Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

crispix posted:

Polly Toynbee actually wrung a book out of doing exactly that - "Hard Work". She went around fraudulently claiming benefits, needlessly occupying a flat that others were likely desperate to get into and wasting the time of people at the job centre, social services and people at places that had jobs to fill. This was her doing her bit in the world :psyduck:

when the revolution comes shes going to be spending a lot of time at the job centre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

nopantsjack posted:

when the revolution comes shes going to be spending a lot of time at the job centre

And enjoy a decent standard of living as a result, because we’ll take care of all society’s needy 👍🏻

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There will be a special Job Centre where ex-columnists go

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Has anyone got that Farage newspaper ad mock up that was posted in the thread?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

When you think about it a gulag is really just a job center without the free market.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This one?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That's the one - thanks! :)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Pesky Splinter posted:

you loving monster

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Did you need it for your wank bank?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

nopantsjack posted:

It was bizarre to read. It was just all about her and how she felt about roleplaying as a poor person. Zero loving self-awareness, but then that really is loving everything on the Guardian bar the crossword.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

you loving monster

Nova88 posted:

Did you need it for your wank bank?

It's for sad wanking and Anti-semitism
I'm just working on the OP for later :ssh:

[e]: :lol: Did Polly Toynbee seriously role play being poor? loving hell.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 31, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Imagine seeing a rise in the number of homeless and your first thought being "hmm I bet some of them are faking".

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Esther McVey wants to bring back child labour - I'm paraphrasing but it's pretty obvious that that's what she is aiming for in the long term.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Really thought we'd gotten rid of McVey

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ookiimarukochan posted:

Esther McVey wants to bring back child labour - I'm paraphrasing but it's pretty obvious that that's what she is aiming for in the long term.

We won't need immigrants coming over to pick our fruit in summer when we force the 14 year olds to do it!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I love the whole "they need to learn what adult life will be like for them" thing. Somehow I don't think this necessarily applies to posh kids, because *mumble* *mumble* *something about being better led towards responsibility by their very responsible parents*.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ookiimarukochan posted:

I wish I could be surprised at how transparent it is.

"Hmm...now the workers from Europe aren't coming, who else can we undercharge for their labour...oh! I know!"

As if poo poo wasn't bad enough.

Thanks Ants posted:

Really thought we'd gotten rid of McVey

Nope, she's still W&P sec. Unfortunately.

Private Speech posted:

I love the whole "they need to learn what adult life will be like for them" thing. Somehow I don't think this necessarily applies to posh kids, because *mumble* *mumble* *something about being better led towards responsibility by their very responsible parents*.

When dearest Papa can give you a job in the media on a grossly inflated salary and no experience in writing, you'll have known the struggle it is to get work, and that's all the responsibility you need. The poors are simply making a fuss over nothing. Think of all the benefits of a zero hours contract and all that free time you'll have to play bingo or whatever it is you do to pass the time *adjusts monocle*.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 31, 2018

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Thanks Ants posted:

Their new job will be to place a sphereoid filled with fat into a basket. See the diagram below:
:thermidor:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

The Labour official at the centre of an anti-Semitism row has resigned from the party's ruling committee.

In a statement, Christine Shawcroft said: "It is clear that my continued membership of the NEC has become a distraction for the party and an excuse for endless intrusive media harassment of myself, my family and friends."

She will be replaced by comedian Eddie Izzard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43605840

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Thanks Ants posted:

We could do a Goodbye Lenin deal where they think the Job Center hasn't changed, since they're so insistent it's not as bad as people make out.

I personally volunteer to play one of the interviewers there who treat them with open contempt and tell them to just get over chronic illnesses.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I mean it's not like it's an uncommon thought. A thread or two ago we had people saying they'd seen beggars buying gas for a car, and that experience made them question their legitimacy. It's like a lot of things in society--if you want to build a case for spending more money on [underprivileged group], you've got to make them look pretty loving miserable.

I do think rich people whining about rich beggars is offensive though. If they genuinely think they're making a killing, shouldn't they congratulate them on their entrepreneurist spirit and business acumen?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Turns out the whole antisemitism scandal was Eddie Izzard playing the long game. Despite appearances he's actually a shrewd, Machiavellian political operative working in the shadows.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TomViolence posted:

Turns out the whole antisemitism scandal was Eddie Izzard playing the long game. Despite appearances he's actually a shrewd, Machiavellian political operative working in the shadows.

How anti-Yemenic of you to suggest such a theory.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

crispix posted:

Polly Toynbee actually wrung a book out of doing exactly that - "Hard Work". She went around fraudulently claiming benefits, needlessly occupying a flat that others were likely desperate to get into and wasting the time of people at the job centre, social services and people at places that had jobs to fill. This was her doing her bit in the world :psyduck:

That's part of a proud tradition though. I guess it depends on whether it's a cheap tourism report or she did it to actually highlight stuff missing in media coverage though

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Seaside Loafer posted:

I know its a contentious issue but I want to understand. What are 'the rules' for self identifying as your not original gender. In all the debates and arguments it seems like anyone can just decide to self-identify as whatever and it is because a person decides makes it so. Dont have a problem with that personally but is it a real commitment, does it even matter if it isn't?

I get the feeling that the main problem the feminist group has is that the situation is that any man can wake up one morning and decide to identify themselves as a women and expect to be treated as a women with all everything that goes along with it.

Just so my personal stance is clear im aware that gender identity disorder is a thing that is real and i could give a toss if people want to identify as anything and think the feminist group is being a bit over the top in its reaction.

There is stuff I dont understand about all this, help pls!

Some people have already answered but I'll throw in my two cents anyway because I'm still wrestling with enough residual maleness to assume everyone wants my thoughts on everything :)

In short, most trans people don't give a toss how others identify and are quite happy to include people at more-or-less any stage of transition or questioning. This is partly because our own experiences are often ones of very deep and long-term questioning, thinking, introspection, etc. etc., so it's a good deal harder to sustain the belief that anyone would do all this for a lark. There will be people who claim to be trans and then change their mind, but that's a good thing, it means they felt comfortable exploring that aspect of themselves and as well as hopefully ending up happier personally, it speaks well of a society that they can do so. The scaremongering put about by TERFs and right-wingers (but I repeat myself :v:) makes it seem like transitioning is a ploy in an 80s comedy where some college boys try to get into the sorority house or something.

Combined with a general belief that people are, in the main, the best judges of their own identity, and combine both those with the fact that for many people it may be deeply unsafe to present as their identified gender (or they may have other reasons for not doing so/delaying/etc.) and yes, more or less, the expectation is that people can freely identify as whatever gender identity they see fit. And in addition to all THAT, we're also learning that there's more scope for gender identity than just male and female, whether trans or cis; agender, bigender, genderqueer expressions of all sorts, so it reinforces further still the idea that there are complexities and subtleties in all this which can't really be decided upon by fiat rules, only by the individuals having their experiences.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
if you had asked me to predict how Eddie Izzard would finally obtain that NEC seat, this wouldn't be it

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/980156582955712512

(a pisstake on the grief Eddie Marsan was getting last week from some dipshits, I assume)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No Paul Staines tweets in here :argh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So Shawcroft's out of the NEC then?

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

No Paul Staines tweets in here :argh:

Sorry, should have spoilered it

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's part of a proud tradition though. I guess it depends on whether it's a cheap tourism report or she did it to actually highlight stuff missing in media coverage though

The point is that there is a better way to do it: talk to people living that life instead of pauping up for a few weeks.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Ms Adequate posted:

In short, most trans people don't give a toss how others identify and are quite happy to include people at more-or-less any stage of transition or questioning. This is partly because our own experiences are often ones of very deep and long-term questioning, thinking, introspection, etc. etc., so it's a good deal harder to sustain the belief that anyone would do all this for a lark. There will be people who claim to be trans and then change their mind, but that's a good thing, it means they felt comfortable exploring that aspect of themselves and as well as hopefully ending up happier personally, it speaks well of a society that they can do so.

I agree with the whole of your post but yes this in particular - sometimes I do wonder what it would have been like if I had grown up in a society where it was like, entirely okay for a kid to just show up to school one day as a different gender to give it a shot if they feel like it. I think I would have figured out some stuff a bit sooner.

There are some trans people who are very keen on gatekeeping who gets to be a Real Trans or not but imo unless we ever come up with a bit of paper you can pee on that tells you if you're trans or not the only way to really know is to live in that person's head. And sometimes the only way that person can know is by trying to live a certain way and be called a thing and see how it feels, and even then it might take them a while to figure out what their deal is.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

crispix posted:

The point is that there is a better way to do it: talk to people living that life instead of pauping up for a few weeks.

Or better yet, get onto the editors to encourage actual working class writers to submit pieces instead of harvesting the same old warmed-over takes from the same old stable of privileged hacks.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

crispix posted:

In most cases, sure. In others, readers might be better persuaded by having a "neutral voice" check whether people living that life are legit or whether they all actually own refrigerators or whatever

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Think the thing is, there's already a vast preponderance of such "neutral" voices in the media cosplaying as poor people or paternalistically fighting their corner from above. Perhaps we can have those and genuine working class voices in media.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What do you think the lady who's managed to make a long well paid career out of nothing more than being Arnold Toynbee's grand-daughter did? I tell a lie, she was also involved heavily with the SDP, a group now better known as "Orange Book Lib Dems" though she claims to be a long term Labour supporter (who, shockingly, isn't a fan of Corbyn)

As for Hadley Freeman, don't forget that she's a privileged super-wealthy American slumming it as a British journalist, and luckily that strongly suggests that she's very much out of step with the majority culture in the UK. Even the Daily Mail had some trans-positive coverage today and they're the paper that literally hounded that poor trans teacher to death a few years ago (and the response to that probably showed them that social values had changed enough that they'd have to pay lip service to trans people being acutal people rather than figures of hate if they wanted to keep on selling papers)

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

OwlFancier posted:

So Shawcroft's out of the NEC then?

Yep with Izzard probably getting her spot until the seat comes up for election in June. How does that balance out the seats? Copied from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Executive_Committee#NEC_Officers

Leader of the Labour Party - Jeremy Corbyn MP
Deputy Leader of the Labour Party - Tom Watson MP
Chair of the NEC - Andy Kerr (CWU)
Vice-Chair of the NEC - Jennie Formby (Unite)
Treasurer of the NEC - Diana Holland
Chair of Organisation Committee - Jim Kennedy (Unite)
NEC Co-Convenor of the JPC - Cath Speight (GMB)
Chair of the Disputes Panel - Vacant[4] Likely goes to Izzard.
Chair of the National Policy Forum (when a member of the NEC) - Not currently an NEC member This was the one where the right wingers tried to force a vote outside the NEC rules and they had to be shouted down by Kerr.

From what I can see Kerr, Holland, Formby, and Kennedy are all associated with Unite so should back Corbyn but that leaves Watson, Izzard, and Speight as the right wingers.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 31, 2018

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The NEC has other members besides the officers, and why the gently caress should Izzard get Chair of the Disputes Panel? This ain't no hereditary system.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Hadley Freeman needs to get in the sea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
That's the way the news is spinning it, with one NEC member down Izzard gets the vacant spot as he was "first runner up last vote". Looking into how the actual NEC works further down on that page I don't quite see their reasoning either now.

• Locked thread