Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What about a free, government-supplied March chat thread. One that may be of lower quality, but covers everyone who qualifies for the shitposting assistance benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 1, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Alimony?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nowhere near the strip

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Gonna apply for the student loan next month.

It's been two years since 630, and I just had the second biggest jump:

Hnnnng

Not a brag. It's been a lot of putting most of the spare funds towards credit card or loan debt. I have absolutely zero late payments or charge-offs (I have literally never been late on a payment since turning 18). The score was so low due to utilization. The biggest jump was when I got that $8k when I sold the bus and simultaneously paid off a $3500 credit card and $2000 of Paypal Credit. Went from like 680 to 740 in one month.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Had my financial aid appointment yesterday. The short of it: if I quit work, I get 7-14k in grants. If I continue working, most likely no grants.

America :911:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Preach it, brother.
Sadly, that's nowhere near enough to make up for not working, even back in college when I was making a lot less. Even now, $7.50 full time is almost $16K/year. And if you quit working to use grants to pay for school, how do you pay rent and eat? It's all hosed up.

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah we need a major mental shift in this country, college should be public funded, with a food and housing stipend. Educated population makes the entire country better, and it even makes rich people richer.

Too bad half the country believes "skool makes libruls" and actively vote to hinder and dismantle what we have now, never mind incorporating new changes.

Yeah, I'm going to end up quitting and taking the grants. I'll get 650/month from the VA (one deployment - 50% GI bill coverage), and the grants will make up for the difference between that and rent/bills. Unfortunately I"ll still need to take out student loans, but it reduces my student loan load from 30k to 20k or less.

The most I'd be able to work is 3 days/month (4 week period), which is $500/month after 11% retirement contribution, and $360 after taxes. That's around $9k/year, which is more than the 7k/year in estimated grants. However, I can consider that as a $7k reduction in student loans, which would equal to about $1800 in deferred interest (making it close to the 9k), plus the free weekends for studying. Classes are 5 days a week.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So an Asiana supermarket just opened across the street from my new apartment, and they have milk for less than $2/gallon. I took this as a sign that I should only shop there from now on.

This morning I made the "sweet korean pancake" mix I bought last night. It had a yeast packet and a sweet filling mixed separately. They were good, but extremely heavy. Maybe I should not have eaten all eight of them? Oof owie my body

E: Even though I stopped drinking I now remember what beer shits are like, because this is exactly the same.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It was a disgruntled employee. Next!

Actually IDK.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
An Asiana market opened across the street. They're open until 9, so I hit them up after work (mainly to get cheap awesome flour and oil with Japanese and Korean (it's mixed in the store) labels on all my poo poo). I did find one liter of this for a massive $3 flat. Even though I'm not really drinking this year (I did have a few Guinness[es?] right before the move), I think you can see why I had to purchase it. Even if it just sits on a shelf.

It was in the unrefrigerated section.

Gritty mouth-feel. Why?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

glue.

edit: but what kind of glue. I'm surprised that these sophisticated taste elites can't elaborate on exactly what kind of glue it tastes/smells like. Do they mean cyanoacrylate, PVA (white), PVA (yellow/wood), construction adhesive, or something else. Though I'm not surprised that they know what glue tastes like, if you know what I mean.

I opened it just now. It smells like Titebond wood glue, and tastes the same. I don't detect ANY banana or whatever the gently caress.

Also yes it's gritty. What the gently caress?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My only experience at a Del Taco is trying to get a bite there while on shift between calls and a 2 year old at a family's table just completely swan-diving off their chair and landing on the floor head-first. The dad grabbed the child by the ankle and picked them up upside-down and yelled "WELL LOOK AT WHAT YOU DID YOU LITTLE rear end in a top hat!" and then thankfully my radio toned a call out so we could escape that situation, even before the food came.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh jeez it's actually starting to warm up in Phoenix.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

LloydDobler posted:

But I think he's kind of a dick for not splitting it with the friend who gave it to him.

gently caress that. I don't see why you should be pressured to split it. Yeah, sure, it may show what type of person you are (and your interpretations of that can vary), but there's no reason to be sour. You gave the ticket away - it's not yours anymore, and any winnings are up to the person who won it. That's the risk with gifting lottery tickets. If I'm looking for a dog and a friend gives me theirs because of circumstances or finds one for me at a shelter, then two months in the dog gets cancer, the friend isn't responsible for a portion of the pet bills.

When you're gifting an unknown, all possible outcomes (good or bad) are on the person that accepts the gift. That's what giving is. It's very difficult to read anything else without thinking it has a tinge of bitterness and petty thought.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I contest that if he won it, he's not an rear end for keeping it, even 100%. Again, difficult to read anything otherwise without thinking that someone is bitter. And that's placing myself in the shoes of the gifter, not the recipient. You give someone a lottery ticket and they win millions, unfortunately it is just kind of, like, "dang." Otherwise it just kind of looks needy or like a weird form of begging. A gift is a gift.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, entitlement is a word for it. People are entitled to many things. Health, happiness, freedom, sentience. All of that. The point of both a gift and a lottery is that it's a chance at something that you give up completely when you gift it to somebody else. That's the loving point. If I were to get a large winning, then hell yeah I'd be spreading that poo poo around after the appropriate counseling and financial management people took their cut, and after I took care of the most important person in the world (me, unless I had kids then kids, then me). But the people expecting something, whether or not they were the gifter, would undoubtedly be the first people I'd put on a "you get nothing" list.

If I was the one that gifted the ticket, I'd expect nothing different myself.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 10, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We are pals I had you confused with someone else. I turned off avatars a few days ago for work browsing :smith:. Sorry bud! Also I don't generally disagree with anybody wholeheartedly here, so it would have been in jest anyway.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, he's a dick for the dinner thing after bragging, no doubt. Not defending that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are some directors that, even if they make a flop, talent shows through the poor script (Spielberg). There are other directors that are poo poo in every single way, but sometimes the stars align and they crap out something that is excellent and unique and too good for this world (Duncan Jones).

That's what Moon is. Excellent and inconceivable that it came from the same guy that did Mute and the loving World of Warcraft movie.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah.

9/10 times it's a pulled muscle, .9/10 times it's a cracked rib. The other .1? drat son.

Yes I know it could be out of 100 for whole numbers but I committed to the joke.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

It's also in all likelihood illegal. Definitely for the headlights.

Do eeeeet!
MotionAutoTV's Project Haggard drift challenge CVPI was orange, and looked awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mgppX5LlII

Here's a different one:

That's pretty damned awesome. I enjoy the color.

It's either sad or a product of where I live, but when I see awesome-colored crown vics I generally think "donk," but then I saw the wheels on that one and was surprised and happy.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And I trusted you!

"The path of fruits and meats shall never cross, except for island-themed kebabs and it hot sauce"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If I wanted to advise someone to look guilty as poo poo, I don't think I could have come up with the actions of the past three days (including one hour ago). They are so perfect.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've had this Casio Wave Ceptor for like ten years now. It has a solar face so it never needs charging, and it's atomic so it sets automatically at midnight.

gently caress all other watches.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
...That's not a link to Clickspring...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Your acquaintances, as always, are amazing. My last longterm relationship ended for many reasons, but a big one for me was the fact we hadn't banged in 9months.

:same: for the longterm one (not the 2017 one, 9 years prior). There was a slew of mental health issues for both of us mixed in, too.

An aside:

These. These steps to the 2nd floor of my apartment bang against the wall when you walk up them.

My apartment isn't affected, it's a few units away. However, I use them every day to go up and down to my car, and I feel bad for the poor sap on the first floor that has to listen to "CLANG CLANG CLANG" from all the people. So, I did something about it.

Here's a prototype installed, to see if the design even had any validity.

I'm making a few more, with varying infill and thicknesses, to see if they'll work.

Yes, I know this isn't a proper or permanent solution, but the wall is already being eaten away by the banging steps. And yes, I know that some $2 wood shims would also work, but it's a lazy Saturday while I watch the country fall apart and I don't want to go out. Also, this side faces the sun, so attaching things to the building or using builder's silicone isn't acceptable either (and I wouldn't glue anything to the side of an apartment building I'm renting anyway).

Edit: the design does work, and has been installed for a few hours. The total thing is only 7mm "thick" and 80mm long, so it's not that noticeable. But the neutral ones (they're more tan than the photo shows - AWB messed that up) should be better. I'm going to arrange the "variety pack" I'm printing now along the stairs to spread the load. I know the photo is dark, but the stairs are 60mm thick concrete with two steel I-beam girders running underneath, and I'm kind of hoping the steel acts like a spring to keep pressure. Don't want to progressively pull the stairs from the building or anything.

E2: the ones I'm printing aren't ABS like the prototype. They're Ninjatek "Cheetah 95A" semirigid TPU, which should provide some cushioning while still remaining strong.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 18, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bajaha posted:

I just want to say you are a good person and the world needs more like you.

Thank you.

Must have lived in a similar situation at the receiving end? Psh, naw, I just get super annoyed by sound (wear earbuds every night, use earplugs to vacuum, got into constant fights as a kid with my sister when she scraped the bowl to get the last fruity pebble), and I had to think that it was/is super annoying to have these concrete steps bang against their wall. I'm also not a small guy and it's a semi-self-conscious thing when the stairs move because it's in tune with my steps (and I step heavy).

Or who knows and maybe it'll take them weeks to notice there is no longer any banging/noise because they're oblivious. That's okay, too.

(This is going to go off on a tangent now, skip unless you're really bored)
I'm pretty restless, with my living situation right now the absolute first time I have had to live on my own, ever. All previous living situations have involved other people, whether it be a girlfriend, roommates, parents, or barracks life. I'm sitting here on day one of five days in a row off, and I think tomorrow I may call in to see if I can work or something, because holy hell this is boring. I've been here three weeks now, and on my days off I've done the following:

Moved in (that was a glorious week, honestly, when it comes to "stuff to do")
Walked around the area to get a feel for the neighborhood, and driven the same.
Disassembled/reassembled the washer and dryer to clean the contacts and replace belts and filters and stuff
3D printed a ton of poo poo, because that requires calibrations and fiddly work
Purchased a 50-CD changer and bought some CD-Rs, and spent a day burning 50 CD mixes (because at 30, CDs are my "nostalgic" medium)
On two separate days, made food to bring into work (brownies and steamed pork buns)
Played a hell of a lot of Bayonetta and Splatoon 2
Watched The Frankenstein Chronicles S1 (it was good. Slow, but good)
Started doing push-ups again. gently caress you, Army, for making me think of doing push-ups when I'm bored. Probably going to be a goddamned lifelong thing. Exercise is always good I'll admit.

I can't wait for early April to hit, so I can apply for the student loan I need. You have to apply for them within 30 days of school, which starts May 7, so I have to wait. Once that's in the bag I think I'll sleep easier, because everything is difficult to focus on with that "unknown" looming. The program is 20 months long, but spans three academic years. If I can get 8k of loans, I'm good for the first two academic years. If I can get 10k, I'm good for all three. If I can get 14k, I'm still good for all three but I simultaneously have an emergency fund and/or a gigantic first student loan payment, or funds for post-school living if it takes a month or three to secure a nursing job. Until I know what I can get, or if I can get anything at all (no loan would mean I delay from the May program to the December program, or even next May, while building funds by working) I'm constantly panicking internally. My credit last month jumped to 793 but I'm still like "is that good enough? I don't know!" and working extra hours to pre-pay monthly bills just-in-case. Add to the fact that, if I can show that I quit my job before school starts, I may get another 3-10k in Pell grants, as I've talked about previously. But that means balancing "not telling my boss until the last minute," "maintaining a good working relationship with the Burn Center," and "quitting early enough to get the paperwork for that 30-day application window" and that doesn't jive with my internal schedule, which is "do everything as early as possible so you don't have to worry."

I mean, I buy the biggest dish soap bottle I can find, because when I get home I can put it under the sink and go, "Phew, don't have to worry about that for awhile," and literally sleep better that night.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
THE INSTALL IS COMPLETE.

I wedged my body on the stairs and pushed against the wall with my back to pop the stairs out and slide the wedges in. Currently, I can push around 400 on the leg press (but not actual squat, of course), so hopefully the stairs are popped out quite a bit more than they would be in normal usage.

I'll keep a mental note on how they hold up over the next few days/weeks, and if they stay put I'll call it a success. If they fall out or shuffle, I may consider a tiny drop of RTV or something similar, but hopefully not because I'm that lazy. I did test running up and down the stairs a few times and it seems pretty solid, esp for having 270lbs hopping up and down on each step.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
nice

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

I've always wondered what's the deal with eBay watches. Are they lovely counterfeits or are they just like the off-brand chinese OEM stuff that didn't pass Timex's QA with flying colours or whatever?

Almost 100% counterfeits, either run "at night" in the same factories with most-likely substandard materials and little-to-no QC, or complete knockoffs.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Huh, look at that. I suddenly don't give a poo poo about Roadkill or DED anymore, things which I cared a lot about for the past few years.

It's amazing the power a bullshit platform shift has.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Probably gonna get probated for :filez:, but: I really like the concept of Amiibo, but I hate the price and the fact that all of those little figures would take up valuable shelf space. I'm an adult, and toys are supposed to be "beneath" me.

Whoops.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2832426

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There is, it's called the N2 Elite, and it's a hundred dollars. There is a $20~ish one on Aliexpress, but you have to re-flash it for every different amiibo. The N2 lets you press a button to cycle through them, which could still be a pain when you have 25+ because there's no indicating display to let you know which one you have. The Action Replay one doesn't let you spoof amiibo, it lets you edit the data on the amiibo itself, which is the reason for a lot of the 1-star reviews on Amazon (people are confused as to what it does).

These cards were around $.40 each, so I did still spend $20-30 total on all 50 shown. But, that's the price of, like, 2 of the retail ones, so I'm content with that. This is also an exercise in what you can do with NFC/RFID cards - I learned quite a bit while doing this, and I got to make a new design to share, so it's a win/win for hobby/learning.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can NOT wake up today. Jesus loving christ. The only thing different last night was, instead of having my normal green tea, I took some "sleepytime" tea (the regular one, without valerian root) instead. Watched some forensic files, went to bed. Woke up at 6 AM to pee, was drat near wide awake even though it had only been five hours. Went back to sleep, woke up at 8:30, and I'm loving dead. Nearly fell over when walking the five feet to the bathroom. It's been two hours, and I just can't get into it. When showering I thought I was going to actually fall over at a few points.

Don't feel any illness, temperature seems fine. I don't feel "bad" at all when sitting, but standing is another story. I don't think it was the tea: that's just chamomile, lemongrass, and tilia, and I'm a firm believer that most "herbal" stuff is bullshit. I was just down to tea stocks and that was what I had left.

This feels exactly like what happens if I take a benadryl/diphenhydramine. Sure, it may clear up sinuses or whatever, but I'm completely destroyed the next day. I've done a few sets of push-ups to try to "get the blood flowing," but no dice. loving weird.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't watch any gaming channels anymore (it's been a few years), but I used to watch game grumps AND jontron. Jon was part of the crew that started GG, but he got pushed out/left a few years ago, and they have no associations anymore. He used to come up in conversations and do occasional guest stuff, but then he went full neo last year and they completely split. From what I've gathered in reddit (never go on reddit) comment chains and stuff, they don't really like him for his awful views, and even when he was a part of GG there were ideological differences that caused friction.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
THAT IS NOT WHAT IS IN SLEEPYTIME TEA

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Polygon, specifically either of the McElroys (sometimes even Travis shows up) is gold.

Keep in mind that Nick (not a McElroy) was just fired from Polygon for being a skirt-chasing misogynistic weeb, though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't watch Robbaz anymore, but every now and again YouTube recommends me his newest "cooking with the kock" videos, and they're good. He is one of the reasons I spent literally a thousand hours in KSP, though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
gently caress you, windows. I just wanted to watch some

GOD

drat

FORENSIC

FILES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Those are backup bedside glasses.

I dug this Surface 3 (non pro) out, hasn't been turned on since July. Fits perfectly wedged between my 3D printed cellphone holder and headphone holder. Figured I'd watch something in bed.

I remembered this tablet has a restart issue (doesn't restart on command, only shuts off, a restart command just stalls), which is why I got it cheap. Force restarting it at each stage fixed it, but ugh this update setup.

• Locked thread