Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Being married owns and I respect and love my wife too much to whine about dumb poo poo we argue about or what she does that drives me crazy on the internet where she doesn’t have the ability to share her side of the story or defend herself

Not that I think u guys are doing that rn since I skimmed

Also I forget if I posted it yet but there is a shitposter jr coming to a thread near you in 7 months and all signs point to this one sticking around unlike last time :D

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It hasn’t stopped raining or snowing in two weeks here

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i was on question 15 in HQ last night when i hosed up and said Yamaha instead of IBM >:(

e; maybe that was question 14?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KakerMix posted:

I think they look pretty good in silver, especially since that's the original color. If you go with black a lot of the details will be lost in most light. Silver might be boring but who else is driving Saabs around and how many of them have the inca alloys?

I had some original wheels for my Rugger that the previous owner had done up in black. I was going to finish them in black as well but instead I went back to the original white and they look much better. Black just swallowed up the details.

Before

After

I'd suggest going with something lighter in color rather than black.

Please tell me I can find one of these in the states oh my god

E oh it’s Daihatsu I think I can at least import one

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

....as you quote the guy who literally has an importing thread

Like I was about to post about smoking myself retarded and you manage to make me feel brilliant again.

i dont keep up with ai anymore so i wouldnt have known :saddowns:

KakerMix posted:

You're going to have to! We never got the turbo diesel LWB versions, just the Rockys.

Don't know if you've ever been but we have a Japanese import thread where a couple of us (really just Lord of Garbagemen and I) import various cars from Japan to the USA. I've gone from zero knowledge in how it all works to uh, way too many cars on the way. The intention is to sell them yeah but lmao if you don't fall in love with some of these.

I have that Rugger as my daily, we have a 1990 Toyota Crown wagon we imported as well for personal use and it's super excellent. Both of them were one owner cars and my wife and I are the second owners. :getin:

I've got some things on the way

1990 Lite Ace, gasoline 5 speed manual 4x4 with the Skylite Roof option

1991 Land Crusier Prado, 5 speed manual turbo diesel short wheelbase 4x4

1991 Land Cruiser, 5 speed manual diesel short wheelbase 4x4. Front and rear locking diffs with a 24 volt dual-battery system

and our greatest auction score

1985 Hilux Surf, 5 speed manual turbo diesel

Point is there is no reason to drive something boring and if you like tyte JDM rides you too can import weird and rad cars and drive them around yourself!

Nice! for some reason i thought that you lived in south africa, but drat am i gonna have to look around for some fun toys to import one day

e; gently caress i like that Hilux a lot

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 14, 2018

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think next year my wife is gonna let me import a fun car from Japan :3:

thanks to everyone for pointing me to Kaker's thread because omg I want an 80's hilux so goddamn bad

(or a GTR R32 but I reckon those will be mongo bux)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Import one from Canada.

Aren't those usually beaten to hell since they've been there for ten years (and like $15k)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

R32 GTRs have already been here for awhile, and approach 30k.

R33 comes next year, iirc.

holy moley rip

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KakerMix posted:

You can get an R32 GTR in ok condition for 11 grand or so at auction but the demand is sky (heh) high. That's what happens when you suddenly have the entire United States of America as potential customers to buy your car and everyone wants one. Just go look to see what people in the US are looking to get for their po-dunk GTS Skylines.
Depending on what your definition of 'fun' is though you can score some hilarious deals. My Rugger cost $2236 at auction, I paid $1960 for the Crown. We paid $6523 for the Hilux Surf but that's understandable, the only thing that competes with inflated prices like Skylines is the Hilux and Land Cruisers, especially when they are so choice. And the AZ-1.
You can pick up kei trucks for $150 bucks or so, vans for a bit more at around 450~ on the high end.

I would absolutely insist you import yourself though. It is by far the cheapest and you have the most control. If you don't want to bother with it that's fine but you are going to probably be paying a significant markup for the convenience of something already imported and titled. That's what I do but I'd expect most AI regulars would import themselves.

Yeah I would probably opt to import myself, mostly because at least the ones from Japan aren't going to be rust heaps like they are in Canada. It'd also be fun to grab something like an old ute from Oz or a JDM from the UK but I suspect those are going to be significantly more expensive + the importation process to be more difficult for ~*reasons*~

I'll have to do more digging when I'm closer to the possibility so I don't do a bunch of research, sit on it for a year, then have to redo it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Larrymer posted:

You know Japan is surrounded by saltwater, right?

ok they won't be as bad or something

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cakesmith handyman posted:

You start reading thinking it'll be funny or pathetic then quickly realise the internet was a mistake and some people deserve no better fate than to be ground up for fertiliser. Live.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i have an apple watch and it is extremely needs suiting plus it tells me the weather at a glance which is nice for when im trying to figure out if i need a coat or a jacket or a tanktop

today i wore a vest since the sun is warm at least :unsmith:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 17, 2018

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I played PUBG with an AI lurker last night and I never really realized how much information a person can soak up without feeling the need to :justpost:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Nah not a stalker, just someone who knew all the forums superstars and what everyone was up to

I think he was big gay dick or something like that but I forget his username

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Anyone know how the new STI’s are? I think I’m going to get a 2018 in a year or two since we’re gonna buy the missus a new car next month and imma drive her G6 until we’ve saved enough cash to buy me a car that I would like cash since we’ve been debt free and being able to stack paper and not have monthly payments owns so hard, plus may as well let someone else take the depreciation hit

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tide posted:

The first question asked, from the beginning of time, is 'What will make us money?'. And it's a fair question to ask. Nobody goes into any business as an altruistic endeavor. None of us are going to 'work' for free.

But when it skews to 'What is the greatest value for shareholder value?' instead of the focus being a great or even good product or service is where it loses any steam with me. Having been in the corporate world for far too loving long, when the all knowing board of directors or even your immediate manager thinks that simply cutting OPEX is a means of increasing revenue, rather than investing in people or whatever, you're in trouble. You can downsize your way into bankruptcy, or worse, irrelevancy.

That said, I bet every one of us uses ad block or similar. We've kind of done this to ourselves. But at the same time, every loving pop up and autoplay video deserved it.

TLDR You can own a business and make money and not be a greedy gently caress

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dozer is now 40lbs at around 16wks

He is beginning to learn the art of counter surfing and it’s driving me bananas

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It is going to take at least 50 years and a significant overhaul of the entire US infrastructure before we see self-driving cars being used for more than replacing truckers and taxis in big cities

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

Whole side of my mother's family is like that. We all went as an extended family on holiday one time and the elevator could only take 3 of us at a time since hey big irish dudes.

Only ones who made fun of me being 6ft

so are you 9ft tall now or

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Nah it's cool. I live(d) in CA. I was the minority.

:qq:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

White people experiencing what the rest of america deals with their entire lives is hilarious, especially when they think whining about how ITS NOT FAIR NOBODY SHOULD TREAT ME THIS WAY WAHHHHH is going to yield them any sympathy from anyone other than other white people

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Sure is pretty woke in here.

Oh hey Ozmiander how are u sleepyhead

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I didn’t realize that dealing with racists using dog whistles itt was a political matter instead of fuckin awful shitposter issue so idk why adi is trying to pass the buck on this one

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

It's not "this dude's a piece of poo poo because he doesn't agree with me", it's "this dude has a pattern of varying levels of racist shitposting and it's ripping a hole in the community unabated".

this

also

Adiabatic posted:

but he was responding to nm's post about race with his own view and y'all jumped on him about it. Easiest way to make sure that doesn't happen is to ban the practice of talking about politically charged issues, but I want y'all to be able to do it, so be adults about it please.

See this is the "your opinion is super wrong and therefore you're subhuman" poo poo I'm talking about.

Quit being emotionally charged about issues or don't respond to issues.

his view is literal dogwhistle racism, it's not some political point that separates the conservatives from the liberals, it's not something that congress argue about, it's purestrain "this is how fellow racists identify each other without using the n-word"

my post is naturally "your opinion is super wrong and therefore youre subhuman" because it was a loving racist post

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

One of the cool + good things about AI is that it's not like the normal automotive forums filled with lonely old men spouting equal parts good info and awful opinions. When I first came here, I had a few lovely opinions, shared them, and was probed for them by IOC and because of that I decided to do some research and think about things from the perspective of other people. I also grew up a lot and went from being this dumb middle class kid with relatively wealthy parents to being a young married kid who suddenly didnt have any sort of disposable income and lived off of rice and lentils and curries for 2 years before me and the missus graduated and got full time jobs, and it made me think about the fact that I was incredibly fortunate and privileged that I wasn't stuck in that position for the rest of my life because I had the opportunity to go to uni and get a degree in a field that is in high demand and that there were people all over america who needed help with their day to day just to survive. I also learned a bunch of other things that I should have known as part of being a decent person, but unfortunately I didnt think of because i was in a position of privilege and refused to recognize it because i was a big dumbass. The start of me being "woke" is directly related to me posting itt, calling things that i thought were stupid "gay" and talking about what some minority did with their money, and getting called out and probed over it and realizing that i was a lovely human being who needed to change and grow the gently caress up.

So while i'm not happy at all that the people calling out racism yesterday were probed because we were "making GBS threads on a political opinion", as if the way someone treats and talks about another group of people is now a political issue, while the person who said racist things got off free, I am happy that I have a probe for saying something racist in 2012 and a probe for yelling at a mod for not handling racism in 2018. at least i have proof that I've grown up at least a little, even if some of you would argue i'm just some dumbfuck SJW REEE'ing in the chat thread and it's not much better.

i like most of you guys and I only still post itt sometimes because you guys are cool, unlike most of the gearheads that I have been exposed to, and I consider many of you my friends. i'm not going to stick around if lovely people with lovely opinions are allowed to dogwhistle here just because they didnt explicitly say "ya i'm from california and i was surrounded but a bunch of sp**s! i was the minority!!"

love you guys

in the words of applebees appetizer so many years ago,

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 22, 2018

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheDIYcrafts/status/967075627470798848

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

too bad IoC stepped down as moderator, this is what we get

https://i.imgur.com/lTF42Cg.mp4

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m in LA and I never want to leave holy poo poo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

nm posted:

Man, Michigan must be loving awful then.

Unless you're talking about the food or car museums.

I haven’t really explored much of the US as an adult and I forgot what having constant sunshine was like

For instance, I forgot that in a good state 65F feels significantly warmer than it does in Michigan where the sun doesn’t shine

Rhyno posted:

TT lives close to the Detroit Metro. I think literally anywhere else is a step up.

Yeah I’m about 8 miles from Detroit and 14 from downtown. It’s pretty ok but the more I experience LA the more I think it’s not what I’ve convinced myself it is

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Have a Dozer pic

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

That's because everyone hits the same dumb tourist poo poo in LA. It's an awesome city with so much to do, see and experience that it's honestly overwhelming.

Plus you skipped out on the best goddamn restaurant.

We’ve spent most of our time in West Hollywood and santanmonica so lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

I don't buy this, I drove from Phoenix to my house on the west side of Los Angeles on a sunday afternoon in 4 hours and 51 minutes once and that included stopping for gas twice, and Phoenix is at least 30 miles outside the city limits of Los Angeles.

Almost as if the people who go to the right places in LA find LA to be very amenable and the ones who go to Disney and the Ripley's Believe it Or Not! Museum don't. Keep doing it right, glad you're enjoying some of this amazing weather that Rhyno missed out on. He also missed out on Mario's because his wife is afraid of the word seafood....

Venice Beach and Manhattan beach also own, god drat

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

RIP the forums, running off lowtaxes retirement money

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m glad that racists can’t help but out themselves lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Today we chilled in Manhattan beach and Venice beach

Someone please share the secret to uprooting your life and moving 2000mi away to sunshine and happiness

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Alternatively, just do it?
I'm saying this totally outside of knowing anything at all about you but like, if you really want to move then you totally should move. If the end result is happiness then no matter what you do to get there would have been worth it.

It’s more of convincing the missus it’s worth it, she’s happy most of the year in Michigan except for when it’s cold and she has to go outside, and since her family is nearby it’s a win for her. Most of my family is not nearby and I don’t really care about them as much so it’s easier for me to split.

It’s never very sunny no matter what season it is and it gets to be quite depressing. My only concern is making sure our quality of life would be the same, which means we would need to make roughly $250k/yr in CA, and I think we would best case make around $200k which means we’d live in a closet or 2hr from work :rip:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I remember thinking Norway was depressing with all the snow and dark and 24hr days of dark and then I moved to Detroit after living in Wollongong

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Well yeah those places are neato, get the nice beach temps, and this is literally going to be the most ideal couple weeks of beautiful weather all year. I'm going camping in the middle of a SoCal desert this week because it will be incredible, even out there. Figure out where you could realistically afford to live inland (SFV or Anaheim or whatever), and come back in august and spend a week there, driving the commute you'd be driving. Be sure to not run A/C for a couple of days to simulate peak-demand power outages!

Glad you're having fun, how much longer are you in town? Doing any more touristy stuff?

also obligatory gently caress off, we're full mate

Yeah I was thinking about going inland to see how she likes it and how much more affordable it is. The big question mark for me is how much will I make, since it seems the average for swengs is only slightly higher than back home but with 1.75x higher COL and housing that’s about 4-8x higher. The missus being a nurse can work anywhere and wouldn’t have to take her boards again, which is nice.

But yeah nah we might hit the Venice beach boardwalk after spending today in downtown Manhattan beach and Venice beach just walking and chilling on the beach. We also found a really really good church that I actually enjoyed which is super important for us and straight up the church by itself is a great reason to move here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Bro people work at Costco for life. Costco is how capitalism is supposed to be done.

100% this

They’re amazing to work for

• Locked thread