Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So if your car is having recall work done (takata air bag) and its going to take more than a day you should get a loaner right? The dealership is telling me they will give me a ride home and then pick me up, I live across town so I'm like gently caress that.

What? Wow, the local Nissan dealership here offered to put me in a rental for 6 months until they got the parts in and I didn't even buy the car from them. I declined and both times I was in for airbag recall work they offered me use of a loaner for the hour or so it took them to do the work.

E: Can I have a couple minutes to work out my tax picture?
Egon was not really happy about doing this:

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I was gonna longpost this but then decided not to.

My reasons for moving to and living where I do have decided to divest themselves of the area and move somewhere a couple hours away. I'm mad. I'm not mad at them for it, I'm mad at myself for ever having moved up here in the first place. I'm mad at myself for buying this house, getting my lovely as gently caress job, and doing it for reasons other than self-benefit. I'm mad that I've squandered several more years of my life with this bullshit.

I'm now actively job hunting in an area I don't really want to live in either and considering an up to 3 hour commute just so that I can eventually get out of this shithole city.

I wonder what the look on my boss' face is gonna be when on Friday night I ask him if I can use him as a reference.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Siochain posted:

Where abouts are you at again, and what field are you in?

Owen Sound, which is everything the elephant's rear end in a top hat the locals claim it to be (apparently on old maps of Canada if you rotated them and looked at Ontario you'd see an elephant and its rear end in a top hat is Owen Sound).

At present I work in the print industry as a finishing assistant in the bindery of a print facility. I have two backup roles that put me on a forklift. It's shift work, and Dupont 12 hour nightmare rotation. Second largest employer in the city and if you ever wanted to know what it's like to see a bunch of boomers act like they're still in highschool stop on by.

I used to work in an office, designing analog and digital IC photomasks. I have experience with perl, tcl/tk, Tanner L-edit, Cadence, Hercules, and long list of things that doesn't include a degree and thusly negates the point of most of the list since I'll never get a job again as a physical designer without a degree. I'm hunting for jr dev positions in the $17/h range in the GTA, more would be better to offset gasoline. Something hand-holdy until I pick up whatever it is the cool kids do in software these days. As for the commute, it's very roughly on par with a commute I used to do from Kitchener to Toronto for the physical design gig. What's funny to me, is that commute was done in a '07 Nissan Versa hatchback, though that one was blue and had an automatic and mine is silver and has a stick.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Applebees Appetizer posted:

hope you figure things out and get to where you wanna be.

Can I go back in time 15 years and beat the poo poo out of 16yo me?

I have issues, and all of them are my fault and 16yo me definitely deserves it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Siochain posted:

Certified for any other heavy equipment? Want to get into the mining industry? There's work a bit north if you are interested, at the least I could probably get your resume past the screening point.

No certifications for anything other than my forklift and scissor lift tickets but I have experience with backhoes, front-end loaders, and excavators.

I'm open to working in the mining industry if it doesn't see me in some tunnel in the ground because I am not good with tunnels. Also I'm not sure if it would fit in with my goal of "normal work week."

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

I guess used JNCOs are pretty valuable?

Do you have to wash off the track marks?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I don't want to flip between days and nights anymore.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Four nights, four off, three days, two off, three nights, four off, four days, seven off. The "offs" are 24h blocks of time that start at either 7am or 7pm depending and the rotation spans 28 days.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm losing shop and 2 post lift access sometime after April. I also need to figure out where to put the loving Hilux because its storage spot is going byebye too. Things are moving a lot faster than I thought they would.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Never thought I'd say it, but I full-on regret leaving Kitchener.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Kitchener is a city, the one I used to live in.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Slept in a little this morning and was about half an hour late taking the cat to the vet for his neuter.

Now he's keeping his balls until the 16th of April. :cripes:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
There's only one place to get tacos around here and while they are good and real tacos, it's $20 for three.

We had a Taco Bell, it closed years ago. No fast food taco joints is another reason I hate this city.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If a friend gave me a lotto ticket and it won any amount of money, I'd tell them and thank them endlessly. If they asked me for a cut of the money I'd tell them to gently caress right off.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm pretty drat generous, a lotto win wouldn't necessarily be something I'd keep all to myself (there's a few guys at work I'd offer retirement for instance) but I can't stand people who think they're entitled to someone else's winnings.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
What's wrong with agreeing with me? I thought we were pals. :smith:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

Our Lyft driver legit asked us if we'd ever had In N Out like it was some rare delicacy.

Son, let me tell you about what it's like to live in Bumfuck, Nowhere, North America...

The nearest 5 guys is over 2 hours away for instance.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Seriously, those wheels are beautiful in white.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I believe he was promoted to customer.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I think next year my wife is gonna let me import a fun car from Japan :3:

thanks to everyone for pointing me to Kaker's thread because omg I want an 80's hilux so goddamn bad

(or a GTR R32 but I reckon those will be mongo bux)

80s Hiluxes are not few and far between here in North America. Unmolested and rust-free ones do command a hefty price premium though. I can think of two rusty as gently caress ones and two clean ones in my area, not including the one I own.

Depending on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go, you can find running and driving examples sub $500.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Pepperoni, bacon, and chorizo. On this hill I am prepared to die.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Tomarse posted:

I now understand why watches can cost so much. That many tiny moving parts is pretty drat cool but just reinforces my view that digital watches are a much better idea!

No batteries is the main thing for me.

Also, I'm right handed and wear my watch on my right wrist, anyone else do this? I've never worn one on my left wrist, even as a child.

Massdrop can have good watches on the cheap, I got my Glycine COMBAT AUTOMATIC SUB (laffo at watch names amirite?) through there and it's a nice watch that gains about 20 seconds a month and was $350 vs the $750 Amazon wants for it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm actually like 40lbs or more lighter than I was in HS...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Don't feel lovely, sounds like she is the architect of her own misery.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

slidebite posted:

As a middle aged guy, Mrs and I are finally doing our official wills up this week. When my sister in law passed away intestate a couple years back, made me realize I never want to do that to anyone.

How many of you have wills, personal directives and power of attorney poo poo ready to go.....just in case?

There's a piece of paper in my desk drawer signed by me that states "My brother, <his name> gets everything."

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Well, 0x is what it should appear as, and that just means it's a hexidecimal number (base 16). The H is for people who might clue in if they don't understand the capital X instead of a lowercase one.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Ok what Im saying is why is 0X69H any funnier than 0X45H, I must be missing the joke

The 69 might run afoul of vanity plate guidelines. Also, 0x69 is 105.

It's a nerdy way around the rules and only computer geeks will understand it.

Personally, if I were to go for such a plate, I'd pick 0X01A4H because :420:

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 19, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Ok what Im saying is why is 0X69H any funnier than 0X45H, I must be missing the joke

I'm thinking here that maybe you don't get it because you don't get what hexidecimal is. We've said base 16 a few times. Well, if you remember your school days, our normal numbers, or values, are represented in base ten, just like you got ten fingers (though your fingers could be considered to technically represent base 11 because there's no finger to represent zero or a null value). Anyways, base ten means the normal (arabic) numerals 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 apply for each individual digit in the number. For hexidecimal this is different, because it's base 16, this means 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F are valid for each digit. We use letters to represent 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15 because we don't have single-digit numerals above 9. So the value 10 in base 10 is represented by a zero in the "one's" place, and a 1 in the "ten's" place. In hex this would be represented differently, in the "one's" place (shutup pedants), you'd actually just have A, and no other numerals in any other places. A is 10, 10 is A, B is 11, 11 is B, and so on. The value 16 is when the "ten's" place comes into play, and that would be 0x10, so count your way on up to 69 in hex and you get 0x45.

It's a corny computer math joke.

The 0x and the H are merely identifiers that you should be thinking base 16. The 0x is how you tell a computer it's hex, the H is so a human being can more readily recognize the number.

Like 100% of vanity plates it suffers from the fact that it's an obscure thing only a few people will ever understand.

E: I unironically agree that the lady in the picture in the post above is gorgeous. Like, auto-immune diseases that have serious complications sound nasty but she looks pretty fine to me.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 19, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
GrayStillPlays has a My Summer Car series that is hilarious, he doesn't update it much anymore but there's hundreds of "episodes."

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

everdave posted:

OK I am just asking because a lot of us are cat folks. I apparently have fleas in the house now. Not an infestation but I have found some fleas. What can I do? My house is spotless and I feel so powerless. I haven't let the cat in for a few weeks, my ex wife just started letting her in this past winter. Would really love to hear any advice. I have two kids and they are very sensitive to chemicals and smells and things like that. Help.

Get the cat a flea treatment, that's really all you need to do. Fleas don't get enough nutrition from human blood to reproduce and unless you're rolling around in the fleapocalypse you're unlikely to wake up covered in flea bites during the week or so it takes them to die off.

Revolution works really well, when I took in Egon he got a treatment, as did my two dogs. Egon came into this house with fleas, there are no fleas in this house.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 23, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Maybe it's by comparison.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Border collies are the best dogs.

Just try and keep up.

E: As evidenced by the gate, the one on the right is a jumper, might even be part rabbit.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 26, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I actually don't have much problem with the border collie breed standard, if only because it completely ignores aesthetics and promotes healthy, trainable, and hard-working dogs. My problem is people get border collies because they think "oh, smartest dog breed, I should get that!" and don't realize they're inviting a dog-shaped nuclear reactor bred to run around and chase sheep for 16+ hours a day into their home. People who want a pet dog should not get a border collie.

They can be rather willful too. Mine actively work together when trying to outsmart me.*

My two used to have some goats to "herd" when I lived on a farm, they don't now.

Murray (the long-haired one in my earlier picture) is pure-bred, his mom herds cattle and his dad is a champion sheepdog who won in Calgary in like 2012 or something like that. I didn't get him because he's pure-bred, I was actually looking for an Aussie at the time but couldn't find one without a docked tail (tail and ear docking for aesthetics should be illegal imo) and there was this ad on kijiji for adorable black and white border collie puppies and my dad, brother, and I went there the next day and Murray rode home on my lap.

Weaver, the short-haired one who is obviously not pure-bred, is part black lab, so part black lab that it's like someone took a black lab's head and stuck it on a border collie's body. Showed up at the farm about a year later, not but a week or two after I'd started thinking about getting a second dog so Murray would have someone else to harass.

Poor girl was terrified of everything, constantly submissive peeing, took me nearly 6 months to get her to be mostly normal. Even now, years later, she's still rather timid, acts out when too much is going on, etc. Negative reinforcement has never worked with her, even a strong "No" used to send her cowering in fear. Very affectionate dog too, I'll never understand why whoever it was that did this to her thought it was an okay thing to do.

*Sometimes they win.

E: The pictures in this post are the earliest pictures of both of my dogs that I have. Murray was 8 weeks, Weaver was approx 10 months and literally about to go into heat when she got spayed about a week after she showed up at the farm.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 27, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
For almost a year she'd piss, poo poo, and vomit in the car. I couldn't pick her up without her pissing. Couldn't wear a hat around her without her pissing. It sucked all-around.

I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat, but goddamn, years later and I still want to kick in the teeth of whoever it was that did that to her.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
This is making me miss my dogs hard right now because I'm working and they're at my folks' place since I kinda want to avoid using the kennel for entire shiftblocks until I absolutely have to start doing it. I need a new job as much for myself as for my dogs.

The dupont rotation I work doesn't just gently caress up my life, it fucks up their's too. We don't have a routine set time for walks because I am literally gone for 13 hours when I'm working and then changing over in between shift blocks. No daily routine for a dog is, well, just as bad as it is for a human. What sane person is walking their dogs at 3am one day and 4pm two days later and then 4am for the next four?

This is why I'm willing to commute up to 2.5-3 hours each way in my attempt to find a job with a normal work week. Even if it's just 30 minutes in the morning and 30 in the evening, at least it'll be routine and at least I'll have weekends to let them go hog wild on the property the shop's on until my parents sell it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Darchangel posted:

Are your dogs named after Ghostbusters actors?

Maybe.

My cat's named Egon.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Why I feel bad about the most awesome dog and cat naming scheme?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Got approved for the voluntary summer layoff at work. There's some caveats in the form of shifts where I'm required to be in to cover for the two people I'm a backup for. Looks like I'll only be able to collect unemployment during May. After tomorrow, I have to work 4 shifts in April, 1 in early May, 6 in mid to late June, and 6 in July. Layoff ends on Aug 2nd.

I had figured that they'd do this, and that it'd gently caress me for collecting EI but I'm okay with that because with essentially most of April and May off I'm hoping to call HR before June to inform them I'm not returning or able to work those shifts (especially since once is my Bro's birthday and I'm not missing that). This is gonna be my Year of the Job, AI, it must be, it will be.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

epic bird guy posted:

How are you only able to collect UI for May if you'll be out of work or have reduced hours until August?

3 weeks for it to start, can't apply until after my last April shift. Don't plan on being "unemployed" after May. Hell, I'm gonna start looking for my exit as soon as this block is over. I'd love to not need the layoff and ei at all.

Keep in mind that I work 12 hour shifts and so that's like a day and a half, gov will look at 6 shifts and say I worked two weeks. A full pay is 7 and I'm using up my vacation days in April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The number one problem, where I work, is lack of communication between all of the people who are 40+.

Most of the higher ups are 50+.

E: They're completely oblivious to it too. Last year "communication" was one of the major complaints received during the employee satisfaction survey they did and instead of realizing we were bitching about the fact they can't communicate, they did a lot of things to improve communication on the floor between grunts including a BBS that nobody uses because we actually already all talk to each other.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 31, 2018

• Locked thread