Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'd be beating that dog for putting it in Comfort mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

oh god, don't start talking about paying for sex again, that's how I ate my last probation, and I'm not hungry for a new one. :worried:

My longest dry spell was between 18 months and 2 years. And that seemed like for-loving-ever. For me, I think the reason and the problem was inside my head, and once I stopped looking for sex possibilities in every interaction and forgot about it... boom, it happened.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Edit: posting because she's having trouble adjusting to the time change and is already exhausted so she's taking a bath.

Not even married a week and she's already killing your fun.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

California is spectacular. But the people ruin it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Lol, why would you marry someone exactly like yourself? That makes poo poo boring and like so much of AI, ends in divorce.

Lol. You've been married less than two weeks. Come back here 10 years from now and tell me about a successful marriage. (I've been married almost 12. :colbert: )

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

We've been together 9 years.

Together =/= married. You have so much to learn.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

Amateur. 26

:hf:

I got a late start with this one. :D (and I've been with her for almost 18 (with a couple "breaks"))

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KakerMix posted:

I'm all for ripping on Rhyno because it's fun, easy, and good for the soul, but I'll never understand statements like these. What exactly is marriage vs. being together?

Darchangel posted:

Basically, yes, it should be just a formality, but for whatever reason, having the relationship officialized/formalized in some way sometimes changes a person's perspective on it, not always for the better. It represents a commitment, now public and official, which just fucks some people up. It's all in the head, basically.

I had a reply, but Darchangel said it better. It changes some people. My wife and I lived together for a couple years before getting married and nothing changed for us, but like iwentdoodie said,

iwentdoodie posted:

All marriage really does is cement the fact that there isn't an easy out, and encourages you to work poo poo out. Our marriage hasn't been perfect, and we've fought bad enough for long enough that separation and divorce became an option, but it's still worth it.

I got your later point too, KakerMix, I was mostly harassing Rhyno for spouting marriage knowledge at us when the ink ain't even dried on his paperwork. :v:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Being married owns and I respect and love my wife too much to whine about dumb poo poo we argue about or what she does that drives me crazy on the internet where she doesn’t have the ability to share her side of the story or defend herself

Not that I think u guys are doing that rn since I skimmed

Also I forget if I posted it yet but there is a shitposter jr coming to a thread near you in 7 months and all signs point to this one sticking around unlike last time :D

Hell yeah, new doggo and new embryo, I hope everything works out great for you this time, TT. You've both put in the work.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Texans loves tacos. Del Taco is not "taco". Del Taco is, dare I say it, even worse than Taco Bell. Taco loving Casa survives here, despite being worse than Taco Bell (but at least their stuff is a lot fresher...).

When my parents lived in Dallas, I always went to Taco Bueno, and I liked it. Does that make me cool, or a pariah?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 9, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm in two minds about marriage these days. I've had one end and another long term "domestic partnership" also fail after 9 years.... I'm kinda glad I wasnt married this time around.

I will say the marriage was worth it. Hard work but even in the end, I have much fond memories. The recent relationship..... ummm..... yeah maybe not so good and my mental state seriously unravelled at the end too. The one thing you cant overlook about a forml marriage is the legal certainty of the relationship it brings. Sure "defacto" is supposed ot have the same but in reality it doesnt.

The only thing I miss right now from either is having a cat. Cant have that where I am right now.... kinda blows rear end but I cant complain about the general freedom to keep my own schedule. I ahve hosed myself financially but mentally.... I am doing sooooo much better and I'm starting to ride big kms again.

Yup, we've seen you go through some rough times lately. I'm glad things are smoothing out for you, hopefully they continue in that direction.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

There's a difference between splitting it and hoarding every last penny for mine, mine, mine.

The friend that gave it to him would be loving thrilled to have the guy that won toss him $5000 cash and the guy that won doesn't get hurt at all, and ends up looking super generous, and doesn't have people looking at him like he's an rear end.

Edit: And telling you, then making you split the check is an enormous dick move.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 10, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is an interesting case study. The giver is entitled to nothing but friendship. One person says give him 5000. Why that number? How do you settle for what is "agreeable"?
I used that amount as a token, the actual amount is insignificant to the argument.

quote:

I once told my sister she owed me a very nice dinner. My reasoning was that as a single employed person it cost me $12K in one year for the privilege of being an American. She worked part time part of the year and quit her job. She was unmarried with two kids and was living with her babies daddy who supported them. Not only did she get a full refund of any and all taxes she paid but in addition was given $7K because she qualified as below the poverty level.

The tax system, broken AF.

So now you're arbiter of taxes? Even if your argument had any basis, she would owe YOU about 1/350,000,000 of that $7k, since it comes from the pot we all pay into.

Yeah, there are times in ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨An American's ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨ life where you pay in more than you get out. There are also times when your life can be hit by a truck and you really need some support. I'd rather stray on the side of taking care of people and our American structure than hoarding what I feel is "mine," when really whatever you gain is through the collective structure that has been put in place by ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨TAXES¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨ and the work of others to open up your space to achieve.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Getting reaaaaaaal sick of this poo poo. I've been through a fire before, so I GTFO when the building fire alarm goes off. But this is the 3rd false in 2 months.

Hard to tell with the sun, but it's still showing as being in alarm, just silenced, and the trouble strobe is flashing (but not chirping, guess maintenance figured out how to silence the piezo on it). And it's a single zone system, so the entire system is effectively disabled now. It's not even that old of an alarm (it's a current model in ESL's lineup), but it's been hacked together so bad that it doesn't know what "fire" is.

That would be super loving annoying.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LloydDobler posted:

You touched on this, but it's actually the LUCKY ONES where this is the case. If you need government assistance, or make so little that you don't pay taxes, your life is not going well at all. People need to think of at least some of their taxes like insurance. Do you go out and crash your car every few years to get 100% of your premiums back? I pay the taxes on fire and police so that they'll come if I need them. But I'll be ecstatic if I go through my life without that.

Yeah, this is a good point. I'd MUCH rather pay more in taxes to support people who have particular needs taken care of, than to have them get desperate and start "doing what they had to do" to survive. Instead of playing the victim card, the realization of LUCKY is closer to the truth.

Also, I lived in my first house, single, for 10 years. I paid thousands of dollars in property tax, mostly going to schools that I had no child attending. Should I bitch about that? I got absolutely no benefit for my contribution... oh wait, I did... property values were maintained because the area remained attractive to families, and education (in any form) creates a better environment. It's a big, collective pot we pay in to as a community, I hope I never have to take out of it more than I do now, but I'm glad that my taxes support that community.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Doggo is a good Biscuit.

Monterey is just so relaxing. We're grabbing some food and are gonna go sit on the edge of the bay.

There's a really good burger place in Monterey. I forget the name, but ask the local, they'll know.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Our Lyft driver legit asked us if we'd ever had In N Out like it was some rare delicacy.

Lol, but then again, In N Out is a damned tasty burger.

I looked up the shop I was thinking of, and they must have closed. So... In N Out, it is!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Avalon is trying to make me angry with it.

All of a sudden it developed a huge shake at 65+. I had heard/felt some problems with the ball joint, so I ordered one. Went to install it this morning and it took me an hour to get the castle nut off. The original cotter pin broke in all the worst places and, after I got that drilled out, the bolt was so siezed that I was opening up both my Craftsman 3/4" and 19mm wrenches.

Ended up cutting it off with a Dremel wheel, then the rest of the replacement was done in like 20 minutes.

Took it for a test drive, and the shake was gone. But, the head shield was rubbing a bit, so I took the wheel off again to bend it back and found the rotor hotter than gently caress. And the caliper is absolutely seized (it was really hard to get off when I took it off this morning, so it probably had been developing, but I didn't notice it yet). :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

There are no rules for Pizza unless you are talking about how fruit has no place on top of it.

But tomatoes are fruit. :eng101:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

If you're a horologist, or even have a passing interest in mechanical things, you need to see this (if you haven't already):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGPjFFMD3c0

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I don't know if opening an account would have changed anything since most of them says $1000 limit per day."

So open an account and take money out (or online transfer to your credit union) a little bit each day? Why are you making this such a big deal?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I really want to find the GM engineer who came up with this version of Passlock, and string them up by their nuts/vulva/whatever.

I've had the Passlock light come on a few times while driving, but tonight's the first time I couldn't start the car. Light wasn't on when I parked, when I tried to start it it wouldn't crank. Then I saw the flashing Passlock light. :argh:

10 minute relearn in a friend's driveway got it to start, plus a solid Passlock light, and "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON". Got home, shut it off, restarted it, car's fine now. No SVS message, no lights. :fuckoff:

Is that the one you need to use an eraser on the key to fix?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

This would work fine if all the local banks didn't have a limit of $1000 per day. That's the max cash in PER bond. They won't even touch the 5K bond because of this. I guess I wasn't clear on that?

Where you are not clear is -- can you take out another $1000 on the second day? The third? Etc.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

If I had $5000 cash they would take it. But bonds are stupid.

I seriously can't believe I've never brought up my past before. I guess it never seemed relevant.

Gotcha, I think a number of us were reading it as you could only withdraw $1k/day after deposit. Now it makes nonsense.

Also: Can testify -- Fort Wayne schools can be killing fields. Only the strong survive.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I joke but it's really a miracle I didn't turn into one of these psychos shooting up schools or blowing up cops.

:eng101: Yet.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

Pretty much this. The best way to stop bullies is to push back hard.

Yup. I moved right before Freshman year of high school. New kid at a super rich, snobby school was no fun. One sophomore in my technical drawing class kept teasing me, day after day. One day I had enough, he was standing over me at my desk, I stood up and gave him one right in the nose. He bled, teacher stepped in, I ate a suspension. Worth it, I never heard another word from him.

Edit: I hadn't though of him in probably 10 years, so I looked him up on Facebook -- Hey Rhyno -- he's still in Fort Wayne and he's one of the motorcycle douches.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 21, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tide posted:

I have decided that Kristen Bell is extremely my jam.

That's something we can ALL agree on.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

This thread is so binary and judgemental, both in politics and current events.

In that Uber video, there is less than one second from the first frame you can see the pedestrian until impact. It happened in the dark shadows adjacent to a really strong street light. The pedestrian was wearing a dark top, that could have happened to anyone. To say "IR should have picked it up, :hurr: " is ignoring a lot of the circumstances -- where was the pedestrian right before the accident? If they had been laying on the ground, there could have been a minimal pattern due to the dark clothing being the same temperature as the surrounding area... and a "regular" driver drat sure isn't driving with IR optics, aggressively scouring every inch of the road for possible vagrants crossing the road at every instant...

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. You can see the bike's reflectors as she crosses the other lane, if the driver had been paying any attention...
The bike had no reflectors.

Enourmo posted:

This country's being carved up and sold to greedy corporate bastards by their fat cat conservative pals, meanwhile the "liberal" Major Party is a bunch of limp-dicked-do nothings who pay lip service to equality because "Guess what, this police death squad is super bae, because they're women!", and actual liberals can't get gently caress anything done because they're too busy tearing each other apart over purity tests and "More Woke Than Thou" dickwaving contests, and I

am

TIRED OF ITay

You've come a long way. And make some good points.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 22, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I have issues with anyone not agreeing that Kirsten Bell is as omni-soothing as any doggo for our collective conscience.

It's okay, Adiabatic, AI has its cycles and this will pass, too. Have a good day, get your poo poo done and be happy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only issue with the Uber footage is that the camera has balanced itself on the brightest part of the areas lit up with headlights. Your eyes are better than a dashcam when it comes to dealing with a wide range in brightness.

A person whose literal job is safety driver should have easily seen at least *something* in the road. Not necessarily enough to identify it as "pedestrian with bike" but enough to start slowing down.

Case in point - this guy was wearing dark clothes, no reflectors, but I could still see something in the road before the dashcam picks it up, giving me one less fatality than Uber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n9tDlnke2s

It's easy to armchair QB this stuff, but there's got to be some realization that every situation is different, and we are not always as "ON" as we may like to think. Two years ago I hit a deer. It didn't materialize out of nowhere, it came from the woods on the left side of the road, along with up to half a dozen if its buddies. The first one fully cleared the car, I got the second one dead-nuts on. I was driving my family, I was not being inattentive, but it was dark and I somehow missed this group of animals running across my path. If I had a dash cam, you'd probably be able to see them before I hit the brakes in real life. However, I didn't see them until it was too late.

What I'm saying is that there are always going to be circumstances that you can explain away later, but we are fallible, and there are always going to be accidents... robot drivers or human drivers.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

epic bird guy posted:

Yeah on one hand if we are going to accept robotic cars, we have to understand that they will kill some people some times. Safer? Maybe. Completely harmless? Not a chance. The question is who is responsible when harm is done. In this case a prototype owned by Uber is completely their responsibility imo.

Also Uber is a garbage company that deserves every bad result of its actions.

I think people are conflating their hatred of Uber with the situation.

I agree, Uber is fully responsible. So what? If it was a human driving, they would not even be cited for killing a pedestrian like that. The person shouldn't have been in the middle of the road, at night, wearing dark clothes. The driver would probably be grief-struck, but there wouldn't be a legal or monetary penalty.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If getting probated is happening for calling out a bunch of dumb moron poo poo then hit me up with one too. Cheers.

That's an odd hill to die on. :monocle:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

With that driver facing camera you're getting some percentage of fault.

Fair enough. She'll get crucified for looking at her phone, but she was in an autonomous vehicle... That'll still be enough to make Uber write a big fat check, though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mekilljoydammit posted:

From past career doing expert witness work with my dad... you want to bet there wouldn't be any penalty? Because I've worked on one similar.

Edit: nevermind, ironically, I misread your statement.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 22, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

Uber should be as well. They either need to train or supervise their employees better.
The whole reason they have a person in the car is to override when things happen.
Uber cars had a number of issues with bikes and peds acting legally in SF, but they were all stopped by the human driver. You're not supposed to think the car is foolproof because it isn't.
The fact that apparently the uber did not attempt to stop at all is the most damning. There's like a 2-3 second gap between when the ped becomes clearly visible in an overly dark video and impact. While avoiding the collision may have been impossible, mitigating the damage was not. The difference between 38 and 25 could literally have been life or death.
A driver has a legal obligation to minimize damages. You can't see a ped who is acting illegally and do nothing and hit them.
I could see possible criminal charges for the "driver" depending on how the laws are structured in AZ, though the defense would have a pretty solid case. Uber's going to be on the hook for aome damages.

Interesting that you see a 2-3 second gap. I see one second from the moment of illumination to the moment of impact, it all happens at 2:19 on the linked video.

This brings up so many of the questions that have been in the ether about "what if" regarding autonomous vehicles. And it's not as if these are abstract hypotheticals, they are things that WILL happen, we just have to develop the mechanism to deal with them when they do happen.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 22, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

I have been saying for a long time that the biggest problem for self-driving cars is legal liability. Does it fall on the "driver/owner" or is on the manufacturer?
There's going to be long amd protracted litigation and google is going to wish that they'd hit the person so they don't have to deal with uber's likely lovely legal choices.

Just wait until an automated car has to make this choice:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ExplodingSims posted:

So, has anyone else had what they thought would be a dream job turn into a nightmare?

I took this job working in industrial ammonia refrigeration , thinking it'd be great, and id get to work on stuff that's super interesting., etc...
Only to find out apparently it really sucks. I've been here over a week, and haven't gotten any training in service. It's all been working in manufacturing.
The hours suck. 10hr mandatory days, 12 if you're in the field. . And it's working 17 days without a day off. A normal tour is 10. And you don't get to go home, you get to share a room in a lovely Days Inn. They don't even have a pancake printer for breakfast.

And if you quit while here you have to pay for the flight back. gently caress this was a mistake.

That sucks. :(

Can you hold out long enough to at least get home on their dime?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

ED you’re a good internet person and probably a good person irl. Happy date of birth.

I couldn't have said it better.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

My wife and I went to a concert tonight and before hand we pregamed at a super dive bar just off the OSU campus.

The bathroom was a thing of majesty.

This is part of it. Taint. And hi... Brady.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I had to look this up and I'm disappointed that it doesn't stand for Toyota North Goddamn America.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Yo I just binged that Wild Wild Country documentary on Netflix. Holy poo poo.

I watched the first episode last week, haven't hit the rest yet. I was trying to find Bagwahn Rollses several months ago, I don't know if they say it in the documentary, but most of them were repainted after the big sale. :(

Edit: Not all of them, though: http://www.vintagemotorcarsusa.com/vehicles/details_new.php?id=477

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If more people were content with mutts, "pure breeds" wouldn't be problem, but lots of people treat dogs as a fashion statement or want a certain breed for aesthetic reasons so the same dogs keep getting inbred and the genetic mutations are almost impossible to get rid of now.

I only got 10 years out of my first high-end pure breed lab. I only got 7 years out of my second high-end pure breed lab.

My current dog is a rescue mutt that I hope will just live a stupid-long life. Mutts seem to be unkillable, while pure breeds seem super fragile and prone to weird and bad problems.

At least that's my experience. My stupid mutt:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread