Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well there's a lot of knowledgeable gun guys in here, would rather not post in TFR if I don't have to.

I figured "how to sell" was a general enough question.....I usually use CL to sell poo poo but you can't sell guns on CL.

I would use a gun shop to sell everything on consignment.

keep the Iver revolver though. It's not worth much, but it's a neat old gun. I wouldn't shoot it thou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

everdave posted:

Ya'll talking about relationships and sex or what not, I'm getting divorced and my ex just thinks I should pay her over $1k a month for the rest of eternity and anything other than that is unreasonable. We split the kids 50/50 too! I am just shaking I don't know what to do. I'm 40 and self-employed what if I get sick?

Just because I make X amount in sales a month does not mean that is what I make. I don't know what to do, very scared. Just so many threats.

Lawyer up. Then shut up. Make no statements positive or negative regarding your (ex)wife to anyone, not even the dog.

My marriage ended, all things considered, quite easily. But have heard horror stories from friends that got taken to the cleaners for any number of reasons. So much so, that I wouldn't meet with her unless a lawyer is present.

Tide fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 2, 2018

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Found a comic book store!

Douche inside was arguing that Black Panthers powers are all drug induced so he's just another black crackhead.

So much for California being the promised land!

Isn't the BP pretty much black Trump? Wakanda is extremely isolationist, has a big gently caress off cloaking shield around it "protecting" it from everyone else and pretty much says "gently caress everyone else" until his country is threatened. It's been years since I read the comics, so I could be wrong.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My kid and I played airsoft for the first time today. He's hooked. I'm hooked.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

wallaka posted:

Make absolutely sure to wear good facemasks and goggles if you like your teeth and eyes.

No kidding. That and ear protection. I didnt get popped on the ear, but I bet that would bring tears to my eyes. Hurts thinking about it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Seminal Flu posted:

California is spectacular. But the people ruin it.

To be fair, this can be said about many many places.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
PIBBLE BUTT SPOTTED.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I loving hate windows 10.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

Why? I was bummed when I got it a year ago because it looks like a tablet but I got over it and haven't really run into any major issues.

I’ve used it for about 2 years or so and I still hate it. I had to reinstall tonight and going thru the bloatware and removing PIN or password requirement and just general unneeded fuckery. Hell it STILL requires me to put in a password on restart despite unchecking the box in the newplwiz thing, or under user and accounts.

And the March of Empires tile will not go the gently caress away.

So much of it triggers my OCD that it makes me want to chunk the loving thing and go completely Apple but I like my PC gaming.

I would go back to W7 if I could...in a heartbeat.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Ever get a single sharp chest cramp in or below the ribcage and rather than assuming pulled muscle or whatever you instantly jump straight to well this is it, this is the end

As I've gotten older...yup.

Left arm hurts? IT'S THE BIG ON, I'M COMING ELIZABETH!!!
Get a weird migraine? I'M HAVING A STROKE.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

That is just bad rear end.

Probably goes zero to 60 between now and sometime in the next century (not that you would want to go fast in it) but it's still bad rear end.

Tide fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 14, 2018

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

everdave posted:

Also still going through divorce and if you the praying kind I could use your help

I got you bae

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The first question asked, from the beginning of time, is 'What will make us money?'. And it's a fair question to ask. Nobody goes into any business as an altruistic endeavor. None of us are going to 'work' for free.

But when it skews to 'What is the greatest value for shareholder value?' instead of the focus being a great or even good product or service is where it loses any steam with me. Having been in the corporate world for far too loving long, when the all knowing board of directors or even your immediate manager thinks that simply cutting OPEX is a means of increasing revenue, rather than investing in people or whatever, you're in trouble. You can downsize your way into bankruptcy, or worse, irrelevancy.

That said, I bet every one of us uses ad block or similar. We've kind of done this to ourselves. But at the same time, every loving pop up and autoplay video deserved it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

I use adblock extensively. I pay for the bandwidth to deliver content to me and I get to decide what content makes it to my eyes.
If the business model isn't sustainable because of adblock then they better figure out how to make money in some other way. I'm not required to watch ads, they aren't required to serve them and nobody is required to buy whatever the ad is selling.
I'm not required to take part in whatever business with whatever rules they've drummed up.

That's the thing: The business model is based on ads. Click throughs. Selling what IP address clicked what ad. They aren't selling a product on the webisodes of whatever, it's (hopefully) entertainment with ad based revenue and click through.

I am only mildly surprised that Comcast (or whoever) hasn't made it to where you can't fast forward through a commercial on DVR content. I know you can't, for the most part, with on demand content, but the minute I can't FF through the commericals of whatever show I want to watch is the minute I cancel Comcast and start buying on blu ray or simply waiting for it on Netflix or Prime or whatever (only to be throttled by the repeal of net neutrality ( :a2m: ))

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

TLDR You can own a business and make money and not be a greedy gently caress

If it were only that easy.

Tide fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 19, 2018

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nerd.

edit: cat doggo tax

2nd edit: doggo is real, grass is not. not my doggo.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

angryrobots posted:

From the article posted.

I'm very on the fence about driverless tech, but reasonably you have to admit that there are situations where accidents can happen, regardless of whether the driver is a piece of software or sentient meatbag.

username post combo win.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Other kids, apparently

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My kid being bullied or ostracized is one of my biggest fears. He's a tough kid, takes no poo poo from anyone, but is genuinely a warm and loving person. But he's not a 'cool kid', doesn't run with the cool kids club. More of a solo kid that kind of floats around. He seems content with who he is; a happy kid. Not pushing any sports on him except golf (because he's actually really freaking good at it) and lacrosse. He enjoys cross country track. We do a lot of hobbies together (hunting, fishing, kayaking, skiing/snowboard, camping, wrenching on a car, teaching him basic skills to do around the house).

I get a lot of positive feedback from teachers and parents, so I figure I'm not messing him up too bad. I figure if the worst battle I have to fight with him right now is him wanting to stop getting a haircut after Christmas so he can let his hair grow longer for the summer, or wearing snow boots in summer, I'm doing ok. Apparently a kid on a TV show he likes has longer hair so whatever. Be a hippy.

As long as he is happy with who he is, so am I.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I have decided that Kristen Bell is extremely my jam.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

Man, personally I'm just loving fatigued to where I never want to discuss politics, ever, no matter how important the issues are.

snip

TIRED OF IT

I realize I've been guilty of stirring poo poo up in the past but there's just been so. much. bullshit going on the past few years that I just can't summon up the fortitude to even try and engage with it anymore. I'm with Adiabatic on this one, I just want a chill place where I can come bs with cool people, not Yet Another Political Discussion Forum.

Bing-loving-O. I started to write a post about this several weeks ago but thought better of it since it could be construed as politics chat and in the end, it would do nothing to curb it and yet in a weird way just contributes to it. As I guess this one does too but drat

Everybody is outraged about everything. Everybody is just waiting to get outraged about something. Politics are in entertainment. Sport. THE loving DICK DICER AUTOEROTIC TRANSAXLE EMPORIUM. How are some of you (no one in particular) not just loving exhausted about the entire thing? YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME LOCK STEP?!!?!? WELL gently caress YOU FASCIST COMMUNIST ANTIFA SJW WHATEVER YOU ARE.

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick.

Here's Kristen Bell again. Enjoy:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nope. But kid and I are headed to ABasin next week for mancation and am freaking pumped.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

One of the cool + good things about AI is that it's not like the normal automotive forums filled with lonely old men spouting equal parts good info and awful opinions. When I first came here, I had a few lovely opinions, shared them, and was probed for them by IOC and because of that I decided to do some research and think about things from the perspective of other people. I also grew up a lot and went from being this dumb middle class kid with relatively wealthy parents to being a young married kid who suddenly didnt have any sort of disposable income and lived off of rice and lentils and curries for 2 years before me and the missus graduated and got full time jobs, and it made me think about the fact that I was incredibly fortunate and privileged that I wasn't stuck in that position for the rest of my life because I had the opportunity to go to uni and get a degree in a field that is in high demand and that there were people all over america who needed help with their day to day just to survive. I also learned a bunch of other things that I should have known as part of being a decent person, but unfortunately I didnt think of because i was in a position of privilege and refused to recognize it because i was a big dumbass. The start of me being "woke" is directly related to me posting itt, calling things that i thought were stupid "gay" and talking about what some minority did with their money, and getting called out and probed over it and realizing that i was a lovely human being who needed to change and grow the gently caress up.

So while i'm not happy at all that the people calling out racism yesterday were probed because we were "making GBS threads on a political opinion", as if the way someone treats and talks about another group of people is now a political issue, while the person who said racist things got off free, I am happy that I have a probe for saying something racist in 2012 and a probe for yelling at a mod for not handling racism in 2018. at least i have proof that I've grown up at least a little, even if some of you would argue i'm just some dumbfuck SJW REEE'ing in the chat thread and it's not much better.

i like most of you guys and I only still post itt sometimes because you guys are cool, unlike most of the gearheads that I have been exposed to, and I consider many of you my friends. i'm not going to stick around if lovely people with lovely opinions are allowed to dogwhistle here just because they didnt explicitly say "ya i'm from california and i was surrounded but a bunch of sp**s! i was the minority!!"

love you guys

Holy poo poo. Shut up.

If someone posts something you don't like, ignore it. Or them. Generally, as a rule, you're not going to change their mind, they aren't going to change yours. It doesn't matter if it's 'dog whistle racism' or whether or not they like their steak well done with ketchup (to be fair, that would be considered fighting words). Because someone disagrees with you politically doesn't make them the devil incarnate. It may make them misinformed or ignorant about issues, or being stuck in an echo chamber, but it doesn't necessarily make them evil.

Chances are, jumping in and dog piling on someone has the direct opposite of what you intend because you're not arguing with fact, you're arguing with emotion and will push them even further into their own little rabbit hole.

Y'all quit trying to get the last word in and let it loving die. This isn't me backseat mod'ing, this is just me saying this thread and subforum is best when people on both sides of the fence leave their opinions in GBS or D&D and out of what used to be one of the last bullshit free subforums on these dead, allegedly comedy forums as whole.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Kirsten Bell chat is good but I've been watching Wynonna Earp on Netflix and Dominique Provost-Chalkley is just dreamy :allears:

Yowza.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
After 6-8 months of gradual shifting of my diet to more, I guess, paleo-ish, it's amazing how much better I feel. The side effect of losing weight is nice, don't get me wrong - but it's unreal how much better I feel overall. And I'm pretty sure it's cheaper overall. Lots of fruits, lots of vegetables, a lot more fiber, few lean meats. Cut pasta, processed sugars, basically anything white. Sleeping better. And I swear my kids grades went up lol. He's less antsy, but that could just be a side effect of him maturing. I'm convinced HFCS, which is in drat near everything, is the devil.

I had to get the oil changed on my company car and was lured by the sweet smell of the next door Burger King. Couldn't eat but about half of it, and holy crap (which came later), did it make me feel bad the rest of the day.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Seminal Flu posted:

It's easy to armchair QB this stuff, but there's got to be some realization that every situation is different, and we are not always as "ON" as we may like to think. Two years ago I hit a deer. It didn't materialize out of nowhere, it came from the woods on the left side of the road, along with up to half a dozen if its buddies. The first one fully cleared the car, I got the second one dead-nuts on. I was driving my family, I was not being inattentive, but it was dark and I somehow missed this group of animals running across my path. If I had a dash cam, you'd probably be able to see them before I hit the brakes in real life. However, I didn't see them until it was too late.

What I'm saying is that there are always going to be circumstances that you can explain away later, but we are fallible, and there are always going to be accidents... robot drivers or human drivers.

I think 100 percent of what you said is applicable, and getting lost in the conversation.

Even if it is 100 percent a technical failure on the car, the person crossing the street still has an obligation to ensure their own safety crossing a street; crosswalk or not. After watching the video, the woman that was hit was walking her bike across a highway at night wearing a black jacket and blue jeans, no reflectors on the bike and just on the outside coverage the street light (thou this could be a camera issue, admittedly). Should the uber driver been looking at their phone while in an autonomous car? No. Would it have mattered? Maybe. Is there blame to go around. Yup.

Even if the driver was paying 100 percent attention, they won't be looking straight ahead at all times. We take our eyes off the road directly in front of us for a second or two all the time simply being safe and scanning the area around us. at 55 mph, you're covering 80 feet per second. Trying to put myself in the drivers seat while watching the video, I caught myself looking to the left of the intersection as I came up on it to look for 'trouble'. Even just for one second, by the time my eyes got back to center, I was theoretically hitting the woman. No idea how fast the uber car as going, however.

iwentdoodie posted:

Cut way back on the fruit and it'll get even better.

Paleo/keto/new buzzword for the same low carb diet is indeed awesome. I just enjoy beer too goddamn much. If I eat decently (150ish carbs) and don't drink, weight sheds off. If I eat the same but drink, I just stay the same weight. Somehow my cholesterol and literally everything else is still perfect.

Meanwhile my teetotalling in-laws who keep telling me that drinking and eating so much meat will kill me can't stay out if the hospital with kidney stones and heart issues :v:

I thought about it, but the fruit satisfies the sweet tooth. All things in moderation thou. The paleo foods are foods I like to eat anyway. I love my fruits and veggies. Especially raw. But I guess I'd gotten lazy, despite its easier to simply break open some raw fruit from its containers, wash it, then eat it.

I do miss 'heavier' beers though.

Tide fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 22, 2018

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's a surface street with a speed limit between 35 and 45. It looks a bit like a divided highway, but it's just Mill Avenue northbound somewhere north of the bridges and south of Washington / Curry.

Gotcha. Looked like a highway to me.

I don't mean to infer that it was intentional by the biker (suicide?), because even if it was, and as much as it's the womans obligation to ensure her own safety while crossing the street, it's the drivers responsibility to ensure their and others safety as well and not looking at their drat phone for 4 seconds (264 feet at an assumed 45 mph) and 6 seconds (396 feet at an assumed 45 mph) at a time. From the time that the driver first looked down, glanced up, then looked back down at her phone, the car had traveled nearly 800 feet.

I'm a big subscriber to chaos theory. All the things that had to happen to make that moment possible just reinforces that when it's your time to go, there's not much you can do about it.

ilkhan posted:

Nope. That was 90% Ubers fault. The lidar should have sensed here presence and stopped the vehicle. That's what the sensors are there for. 10% her's because she was still jaywalking.

The failure analysis will be telling, if it's ever released.

I would expect that the NHTSA is going to get involved, so this will be public record.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The driver is a convicted felon. She is going to get absolutely steamrolled.

Please note I'm not in favor of making it harder for felons to get jobs.

I thought it was a fat dude with a soul patch.

Prior record or not, she's going to get steamrolled regardless. The in camera footage shows clear negligence regardless of the intentions of the woman crossing the street.

Involuntary manslaughter?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

Overheard in my machine design class: "Nah, 1/4 mile drag racing is bullshit, you just need the most horsepower. 1/8 mile is where the real competition is."

Is this a common attitude? Personally I hold that more speed = better than.

Eh, maybe. Aero matters less in 1/8 than 1/4. You have to be nail your launch. You have less time to recover from a bad start or traction issues through the first couple gears.

For example one of the last Grand Tour episodes where Clarkson was driving a Tesla Model X in a drag race vs a Audi R8 or something. The X demolished the Audi R8 off the line and probably a little more than half way through the 1/4. But once the R8 found its footing and aero started working in its favor, it was closing in fast in the last 1/8. I would have liked to see the trap speeds at the end of the 1/4.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I may or may not have just made the perfect bloody mary recipe. Must test with the garnishes tomorrow.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not what you would call a hatchback fan, but that's good looking.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm giving serious thought to burning the current group, aside from people that I know are part of AI. Then making one of the mandatory request to join questions "what's your forums username". Then doing a search on their post history before approving them, to make sure they're actually on SA.

But... I'm not the only admin in the group, and that might be going a bit too 1984 (even though the group was kinda thrown into my lap at one point - I was the only admin at one point).

There's entirely too many people in there vs how many active posters we have in here, it's very loving obvious a large chunk of the members aren't in AI (or on SA at all).. The random joins are almost nil now that it's a secret group, but still :tinfoil: I've had join questions in there for awhile, but people still blindly approve the requests. :sigh:

gently caress facebook. Start some new forums. Hosting can't be that expensive these days. Charge like 5 bucks or 10 bucks to join. Any overage after the monthly bill is due, put it to a charity in the name of the forums themselves.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
left over extra thick spaghetti sauce makes a mean poor mans sloppy joe in a pinch

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I was thinking about it earlier, I'm sure there's someone ready to take over SA if Lowtax fails to keep it up, I'd be surprised if SA disappeared from the internet. Even if it did we could start out own forum, gently caress Facebook.

also, these forums have gone downhill the last few years. people are too sensitive and most of the truly funny people left.

edit again: and if we do make our own forums, i want a cooking forum dedicated to only cheap, easy healthy meals for 2-3 people and creative ways to reuse leftovers in ways you may not have thought about before.

Tide fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 27, 2018

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BraveUlysses posted:

cause there arent like 100 blogs like that already?

There's a blog about anything.

But I'd trust what you guys say over some other dweeb that says "This is easy and tasty and cheap!!" then rattles off 10 obscure spices and ingredients that no normal or sane person has.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

He's steadfastly refused to do what everyone else did and now that everywhere else is poo poo garbage it's telling that something awful is still as good as it is. He still refuses to do a bunch of poo poo that would bring him money.
It isn't the forums that have strayed, it's the rest of the internet imho

I don't know about this. Forums participation as a whole is down. Most of the traditionally busy sites have suffered as a result of groups moving to facebook. It's easy to produce 'content'. Ad blockers hurt many sources of revenue for these forums as well as others. Forums used to be a place that you went to for very specific things. Now? There's a facebook group for it.

The other aspect is that a couple or three years ago (hell, maybe longer) this place got so toxic and so much of an echo chamber that Lowtax had to step in and remove moderators and put new ones in place that didn't automatically ban people for contrary to popular opinion posts. There was a good 6 months that if you weren't lock step with the hive mind, you caught a ban. You still can't make an off color joke in most subs without someone getting their panties in a twist and a moderator at least prob'ing you for a bit; AI being an exception. The whole somethingawful vs somethingserious (or somethingsensitive, I can't remember) hurt as well. Thing is, all forums end up leaning one way or the other. Whoever shouts the loudest usually runs off the opposition (and moderates because gotdang, they just want them to shut up.) The exception is probably reddit simply because there's something there for everyone and somehow they don't often intermix. Each retreats to their own echo chamber.

The thing about an echo chamber is it's hard to acknowledge you're on the side of one unless you have a decent amount of self awareness.

Surely, shortly, someone will come along and say "YOU'RE JUST MAD BRO CUZ YOU CAN'T SAY RACIST THING". That's not it at all. That said, I'll admit I probably have some what could be racist views colored (no pun intended) by experience, but I don't know if it's any different than my feelings of obese cottage cheese looking motherfuckers disgusting me to my core or worst, Notre Dame football fans. But we all have our biases.

And to be sure, people have just moved on. There's not been that 'thing' to bring people here.

That said, I can't imagine the hosting for this place is that expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BraveUlysses posted:

racist but only ~by experience~ :smuggo:

Everyone has viewed based on experience.

The difference between you and I, for example, is that I would take the time to find out why someone thinks the way they do rather than go in guns blazing shouting them down.

• Locked thread