Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

froglet posted:

Not a joke question, but... What could the union's actually do if he put it out there that coal needs to die. I mean, they can't join the libs, they'd get screwed over, and the greens would agree with that statement...

He'd lose the support of the factional hacks aligned to that union, and probably get rumbled for someone more spineless.

I would have thought it would be better for the workers if we made a planned, controlled break from coal mining with a large series of infrastructure projects to take in the affected workers (because the alternative is a sudden closure of mines as coal prices collapse), and I would have thought that if it was good for the workers then the union would be right behind it. But while I support the union movement I'd not be surprised in the slightest if there was some powerbroker at the top of the CFMEU or whoever who doesn't want that to happen because it might mean people joining a different union, which would cost that person influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

froglet posted:

The strange thing is he might win if he just says "coal is hosed and we need to find new industries for people to work in. Let's say no to Adani and instead yes to [some random clean energy industry].".

People are okay with bad news if you follow it up with "but we'll do X instead".

For examples of how well this works in real life see:

Clinton, Hillary

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
So does anyone have the image from Cash's phone which Chris Uhlmann showed and and the Government are going beserk about?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Beffer posted:

So does anyone have the image from Cash's phone which Chris Uhlmann showed and and the Government are going beserk about?

Here ya go.

https://twitter.com/vanOnselenP/status/969111087105810432/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

For examples of how well this works in real life see:

Clinton, Hillary

hillary’s problem wasn’t the lack of an alternative vision but that it wasn’t communicated clearly and her complete lack of charisma and likeability

very unlike shorten

wait

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Hillary had a stellar campaign organisation and very well nuanced policies. The media treated her like a seasoned political campaigner and held her to a level of scrutiny that they didn't bother with for her rodeo clown opponent. In that kind of environment complicated policy statements don't stand a chance. Trump said whatever the gently caress he wanted and the story would run as a funny piece on how outrageous he is.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The US election was also a great example of how much power legacy media has lost when it comes to influencing election outcomes.

Anyone propping up unprofitable propaganda rags (nobody comes to mind) will stop the moment those assets can no longer deliver. They aren't done yet but the graves are being dug.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Hillary had a stellar campaign organisation

hm. well,

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
She had the most annoying apparatchiks from not only America, but across the globe working for her.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah fair cop, I shouldn't imply that it led to great outcomes. What I mean is that it was extremely well resourced, relied heavily on data and expert positions and was well organised to mobilise support etc. It couldn't compete with fear and a twitter handle.

Although she did win the popular vote.

Personally I would rather have seen Bernie win, but failing that, Hillary was fine by me.

Sorry about the USPol derail.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Starshark posted:

I don't know much about international economics and the ABC article on this subject is annoying horseshit - what are the consequences for the US of Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminium?
I'm not a studied expert on the current American manufacturing or agricultural economy but in general terms:

Domestically (USA) - Everything that has steel or aluminium in it just got more expensive to buy. Manufacturers in the US will suffer (eg) Car manufacturers will face the choice of passing on the cost and becoming even less competitive or being less profitable. America's most protected sector, agriculture, will face a hostile export market and require more subsidy. So in a single motion the US cost of living just went up significantly placing pressure on inflation while simultaneously depressing several key sectors of the economy severely and only lightly damaging all the rest. In most countries if you could do a single thing that would have the exact opposite effect people would be falling over themselves to achieve it and take the credit.

Internationally - Lol. The biggest own goal in the entire history of globalisation. All of the subtle (but significant) stuff the US was trying to envoke in trade agreements to protect America's biggest commercial assets will be ignored or repudiated. Current trade deals can safely be torn up (The US just broke a bunch of them). New deals will be negotiated in an environment of the utmost hostility.

This was the pie to the face with a complimentary bucket of white wash down the trousers all to protect a bunch of aging oligarchs who didn't invest in better production techniques when it would have mattered most. Steel production is 0.3% of US GDP and shrinking (Source https://www.statista.com/statistics/191961/value-added-by-us-primary-metal-manufacturing-as-a-percentage-of-gdp/) They are(were) THE BIGGEST importer of steel ( 26.9 million tonnes PA verses a domestic output of 6.7 million tonnes PA)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Hillary couldn’t even enunciate what her policies were in a debate she literally told people to go to her website to see them instead of telling the tens of millions of people watching live

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Birdstrike posted:

Hillary couldn’t even enunciate what her policies were in a debate she literally told people to go to her website to see them instead of telling the tens of millions of people watching live

Gotta get the likes shares and subscribes mate

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

Gotta get the likes shares and subscribes mate

Leave a comment on my webzone and I’ll send you a pizza roll

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
good luck to the people of tasmania today!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

thatbastardken posted:

good luck to the people of tasmania today!

They're going to need it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Voted in Braddon - not even a democracy sausage for consolation.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

That's a bloody outrage

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
On the plus side, no gauntlet of people handing out how-to-vote cards.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
:madmax:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Capt.Whorebags posted:

and very well nuanced policies.

Very nuanced centrist/neolib policies that did not captivate the imagination of the public.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Elissimpark posted:

SMDH if you don't check snagvotes before you attend to your democratic responsibilities.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Yeah fair cop, I shouldn't imply that it led to great outcomes. What I mean is that it was extremely well resourced, relied heavily on data and expert positions and was well organised to mobilise support etc. It couldn't compete with fear and a twitter handle.
On the other hand she basically ignored places like Wisconsin.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Elissimpark posted:

Wait, there's places without a fuckton of people handing out how to vote cards?

To be fair, I live in Dobell, a very marginal seat for federal elections.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Elissimpark posted:

Denison. My democracy sausage was actually two sausages smothered with onions and chutney, lovingly hugged by fresh pita bread.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxPKNX1oWyw

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
what on earth are the shillerymen doing in here

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

Sitting in a darkened room, crafting posts out of my own excrement and furious that not only did Trump win, Trumbull thinks he's got some great ideas.

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
why is nobody mentioning the true nsw crisis of the moment, which is that according to my sources the city of newcastle is completely out of weed

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Wouldn't that represent a unique business opportunity then

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

The circle jerk thread in GBS is the same group of She Speaks For Me hillfolk insiders reposting the same things every day non stop.

I guess they're desperately craving validation or something. On SA of all places. And Auspol at that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-02/sally-zou-tweets-image-of-cheque-to-sa-liberals/9504732

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I read this so you have to as well

quote:

Welcome to the AFR Weekend Sealed Section, in which our readers share their sauciest sexy secrets with our very own mistress of the mattress, our reaper of the rumours, the ever-so-naughty Madame Michaelia Lash.

Dear Michaelia,

It was one of those humid, sultry afternoons. Me and all the other girls in Bill's office had been slaving away all day and I was feeling hot and sticky all over. My job involves taking all the large brown envelopes full of hundred dollar bills and Tippex-ing out any weird letters scribbled on them like C,F,M,E and U and I have to confess, it gets pretty boring coz there are so many of them! I was feeling restless, when Bill came in! All the girls immediately sat bolt upright, thrusting out their breasts, hoping to attract just one glance from our sexy boss! And then he made a beeline straight towards me! I could feel all the other girls' eyes on me! He'd never even looked twice at me before! His name is Bill (*not his real name – ed) and he speaks in this hypnotic voice that makes me go quivery all over when he says "wiv" and "uvver". He was eating a meat pie and muttering some pretty steamy things under his breath about what he'd like to do to the Chinese chick in the pie shop! I was soooo jealous! The gravy was trickling down the corner of his mouth. He licked his lips, and I started to feel really randy! He stared at me. Could he read my most intimate thoughts? "I need some cash," he said. "I'm going to see Adani." I was suddenly overcome with a sense of rage and jealousy. Who was Adani? I'd never even heard of her before today! Some hot Indian chick in a sea-through sari? Some Swedish bombshell in Accounts? Some slutty union whore with big breasts under her Hi Viz Vest? What had this mysterious Adani done to catch his eye? What hope did I have? "So you've really got the hots for Adani?" I said, seductively crossing my legs so my skirt slid up my thigh. He looked around nervously. "No, er, I mean, yes, er, I mean, no," he stammered. He looked terrified! He couldn't meet my eyes! I raised a quizzical eyebrow. "Really, Bill?" I said, in my huskiest dominatrix voice, "is that a yes or a no? Adani and I would both like to know…" Bill started sweating profusely. "No! ... Yes! ... No! ... Yes! ... " he gasped. "It all depends on who I'm talking wiv!" he finally exploded, collapsing at my feet in a quivering heap. And at that moment I knew I had him exactly where I wanted him!

Dear Michaelia,

All my life I have only ever had one secret fantasy: to be swept off my feet by a smiling, smirking, grinning millionaire and taken to Paris where together we would pointlessly splash out billions of dollars just for the fun of it! We'd book a suite at the Hotel Georges V off the Champs Elysees and roll around laughing on a big double bed covered in piles of other peoples' money! Maybe the handsome French President would drop by and invite us to a champagne breakfast at Versailles with his schoolteacher mistress! I'd wear my most expensive Chanel outfit and my Louboutin shoes and smile for the paparazzi! But I knew I would never be able to realise my secret fantasy unless I found a man who shared my darkest desires. A man from Goldman Sachs, perhaps! Or an Ozemail millionaire! Or a man with a harbourside mansion! Maybe all three! It would be our naughty secret! We'd call it our Paris Agreement!

Dear Michaelia,

I work in a very high-powered position at the highest levels of the public service. But I have a secret fetish that I can no longer contain. I suffer from a sexual perversion that is known as "unconscious bias". It means I fantasise about all the old, white men hard at work around me and in my mind I replace them all with pretty young brown women, or Indigenous gay men, or Muslim transsexuals in the middle of transitioning, or middle-aged lesbians, or buxom queer African women with frizzy hair, or ... the list just goes on and on! It keeps me awake at night! I can't concentrate on the boring mundane stuff like running the country or keeping the economy growing! What should I do?

Dear Michaelia,

I am a creature of the night, a prowler of the darkness. I abhor the sound of machinery, of industrialisation, of work and toil. I crave the stillness of the wind whistling through slow-turning blades. I long for total blackness, everywhere. Am I normal? Jay, SA.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

rear end frog posted:

why is nobody mentioning the true nsw crisis of the moment, which is that according to my sources the city of newcastle is completely out of weed

Doritos stock plummets.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

rear end frog posted:

Then what the hell is my nephew smoking?

He reckons he's got a huge plant out the back. Might have a wander later and see if he's making that up or not.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Good of PvO to name check the thread.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I read this so you have to as well

Dear Michaelia,

I am a creature of the night, a prowler of the darkness. I abhor the sound of machinery, of industrialisation, of work and toil. I crave the stillness of the wind whistling through slow-turning blades. I long for total blackness, everywhere. Am I normal? Jay, SA.

That last one there made me laugh. The rest were weirdly creepy.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

DancingShade posted:

The circle jerk thread in GBS is the same group of She Speaks For Me hillfolk insiders reposting the same things every day non stop.

I guess they're desperately craving validation or something. On SA of all places. And Auspol at that.

What the he'll are you even talking about you loving weirdo :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Intoluene posted:

Wait, there's places without a fuckton of people handing out how to vote cards?

To be fair, I live in Dobell, a very marginal seat for federal elections.

Handing out how to vote cards outside the polling booth is illegal in Tasmania for state elections.

• Locked thread