Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Trying to fix a user's laptop, and I think the SSD is dying. Of course she has no backups of the 200+ GB of useless poo poo on her drive. Every time I try to copy poo poo from the drive (removed from the machine and attached to a Mac via a drive dock + a M.2-to-SATA adapter) the drive will just disappear after about 800 MB transferred. On a PC, I can't even get into her user folder to grab poo poo because the drive won't stay operational long enough for the read permissions to her user folder to be applied. CHKDSK tries, then shits itself when the drive disappears. The Mac at least ignores permissions on external drives. I can copy a few hundred MB at a time. I don't want to be mean, but she's not worth that level of effort. Frustrating me all to hell.

Have you tried imaging the drive instead of trying to modify the files on the drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dicking around with farm simulator. Makes me feel like a real farmer!

Although you can tell i'm not because the poo poo's strapped down.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think the governments completely ignoring puppy mills will completely destroy quite a few breeds, and that's not even considering the ones already completely ruined in the name of cuteness.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Or homeless.

Looooooooooootsa homeless people there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

One of the local news sites puts an adblocker warning replacing their videos that previously would have autoplayed at 300% volume.

They sure showed me :allears:

• Locked thread