Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have a defective cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beverly Cleavage posted:

this will never improve/change. sorry.

Disagree - I mean it's still a pressure on things but when they're older and have a more predictable sleep schedule, you can work around it.

InitialDave posted:

That's an American term, it doesn't actually mean anything to me. Is it like maintenance, basically paying living expenses after divorce?

Because if so, I return to a very blunt why?

In the best-case scenario, it makes it possible for someone to get out of an abusive situation where for any number of reasons, they are fully financially dependent upon the abuser. Between our social safety nets being nonexistent and a system set up around old ideas of single-income households, it would effectively put some people into choosing to stay in a bad relationship, or choosing to be homeless.

Of course, like most institutions in this country, it gets abused and manipulated on a regular basis.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trouser chili posted:

My thread on the ITR timing failure fell into the archive while I waited for weather. Anyone know if they can be reopened?

Here's my timing cover.

Unfortunately, no, once a thread is archive locked, it's done. :justpost:

Also, ugh that sucks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seminal Flu posted:

California is spectacular. But the people ruin it.

Both in mentality and in quantity. The sheer volume of traffic / lines / demand for *everything* in the Los Angeles area is maddening.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

Are you suggesting he becomes a camwhore?

If the nipple pasties fit...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, you're not entitled to jack or poo poo if you give someone a gift that turns out to be worth a hell of a lot of money.

On the other hand, the recipient is still a bit of a dick for bragging about a quarter million dollar win, while making a point to tell you he didn't give anything back / asking you to split the check. If six figures showed up in my lap because of someone else, I could afford to buy at the very least a few nice dinners.

Otherwise, keep it 100% to yourself.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I caught the St Pete race on TV, because this is how I spent my Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv8sYAEzt6s

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sounds like a combination of the Coke lot and the Snake Pit at Indianapolis.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Most loan terms stop improving after 740. I'd say you're fine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Spotted on a license plate today: 0X45H

nice

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I can understand why they're doing it, but it's definitely going to kill their momentum. Maybe they feel they've already plateaued? I dunno.

This bit at the end of Freiburger's FB post about it is somewhat telling:

quote:

As you react to this news, please separate your feelings about company decisions from your comments about us hosts. Personally, I’m sad that Roadkill will no longer be available to those of you who can not afford a subscription—especially the kids who we’ve inspired to become car people. However, we hosts and producers still love what we do and we are lucky to do it and we want to continue making great shows. The best message you can send is to keep the original Motor Trend shows on top by continuing to watch on MotorTrend.com, even if you do it for free.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeesh, no poo poo.

I mean, I can't blame them. There's no way the reaction to this is positive.

But I'm going to focus on the real big news here:

Dulcich with his hair down.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No poo poo. loving hell, dude.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seminal Flu posted:

This thread is so binary and judgemental, both in politics and current events.

In that Uber video, there is less than one second from the first frame you can see the pedestrian until impact. It happened in the dark shadows adjacent to a really strong street light. The pedestrian was wearing a dark top, that could have happened to anyone. To say "IR should have picked it up, :hurr: " is ignoring a lot of the circumstances -- where was the pedestrian right before the accident? If they had been laying on the ground, there could have been a minimal pattern due to the dark clothing being the same temperature as the surrounding area... and a "regular" driver drat sure isn't driving with IR optics, aggressively scouring every inch of the road for possible vagrants crossing the road at every instant...

The bike had no reflectors.

You've come a long way. And make some good points.

The only issue with the Uber footage is that the camera has balanced itself on the brightest part of the areas lit up with headlights. Your eyes are better than a dashcam when it comes to dealing with a wide range in brightness.

A person whose literal job is safety driver should have easily seen at least *something* in the road. Not necessarily enough to identify it as "pedestrian with bike" but enough to start slowing down.

Case in point - this guy was wearing dark clothes, no reflectors, but I could still see something in the road before the dashcam picks it up, giving me one less fatality than Uber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n9tDlnke2s

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 22, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seminal Flu posted:

It's easy to armchair QB this stuff, but there's got to be some realization that every situation is different, and we are not always as "ON" as we may like to think. Two years ago I hit a deer. It didn't materialize out of nowhere, it came from the woods on the left side of the road, along with up to half a dozen if its buddies. The first one fully cleared the car, I got the second one dead-nuts on. I was driving my family, I was not being inattentive, but it was dark and I somehow missed this group of animals running across my path. If I had a dash cam, you'd probably be able to see them before I hit the brakes in real life. However, I didn't see them until it was too late.

What I'm saying is that there are always going to be circumstances that you can explain away later, but we are fallible, and there are always going to be accidents... robot drivers or human drivers.

I get it, and I'm not arguing from the position that these cars need to be flawless before they start truly taking over. Once they're better than the worst human drivers, we all start benefiting from automated cars.

But in this specific case, we've got video showing that this was both a best possible case to avoid what happened - straight road, pedestrian was about to leave the street instead of just entering it - and an abject failure of Uber's systems to detect the pedestrian, along with a driver who was literally looking down for five whole seconds.

I agree that if this had been a regular car, with no in-car footage, there would probably be no case. Here, that in-car footage is probably going to gently caress that driver.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tide posted:

across a highway

That's a surface street with a speed limit between 35 and 45. It looks a bit like a divided highway, but it's just Mill Avenue northbound somewhere north of the bridges and south of Washington / Curry.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

The uber car was going 38 in a 35 zone.

Yup. I actually ended up taking that same stretch of road just now on the way to work. It's a 35 zone on Mill all the way from Rio Salado to Curry.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mekilljoydammit posted:

I don't know the situation of the victim. If there's an insurance company involved, it 100% will end up with a wrongful death suit aimed at Uber; I know that there's a bunch of attorneys who've been sharpening their knives waiting for this. If there's not it'll probably end up getting settled.

Criminal charges is the more interesting question.

Victim is supposedly homeless, no idea if there's any surviving-but-estranged family to take up lawsuits on her behalf.

EEVBlog has his take:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjeR13u74Mg

slidebite posted:

Any of you guys do a webinar with gotomeeting.com?

I might be attending one next week, but I need to record the streaming video. Is it possible to do that?

I don't recall anything built into the app but I'm certain you could fake it well enough with any sort of screen capture software. There are mobile gotowebinar apps too, so it could perhaps even be easier to view the webinar on your phone and run a screen recording app on it at the same time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Enourmo posted:

Overheard in my machine design class: "Nah, 1/4 mile drag racing is bullshit, you just need the most horsepower. 1/8 mile is where the real competition is."

Is this a common attitude? Personally I hold that more speed = better than.

Having run 1/8 mile-only for the first time at Zip Tie drags earlier this year... gently caress that give me the full quarter.

It does put a little more emphasis on traction and launch ability, and a little less on aero and top end power. But outside of comparing wildly different vehicles (big draggy truck vs small sports car) or a car prepped specifically for the 1/8, a car will do about as well in the 1/8 as it will in the 1/4 compared to other vehicles. A quarter mile is still a standing start, and the first 60' still has a huge impact on the remaining 1260'.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Having (unfortunately) been tasked with running a couple of webinars through it, if they're actually using the GoToWebinar instead of the regular GoToMeeting, the default settings prevent most of that bullshit by automuting everyone who isn't the presenter.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well this doesn't look good for Uber, apparently they altered the video, shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=61&v=1XOVxSCG8u0

Can any AZ goons confirm this?

Yes, that's legit, but I don't necessarily go to altered video. That video looks just like it came from a crappy camera that balanced on the headlight area only - whatever phone that person filmed with definitely has a better dynamic range.

Also the accident happened south of Washington/Curry so I don't know why they bothered continuing north.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 23, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

That's filmed on a cellphone, at night, with some light and other objects in the foreground. Unless he's secretly using his brights or the phone camera he's recording on is better than what Uber uses on its most important investments, that is pretty damning

Any high end smartphone is going to have a better sensor, more processing power, and far better software, than any dashcam on the market. While Uber certainly could develop their own HDR capable dashcam, I'm sure they just use something commercially available because money.

Edit: description says Pixel XL, which is one of the best smartphone cameras out there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Sorry, I tried to visit LA yesterday when you guys started talking about it but I'm still stuck in tomorrow's rush hour traffic 20 miles outside of the city limits.

I swear it seems like Phoenix traffic is starting to creep up on it. Not in terms of rush hour, perhaps, but more in that now there's a decent chance of heavy slowdowns in offpeak hours too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku42Iszh9KM

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unless you REALLY want to rebuild heads for the sake of it, seriously consider just junking those heads. Old SBC heads that aren't LT-1 heads are largely utter poo poo, and the cost of a rebuild is very similar to the cost of a set of vastly superior L31 heads. The only downsides with L31s are the intake manifold compatibility, and the small valve spring seats that need to be cut to handle high lift cams.

You also need to switch to center bolt valve covers, but that's honestly a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

April thread posted: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853210&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

• Locked thread