Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The show seems to want us to, but it isn't working. She is absolutely wrong here and just making things worse for everyone in New Seattle.

Except she'll ultimately be a hero because her illegal activities found someome immune and they will magically find another cure.

But even then she is still not the good guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Definitely seemed like it was on the bubble for a minute but iZombie has been renewed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

#lesbians #twins #badonkadonk

I am eagerly awaiting Angus to unleash all his acolytes and really gently caress up New Seattle then the city gets nuked

muscles like this! posted:

Definitely seemed like it was on the bubble for a minute but iZombie has been renewed.

:neckbeard:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm starting to think that Chase may not be as benevolent as we all assumed.
I guess you have to make him look bad so Liv seems slightly more reasonable.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Won't lie, I shed a tear, possibly more than one, last night.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Was I the only one who found Isobel incredibly annoying? She was acting like a snotty brat in almost every single scene, but the general consensus seems to be that she was cute and adorable.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oasx posted:

Was I the only one who found Isobel incredibly annoying? She was acting like a snotty brat in almost every single scene, but the general consensus seems to be that she was cute and adorable.

I'll let you know once I catch up on these last two episodes, but her intro episode I already found her kind of annoying so

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Oasx posted:

I mean she was a teenage kid dying of a terminal illness who chose to stay behind in Seattle instead of going home to her family to be a guinea pig for the greater good. She might've been a little impetuous but she wanted to knock out some things on her bucket list and she knew she didn't have long.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Isobel is a lot of fun so far, I'm surprised. I thought she would be way more smarmy and precoious after she was first introduced, but she's written p well imo and the actress is good.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

That was a hell of an episode.

Edit: I like Chase Graves villain arc as a guy who's trying to keep everything together through authoritarian means and then snapping under the strain of it all.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 15, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm really not feeling this season, but it's not for a lack of the show trying. I think it's just a handful of misjudged elements in pacing and tone that are sort of dragging it down for me.

Like, to me, this scenario is borderline apocalyptic. And sometimes it wants to be dramatic about it, and tell the tragic story of refugees stuck at the border crossing. And then it wants to be comical, and have Liv dress up as Peyton. Either approach would be fine, but in the same scene?

Chase's mental instability is tragic and dramatic. Brother Love is darkly comical. The same choir backing them is confusing.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I like Chase Graves villain arc as a guy who's trying to keep everything together through authoritarian means and then snapping under the strain of it all.

The sad part is that he genuinely didn't intend to kill anyone at the end there. He shoots incompetent (zombie) officers in the chest when they gently caress up badly, it's his MO. But Captain Seattle (understandably) freaked out and tried to kill Chase, compelling Chase to shoot Captain Seattle dead. It's basically the entire New Seattle arc in microcosm.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 16, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know that it was partly a set up for Liv's brain of the week but anyone else think that they're aiming for something bigger with the flu outbreak from this week's episode? It just seemed like a whole lot of humans were sick all at once.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

I know that it was partly a set up for Liv's brain of the week but anyone else think that they're aiming for something bigger with the flu outbreak from this week's episode? It just seemed like a whole lot of humans were sick all at once.

I don't expect people are very keen to get a flu vaccine after last time.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Final season http://deadline.com/2018/05/jane-the-virgin-crazy-ex-girlfriend-i-zombie-end-upcoming-seasons-canceled-the-cw-1202392949/

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Considering the way it's escalated this feels appropriate.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That gives Rob Thomas time to write more Veronica Mars.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm 100% content with them having a season to wrap this up, especially with the way poo poo has been escalating these past two seasons. I don't think they could really keep it going, esp with such a goofy tone, for too much longer.

Oasx posted:

That gives Rob Thomas time to write more Veronica Mars.

yes pls

also bring back party down

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isobel looks like a young Carey Mulligan.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I know it was meant to be set up for dramatic flair, but it seemed really strange that Isobel just kinda died off camera. I get the impression that her mom was the breaking point and the real catalyst for the sickness, cause she died pretty much immediately after her mom came. Also I get the impression that the Peyton disguise didn't work in the long run, but how did she think it was going to work at all? I mean, she's a pretty high profile person and just coming in and making a scene will draw even more scrutiny.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Anyone know who Peyton's parents were, and if they'd been on Veronica Mars?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

spookygonk posted:

Anyone know who Peyton's parents were, and if they'd been on Veronica Mars?

Al Sapienza played Papa Charles, and Jill Teed played Peyton's mother. Neither had been on Veronica Mars (probably because they're New York and Vancouver based, respectively).

Who were they reminding you of?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Open Source Idiom posted:

Al Sapienza played Papa Charles, and Jill Teed played Peyton's mother. Neither had been on Veronica Mars (probably because they're New York and Vancouver based, respectively).

Who were they reminding you of?

They just looked familiar somehow, and now looking at their IMDB filmographies (which I should have done instead of just posting here) I see they've been in shows I've watched.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aw poo poo Hobbs playing both sides. Chase is totally going to die in the finale next week :(

Ravi as an instagram model was :discourse:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ravi at the bar was so good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bring back old gbs posted:

Ravi at the bar was so good

Remember that time he got super high and danced at the club?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I kind of wonder if they would have pushed so hard on this new cure if the show hadn't been so clearly on the bubble.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The show's always been pretty good about keeping a good place, relationship drama aside (and most of that is just because it's a CW show).

Tweets from Rob Thomas made it sound like five seasons was pretty much his plan from the show, iirc. I'm sure some stuff got pushed or changed, but he made it sound like there was a pretty clear vision he wanted once he saw the show was doing well early on.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wow, way to torpedo your relationship with Liv, Major. Him spiking her brains was super uncomfortable.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wow, way to torpedo your relationship with Liv, Major. Him spiking her brains was super uncomfortable.
This isn't the first time someone got brain-roofied. It happened earlier in the season to Major when he was tricked into eating Pro Wrestler brain. It's really weird that the writers don't seem to realize how serious a crime brain-roofying someone would be in the real world.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Season finale tonight!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Man this finale was really sloppy and kinda lovely.

Very disappointed that no one even made the argument that Renegade 1.0 and Liv were making things worse in New Seattle just so they could save a few lives. In fact, Major is now encouraging the smuggling people into New Seattle even though America has shut off their brain supply. I guess they can get them from other countries, but :psyduck: And Major's solution is just to tell Blaine to smuggle in more brains :laffo:

Holy poo poo did Chase go out like a bitch.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I really enjoyed it, personally. It has enough loose ends to go into S5, but it wrapped things up well enough that they could have had it as the show finale if CW did not pick up another.

I like Major as the FG head. If Liv is opening the doors, then the U.S. government has to reconcile the fact that not only do some citizens want to become zombies, but that Seattle is providing a service for terminally ill and handicapped that modern science cannot. It'll be interesting to see where that goes.

I also like that they kept Clive as human. While it'd be an interesting what-if, his presence as a human constant has always been a nice little buffer.

I hate waiting a year for this show each time. :(

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Man this finale was really sloppy and kinda lovely.

Very disappointed that no one even made the argument that Renegade 1.0 and Liv were making things worse in New Seattle just so they could save a few lives. In fact, Major is now encouraging the smuggling people into New Seattle even though America has shut off their brain supply. I guess they can get them from other countries, but :psyduck: And Major's solution is just to tell Blaine to smuggle in more brains :laffo:

Holy poo poo did Chase go out like a bitch.

They've escalated from FG defending the gates to the US army shooting hundreds of escaping zombies. The government has basically given New Seattle a timetable to total failure. There's no real consequence to turning anyone new because they're all screwed as is, unless, as the last line of the season was clear about, zombies and humans can work together. Like maybe they've set up many conflicts for the final season.

That said, Clive and Dale's wedding vows were so on the nose that mine had an itch, it was weird that the cure was suddenly one-time-only and Isobel was such an odd little side story, and Levon was there and then died and no one cared.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Psychepath posted:

That said, Clive and Dale's wedding vows were so on the nose that mine had an itch, it was weird that the cure was suddenly one-time-only and Isobel was such an odd little side story, and Levon was there and then died and no one cared.
I suspect they started at the end and worked their way back like this:

a. How can we get a cure into Dale?
b. Ravi has to find a new cure
c. The new cure can't be mass produced or the show ends.
d. What if the cure was to eat the whole brain of someone special?

and thus Isobel was born.

The tradition of everyone Liv loves dying continues.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Dale being a zombie is the biggest dropped ball of the whole season imo. I was reading previews of there being a zombie division of the police that she would be the head of, but that got turned over to the baffling french FG guy, so Dale was just a guilt elemental for most episodes. You're probably right. And Clive does deserve a good ending, so he's probably doomed next year.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I was a bit surprised that there was no cliffhanger or anything leading into the final season (maybe cause they didn't know yet if there was going to be one), but it's even stranger that honestly everything worked out positively for everyone. Even Blaine and Donny got their weeping muscle back and were not set to be 'heroes' supplying brains to the community, and they were pretty much villains the entire season. I suppose it did suck for Levon but man, that guy was kind of a non-entity outside of being Liv's disposable boyfriend. I was also pretty confused by Blaine's emotional 180? Why again did he start to feel bad about his dad dying? And was the French FG officer just playing the field or why did he turn on Blaine's dad?

I mean it was an enjoyable season after all but that season finale just seemed rushed and it didn't have much spirit behind it and felt more like a series finale where everything gets wrapped up.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That French guy would really be at home as a prosecutor in an Ace Attorney game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I felt was kind of awkward about this season as a whole was how much of the plot revolved around the zombie guillotine but they couldn't actually show it being used. Kind of reminded me of that 47 Ronin movie from a couple of years ago where the climax of the movie is the ronin committing seppuku but since the movie was PG-13 they couldn't actually show it.

Also the scene where they killed Angus looked really weird, kind of like they couldn't actually get Robert Knepper to do the shot and had to CG him in there.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I know it was a contrived setup, but Liv giving away her cure to Clive and Dale was my favorite moment of the show in a while.

Also, I'm real disappointed Major didn't just tell Blaine "hey, so now that I'm in power, remember how you murdered all those kids in season 1? Die in a ditch."

discworld is all I read posted:

And was the French FG officer just playing the field or why did he turn on Blaine's dad?

This is the part I'm confused about. The only explanation I can think of is that the entire time, he was running a long con to massacre Angus and his entire flock in a way that would be justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

This is the part I'm confused about. The only explanation I can think of is that the entire time, he was running a long con to massacre Angus and his entire flock in a way that would be justified.
Kind of, but also to curry favor with the U.S. military, to get them back on the side of Fillmore Graves by setting up a dangerous zombie group intent on escaping New Seattle and slaughtering humans, to show that Fillmore Graves was willing to cooperate with the outside world.

• Locked thread