Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not finished the season yet, but that Keith / Shiro episode was something else. Most intense kids cartoon since Korra, probably. Just wish they had something closer to that show's budget so they could do that kind of thing more regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's good.

There are some really good hand-to-hand combat sequences in the first half, and then some absolutely insane mech action in the back half. If anything there's a bit too much action -- I'd have liked a little more character work on occasion. But it's good, and well paced, and the season's pushing the envelope in a lot of a lotta ways.

I really hope Dreamworks let them keep up this level of intensity going in the final season, because that was intensely fun.

Pyrotoad posted:

Welp :downs:

I'm glad Zethrid and Ezor got to be a thing for like five minutes. I'm not in denial they're dead gently caress you.

Wait, what?I thought they got away. :(

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The actress who plays Pidge seems to think they're alive.

https://twitter.com/IBexWeBex/status/1028392089082417152

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I finished it and I'm not sure a lot of that worked. Seems like a troubled production that led to some plotlines being shortchanged (Lotor, the magic black space balls, Hunk's LI, the return of the amazing space lesbians) or handled, bizarrely, completely offscreen (whatever was going on with the Balmora at the end there, Shiro hooking up with co-pilot Number 7, Alteans rebelling against Honerva -- other than that one random pilot tries it and then explodes). I guess my read's concomitant with some of the production stuff I've heard as well, about last minute changes.

There's some really, really great episodes in there though. But there's a few too many developments in the final episodes and the climax becomes a bit random and arbitrary.

Laughed pretty hard at how brazen that final shot is. Impressed, for a variety of reasons, but at the same time disappointed by the frustrating trend it represents. But it's good! But it's disappointing!

But the show's good!

nine-gear crow posted:

In conclusion, Voltron is a land of contrasts, and one amazing show and one hell of a high note for Andrea Romano to end her career on.

Wait, what? No!

Sad now. She's great, a total mainstay of high quality animation, and classy lady probably; I've just decided.

Oh wow, poo poo. Optic neuropathy. That's hosed. -____-

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 15, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

That final shot is a blatant last-second “please forgive us, we’re really sorry” response to the backlash over fridging Adam last season, so yeah I’ll give you that one.

Yeah, I'm mostly happy that it exists within the show itself...

My frustrations, in respect to their priority, are: a) it represents the third animated kids show I can think of that's been forced to reveal its queerness in its final scene, (after Korra and Adventure Time), a recurring trend that makes me incredibly angry at how deeply gutless Dreamworks is, b) the other guy had maybe two lines the entire show and I only remembered who he was because he's the extra who I kept getting confused with camera dude, and c) it's not Keith.

And yeah, I can absolutely believe that it was added in at the last minute. Though what I heard was that they had to have actors in to record lines for some of the new material, so even if it was a last minute addition, it can't have been the only thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the internet reaction has been fairly mad.

My favourite terrible argument about the ending was that Lance's fate -- to become a happy farmer -- was somehow racist.

It's classic shipper grief. Anger and bargaining.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GGundam8 posted:

Just like Korra it tries to use a razzmatazz ending with Shiro to change the conversation from the poo poo sandwich they just served up.

Yeah, because the only reason a bunch of artists would ever want to write about gay characters is as a ratings stunt.

This is nonsense.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I laughed really, really hard at the "this is an emergency, drop the camera!" joke. She actually dropped the camera!

Also, I suspect -- baselessly, tbh -- that those two character map onto production staff, and are something of a meta joke. There's certainly a lot of meta stuff in the episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GGundam8 posted:

You need to dust the chips off your shoulders. I couldn't careless which characters are banging. This series has very little to do with romance. You should be mad at the creators for using characters like that. Don't praise them for doing a half rear end job. Don't excuse bad writing just because 2 dudes kissed.I'm not saying you do but I've seen many that do this.

It's less than optimal, and I've said as much upthread. But I also recognise that this is the reality of what the American Action Cartoon, as the genre currently stands, can best achieve.

It's not just Korra that's had a last minute same-sex couple reveal. It's Adventure Time, and Gravity Falls too. It is what it is; I choose to both celebrate the milestones (and this is one) while also acknowledging the flaws. I'm not excusing poor narrative logic present in the episode (again, see my complains upthread), but it doesn't change my experience being largely a positive one.

But that's not what I was saying, originally. My objection is to your argument that the show would use the frisson of sexuality to cover up for its flaws. I think, honestly, that the choice to depict a male, same-sex kiss, was irrelevant to what came immediately before it in the episode. The realities of the industry suggests to me that kiss would have had to be snuck passed an executive, much like Adventure Time's was. That's something I see supported by the relative crudity of the animation (as compared to the show's typical standards). It feels personal, and clandestine, and not cynically manipulative. Frankly, it strikes me as an act of protest. And that I do support.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
She-Ra also went into production after Voltron, so it's largely standing on the other show's shoulders. (That, and Steven Universe). It also has less dude!gay going on, so it's a different kettle of fish. And there's some level of documentation floating around that the writers fought an uphill battle to have queer dudes included on the show.

I can't find the quote now, but a Dreamworks executive was quoted as saying that he'd be perfectly fine to produce the second show with onscreen queer rep, but not the first.

But yeah, you're completely correct about the show floundering starting with the Honerva's brain two-parter. Why not just fight the magic space balls for your climax? (Instead they apparently just up and vanish for some reason).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ending spoilers:

hemale in pain posted:

How did anyone know what to do during the end fight there? allura spouts some destiny crap and magically sacrifices herself by uhhh... reverting the magic of Haggars mech which ughh... restores all the other realities for some reason? then they float off to hang out with some force ghosts

It's a thematic thing.

All season Haggar's been the sort of anti-Voltron; she claims she wants her people to work with her and for them to together find the promised land, but she's just interested in using and discarding the Alteans she controls, justifying it by claiming their sacrifices are made for the greater good. Of course, it's not for the greater good, it's all about her supporting her selfish needs and healing her pain. She lost her family, and they're the only people who matter to her.

(Basically, Voltron's all about teamwork, Haggar's all about exploitation).

At the end of the show, Haggar's absorbed an insane amount of power, but she only has the knowledge of how to use quintessence to destroy. Thanks to her bond with Lotor, Alura knows how to use the quintessence to create life, but she doesn't have the power to do so. Allura voluntarily gives her knowledge and essence to Haggar, so that Haggar can restore the universe, in a process that kills them both. Haggar's allowed to be a mother again (she gives birth to universes) and honours her son's legacy in a way that prioritises the needs of others (the universes get to live!) over her own needs (Haggar dies!).

Allura... I guess she saves her people by giving up her body and her life? It's not a terribly good ending for Allura tbh.

They ascend / go to heaven / whatever, to suggest that even though they're dying they both getting what they truly want out of this.

I don't love it, but I think it makes some sense.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

The part where the Alteans storm the bridge was maybe the dumbest moment of the whole show. Six unarmed morons break out of a cell and walk right onto the bridge and no one so much as even attempts to stop them.

They could punch through doors with their bare hands, I'd imagine they're not pushovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McTimmy posted:

I'll totally agree there was some jank in the last two seasons and maybe a cut episode but a grand conspiracy solely to destroy a ship it was not.

Yeah, while I also suspect there was some cut and reedited content throughout this final season -- the point about the weird split screen spacing is compelling, if nothing else -- I don't think it's possible to say exactly what was cut. Not at a casual distance anyway.