Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Sheffield, Keele and Leeds have apparently announced that any staff not rescheduling classes in the next five days are going to have 100% of pay withheld until they do. Kent have told striking sessional staff that they are having pay deducted at an hourly rate higher than their actual hourly rates for teaching missed so far. In essence meaning some people will be earning negative pay this month.

gently caress these cunts. gently caress these cunts who are destroying academia, and making it a vile, oppressive place to work. I think I’m going to start looking at what other professions I might have an aptitude for...

Edit: 2 is the number of fingers I’m giving any member of HR when I see them today. Think I’ll spend my seminars lecturing about strikes and civil disobedience...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
If you can read a manual, and casually bullshit when you don't know what the gently caress you're doing, you can come join me repairing things

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Just dug a path out front. Two feet of snow.

BlueSparkDrift
Sep 7, 2011

ukle posted:

RED WARNING NOW FOR THE SOUTH WEST / WALES! Starts tonight at 3pm!

Covers Cardiff, Exeter, and almost Bristol!
Between 15:00 Thu 1st and 02:00 Fri 2nd

A spell of heavy snow and blizzard conditions is expected. The snow will be accompanied by very strong easterly winds leading to severe drifting. Some places could also see significant ice build up due to freezing rain from later on Thursday evening, most likely in the south of the area. Long delays and cancellations of public transport seem highly likely. Some roads are likely to become blocked by deep snow, stranding vehicles and passengers. Long interruptions to power supplies and other utilities are very likely to occur, along with damage to trees and other structures due to heavy snow or ice.

PHONE WORK NOW, if you live in the area. If you are already at work speak to your boss make them aware the work needs to close today, its not safe.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=sw&date=2018-03-01&regionType=area

Thanks for this. Also thankful I'm not reliant on Arriva Trains to get back. They're already cancelling services I believe.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Zephro posted:

Rear wheel drive sucks in the snow

Colossal smugness as I was driving to work in my Skoda Fabia this morning overtaking Audis and other drivers who don't know the One Cool Trick to getting up icy inclines crawl in second gear

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pesmerga posted:

Sheffield, Keele and Leeds have apparently announced that any staff not rescheduling classes in the next five days are going to have 100% of pay withheld until they do. Kent have told striking sessional staff that they are having pay deducted at an hourly rate higher than their actual hourly rates for teaching missed so far. In essence meaning some people will be earning negative pay this month.

gently caress these cunts. gently caress these cunts who are destroying academia, and making it a vile, oppressive place to work. I think I’m going to start looking at what other professions I might have an aptitude for...

Edit: 2 is the number of fingers I’m giving any member of HR when I see them today. Think I’ll spend my seminars lecturing about strikes and civil disobedience...

I usually find I express myself better in writing than I do in person, but I can't figure out how to get across how absolutely loving furious this makes me

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pesmerga posted:

They did basically the same thing to doctors. We worked out that the 'daily' rate we were being deducted for striking would exceed our monthly salary in about 18 days.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Winter can just piss off already

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Kegluneq posted:

Colossal smugness as I was driving to work in my Skoda Fabia this morning overtaking Audis and other drivers who don't know the One Cool Trick to getting up icy inclines crawl in second gear

Fill the boot with bricks?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Excellent ham themed OP PS, would touch with sex parts if I was a former Tory MP.

Zephro posted:

Rear wheel drive sucks in the snow
Put some sandbags in the back.

ukle posted:

RED WARNING NOW FOR THE SOUTH WEST / WALES! Starts tonight at 3pm!

Thanks Ants posted:

He’s going to be such an enormous oval office in any committee that he’s asked to give evidence to

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Biggus Dickus posted:

Fill the boot with bricks?

Front wheel drive and flipping the drivers of more expensive cars the bird works too

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
National Grid Warns UK is Running Out of Gas:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/01/uk-is-running-out-of-gas-national-grid-warns-freezing-weather?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The Guardian posted:

National Grid has issued a warning that the UK will not have enough gas to meet demand on Thursday, as temperatures plummeted and imports were hit by outages.

It is thought unlikely that the situation will affect supply to households, but if enough extra gas supplies by pipeline or ship are not forthcoming, it could affect industrial users.

Within-day wholesale gas prices soared 74% to 200p per therm after the formal deficit warning, which acts as a call to suppliers to bring forward more gas on Thursday. Prices have since fallen back to 170p.

National Grid’s forecast for the day shows a shortfall across the day of 49.5m cubic metres below the country’s projected need of 395.7mcm. National Grid’s warning aims to fill that gap.

Widespread snow and temperatures of -7.8C due to the “Beast from the East” and Storm Emma have prompted consumers to fire up their heating. Public health authorities recommend an indoor temperature of 18C.

As a result gas demand is at a five-year high, according to market watchers Platts.

The situation has been compounded by several outages to supply, including problems with a pipeline to the Netherlands, reductions in gas flows from Norway and technical issues at facilities in the UK, including the North Morecambe Barrow terminal.

The jump in gas prices is much higher than the one in December after a major North Sea pipeline was closed for repairs.

The crunch is also the UK’s first major energy security test since the country’s biggest gas storage facility was closed by Centrica last year. The Rough site in the North Sea had accounted for 70% of the UK’s gas storage.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Got into work and got told we're closed from midday through the weekend :getin:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Taking bets on the first tabloid to have the headline “RED WARNING” with a picture of the absolute boy next to it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pesmerga posted:

Doesn't your union have a strike fund or something to compensate for lost wages

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I took the day off for a flat inspect and some other stuff but they just cancelled on me and now a red warning has been issued, thus my day being taken off for nothing :thunk:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Had to force myself out the door today, guess that's what I get for staying indoors yesterday

(there's a snowdrift right behind the door)

https://twitter.com/ThaumPenguin/status/969118906668503040

At least the snow's fairly light

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Reports of the M62 is shut near Huddersfield - so if you go over the tops at all you are now hosed as near enough every other main trans Pennine road route is shut - only the M65 is open.

update - M62 is shut southbound the snowplow that was clearing it has got itself stuck, god knows what they do in that situation.

ukle fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 1, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pesmerga posted:

How is this not straight up illegal?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Kegluneq posted:

Front wheel drive and flipping the drivers of more expensive cars the bird works too
Our tiny Citroen c1 is surprisingly good in the snow because it weighs nothing and is FWD. The fact the engine is like 65hp helps with avoiding wheelspin too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because the government actually doesn't like strikers.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Who could have guessed that closing Britain's only significant storage site would be a really bad idea

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Zephro posted:

Who could have guessed that closing Britain's only significant storage site would be a really bad idea

I don't know if you've noticed but "thinking things through" isn't one of the tories' strengths.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Miftan posted:

I don't know if you've noticed but "thinking things through" isn't one of the tories' strengths.

Killing the vulnerable is. They just misjudged this time, because it's going to be pensioners.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jedit posted:

How is this not straight up illegal?

In broad contractual terms (not an employment lawyer), withholding moneys due under a contract is a breach of contract, but, if a person so doing has also suffered a loss as a result of the other party's breach, they've got a defence by way of set off up to the value of that loss; for most staff, not rescheduling lectures is a breach of contract, so - assuming the universities use the withheld moneys to bring in scabs strikebreakers scabs, or refund students (lol) - they're entitled to deduct it. Since that's not gonna happen, I'm guessing it's just a negotiating tactic: it's pretty common to respond to a threatened breach of contract by saying "actually I believe I am entitled to withhold more money than you & your lawyers think I am so I'm just gonna do it anyway", since there'll probably be litigation either way (and that way you get to hang onto the cash until the courts sort it out/the other party gets bored and goes away). Since bosses are generally scumbags & will pull any tactic to scare people out of striking, seems like a fairly obvious step.

We do have a strike fund, and it's not a lot but my branch voted to throw in £5k (plus individual contributions) yesterday & it sounds like we'll be tripling it if we can't swing another reballot, so at least we're doing something. Anyone in hardship should talk to the Union.

e: context

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 1, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Let's increase our dependency on imported fossil fuels by ending subsidies for local wind and solar generation what could possibly go wro-

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Reopen the pits.

Then put the Tories inside.

Then seal them again.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Everyone's working from home except for me. I'm the anti-Jose

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Gort posted:

Let's increase our dependency on imported fossil fuels by ending subsidies for local wind and solar generation what could possibly go wro-

In fairness, I'm not sure what more solar panels will do to power my gas central heating.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Reopen the pits.

Then put the Tories inside.

Then seal them again.

what if they escape though

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Regarde Aduck posted:

Did that claim that the person in charge of picking the audiences is a big old fascist turn out to be true? Because if so they might have an infestation.

Not only was that true, that person is still in the same job I believe

lol

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mehall posted:

In fairness, I'm not sure what more solar panels will do to power my gas central heating.
I think the point is to phase out gas where it's easy to do, so the stockpile lasts longer for the people who don't have alternatives. Though obviously they need to get with the program too and embrace a non-carbon future.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
This gas shortage wouldn't have happened if those eco warriors didn't get a pissy fit over fracking

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

quote:

On Labour’s move to support a new customs union with the EU, he said: “I think the labour party shift is sensible although frankly I think they will very soon find that we have got to move further in order to solve the dilemma ourselves.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/01/tony-blair-pm-has-no-hope-of-achieving-brexit-aims

that's Blair there praising the current Labour cabinet :D

MrTundra
Aug 19, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Doesn't your union have a strike fund or something to compensate for lost wages

We do, but this is still disgusting behaviour by the Universities and pointing it out is only right.

In vaguely related news, since the recent exposure that Oxford had pushed hard for the adoption of defined contribution pensions by USS without any internal consultation a motion is now being rushed to Congregation to reverse this position and accept the level of risk associated with a defined benefit system. It would be helpful if it passed, but I suspect it's not likely to.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I heard that interview, it wasn't exactly "praise" - branding it as a "shift" when it's just the same thing they've been saying the whole time (albeit a bit clearer), and then immediately moving on to a "but". It was a thinly veiled Tony-knows-best piece, with patronising nods to the fact that the current leadership are way more popular than he is.

MikeCrotch posted:

Not only was that true, that person is still in the same job I believe
I did not know this.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Looke posted:

what if they escape though

That's fine, it won't be for ten thousand years.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Matt Matt Hancock Hancock is closing the Leveson Inquiry because there's nothing wrong with print journalism at all no siree

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Everyone's working from home except for me. I'm the anti-Jose

The anti Jose would massively over prepare for the snow and die immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mehall posted:

Power an electrolysis cell from the solar panel, electrolyse acetic acid to ethane, burn the ethane in your boiler. Efficiency!

Alternatively just use sunlight to grow leafy things in a vertical garden along your back wall and compost them into methane.

e:^^^ Jesús and Jose, a modern day Goofus and Gallant.

• Locked thread