Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ExplodingSims posted:

So, if anyone cares, I got the job I posted about in the last thread. I'm officially an INDUSTRIAL refrigeration tech now!
I fly out to their training place in about 2 weeks for a 3 week session. So this should be fun.

Been spending all day today doing all their training videos and tests. This is going to be an interesting experience based on what I've seen in the videos so far.

Congrats dude, enjoy it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enourmo posted:

What is this... pub-lick trance port, of which you speak??????

It's the roads I drive on, right?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Just got back to the hotel, we walked through the edge of downtown after dark and the homeless are everywhere. And we're told it's unnaturally cold righ now so everyone is suffering. This city is breaking my goddamn heart.

The homeless problem in SD is because the city doesn't or won't do anything about it, and the weather is pretty much perfect year around so somehow they all migrate there from places like where you came from where it's loving cold.

Most of these people are not from SD, so you shouldn't really let it break your heart (other than the homeless issue in general - not specific to SD), they could be homeless in Minnesota or Chicago instead.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I've just become a goddamn softy since last year. All human suffering hurts my soul.

That's fair and cool, just don't pin it on SD, they are there because of the weather.

Edit: And because the city leaves them alone pretty much.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

nm posted:

I'd be curious if that is actually true. I hear it everywhere warm with a bit homeless issue, but when they do studies a huge percentage became homeless when living in the general area.

In warm places, they're less likely to use shelters (shelters are often awful and require them to abandon pets and belongings).

Oh I could be completely wrong, just going off of what a couple friends who live there say. I know we have plenty of homeless here in the Phoenix area, but they mostly tend to live around the area where shelters and soup kitchens/charities are set up to support them in an area near downtown.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So if your car is having recall work done (takata air bag) and its going to take more than a day you should get a loaner right? The dealership is telling me they will give me a ride home and then pick me up, I live across town so I'm like gently caress that.

If recall work takes more than a day then the manufacturer should pick it up, but some dealers are lazy and don't want to do that paperwork.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

We haven't even gotten to LA yet!

Also we did not rent a car for this trip. I wanted to sightsee, not worry about rear end in a top hat drivers.

We're here til Wednesday, still a lot to do.

But for real, none of the food has been special yet. Carne asada fries? You can get that ahit anywhere in the midwest.

My wife gives no shits about cars so we're not doing a lot if car poo poo. Cars & Coffee in Monterey on Saturday is the main thing.

No idea if either of you are into ships/boats and history, but if you are, the Maritime Museum in San Diego is well worth a visit. I can easily kill a day there, especially if you take a harbor tour on one of their boats. A sail on the America or the Californian is also something that's awesome, but usually requires planning in advance and you'll be out on the water for several hours.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Peterson Museum was awwwwwwwesome. Only bad part was our tour had a fuckin know it all who kept trying to correct the guide.

Why didn't your wife tell you to shut up? :v:

Edit: Oh crap, new page and I don't own any dogs/cats. Have a generic funny dog pic.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 8, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Here in the land of no DST, all the clocks in the house remain unchanged, yet somehow T-Mobile managed to gently caress up their towers and my phone thinks it's an hour later than it really is.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I know there's not a lot of avenues open in retail, but it's almost amusing how surprised managers are when someone doesn't want to be a manager. Some folks just don't want to herd other folks, or know they don't have any skill in it. My dad, a retired mechanical engineer, had that problem at his longest-running job. He'd maxed out but didn't want to move into management. He wanted to be an engineer. They just couldn't fathom that.

I have this problem all the time at work when the annual review process comes up and we have to set goals. I only have one more promotion I can get in my current job, so they keep talking to me about stuff that would lead to management, and it is somehow difficult for them to understand that I am perfectly happy doing the 'sole contributor' thing, and do not have any desire to manage people ever again (been there, done that, hated it).

I can make plenty of money, more than some manager positions even, if I can get even up to midpoint in the final pay grade doing exactly what I'm doing now, so I have no desire to go into a role I would be unhappy in, and probably would be terrible at.

I got a nice surprise yesterday, the company awarded me a stock grant for excellent performance - not immediately vested, which doesn't matter to me, but it's a pretty nice grant, worth about 7.5% of my annual salary. In addition I got an almost 10% cash bonus last month, and a $1000 bonus (everyone got it for the new tax plan) in January. It's been a pretty drat good year so far, and the annual merit raises will be in the next month or two.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Great music (like I'm playing Sim City again) and cool as heck mechanical gears and things but holy hell what an ugly thing at the end.

edit
lmao beaten on the ugly at the end

The craftsmanship is amazing, I was stunned at how much of that is hand built. Agree that the completed product is an assault on good taste though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The watch in the video says 'not for sale' on his site, but another watch he made is listed for 5 million Yen, or about $47,500 USD. I can't imagine putting something that expensive on my wrist and walking around with it, so I assume his market is rich collectors that just display them like art.. which, I guess they are, functional art.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tide posted:

at 55 mph, you're covering 80 feet per second. Trying to put myself in the drivers seat while watching the video, I caught myself looking to the left of the intersection as I came up on it to look for 'trouble'. Even just for one second, by the time my eyes got back to center, I was theoretically hitting the woman. No idea how fast the uber car as going, however.

The uber car was going 38 in a 35 zone.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, that's why I wanted to get into it. the money can be great, and the stuff they work on is super cool. Plus as a specialized part of the trade, Ammonia techs are always in demand, and you can generally get whatever you want.

But this company just seems to suck. I actually almost didn't go, I looked up employee reviews of the place and it was almost all negative. But, I figured, hey, it might just be bitter fired people or something, but no, it seems I should have listened.

If you can stand it, just stay through the training, for two reasons.

1) They pay you (I assume/hope) for this time and pay your way home at the end.
2) You can put the training on your resume!

Then when you quit when you get back you can just say it's because they didn't deliver on their promises (both training and your future schedule).

Of course, ultimately it's your decision of course, and I wish you the best of luck no matter what your decision is.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well this doesn't look good for Uber, apparently they altered the video, shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=61&v=1XOVxSCG8u0

Can any AZ goons confirm this?

Not sure what you are asking to be confirmed, that a guy filmed that stretch of road using a cell phone instead of whatever lovely dashcam was in the Uber and it looks brighter?

I seriously doubt that Uber had an opportunity to alter the video, since the car was involved in a fatal accident, unless the Tempe cops are complete failures at policing, that evidence would have been collected at the scene.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sounds to me like she is doing a pretty great job of giving you whatever you want in the divorce, although it's probably pretty rough to see/deal with right now. Video documentation with audio of her being insane can't help her in court.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

I still love this forum enough that I'd pay $10 annually to stay on it, I wonder if that's something that would work for lowtax. Anyone else? Or would most of you just peace out?

In fact, I think that's what I'll donate. :10bux: for each year I've been here after the initial signup.

This is a good idea and I will hop on this bandwagon when I get home tonight.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

Also, someone turns 40 today :toot: This is when I start counting backwards, right?

Wait... it goes backwards after 40? Hell yeah, I'm 28 now!

Also, Happy Birthday. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Wait... does that mean you expire when you hit zero?

Maybe? 80 years is a pretty good run!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enourmo posted:

loving christ this rocket was gonna be so cool but department fuckups, manufacturing issues, and straight-up false promises have delayed us to the point that I'll be shocked if we get off the launch pad.

I'm sick of school, sick of working with dipshits, sick of having to back up and re-tool every couple weeks.

Hybrids aren't even loving worth it at this small a scale, just use a solid rocket.

Guess what, even if you were a software engineer you'd get to deal with the exact same poo poo. Same in construction which I used to be in. It's because of people, and there are very few people in the world high enough on the ladder to not have to deal with what other people think should be done. Sorry, that's just life I do believe.

As has been pointed out though, the good thing is you get paid for it once you are in the 'real world'.

• Locked thread