Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

BigPaddy posted:

Since it stayed above freezing for more than 24 hours it is time to break the Challenger out of hibernation and yes driving it after 4 months of pickup truck does make it feel like my arse is on the floor.

Its cold as balls in the UK at the moment. I've just dragged the electric heater from my garage into the house as it appears to have reached -2C inside part of it today (i've got a single storey uninsulated and unheated extension). Its quite interesting how there was ice in the sink, yet the bottled water I have in there stood next to the pipes on the floor is still liquid.

bolind posted:

Oh yeah one of those days. Just hook me up to the amphetamine IV. One in each arm please.

In other news, we formally sold our condo today, and the seller liked it so much he paid for it twice! So if anyone need seed capital for tires or that Snap-On box you've been eyeing, hit me up before they realize.

Nice. Bank error in your favour. Though if I were you I would keep an eye out for them managing to now re-claim it twice and leave you massively overdrawn!

:siren: WARNING chat thread toll booth 2 posts ahead :siren:

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

ilkhan posted:

I feel so lied to.

Fortunately it is not possible to pay too much catte tax so by trying to pay early you have made the world a better place.

However, your submitted catte, while clearly a very floofy boy is not pictured :siren: in a car :siren: as instructed so you just saved yourself from the slothhammer for incorrect toll payment.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

That's an American term, it doesn't actually mean anything to me. Is it like maintenance, basically paying living expenses after divorce?

Because if so, I return to a very blunt why?

I had to look up the meaning of the word alimony too. What a stupid concept.
I understand splitting the current household assets if you divorce and I understand ongoing child maintenance/support but “alimony” is stupid.

I hope that lawyer does good stuff for you Everdave

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cakesmith handyman posted:

Co-worker called me last night to say he can't get in to work this weekend to sort his contractors because snow. Guess who's getting 35 hours of pay this weekend?

:negative: it's me, I'm working 7 days a week because I want the money.

Hilariously the guy who can't come in has a 4wd with snow tyres, I've a 60hp 2wd rollerskate with rain tyres but the snow didn't hit us as hard.

Your man isn’t stuck, he just wants the weekend off work!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Haha - I just got a parking fine through for someone else's car which is 1 letter away from the registration plate number of my car from a company who have a really poo poo ANPR system.

There is even photographic proof included showing their car which is also a different make, model and colour to mine.

I was about to fill in the online appeal form with 'look at the picture you idiots, that is not my car' when I noticed that this fine is 1 day off being 6 months old.

UK goons - is there a limit on these things? Should I wait a few days to appeal and try and save the actual owner of the car £60?

Ferremit posted:

It hasnt rained here for nearly a month, I've got roughly 10,000L of water left in my water tanks and they arent predicting any appreciable rainfall till MAY.

Im gonna have to actually BUY water :(

Stop wasting water and that should do you till May! ;)

(I've just checked my bill and over the last 165 days I used an average of 120 Litres per day, which means that I could do 83 days on 10,000L)

What do you get charged for Water in Aus? (its £1.40/1000L in the UK to supply + £1.20/1000L for them to take it away again)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

There might well be - I believe it's in the Protection Of Freedoms Act schedule 4.

"Where a contravention is detected remotely (such as by cameras), the landholder may request registered keeper data from the DVLA immediately and must write to the registered keeper within 14 days seeking details of the driver or payment of the parking charge."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...parking-charges

But may be best to play it straight with the "not my car, you chimps".

Oh, I’m definitely going to do the appeal like that.

That 14 day limit in the docs is how long they get to query the DVLA. Not how long they have to chase you, though 6 months is a bit unreasonable!

I actually sold the car in question 5 1/2 months ago too (and I know the keeper change then as I got the tax refund).

You get 14 days to appeal. I might as well drag it out so that when they resend it to the correct owner it is over 6 months and they can pursue that if they feel inclined.
If I can lose the parking twats £60 I’ll be happy :)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

poo poo, most of you guys are bastards. If one of my mates gave me a lottery ticket and it won I’d split it.
The other week I went out with a couple of mates. We were in the pub and drinking rounds. When it came to my round I got an extra free pint through a bartender error in my favour. We split the extra pint 3 ways.
I’d treat a gifted winning lottery ticket in the same way.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

This is my yellow saab:

I have a set of 'inca' allow wheels to go on it, like the ones in this picture:

I am about to get the wheels refurbished and powder coated

I am thinking about getting them done a different colour because silver is boring, but i'm not totally sure what to go for. I'm tempted by black or gunmetal grey but I've never seen these wheels in any other colour before in person so i'm not sure what it will look like. Has anybody got any suggestions?

Here's one I GIS'd which appears to be black and silver:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Late toll payment for this page...

InitialDave posted:

Get a can of E-Tech "technic grey" off Ebay and try that:

Excuse the masking, I covered the areas I was going to polish, but it's a nice mid-grey metallic.

I think I'd like to go darker than that. They are all proper manky and need stripping and some kerb rash repair before I can do anything with them too.

This place in Stoke want £45/wheel + VAT for refurb (acid dip,media blast, repair and power coat). Their "Dark Anthracite" looks like the option other than satin black

Goober Peas posted:

I like your yellow Saab. Does it have the alligator clamp safety belts?

Yep :)

It doesn't look that shiny at the moment (or have a working engine) but i'm just sorting the wheels out in advance as I'm swapping all my wheel stock around

edit:

KakerMix posted:

I think they look pretty good in silver, especially since that's the original color. If you go with black a lot of the details will be lost in most light. Silver might be boring but who else is driving Saabs around and how many of them have the inca alloys?

I had some original wheels for my Rugger that the previous owner had done up in black. I was going to finish them in black as well but instead I went back to the original white and they look much better. Black just swallowed up the details.

Point taken that black does lose the details of the wheel. I've gone black on my landrover wheels (which were originally very similar to your Rugger white wheels but much rustier)

Most of the people still driving these Saabs now do have inca alloys fitted (or the minilites as it currently has) and they all seem to be silver.

I'm not going for original on this car! It was the base model poverty spec which is now a non-original colour, has the wrong interior, is about to get the wrong engine and has had the boot floor cut out and raised in order to swap the petrol tank for an LPG tank!

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 14, 2018

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Pizza is required to have pineapple and this is the hill I am prepared to die upon

You are not alone on this hill! Every Pizza should have Pineapple on it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Seminal Flu posted:

If you're a horologist, or even have a passing interest in mechanical things, you need to see this (if you haven't already):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGPjFFMD3c0

I now understand why watches can cost so much. That many tiny moving parts is pretty drat cool but just reinforces my view that digital watches are a much better idea!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

You might risk getting a woodie.

He's already said that he isn't going to be a traveller down to the show...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I subscribed to motor trend for a while and found the app perfectly usable?

I find the YouTube site to be loving awful and hate their stupid recommendation system (just let me group channels and watch the content I want rather than what YouTube wants to recommend to me) and with their constantly changing revenue system I can see why people want to move away.

However the region lockout on the motortrend site was poo poo when I had it. 75% of the stuff it had on was listed but would then say ‘not available in your country’ when you clicked on it.

I am working away from home tomorrow so decided to leave home this afternoon and stay in a hotel on the motorway 2/3rds of the way there rather than leave at 4am and hit rush hour traffic.

Of course there was an accident on the entrance to the services where the hotel I booked is at and the police also closed the service road for their access (which is also a legit hotel entrance) so I’ve had to spend 2 1/2 hours waiting to be able to get in.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Kids are dicks

Just online ordered 3 different sized tyres with mounting and balancing from a chain tyre place (I’m gonna rock up with 2 loose wheels in the back)

I’m not sure what the likelihood of what I ordered correctly turning up is and if it does how much they are gonna bitch about fitting 1 tyre on my car (its going with an existing matching tyre with about 6mm tread left)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Holy crap it's an entire genre of not only videos but hobbies that I didn't know existed!

I also like that he's using a hard drive platter as the lazy suzan table.

That guy came up in my suggested videos all the time on youtube so i subscribed a while back. My dad bought me an airbrush kit for christmas (he'd been using one to refurbish dashboard parts on his Morris) so I'm gonna restore one of my old toy cars with it one day! Might actually finish that project car...

• Locked thread