Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, if anyone cares, I got the job I posted about in the last thread. I'm officially an INDUSTRIAL refrigeration tech now!
I fly out to their training place in about 2 weeks for a 3 week session. So this should be fun.

Been spending all day today doing all their training videos and tests. This is going to be an interesting experience based on what I've seen in the videos so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

iwentdoodie posted:

Congrats man. Other than abandoning the truck for selfish reasons, doing good. :v:

Got my plans for the next few weeks upended. Half/little sister is flying back from Japan the same weekend as the st Pete GP, so now I can't go to it :( Got my ticket for Sebring the next weekend, so all isn't lost, but still loving sucks.

Um excuse me it's not abandoning it, it's call building suspense thank you very much.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Being in FL is fun when it gets below 65 or so.
Everyone bundles up like it's a blizzard.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Wanna pet dat pupper.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'm gonna be on TV :buddy:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The r/Relationships thread is a good companion read as well, so you can see that even people who manged to get laid are just as broken!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, has anyone else had what they thought would be a dream job turn into a nightmare?

I took this job working in industrial ammonia refrigeration , thinking it'd be great, and id get to work on stuff that's super interesting., etc...
Only to find out apparently it really sucks. I've been here over a week, and haven't gotten any training in service. It's all been working in manufacturing.
The hours suck. 10hr mandatory days, 12 if you're in the field. . And it's working 17 days without a day off. A normal tour is 10. And you don't get to go home, you get to share a room in a lovely Days Inn. They don't even have a pancake printer for breakfast.

And if you quit while here you have to pay for the flight back. gently caress this was a mistake.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'm stuck here until the 29th.

The good news is, that I called the company I turned down in Vegas, and they said I'm still good to go there. So, I've got that lined up at least.

Also, I tried a local-ish beer here, Parkway Brewing company, and good God is that the single worst beer I've ever had. I almost threw up just from the taste.
Today is not my day evidently.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

quote="Darchangel" post="482419679"]
Where you promised training in service, or that you would be servicing ammonia refrigeration systems? If you were, I'd bring that up to the powers-that-be. At least make an attempt (if you haven't done so) to rectify what you thought was going to happen with management. If they're all bait-and-switch, GTFO. If you just didn't ask the right questions, lesson learned, I guess. Sucks, regardless.

edit: days and hours would still be rough.
[/quote]

Yeah, we were supposed to be training in service. I was told on the phone, and in the first meeting we had there, that we would be working one week in the shop, then be paired up to go out and start service training. Then after the first week they were like, well we're just gonna have you finish out the tour at the shop. So yeah, pretty sketchy IMO.

Also, I was told we could pick between having a 10 day tour schedule, (10 straight days working, 4 off) or working a Mon-Fri schedule. Them they came back and said that wouldn't be an option for me, I would have to take the 10 day schedule.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, I brought it up, but they just said it was due to being hard to schedule "Due to the weather"

But ether way, 12hrs a day, not being able to go home, and having to share rooms/cars is just not worth it either way
I'd rather just have a local job to maintain something of a good work life/work balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

DJ Commie posted:

A friend of mine from community college got into ammonia refrigeration and and makes great money and splits the 24/7 service job with 4 other guys and makes big six figgies. How do you mess every single part of that up?

Report them to your state labor board, especially if any of that is in writing.

Yeah, that's why I wanted to get into it. the money can be great, and the stuff they work on is super cool. Plus as a specialized part of the trade, Ammonia techs are always in demand, and you can generally get whatever you want.

But this company just seems to suck. I actually almost didn't go, I looked up employee reviews of the place and it was almost all negative. But, I figured, hey, it might just be bitter fired people or something, but no, it seems I should have listened.

• Locked thread