warm places, they're less likely to use shelters (shelters are often awful and require them to abandon pets and belongings).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

We haven't even gotten to LA yet!

Also we did not rent a car for this trip. I wanted to sightsee, not worry about rear end in a top hat drivers.

We're here til Wednesday, still a lot to do.

But for real, none of the food has been special yet. Carne asada fries? You can get that ahit anywhere in the midwest.

My wife gives no shits about cars so we're not doing a lot if car poo poo. Cars & Coffee in Monterey on Saturday is the main thing.

How can you you see SoCal as it is meant to be seen without a car?

Go to Marios and get lomo saltado. Use the green sauce. You won't get that poo poo in Indiana.
Also, you're been going to poo poo mexican places if it hasn't been better than indiana. Saw you posted a burrito on a fancy plate. Great burritos come in disposable packaging.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 5, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Elaborate. Goons on FB told me i had to drive from SD to Anaheim or I'd regret it. Well the trip was slow, frequently stopped and the highway was jammed with lovely drivers.

San Diego didn't require a car and we saw most of downtown and balboa park. We made it to Old Town and Ocean Beach without a car.

Goons again told me that LA is a huge shithole and to avoid it. Ditto for Hollywood.

See this is the problem with traveling, some peolme think what they like about a city is all that matters. I want to see cool rear end old buildings, walk around and sightsee with my wife and not worry about driving. And also eat pizza every day.
Los Angeles and orange county are really spread out and doing anytging walking or on public transit takes forever. Driving takes a long time, but less, unless a train actually goes there.
For example, if you were still in anahiem tommorow, I'd recommend you get some carnitas at el toro bravo in costa mesa. This would be not be an abnormal trip for dinner in socal. However, without a car it will either take forever or an expensive uber.
La and hollywood suck. Except for food and car stuff, all of which require public transit.
Marios is probably public transitable from hollywood and isn't a terribly expensive uber, so totally go there. Lomo saltado is so good. i repeat, if you gp thrre, get thr lomo saltado.
For the record, I do eat things other than spicy beef and potatoes, but my recommendations wouldn't lead you to believe that.

I would have taken the train from sd to oc, then rented a car.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 5, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's a dry cold, 65 and a slight breeze with 3% humidity feels a hundred times colder than 45 and 40% humidity.

Rhyno, If you've only been to San Diego, San Diego is like what Los Angeles would be if it was created in a vat designed to be as California-Lite as possible while not offending anyone.

In LA:
Go to Mario's Peruvian, there's two guys here independently telling you to do it and to get the Lomo Saltado and a shitload of the aji sauce. Nothing like that anywhere. It's also surprisingly economical.
Eat sushi, you can throw a broken PT Cruiser shift automatic gear selector knob into the south valley (Studio City/North Hollywood/Sherman Oaks) and hit 11 places that are better than anything that's not in Japan.
Eat autentico mexican, which means there'll be no lettuce in the burritos like they do up Midwest Way.
Go to Koreatown and have all you can eat BBQ.
Go eat fresh shrimp anywhere along the beach between Redondo and Malibu.

Then to really cap off your honeymoon, take your lady to Providence, you will not have a better meal anywhere in the world.

:sever: or alternately, quit getting free terrible cars, learn to drive RWD, and maybe she'll get into the idea!

Listen to this man
Probably stay away from skid row though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

You guys Disneyland is fun!
Share your drugs please
I'll admit it can be.

I have a rental Mistubishi Outlander (non-sport).
I can't believe this is a car sold in yol 2018. It is so bad inside and I own a 13 year old subaru and my first car was a 1992 toyota camry base model.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

blindjoe posted:

I want the PHEV outlander to not suck, but the normal ones at the autoshow last year were really bad, so I assume they will be the same.

The interior is so bad.
The steering is so vague.
It hates cross winds. Like way worse than my mazda with a bike on the roof. It is windy today, but not THAT windy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

JNCO just went under apparently.
Couldn't hold out just long enough for them to come back.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

People seem very upset about it.

I can't tell if t his is a joke or Indiana things.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

We are staying up near Universal City tonight, where am I supposed to eat again?

Edit: Marios Peruvian. Got it.

Edit 2: wife fiercely hates seafood so that ain't happening.

Uhm, you get beef at Marios.
Mario's is technically called Marios Peruvian and Seafood, but you don't order seafood there.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

slurry_curry posted:

This is the best thing in LA. Probably the best rotisserie chicken and shawarma I have ever had. My wife only found out about it because she loves true crime, and she saw some show about how the son of the family that started Zankou ended up shooting his sister and mother, then himself

There are literally two Zankou Chicken chains as a result of that.
Zankou is awesome, but not as good as lomo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

A goon strongly urged me to get del taco, but hey whatever.

She's not allergic, she just hates seafood and when we googled it the reviews were all about seafood.

And why would i take pictures of where we are? Does Google Streetview not work?

Those people are dumb. You order the lomo saltado, which is beef, potatos, onions, tomatoes, and an amazing sauce. Then you add green sauce.
No seafood.

Edit: also did you marry an 8 year old?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

She worked in a seafood joint for much of her teenage years. I have seen her gag when i eat cocktail shrimp.

I dont like a lot of foods so i dont eat them, not even when on vacation.

Incidentally, we are way off the beaten path tonight at the urging of a local friend. The traffic in this city is horrifying.

Did you go to marios or not. Because if you didn't because it had seafood in the name, lol.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I've been waiting for a good moment to read that through.
The last incel thread was amazing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

This is the country where it is pretty common to find social media posts making fun of fat people, particularly women, daring to exercise where people can see them. I can see why it is hard to start.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Man, cashing in this savings bond is proving to be difficult. Three banks have told me they limit to $1000 per day.

When I did it, my bank just let me deposit all of it in my checking account immediately. It was well over $1000.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Pretty much this. The best way to stop bullies is to push back hard.

This is a good way to go to juvie these days. Particularly if you aren't white as gently caress.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Seminal Flu posted:

I think people are conflating their hatred of Uber with the situation.

I agree, Uber is fully responsible. So what? If it was a human driving, they would not even be cited for killing a pedestrian like that. The person shouldn't have been in the middle of the road, at night, wearing dark clothes. The driver would probably be grief-struck, but there wouldn't be a legal or monetary penalty.

With that driver facing camera you're getting some percentage of fault.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Seminal Flu posted:

Fair enough. She'll get crucified for looking at her phone, but she was in an autonomous vehicle... That'll still be enough to make Uber write a big fat check, though.
Uber should be as well. They either need to train or supervise their employees better.
The whole reason they have a person in the car is to override when things happen.
Uber cars had a number of issues with bikes and peds acting legally in SF, but they were all stopped by the human driver. You're not supposed to think the car is foolproof because it isn't.
The fact that apparently the uber did not attempt to stop at all is the most damning. There's like a 2-3 second gap between when the ped becomes clearly visible in an overly dark video and impact. While avoiding the collision may have been impossible, mitigating the damage was not. The difference between 38 and 25 could literally have been life or death.
A driver has a legal obligation to minimize damages. You can't see a ped who is acting illegally and do nothing and hit them.
I could see possible criminal charges for the "driver" depending on how the laws are structured in AZ, though the defense would have a pretty solid case. Uber's going to be on the hook for aome damages.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I have been saying for a long time that the biggest problem for self-driving cars is legal liability. Does it fall on the "driver/owner" or is on the manufacturer?
There's going to be long amd protracted litigation and google is going to wish that they'd hit the person so they don't have to deal with uber's likely lovely legal choices.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

YOU GUYS I CAUGHT ME ONE OF THEM SOFT AND PRETTY SMELLING THINGS, YOU KNOW, THE MYTHICAL HAIR TIE BEAST

Is this the one with the facebook likes you posted? Because, uhm. . .

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Does anyone know if prius 12V outlets are weaker than others?
I was trying to add a few PSI to my mom's prius tires with a 12V air compressor, and it barely ran. Switched to powering off my mazda, and it was way faster.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m in LA and I never want to leave holy poo poo

Man, Michigan must be loving awful then.

Unless you're talking about the food or car museums.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I haven’t really explored much of the US as an adult and I forgot what having constant sunshine was like

For instance, I forgot that in a good state 65F feels significantly warmer than it does in Michigan where the sun doesn’t shine

At least in Minnesota when it is -20F, it is likely sunny. It doesn't help, but it is there, taunting you.

LA has its high points (food, cars to look at), but much of the rest of California has the same (though the cars aren't as good) with fewer downsides.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

He didn't buy it for him, he bought it for himself brand new. Dude's got a dozen other wicked cars back in Cali. He also paid for half of his schooling. I don't think he will actually sell it but he doesn't want it to sit in a garage undriven.

Wait, grandfather gave dude his own car? Selling it is a total dick move then. If grandfather wanted it sold, he'd have done it himself and given your friend the money.
Also, the car is likely a better investment these days anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

He was going to sell it himself, I think this was a tax writeoff.

They are a complicated family.

That car is way over the gift exemption.

• Locked thread