Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Seminal Flu posted:

Together =/= married. You have so much to learn.

I'm all for ripping on Rhyno because it's fun, easy, and good for the soul, but I'll never understand statements like these. What exactly is marriage vs. being together?

I get that I'm far from a traditional sort of guy and an usually surprised when people just say things (women love to shop/how about that sports game/millenials :argh:) until I remember that I'm the odd one out, but marriage is nothing. It's a business contract, a legal thing, it's a for-law statement that has nothing at all to do with ~love~ or emotion or anything of the sort. When I see people go 'heh marriage is super cereal' I'm confused every time. Then again I'm not very traditional and that might be everything.

If I were to respond to my above statement I'd probably smuggly go "HEH U DON'T EVEN KNOW" and then I'd shrug and just mumble something about old people, probably. :) :) :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I intentionally left out the part where I've been with the same person for 13 years and married for 6. In my case there was no difference at all from being married vs not being married. We had already did far more important and trustworthy things with each other (buying a house and sharing bank accounts) so marriage was nothing. imagine our surprise when we learned that the whole name change thing wasn't included in marriage, it's a totally separate thing and it baffled both of us as to why people do it, poo poo is a pain in the rear end!

Like I said though I'm far from a traditionalist in any capacity so of course I'd get all :argh: about it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I guess I'll cover the toll

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

rdb posted:

EIC is a lot more than $1500. Its not tax avoidance, its getting a large amount back that you never put in. The anecdote about his sister getting $7k back, she may have only put in $1k to begin with. The rest of her “refund” is actually earned income credit. It may have been a little fraudulent in her case since the children’s father was paying all the bills. Its usually reserved for people who file as “head of household” IE single parent.

Full disclaimer, I don’t mind paying my taxes. I don’t mind welfare or the people that receive it.

The only reason I survived as a child was because of welfare. Now look at me, buying too many Toyotas!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Classic Start Menu is what fixed Windows 10 for me. It's still a garbage fire of design but eh.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tomarse posted:

This is my yellow saab:

I have a set of 'inca' allow wheels to go on it, like the ones in this picture:

I am about to get the wheels refurbished and powder coated

I am thinking about getting them done a different colour because silver is boring, but i'm not totally sure what to go for. I'm tempted by black or gunmetal grey but I've never seen these wheels in any other colour before in person so i'm not sure what it will look like. Has anybody got any suggestions?

Here's one I GIS'd which appears to be black and silver:

I think they look pretty good in silver, especially since that's the original color. If you go with black a lot of the details will be lost in most light. Silver might be boring but who else is driving Saabs around and how many of them have the inca alloys?

I had some original wheels for my Rugger that the previous owner had done up in black. I was going to finish them in black as well but instead I went back to the original white and they look much better. Black just swallowed up the details.

Before

After

I'd suggest going with something lighter in color rather than black.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Please tell me I can find one of these in the states oh my god

E oh it’s Daihatsu I think I can at least import one

You're going to have to! We never got the turbo diesel LWB versions, just the Rockys.

Don't know if you've ever been but we have a Japanese import thread where a couple of us (really just Lord of Garbagemen and I) import various cars from Japan to the USA. I've gone from zero knowledge in how it all works to uh, way too many cars on the way. The intention is to sell them yeah but lmao if you don't fall in love with some of these.

I have that Rugger as my daily, we have a 1990 Toyota Crown wagon we imported as well for personal use and it's super excellent. Both of them were one owner cars and my wife and I are the second owners. :getin:

I've got some things on the way

1990 Lite Ace, gasoline 5 speed manual 4x4 with the Skylite Roof option

1991 Land Crusier Prado, 5 speed manual turbo diesel short wheelbase 4x4

1991 Land Cruiser, 5 speed manual diesel short wheelbase 4x4. Front and rear locking diffs with a 24 volt dual-battery system

and our greatest auction score

1985 Hilux Surf, 5 speed manual turbo diesel

Point is there is no reason to drive something boring and if you like tyte JDM rides you too can import weird and rad cars and drive them around yourself!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tide posted:

That is just bad rear end.

Probably goes zero to 60 between now and sometime in the next century (not that you would want to go fast in it) but it's still bad rear end.

It doesn't seem slow to me but the top comfortable speed is about 65 mph. I dunno maybe it's my perception since it's a noisy loud thing that requires a bit of concentration to drive vs. the Crown which I'll doze off while cracking 90.

Bajaha posted:

Black plasti dip was the worst trend. So many cars with lovely matte black wheels running around that would look great ok at least otherwise.

People need to learn how to embrace colour, or other shades.

Also - screw really smoked or tinted taillights, doubly so for headlights. A very light smoke to bring the red tone down a touch can look fantastic. The black taillights that look like you have a tiny birthday candle illuminating them when lit, not so much.

Blacked out badges seem to make cars look really cheap these days.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Anyone know about race cars and if this one is a "real" one?

Nissan Pulsar GTI-R, looks like (to my ignorant eyes) it is a GTI-RB model or maybe even a Nismo version because of the LSD?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

holy moley rip

You can get an R32 GTR in ok condition for 11 grand or so at auction but the demand is sky (heh) high. That's what happens when you suddenly have the entire United States of America as potential customers to buy your car and everyone wants one. Just go look to see what people in the US are looking to get for their po-dunk GTS Skylines.
Depending on what your definition of 'fun' is though you can score some hilarious deals. My Rugger cost $2236 at auction, I paid $1960 for the Crown. We paid $6523 for the Hilux Surf but that's understandable, the only thing that competes with inflated prices like Skylines is the Hilux and Land Cruisers, especially when they are so choice. And the AZ-1.
You can pick up kei trucks for $150 bucks or so, vans for a bit more at around 450~ on the high end.

I would absolutely insist you import yourself though. It is by far the cheapest and you have the most control. If you don't want to bother with it that's fine but you are going to probably be paying a significant markup for the convenience of something already imported and titled. That's what I do but I'd expect most AI regulars would import themselves.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Its difficult to fake a GTi-R so highly unlikely. LSD could be aftermarket going by the LOLsome cage and seats

Interior looks to be low rent enough to be a RB. Very unlikely to be a Nismo

Yeah I can't figure it out easily. It's a real GTi-R sure but is it one of the fancy ones? :iiam:

Worth something to someone! I'll report back the price if/when it sells in a few days.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Larrymer posted:

You know Japan is surrounded by saltwater, right?

You'd have to go out of your way to import something from Japan that's all rusty and be caught unaware when you go pick it up at port. The auction/export system, on top of their shaken requirements means that if there is rust on a car, you will know about it before you bid/buy it. Suppose you could somehow buy something like that at a dealer within Japan but since a dealer would service Japan itself then the shaken makes it so that's much less likely. I'm sure it's possible to import a mars-like chassis but not nearly as easy as here in the states.

FOR INSTANCE I was going to bid on this Rugger

Mileage is listed as 92000 km. When we sent an inspector out to look at it he saw that it had a timing belt sticker indicating the belt had been changed, this is good. The sticker was from 2006 and said "100454 km", this is bad. Looks like the 5 digit odometer had rolled over once. That discrepancy ended up pulling the Rugger from auction. It might show up later with the addendum "mileage not verified" on it's sheet, or might not.

The Door Frame posted:

And they salt their roads, but looking at Jeeps, they have significantly less rust than their USDM counterparts

From everything I've seen they don't actually salt their roads everywhere, or even in most places. I've read that some prefectures use de-icing compounds. I've got a few friends in the Tokyo area and they don't usually see accumulating snow. I do know that a whole bunch of cars I'm looking at right now will come with stud-less tires (aka winter tires) with the summer ones in the back. I don't live there though so who knows. I just know that it is difficult to buy something rusty and not know about it.

McTinkerson posted:

Another thing about JDM cars, and I'm not sure if KakerMixs thread ever touched on (apologies, if so), is that Japan is a densly populated country. Every car has door dings and the front and rear bumpers are all scratched and dented. So much so that half of all the JDM FD's that I've seen in Canada have been resprayed at least once in their life prior to leaving Japan.

I haven't seen this specifically (but I'm mostly into 4x4s and trucks and things that would probably be mostly outside of urban areas) but I have noticed every goddamn seat in every car is worn on the right bolster, like every Japanese person just lovingly drags their rear end across it 50 times a day. Just lift your bum and drop it in the seat :negative:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

So are you obligated to stay thin and healthy for you SO? Or if you get fat is that grounds for them to bail on you? Because one of my high school friends is in a really bad place because her husband left her. She has put on quite a lot of weight and has been unable to lose any of it. I guess he just packed his poo poo and left and his reason is "she's too fat to have sex with anymore."

You are never obligated to stay with anyone for any reason, so yeah that would be grounds to bail. What if you SO stopped brushing their teeth? Or never clipped their nails?
It's not cool to do that but if one person is unhappy in the relationship (regardless of cause) then it isn't really a relationship anymore is it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

iwentdoodie posted:

But generally you discuss it first and it's not a sudden thing.

Randomly bailing for a fixable issue if you never bring it up is an amazing dick move.

Yeah but we don't have the details. Did the guy really just up and leave suddenly? They had a 100% good relationship until they dude suddenly bailed?
The sort of person that would just up and dick-move like that is probably lovely in all sorts of other ways and is probably ultimately unlhealthy for her.
Or it's more nuanced than that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Seminal Flu posted:

If you're a horologist, or even have a passing interest in mechanical things, you need to see this (if you haven't already):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGPjFFMD3c0

Great music (like I'm playing Sim City again) and cool as heck mechanical gears and things but holy hell what an ugly thing at the end.

edit
lmao beaten on the ugly at the end

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Personally I'm hoping for another dot come bubble bursting, this time centered around advertising. Even though that would destroy the best thing that's ever happened to me (technicpack) it would be worth it.

Start with piracy because you don't want to/can't afford it, swing legit once it became more convenient since content was now on-demand and can be viewed on multiple devices, swing back to piracy because companies destroyed the convenience. I'm cool with paying for things as long as the convenient is worth it. I don't consume enough content to sign up just for motor-trend so I won't.
All because they aren't making enough money.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I use adblock extensively. I pay for the bandwidth to deliver content to me and I get to decide what content makes it to my eyes.
If the business model isn't sustainable because of adblock then they better figure out how to make money in some other way. I'm not required to watch ads, they aren't required to serve them and nobody is required to buy whatever the ad is selling.
I'm not required to take part in whatever business with whatever rules they've drummed up.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

I seriously can't believe this has never come up.

My mom tried. My dad worked so much he was never really around to see what was going on. Mom would keep me home and then truancy officers would show up. When the school finally did an investigation it was deemed that I was egging the bullies on so no actions were taken. When we moved it was such an issue that I was registered at the new school by my initials just in case.

Indiana is a complete shithole and I'm amazed that you still live there.

If that sounds harsh I grew up in Michigan and that too is a shithole but I don't still live there.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I specifically bought the car to not have to deal with rentals anymore...so I am well aware that this question seems insane.

Using codes and playing around I can get a SUV for $219 if I prepay...I usually go to the beach for 10+ days, this is going to be less than a week and a lot of miles...my (probably insane) thought is would it be better to use and abuse a rental for this trip with nothing to worry about?

That is why I am asking thoughts, please talk me out of this idea if it is stupid. Yes I have a brand new car with full coverage insurance parked in my driveway.

Alright I'll say it.
This idea is stupid, drive your car. You bought it, it's being paid for, it's past the break in period.
It's going to get dirty, scratched, pooped on and something in it is going to break. Might as well be driving it when it all happens.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Not normally my thing but I love it when people genuinely crack up. If you guys know BeamNG then this specific video is choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mRcjAVjO-4

Specifically it's this sequence though, watch till you hit it. You'll know, it involves the sun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mRcjAVjO-4&t=893s

Among the things I can still watch and laugh almost as hard.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Brrrrrm...brrrrrrrmmm...brrrrrrrrrrm...........................................

brrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmm.......brrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmm..........brrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmm

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

ilkhan posted:

Not my argument. Whites are usually treated better, but to not acknowledge that SJW bullshit isn't making that line a lot thinner is also racist. People assigning harsher punishment to white kids out of racism guilt is still racism.

The goal is to treat all races the same. Anything else is still racist bullshit. Bullies should get their due. Kids defending themselves should get rewarded. Simple as that.

And I think the word is plurality, largest single group but less than half. Which is neither here nor there.

Bingo! I've got bingo here!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Ok now I got double bingo because someone said 'Woke'.

'Insecure' is the free space, fyi

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
There should be some new hot words and terms people use so I don't just go 'lmao one of those dudes' and shove them into a stereotype box when they mash their hamhocks on their keyboard.
Suppose it's only fair because chances are they've already put everyone else into stereotypes of their own :toot:

epic bird guy posted:

Tires:

My car came with a spare set of wheels so now I have no excuse to not have legitimate seasonal swaps. Right now I have winter tires on and nothing on the spare set but because the seasons are changing I've been thinking about what I want to do. I can't decide between summers or just a good set of all seasons for the warmer weather since I live in an area where the lines between winter and summer are pretty blurred.

Thoughts/recommendations?

If your seasons don't approach freezing then I'd wear summers. Performance sure but also braking would be better.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 22, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

ilkhan posted:

Also a way to call rational thinking racist because you're a SJW dipshit.

That's a 3rd bingo :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Motronic posted:

You're not going to get a hell of lot out of dedicated summers (that will wear quickly) compared to touring tires on something like that. Especially with commuter driving. Don't drop the cash on something you can't wring the last penny out of.

I'm still definitely saying get non-winter tires. Just not dedicated high performance summers.

and I'm of the mind that you want the best tires you can buy because tires are everything. Quick maneuvers, braking performance, all that comes down to tires and better tires = better time with emergencies.

Really though just buy good tires, it kinda sounds like we're past the point of diminishing returns here.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'm still confused on how what just happened up-thread is called 'politics' but whatever, I'm relatively new around here anyway and don't "get" whatever established pattern there is for discourse.

I do know, however, that I'm constantly checking my email waiting for the 'available for pickup' notification to be able to swing and get all three cars from port at once rather than picking up the one that got their earlier. I've got till the 28th before they start charging me, and it isn't about the charge so much ($15 bucks a day) but it's more that I don't want to deal with having to pay those charges and my drivers having to deal with it and bleh.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The Door Frame posted:

Designer dogs are poison

I'd say people are the ones that "poison" dogs. If pitbulls can be good dogs then yorkies can be good dogs, but any dog is a Good Dog™

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

Where did Lowtax go wrong? Dude used to be really internet famous and was invited to speak at colleges and he fought Uwe Bowl and poo poo.

He's steadfastly refused to do what everyone else did and now that everywhere else is poo poo garbage it's telling that something awful is still as good as it is. He still refuses to do a bunch of poo poo that would bring him money.
It isn't the forums that have strayed, it's the rest of the internet imho

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Since I am important (lol) and always busy (double lol) I set up an automatic thing through patreon. It's easy, comes out every month and is from a pool of money that isn't used for anything important besides official JDM parts. If/when Lowtax sets up an SA-only monthly thing I'll switch.

I truly can not overstate just how beneficial me having a Something Awful account has been, directly responsible for my livelyhood as it stands now and has afforded me all sorts of luxuries. I'd be sad if the forums ceased.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tide posted:

I don't know about this. Forums participation as a whole is down. Most of the traditionally busy sites have suffered as a result of groups moving to facebook. It's easy to produce 'content'. Ad blockers hurt many sources of revenue for these forums as well as others. Forums used to be a place that you went to for very specific things. Now? There's a facebook group for it.

The other aspect is that a couple or three years ago (hell, maybe longer) this place got so toxic and so much of an echo chamber that Lowtax had to step in and remove moderators and put new ones in place that didn't automatically ban people for contrary to popular opinion posts. There was a good 6 months that if you weren't lock step with the hive mind, you caught a ban. You still can't make an off color joke in most subs without someone getting their panties in a twist and a moderator at least prob'ing you for a bit; AI being an exception. The whole somethingawful vs somethingserious (or somethingsensitive, I can't remember) hurt as well. Thing is, all forums end up leaning one way or the other. Whoever shouts the loudest usually runs off the opposition (and moderates because gotdang, they just want them to shut up.) The exception is probably reddit simply because there's something there for everyone and somehow they don't often intermix. Each retreats to their own echo chamber.

The thing about an echo chamber is it's hard to acknowledge you're on the side of one unless you have a decent amount of self awareness.

Surely, shortly, someone will come along and say "YOU'RE JUST MAD BRO CUZ YOU CAN'T SAY RACIST THING". That's not it at all. That said, I'll admit I probably have some what could be racist views colored (no pun intended) by experience, but I don't know if it's any different than my feelings of obese cottage cheese looking motherfuckers disgusting me to my core or worst, Notre Dame football fans. But we all have our biases.

And to be sure, people have just moved on. There's not been that 'thing' to bring people here.

That said, I can't imagine the hosting for this place is that expensive.

Yeah and after Lowtax came in and made it a ~safe space~ participation continued to ramp down, even if this change was really only in GBS. Something sensitive is the polar opposite of 'self aware' and didn't hurt anything except a bunch of chump's egos, I'd bring up the 4chan incident if you wanted to point out big splits that 'hurt' SA.
Something Awful Dot Com's slow slide into obscurity has nothing to do with punctuation being required and your "opinions" being "different" than the establishment and has everything to do with recognition being easier to get elsewhere. Twitter is the biggest drain of content generation since if you are Mr. Funny Man you can connect with people that like you directly instead of working through the relative bureaucracy of Something Awful and work up a bunch of CYOA threads or cool photoshops or whatever it is you can get forums famous for. Add in YouTube and Twitch and Patreon and boy why do you need any platform besides those to be a personality on the internet that drives participation? This is why Lowtax does the gaming garbage thing, it's the modern way to do Doom House poo poo.
I'd work on your self-awareness too 'cause goddamn do you broadcast an awful lot about yourself with unaware posts like these, lmao.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Alternatively, just do it?
I'm saying this totally outside of knowing anything at all about you but like, if you really want to move then you totally should move. If the end result is happiness then no matter what you do to get there would have been worth it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It’s more of convincing the missus it’s worth it, she’s happy most of the year in Michigan except for when it’s cold and she has to go outside, and since her family is nearby it’s a win for her. Most of my family is not nearby and I don’t really care about them as much so it’s easier for me to split.

It’s never very sunny no matter what season it is and it gets to be quite depressing. My only concern is making sure our quality of life would be the same, which means we would need to make roughly $250k/yr in CA, and I think we would best case make around $200k which means we’d live in a closet or 2hr from work :rip:

I grew up in Muskegon so I know all about Michigan and winters and is the number one reason I now live in Florida. Sure it's lol Florida lol but so what, Michigan has it's own (horrible, terrible) issues, it's just that down here I don't have 'bleak' in my vocabulary between the months of October - April. If it's California or Texas or Florida or Georgia or whatever you should live somewhere that isn't weatherly-depressing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Enourmo posted:

You say that as if the 6 months of summer between April and October isn't its own flavor of depressing.

"Oh no, the sun!" - me in Florida in July as I drink lots of water and un-sweet iced tea as I do cool yard work in the heat, maybe go to the beach and take whatever giant, wide, clear and smooth stretches of tarmac since everything around me is built for 3x the population but all the snowbirds are up north for the summer.

"what is the point of existing i wish i were dead" - me under 2 feet of snow on any January day in Muskegon where it is cold and dark when you wake up in the morning and it is the same cold and dark when you leave work and that night you get another 2 feet of snow because lol lake effect.

I'm just one dude but there is zero contest between the two are you kidding me.

I think you won't do it because clearly this rad as hell wagon is too cool for you :colbert:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

So the job I want isn't starting their next round of hiring for another 32 days. That sucks. So I guess I'm gonna go work at Costco for a month.

Bro people work at Costco for life. Costco is how capitalism is supposed to be done.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I've never liked milk very much growing up but boy was it ever a thing we always drank. Now that I'm a real-deal adult and have found plain, unsweetened soymilk everything is great. Ingredients are these two: soybeans, water.
It's also quite difficult to find easily, usually it will be sweetened or at least vanilla flavor and goddammit I don't need that extra garbage :argh:

Real cheese is great though and far better than any alternatives.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

spog posted:

Because a lot of young people are extremely dumb and you are condemned by association:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15iLHlJPp_0

Both you and I know that the un-edited version of that commercial was headed up by a boomer by a boomer-ran company desperate to sell to their millennial kids, and failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Both the NSX and Supra are going to be 100k cars soon, probably in less than 5 years. Have you seen their prices today?

• Locked thread