Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Dog in car:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Adiabatic posted:

OH MY DOG THIS IS loving CUTE

You have no idea...

My wife used to work at an animal rescue. He was what is commonly referred to as a "foster failure" - she brought him home as a foster the day he was surrendered by a couple of teenage girls and he never went back to the shelter.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

Pit mixed with what?

As far as we know he's just a pit mix.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
More dogs in cars:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sup puppy buddy :smugdog: :hf: :staredog:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CornHolio posted:

Fucker needs to just go to prison for a few years and get better.

With an ulcer there's a pretty good chance this would be a death sentence - most prison health care providers have profit incentives to not treat inmates.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CornHolio posted:

It's really more of a statement on how poor our healthcare industry is here. There isn't anywhere to do to just get healthy and be taken care of if you need it - the only place that will feed you properly and keep you from being stupid is a prison.

That being said, while the SCOTUS ruled that prisoners have a constitutional right to (well, technically that the states have a constitutional duty to provide) healthcare that doesn't mean they actually get it.

Most states seem to have taken the "its cheaper to violate court rulings and pay settlements to the surviving family members" approach than actually abide by what the courts have ordered them to do. If the treatment for your illness isn't "take two inexpensive over the counter pills after each meal" you're very likely to die a needlessly painful, easily preventable death in prison.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 13, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Nah they look fine as long as they're sprayed on the outside with visible drip runs

No clearcoat either.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

In this employment environment (US), it's pretty much the only way to move up any more, at least in IT, where I am. Almost no one will increase pay significantly without moving to another company, or at least a lateral move to another in-house position. Most of us can't even get decent cost-of-living increases.

"Haven't had a meaningful raise since 2010" crew checking in.

Doesn't help that I've been laid off twice since 2015 and had a contract job with an rear end in a top hat company last summer, then got lied to about the place I'm working for now - they promised a big raise at my 1 year anniversary, then I found out about a month after starting that the company is in dire financial straits thanks to a previous president siphoning off all profits for the better part of a decade, and being in business six months from now is a 50/50 proposition. Needless to say I've ramped up my job application efforts recently, because its ridiculous to be driving 60 miles a day to a job that barely pays the bills and has a highly uncertain future.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

TLDR You can own a business and make money and not be a greedy gently caress

You should probably send a memo to all the business owners.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It is going to take at least 50 years and a significant overhaul of the entire US infrastructure before we see self-driving cars being used for more than replacing truckers and taxis in big cities

That's a long winded way of saying "never going to happen."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

True nothing is perfect but reports are suggesting she 'came from the shadows' into the road. I thought that was the point of having all those radar arrays on self driving cars?

My guess would be those little Doppler radar units can't get a consistent hit off of something as small as a human body. Quick google search shows pedestrian avoidance systems utilize a combination of radar and optical sensors, so it being dark out likely contributed to the system failing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If the sensors can't pick up a human body then I guess they're kinda pointless...?? Sending a car out that can't see pedestrians shouldn't be that much of an issue in the US because no oval office walks anywhere but holy poo poo it still mowed some poor fucker down.

Probably more of a case of "will prevent most pedestrian involved accidents but doesn't work 100% of the time."

Looking at the numbers, there were 5,376 fatal pedestrian/vehicle accidents in 2015. If you prevent half of those (assuming a 50% success rate, which is probably substantially lower than pedestrian avoidance systems actually perform) you're still saving 2,700 odd lives per year.

TL; DR don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sorry, they are in fact great "dogs".

Fixed.

I have a cat that is more dog-like than most Yorkies.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BigPaddy posted:

Getting onboard the loving breeding to show standards train. Had to put a 3 year old dog down just over a week ago because of a number of neurological issues. Ignoring how hard it is to have to put an animal to sleep that is so young and you have had since it was 8 weeks old the breeders are either ignorant of the problems which is a concern in of itself or don't care.

This was pretty much what happened to our Doberman, although he made it to 10 days before his 7th birthday. We got him at 10 months from my cousin, who was in the middle of a messy breakup with her deadbeat boyfriend who had bought him on a lark and pretty much dumped him with my cousin. Deadbeat boyfriend bought him from an Amish breeder. While his temperament and intelligence were incredible (he was seriously the best dog I've ever had, out of a long line of dogs stretching back to as far back as I can remember) and he didn't have any health issues from birth he died of osteosarcoma, which Dobermans have a genetic prediliction for and which breeders should work to avoid - but to the Amish dogs are just another form of livestock to make money off of.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Our puppy Hazel recently figured out she can climb into the middle section of the cat tower, and then climb up to the top through an internal opening between the two:

Geoj fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 26, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Sorry, I tried to visit LA yesterday when you guys started talking about it but I'm still stuck in tomorrow's rush hour traffic 20 miles outside of the city limits.

Pretty much this. Never been to LA, but I did spend a month in the Bay Area between 2013-15 when I worked for HP.

Only way you could sell me on moving there is if I was independently wealthy or could telecommute/walk or bike to work.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Great Lakes region weather may suck, but at least we know where our next glass of water or shower is coming from.

Also major natural disasters (earthquake, flood, wildfire, hurricane, tornado, etc.) are practically unheard of.

And most importantly, the beer scene is pretty great here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

This is also a truism in IT. The only way to get a significant raise is to change jobs, whether it be with another company or a sideways move.

This is pretty much all sectors. If you didn't enter the workforce before the early to mid 90s, wages have been flat for the past 25 years.

• Locked thread