Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ExplodingSims posted:

So, if anyone cares, I got the job I posted about in the last thread. I'm officially an INDUSTRIAL refrigeration tech now!
I fly out to their training place in about 2 weeks for a 3 week session. So this should be fun.

Been spending all day today doing all their training videos and tests. This is going to be an interesting experience based on what I've seen in the videos so far.

Garts, hope it works out long term.

Here, have 2 cats, I can afford to pay for others because we live in a society god DAMMIT

E: Also if we're still doing the Total Lifetime Horsepower thing:

02 Taurus - 200
03 MSP - 170
91 S10 Blazer - 160
07 CVPI - 250

Grand total: 780, average: 195

Also, really, P71? 5 years newer and 50% more displacement, but only 25% more power than the Taurus? That SOHC motor really was a dog, huh?

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KozmoNaut posted:

So now I'm just another Copenhagen public transport commuter. I may look buying a smaller and more economical car soon, let's see how long I last.

What is this... pub-lick trance port, of which you speak??????

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man I'm not exactly a sex-haver (shocking I know) and I get bummed about it sometimes, but then I remember how those incel types are and that they exist and it makes me feel a lot better about myself. Like at least my head is screwed on straight enough to recognize that the problem is me, and not some gender-wide conspiracy for the drat wimmen to oppress all the nice guys.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So humidity makes both hot and cold days worse? I wonder if there's objectively a temperature at which the effect is neutral.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Misanthropes unite!

"Nah I went last time, everyone at those meetings sucks"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

She was working in a cocktail shrimp bar when she met you?

boooo

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1nywcksid4

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

^hell yes son

The Door Frame posted:

Are you for or against pizza rules?

Personally I think pizza rules, yes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Polygon is pretty good for games stuff with a more comedy bent. Anything with Griffin Mcelroy (or his brother Justin) in particular is generally gold.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man, personally I'm just loving fatigued to where I never want to discuss politics, ever, no matter how important the issues are.

One of my senior design teammates constantly goes "God I hate my nagging girlfriend, amirite guys?", and makes "I legally changed my gender to salt lol" and "i identify as an attack helicopter" jokes like they're so witty and original, and argued that he knows black people are predisposed to higher crime rates because he, personally, was robbed at work by a black man and I am Tired Of It.

My dad constantly quips about "Johnny Weir more like Johnny Queer, eh? Eh?" and "Man, this is kind of a dark part of town, know what I mean?" and "Send all the immigrants back and let em earn their way back in if they deserve it" and I am Tired Of It.

This country's being carved up and sold to greedy corporate bastards by their fat cat conservative pals, meanwhile the "liberal" Major Party is a bunch of limp-dicked-do nothings who pay lip service to equality because "Guess what, this police death squad is super bae, because they're women!", and actual liberals can't get gently caress anything done because they're too busy tearing each other apart over purity tests and "More Woke Than Thou" dickwaving contests, and I

am

TIRED OF IT

I realize I've been guilty of stirring poo poo up in the past but there's just been so. much. bullshit going on the past few years that I just can't summon up the fortitude to even try and engage with it anymore. I'm with Adiabatic on this one, I just want a chill place where I can come bs with cool people, not Yet Another Political Discussion Forum.

E: Or, Wherein I Go Full-On "Old Man Yells At Cloud" Before I Reach My 30th Birthday

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 22, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Anyway, by this weekend I may finally finish getting my level 2 high power rocketry cert, so that'll be a fun time.

This hybrid rocket I'm building for school is an absolute ballache, though. We way over-scoped the project because we were told the test equipment we needed would be up and running, which wound up being far from the truth. We've basically had to expend a month's worth of effort just to get to the point where we can start designing the final motor we're gonna fly. We were gonna have to do a test fire, collect data and use it to design the final grain, fire that, and then fire it again to prove it's below the impulse limit, all before the launch on April 15.

Except now, surprise! The agency doing the competition couldn't coordinate with the club they usually launch with, so now they're scrambling to find an alternate site. So now we've got more time, but the launch probably won't happen before the semester ends, meaning we're gonna have to scrap our existing final report, which is framed around the launch attempt, and focus entirely on the theoretical/development process. Again, all in 3-4 weeks.

College is hard and I want to be done already. At least my last electives are going alright.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Overheard in my machine design class: "Nah, 1/4 mile drag racing is bullshit, you just need the most horsepower. 1/8 mile is where the real competition is."

Is this a common attitude? Personally I hold that more speed = better than.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Elmnt80 posted:

And no, you're not. I kinda want a corolla hatch.

Trust me when I say millions of people want a corolla hatch.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hey man can we cut out all this flea chat?

it really bugs me

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KakerMix posted:

I grew up in Muskegon so I know all about Michigan and winters and is the number one reason I now live in Florida. Sure it's lol Florida lol but so what, Michigan has it's own (horrible, terrible) issues, it's just that down here I don't have 'bleak' in my vocabulary between the months of October - April. If it's California or Texas or Florida or Georgia or whatever you should live somewhere that isn't weatherly-depressing.

You say that as if the 6 months of summer between April and October isn't its own flavor of depressing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

And hey, if the engine ever dies and you decide to upgrade to a 350, or even a gen 3, a lot of the hard work has been done already.

Doooo eeeeeet

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maybe i'm just salty cause I hosed up this weekend and spent waaaay too much time in the sun without protection, and my forehead was actually blistered for a bit.

Also because I've recently discovered I like long-sleeved styles better and they're hella impractical for most of the year here.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

loving christ this rocket was gonna be so cool but department fuckups, manufacturing issues, and straight-up false promises have delayed us to the point that I'll be shocked if we get off the launch pad.

I'm sick of school, sick of working with dipshits, sick of having to back up and re-tool every couple weeks.

Hybrids aren't even loving worth it at this small a scale, just use a solid rocket.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

iwentdoodie posted:

Welcome to engineering. Get used to it.

yeah funny thing, i'm aware of that and it's causing me a major crisis of self doubt right as i'm on the cusp of graduating

at least at a job I'll be getting paid to deal with the bullshit

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

That hedonic treadmill's gonna put you right back where you were in no-time, buddy boy.

I'm aware of the problem and I'm doing my best to ignore it and power through regardless, but god drat is it demoralizing.

E: Also, one of my senior design teammates (the one I mentioned a while back who rips on his girlfriend all the time, among other personality conflicts) has apparently had a week and a half vacation scheduled around Easter scheduled since like November, and neglected to inform any of us until about a week ago. He's also been promising since January that he'd get an enclosure built for his 3d printer, so he could print ABS and allow us to bypass the manufacturing nonsense. After having issues getting it finished up (because he's obsessed with using expanding foam instead of just cutting craft foam to shape), he came up to his scheduled vacation and went "Well, bye! Good luck!" and I'm kinda pissed about him leaving us swinging in the breeze like this.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 29, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ilkhan posted:

How many jobs are there for rocket scientists, anyway?

At the end of the day I'm a Mechanical Engineering major. Rockets are what I've ended up doing at school, but there's no shortage of jobs for me overall. My only hangup is not wanting to work in defense, but even on that I've gotten to the point of "if you pay me I don't give a gently caress, whatever"

E: The Formula SAE Baja competition was one of the other options, specifically redesigning some suspension bits for it. I had it as my second choice, in retrospect I'd much rather have done that. Nice well-defined project scope, with one (1) set of regulations (instead of 2, one of which is revealed gradually as you ask the school MAE department "Can we do [X]?") and a well-established background.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

all fwd compacts are more fun than they have any right to be

• Locked thread